Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2015, 21:19   #91
BHPian

Re: Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine

There are strong rumours that the Polo GTI will be launched with both DSG and MT gearbox. The car will have a limited run (number not yet finalized) and the pricing will not be as good as most people are expecting. Expect the price range to be between Rs. 16-22 lakhs ex-showroom depending on whether the car is imported as a CBU or assembled here and the transmission on offer. Hope this helps.
Old 30th July 2015, 21:48   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^If this limited number of cars is true, it will be good if they number the cars like the Palio S10 or the Vespa Exclusivo.
250 is a good quantity i feel

But I don't expect it to be under 20 lakhs considering the fact that its a CBU.
And so its a much better alternative to its chief competitors- Beetle and 500

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 30th July 2015 at 21:51.
Old 30th July 2015, 22:05   #93
BHPian

In the close up interior shots that //M put up, this seems to be the audio system. Its a very feature rich system with Mirror Link, navigation etc.

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-volkswagenpoloaudiosystemworldcarsinfo.jpg

Image source: worldcarsinfo.com

Hope it finds its way onto our shores and just not on the test car.
Old 30th July 2015, 22:47   #94
BHPian

Limited numbers are good. But who is going to buy this car are 25 lakh. The main downside of this car as opposed to cars like the fiat 500, beetle or the mini is that, it is very similar to the regular polo save for the subtle body kit. It would be not so nice to be mistaken for a modded polo!
VW seriously need to think twice before positioning this car. Even the mini sells in paltry numbers. It would be a surprise if VW manages to push a handful of these at 25+ lakhs. They would rather do better with this engine in the Jetta and add on a subtle body kit. It would at least attract a few other people. Yes, the Jetta with this engine would pale in comparison to the gti, but it would make more marketing sense.

If VW is really listening, a 12-13 L gti would be super even in the 1.4 guise.
Old 31st July 2015, 01:13   #95
BHPian

A polo (no matter how powerful) can never be in the same league as the Beetle, Mini or Fiat 500, simply because it lacks pedigree and panache. So, going down the CBU route makes no sense.

VW has all the technology, range of engine/transmission & manufacturing capability right here to change its fortunes. Two surefire ways include:

1) Polo GT TDi + DSG @ 9.99 lakhs (aimed at pragmatic enthusiasts that appreciate convenience)
2) Polo 1.4 TSI GTi + DSG @ 11.99 lakhs (for people that want something more exciting than the regular GT)

Launch both these models by Diwali and listen to their cash registers go ka-ching ka-ching!

This way, they have a car for every kind of buyer out there.
ashwin489 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 07:46   #96
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, they seem to have kept the car quite clean in terms of cosmetic upgrades. I hope they don't water down the suspension set up citing 'Indian Conditions', cause if it ain't stiff, you can't wring that 1.8l engine.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 09:24   #97
BHPian

Ok, for 25Lakhs is it too much to ask for 2015 Mark 7 Golf GTi fully loaded autobahn edition with the lighting package included ?
May be not because the autobahn edition comes with 2.0 L TSI engine.

Last edited by super.cars : 31st July 2015 at 09:26.
Old 31st July 2015, 10:56   #98
BHPian

20+ Lakh for Polo will be a bit too much for our market. 20L for Golf with this engine will be a more realistic option I believe. If they can sell the Jetta with 1.4L at around 14 lakh, I don't see any reason why can't do it for Golf 1.8L at 20L. This will be a perfect hot hatch for India.
Old 31st July 2015, 12:31   #99
BHPian

I was considering going for the Punto TJET when it launches later this year however after following this thread i've changed my mind. I'd definitely be willing to exchange my sparingly run GT TSI and splurge on this hot hatch as long as the on road price does not exceed the 20 lakh mark. If i wanted to spend more than that price i would certainly consider something more exclusive such as a Mini or Beetle since these cars are unique in terms of their design. I wouldnt want to spend a truck load of money and end up with a car that looks very similar to the run of the mill Polo that you find everywhere just for the sake of a 1.8L TSI mill and other extra features.
Old 31st July 2015, 13:07   #100

Wow... Polo 1.8L GTi..

Does it mean that i will not have any delays/issues in sourcing parts for my Octy vRS? it is the same Engine & components? Will it be a kinda second life for the Octys (vRS)

Fingers-crossed!!
Old 31st July 2015, 14:00   #101
BHPian

Nope, unfortunately not! The new Petrol Turbo engines from the VAG are the TSi (Turbo Stratified Injection) and is an evolution of the engine found on the Octy mk1 TPI (Turbo Petrol)

But there are plenty of parts available in our market - you need to know where to search/whom to ask in your city or directly import. Your VIN# can also tell you the car BOM (Bill of Material).

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Gurupprasad View Post
Wow... Polo 1.8L GTi..

Does it mean that i will not have any delays/issues in sourcing parts for my Octy vRS? it is the same Engine & components? Will it be a kinda second life for the Octys (vRS)

Fingers-crossed!!
Old 31st July 2015, 14:49   #102
BHPian

Watch this 2015 1.8L Polo GTi video after 3:40 The reviewer is not certain whether the exhaust note heard after turning on "sports" mode is actually from the exhaust or artificially fed through the speakers

Old 31st July 2015, 18:56   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
Limited numbers are good. But who is going to buy this car are 25 lakh. The main downside of this car as opposed to cars like the fiat 500, beetle or the mini is that, it is very similar to the regular polo save for the subtle body kit. It would be not so nice to be mistaken for a modded polo!
VW seriously need to think twice before positioning this car. Even the mini sells in paltry numbers. It would be a surprise if VW manages to push a handful of these at 25+ lakhs. They would rather do better with this engine in the Jetta and add on a subtle body kit. It would at least attract a few other people. Yes, the Jetta with this engine would pale in comparison to the gti, but it would make more marketing sense.

If VW is really listening, a 12-13 L gti would be super even in the 1.4 guise.
I know how everyone is under the impression that this would just look like a modded Polo and why would anyone pay 2-4 times the price of the car which looks the same.

Well I was under the same impression too but a friend of mine mentioned isn't that how the 3 series is with the M3, or the Mercedes' and their AMG counterparts? All these super cars are sold at 3 times the price of their regular versions, take the 3 series and M3 for instance.

So in the end these cars are targeted at an enthusiast who wouldn't mind paying the high price tag even though it looks something like a regular day to day car.
sweetvar26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 19:01   #104
BHPian

Instead of bringing a CBU Polo it really makes more sense to get the acclaimed Golf GTI in its various trim levels. It is much more spacious inside and with a bigger boot. Golf can thus be positioned as the premium luxury hatch of VW which they intend to do with Polo. Problem with Polo is it's already more than 5 years old in India. We in India cannot fathom how one can pay 20 lakhs for the same old car with new engine and some cosmetic updates.
Old 31st July 2015, 19:54   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
Watch this 2015 1.8L Polo GTi video after 3:40 The reviewer is not certain whether the exhaust note heard after turning on "sports" mode is actually from the exhaust or artificially fed through the speakers
He is sure, it is being artificially fed through the speakers. And the conclusion is that the extra sports-pack is not worth the money. I agree, and extra hard suspension is not practical - especially for India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks