Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 16:03   #76
BHPian

Re: Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine

Surely a worthy successor to my OHC Vtec, ;-)! Though the 0-100 timings are not that great, but thanks to the 320Nm the in gear acceleration will be something to look out for and also the fact that doing a remap on this will take it to to supersonic level's! If VW even hints at getting this car to India, I would join the queue to buy this beauty!! Mmmuaah!!

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 29th July 2015 at 16:10.
Old 29th July 2015, 17:03   #77
BHPian

Is it wishful thinking to expect this car at a 12 lac (ex-showroom) rupee price point?

Anyway, I would still go for GT TDI DSG if launched around 9.2 lacs ex showroom.

I'll try to do a little math around the GTI pricing. This is over the GT TSI:
It is a euro spec car (add 2 lacs for that); this means better quality interiors and better parts overall; things like MFD, Head unit etc.
It has a sunroof (add 1 lac for that);
It has a 1.8 TSi engine ( add 1 lac for that);
It will not fall under the sub 4m category due to the engine size (add 1 lac for that);
Add 1 lac for better internal (different DSG) and Wheels;

Boy! this is already touching 15 lacs ex showroom; and if its a CBU; add anoth 2-3 lacs.

This is a 20 lac rupee car. IMO not worth it; I would but an Octavia TSI instead. That's just me!!

Last edited by Crazy_Bean : 29th July 2015 at 17:11.
Old 29th July 2015, 17:17   #78
Team-BHP Support

Guys lets not get carried away with the prices. Its a CBU, and it looks to be fully loaded with LED headlamps, etc. I would expect it to be 25l on road. So expect to be disappointed
Akshay1234 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 17:28   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Guys lets not get carried away with the prices. Its a CBU, and it looks to be fully loaded with LED headlamps, etc. I would expect it to be 25l on road. So expect to be disappointed
VW has invested big money in manufacturing their cars in India. The Polo is supposed to be their top selling model. They have the car here and the engine. They are struggling with volumes to feed this factory and justify the investment. I just can't see any logic in importing a Polo of all things for India and price it crazily. If they really want to sell this car in India over a sustained period they will have to make it here. A CBU Polo GTI at 25L will not add any value to the brand, rather it will do more damage to it as people will start relating to VW as a crazy expensive German Brand. "You know how much a Top end Polo costs???"

To VW : A Jetta 1.8 TSI at 25L sounds right, not a Polo
We don't need the LED lamps or the Sunroof. Just give us your regular Polo, with the 1.8 TSI engine, with better brakes and dampers, name it GTI and we'll bite.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 29th July 2015 at 17:38.
Santoshbhat is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 19:27   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post

I'll try to do a little math around the GTI pricing. This is over the GT TSI:
It is a euro spec car (add 2 lacs for that); this means better quality interiors and better parts overall; things like MFD, Head unit etc.
It has a sunroof (add 1 lac for that);
It has a 1.8 TSi engine ( add 1 lac for that);
It will not fall under the sub 4m category due to the engine size (add 1 lac for that);
Add 1 lac for better internal (different DSG) and Wheels;

Boy! this is already touching 15 lacs ex showroom; and if its a CBU; add anoth 2-3 lacs.

This is a 20 lac rupee car. IMO not worth it; I would but an Octavia TSI instead. That's just me!!
Little OT but an interesting co incidence. I had just stepped out after reading these posts and I suddenly saw this:

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-img_20150729_1847182.jpg

For a moment, I thought: What/How?? Turned out to be a GT TSI nicely modded to look like the GTI with a Petes remap, Bilstein Suspension, Borbet Alloys, Black roof and the GTI badge.

Hope VW is not planning for a similar 'modded' Indian version of GTI.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 20:51   #81
BHPian

Would be cool if they give us different trim levels for the gti, if they are launching it here.

The highline versions can get all the goodies like dsg, sunroof, led lamps, high end HU, high end instrument cluster, electric seats the works...etc.

The trendline versions however would gets a manual and the same stuff available on the normal highline polo. Of course safety equipment and the way the car drives ( stuff under the skin ) remains the same.

There you go, a choice for everyone.
Trendline should be max 14 lakh OTR and highline can touch maximum 19 lakhs.

I think it's a sweet deal.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 21:50   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Caught on camera yesterday at Chakan, the Polo 1.8 GTI.
Was having quite a hectic day today and this post just lightened it up for me.
This is the absolute hot hatch of today's market.
I hope they are going to launch this in India. However this model with its all options cost 22,600£ here in the UK , roughly 21L INR.
However if you look on the other side, in the UK Polo Starts at around 11,000£ for the base model and in India it starts at 5L INR. So if VW plans to launch this in India at 12-13 Lakh it might well be the hot hatchback segment that many of the enthusiasts were waiting for.

Alcantara leather seats, sunroof and new navigational system - Just sweet.
Old 29th July 2015, 21:51   #83
BHPian

Guys keep the 15 lakhs and above guesses on the DL. Vw might look at this thread and say what the heck, why not? they already expect it to be above 20 lakhs!!
So let's keep the 12 lakh guess going.
But wait if vw read these forums their a.s.s (after sales and service) might have improved.
Jokes apart. The car cannot be above 20lakhs when the octy sedan with more features and space is priced in that range.
It would be one heck of a car but a vw polo for 20lakhs just sounds plain weird.
vinj14 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 10:49   #84

I feel Indian market is a more economical type. In this price band of 15l to 18l people will be thinking to step a notch above the mid- level sedans, like Chevy Cruze. The big question that arises in our mind is, why buy a hatchback when you can get an entry level Premium sedan. If VW is planning to get the 1.8TSI its a great thought from the company only to boost its image as a premium segment company, placing themselves above the competitors now, as they are also brainy enough not to bring down they car before analysing the market. VW knows that this car is not a hot seller. But its like icing on cake for car enthusiasts with a big bank balance
Old 30th July 2015, 16:48   #85
BHPian

Thinking of a GTI with lesser features to have lower pricing is wishful thinking at its best.

Remember this car is not made here! It is imported!
You can't just change the assembly line for one country especially when said country won't bring in huge volumes for the car maker. Plus a halo car has to have all the features you can cram into it.

The GTI will be launched as it is sold in the international market. You can bet on it.

The only real benefit we could have got would have been if VW had decided to launch a manual transmission GTI variant. This variant is available internationally. But I doubt that is going to happen. Manual in India stands for cheap and Auto in India stands for expensive. So an expensive car is expected to have a auto-box. Enthusiasts be damned.

I don't know what the pricing will be but anything under 20lacs on road is not a bad deal.
Tell me one car that can keep up with this car in the same price range.
0-100km/h is under 7 seconds!!
Old 30th July 2015, 17:14   #86
BHPian

Now from Volkswagen's perspective, they'd surely be planning to reserve a price slot for upcoming Taigun. So placing it's Halo product, GTI near 12-13L which might very well overlap with Taigun (even Vento for that matter) won't be a very good idea. (I wish I'm wrong here)

At the same time, pricing it over 20L (CBU/CKD) will make it a dud even before it's launch & so in my opinion, they won't make this mistake. Also, they'd most probably go with maximum localisation in order make a good number of exports too & clinch the top spot (world).
Old 30th July 2015, 17:17   #87
BHPian

180ps in FWD guise? Would be soo exciting if this one debuted with AWD/quattro, isn't it?

I have driven kei cars in Japan with AWD. Quick nimble cars, those..
Old 30th July 2015, 18:13   #88
Senior - BHPian

A SKoda Octavia 1.8 TSI costs 20Lacs ex-showroom
A VW polo GT tsi cost roughly 8.6 lacs ex-showroom

Polo 1.6 (GT tsi equivalent) in Malaysia costs 15,00,000 INR equivalent
POlo GTI in Malaysia costs 26,00,000 INR equivalent

Since polo 1.6 price is double of what Polo GT tsi costs in India
We can assume Polo GTI to be around 12-13 Lacs.

Add to this the fact that Polo is highly localized by now in India. So a price of 11-12 lacs seems to be fair.

Additionally, this is a step to take on Punto Abarth and other hot hatches pouring into our market. They need to be competitive.
Old 30th July 2015, 18:59   #89
BANNED

realistic pricing to be able to make this move from showrooms is under 12 lacs. I don't see anyone paying more than that for this.

The 1.4 tsi in a gti like china would also have a much better chance at having a reasonable price.

1.8 tsi/dsg minus led headlights, sunroof, fancy stereo, 17in alloys and all fancy stufff can be sold by vw in india at a very competitive price and will be lapped up by the enthusiasts.

Probably give the fancy stuff as options is the way to go wherein people can choose what they want in their gti.

put in 1.4/1.8 + dsg with the very basic/medium level everything else and see the gti fly out of showrooms....!!!

Our market is ready for cars like gti punto abarth etc but it has to be priced right.

If priced right its going to create a lot of heart burn and regret in people who just only recently got the gt tsi. my brother is ready for gt tsi but we are holding out just for the pricing on this....

Last edited by rana_kirti : 30th July 2015 at 19:17.
rana_kirti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 19:47   #90
BHPian

Simple interiors, MT/DSG but equipped with ABS/Airbags and other driver aids. I would wish VW will equip this with an open harness a la Toyota GT 86 GL so that customizations could be done later. Price it competitively and this could just work out..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks