Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2015, 20:03   #106
BHPian

Re: Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
I know how everyone is under the impression that this would just look like a modded Polo and why would anyone pay 2-4 times the price of the car which looks the same.

Well I was under the same impression too but a friend of mine mentioned isn't that how the 3 series is with the M3, or the Mercedes' and their AMG counterparts? All these super cars are sold at 3 times the price of their regular versions, take the 3 series and M3 for instance.

So in the end these cars are targeted at an enthusiast who wouldn't mind paying the high price tag even though it looks something like a regular day to day car.
You are right about these 'M' s 'AMG's and 'RS's selling at a price 2-3 times higher than normal versions of them even in India, but when it comes to our market there is a change in scenario. IMHO for an average guy the M or AMG badging dosent matter. When a common man in India sees a car from BMW, Audi or Benz, it dosent matter to him. He will notice only the brand , not the badge on it. They are getting noticed only by someone who is interested or informed in cars.

Same scenario comes to the buyers, as car buying in india is mainly driven by aspiration; only an enthusiast who is well known of the potential of this car may go for it, that too for 20-24 lakh i feel its not worth the money, If it was a Golf for this kind of money, or the price is around 14-18, things will be different. Otherwise its only for the true breed enthusiasts. I may be wrong though

I dont think VW have that brand image yet to do what the big Germans are doing now.

I hope all these speculations about price were wrong and VW launches it with a mouthwatering price

Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 17:39   #107
Senior - BHPian

I don't think it is here to be introduced in India. May be they would make it here and export. 14-18 pricing is not going to work out. Otherwise they should come in with a surprise. Or maybe this is another car for the polo cup races.
Old 2nd August 2015, 07:52   #108
BANNED

The GTI will be only a halo car.

Definition of halo car:

An automobile that is launched merely to draw attention to the brand.

So regardless of whatever we may write here to reduce the price, be prepared for a launch price of Rs.30 lakhs. Anything less and count ourselves lucky.

Selling this car in numbers will defeat the objective VW has in bringing the car to India.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:29   #109
BHPian

IMO, Golf GTi would be a much better halo than the Polo GTi. Anyway, at the least i hope they bring 1.4 TSI GT within reach of the common man.
super.cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:45   #110
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
IMO, Golf GTi would be a much better halo than the Polo GTi. Anyway, at the least i hope they bring 1.4 TSI GT within reach of the common man.
I couldn't agree more. The Golf GTi would be a superb addition to the Indian market. Sadly however, it will be expensive and the average bloke will simply pass it by in favour of the "Sedan" or "SUV" largely on account of "space".

I would love a Golf. But Im not sure it will do more for me than my Yeti does.
Old 2nd August 2015, 17:30   #111
BHPian

If they do launch the 1.8TSi GTi in all likelihood it would be a CBU, especially if they are planning a limited run. Too many different parts, wiring, etc.

However I do hope that would give us an option to build to order. I for one would do away with the sunroof, LED headlamps, infotainment unit (that's if the nav doesn't work here) to bring down the costs.

From a very personal perspective I would be able to justify an 18 lakh road price to my pocket, though it would be very wishful thinking. Why? look at all the modded TSis out there. People are easily spending 2 lakhs + at the very least on these cars, front and rear bumpers, skirts, grills, MFSW, Xenon headlamps, remaps, better ICE etc. If I were to have bought a TSi I would have easily spent a further 3 lakhs on modifications, easily. If I can get all these 'mods' from VW directly with the added benefits of the 1.8TSi, their version of LSD, powerful brakes at a higher markup - why not? In a city like Bangalore I would prefer to have a hatch for my small family (a powerful one at that) and maybe a butch value-for-money SUV for the extended family runs out of state.

On the other hand I don't believe this would cost more than 25 lakhs on road, like someone said 30 lakhs earlier. Whatever said and done a VW is not as premium as BMW / Mercedes or its big sister Audi. Pricing a GTi close to an A3 / A class / 1 series would be counter-intuitive.

Another point to ponder is that the GTi is available for round about AUD 30,000 in Australia, that's roughly 14 lakhs.

While it would be foolish to expect such prices in India, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for sub 20-lakh pricing, which may still be considered stupidity by some.

Like many have stated the Indian market has changed a lot over the last decade. I do hope all manufacturers take notice and cater to *most* of our needs and desires
shefiu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 19:47   #112
BHPian

This is the kind of niche, halo product that catapults a brand into the hearts and minds of petrolheads (see: Skoda's Octy VRS and the upcoming 595 Abarth). VW USA does a fantastic 2-door Golf GTI stick shift that almost no one buys but every gearhead wants. The potential over-pricing, I think, doesn't change that one bit; an 18 lakh rupee hot hatch sounds about right, reasonable even if it's CBU. On the other hand if they price it at 12, this could really be a game changer for VW's currently woeful fortunes.

Last edited by Stigissimo : 2nd August 2015 at 20:08.
Old 5th August 2015, 18:59   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Tushky for sharing the latest pics!

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-gti-front.jpg

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-gti-rear.jpg

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-gti-interior.jpg
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 19:49   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

One question that I have in my mind since a few days-why is VW testing these cars without any camouflage whatsoever?

I remember they also tested the Up sometime ago without any camouflage and that never made it to India.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2838118

I just hope it is not the same case with this one.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 5th August 2015 at 20:11. Reason: Edit: pasted the link of VW Up testing
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 20:15   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
One question that I have in my mind since a few days-why is VW testing these cars without any camouflage whatsoever?
I guess the best camouflage for this would be no camouflage at all, because 99% of the people out there won't be able to tell the difference from the regular Polo. In fact come to think of it, it would attract more attention with camouflage!
StarScream is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 22:07   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

I remember they also tested the Up sometime ago without any camouflage and that never made it to India.
AFAIK they shelved Up! because they did not find it feasible to manufacture it at the target price which they market would have paid for such a car.

Up! would have been a mass market car and hence cost and value factor were key to it. GTI will be a halo brand building product so VW will not feel restricted by such considerations (though I hope they look at localisation and assembly as options especially in light of rumoured Abarth Punto prices).
Old 6th August 2015, 05:12   #117
Senior - BHPian

Wow! That's spectacular. The mother of all sleepers.

I am pretty sure I won't get to drive it, let alone buy it if VW does bring it here. But I am very happy and excited to see this scoop. Mighty kudos to VW. I do hope people with loads of money who don't mind the badge or space do lap this car up. It will cost a lot of money and the owner will probably have to keep his or her mouth shut about the money paid for this car.

This Polo, if it makes it here will be right at the top of most desirable Indian cars of all times. Superb! I am so happy. We definitely need more cars like these over here.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 11:47   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigissimo View Post
This is the kind of niche, halo product that catapults a brand into the hearts and minds of petrolheads (see: Skoda's Octy VRS and the upcoming 595 Abarth). VW USA does a fantastic 2-door Golf GTI stick shift that almost no one buys but every gearhead wants. The potential over-pricing, I think, doesn't change that one bit; an 18 lakh rupee hot hatch sounds about right, reasonable even if it's CBU. On the other hand if they price it at 12, this could really be a game changer for VW's currently woeful fortunes.
The pricing I agree with - this 30 lakh rubbish that Fiat has done with the 595 is a non-starter, halo or no halo. I mean, if a car is so overpriced that it's not seen on the roads where is the halo effect?

With the GTI, VW will face a similar sort of dilemma. Even if this is seen a lot on the roads, it'll do nothing for them because it'll get mistaken most of the time as just another Polo. The way to go is to build on the success of the GT and price this reasonably by doing some smart things like making it locally or bring it as a CKD to avoid the usurious CBU taxes. But that'll need some commitment from VW and in my experience most manufacturers are risk averse and take the easy, low-commitment CBU route.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 11:56   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The pricing I agree with - this 30 lakh rubbish that Fiat has done with the 595 is a non-starter, halo or no halo. I mean, if a car is so overpriced that it's not seen on the roads where is the halo effect?

With the GTI, VW will face a similar sort of dilemma. Even if this is seen a lot on the roads, it'll do nothing for them because it'll get mistaken most of the time as just another Polo. The way to go is to build on the success of the GT and price this reasonably by doing some smart things like making it locally or bring it as a CKD to avoid the usurious CBU taxes. But that'll need some commitment from VW and in my experience most manufacturers are risk averse and take the easy, low-commitment CBU route.
Here is a thought: They are the biggest car maker in the world struggling to create an impression in India, so why can't they just sell it at a loss and restrict the supply (so that they have a handle on the losses). That should ensure big demand and the 'hard to get' factor will ensure good desirability and halo effect for the brand.

Asking for too much?
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 12:53   #120
Team-BHP Support

In my opinion, irrespective of whether a CBU or local assembly a maximum of 50% premium over a regular polo GT TSI maybe a good price for this car. A pricing of around 30 lakhs sounds alright for a Golf GTI, but not so much for the Polo.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks