Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2015, 11:16   #1
Team-BHP Support

Renault India signs Ranbir Kapoor as brand ambassador

Renault has been in the automobile industry for 117 years and is celebrating its fourth year anniversary in India this month. The French Company has announced Bollywood actor Ranbir Kapoor as its brand ambassador.

Renault India signs Ranbir Kapoor as brand ambassador-ranbir-kapoor-renault-indias-new-brand-ambassador-pic-1.jpg

Ranbir Kapoor belongs to one of Bollywood's most prominent families, with a long legacy in Indian cinema. He has received commercial and critical recognition for box office successes of movies like Rajneeti, Rockstar, Barfi and Wake up Sid. In the past, he has endorsed the Micra hatchback, which is built by Renault's alliance partner, Nissan.

Renault India signs Ranbir Kapoor as brand ambassador-ranbir-kapoor-mr.-sumit-sawhney-country-ceo-md-renault-india.jpg

Renault is looking at expanding its presence across India. The company is planning a product offensive and wants to expand the dealership network as well. It is planning to have 280 sales and service outlets by the end of next year.
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 12:05   #2
BHPian

Re: Renault India signs Ranbir Kapoor as brand ambassador

So after exchanging the parts with Nissan now they are doing it with the brand ambassador!
So the Ranbir will be in the Renault Kwid ad?
Hope so!
RavSam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 12:36   #3
BHPian

Earlier Ranbir Kapoor was brand ambassador for Nissan Motors for Nissan Micra ad.
dsnaveen21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 12:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Now we know who will get the first "official" GTR in India
Sahil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 13:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

This decision by Renault must have been definitely a result of the tremendous welcome the Nissan Micra received in India due to Ranbir Kapoor's patronage!
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 14:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I am always surprised that this whole idea of brand ambassadors actually (seems to) works. So a manufacturere pays some celibrity money and or gives him or her free goodies to promote their product and people actually value that and buy said product?? It must be working, because it is still happening all around the world, but if just baffles me.

If a celibritity thows his/jher weight behind say a charity and dedicates his/her time to promote it, free o fcharge, I might take notice.

But this, correct me if I'm wrong, is just a (probably well) paid assignement. Why do we listen to somebody who gets paid to say (only) great things about a brand?

It might backfire as well. So I like watches, Breitling for instance, whose brand ambassador is John Travolta. I like him as an actor, and I even appreciate the fact that he is also quite an accomplishd pilot. But he is also about as whacky as they come, what with his scientology connection.

The other day somebody noticed my Navitimer and asked me if I was also a scientology member??

Remarkable.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 14:39   #7
BHPian

Is that a bad Photoshop on the first image ? Ranbir looks more than a feet taller than Duster.
abhi29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 17:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Earlier Ranbir Kapoor was brand ambassador for Nissan Motors for Nissan Micra ad.
Here's the Team-BHP discussion from when that happened : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1926879
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 16:12   #9
BHPian

Do brand ambassadors really work? I mean, are there people who will go to check out the Duster just because they see XYZ personality (completely unrelated to motoring) endorsing it? Also, I really wonder if any film star will bother to actually own and drive a Duster?? And the common guy in the market for a Duster surely knows that!

If they have money to burn, why not on improving the Duster itself? Or if endorsement is what they seek, why not by personalities associated with motoring?
Old 29th July 2015, 19:26   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Number of people how know Nissan Micra exists - 10

Number of people know Ranbir Kapoor endorsed the Micra - 2/10

Number of people who know Ranbir jumped shipped from Nissan to Renault - 1/10

Number of people who remember that Anil Kapoor (ya another Kapoor) endorsed Renault - 1(?)/10

Number of people who make their purchase decision or associate Renault-Nissan with any of the Kapoors - Anyones guess
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 20:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Do brand ambassadors really work? I mean, are there people who will go to check out the Duster just because they see XYZ personality (completely unrelated to motoring) endorsing it?
It worked for Hyundai with Shah Rukh Khan endorsing the Santro.

It didn't work for Maruti Udyog when Amitabh and Abhishek Bachchan endorsed the Versa.

It didn't work for Nissan with the Micra, IMO the sales are pretty mediocre.

It didn't work for Fiat with Sachin Tendulkar - though the S10 was limited edition itself, Palios sold reasonably well but nowhere near a big hit the way Swift or i10 did.

John Abraham and Yamaha - Yamaha was selling well before JA, and selling well after JA. No difference.

Salman and Suzuki ? Not much momentum after initial interest, sales fizzed.
Aamir Khan and Mahindra ? Best forgotten!

Who did I forget?

EDIT : The ladies, I forgot the ladies !

Priyanka Chopra and Hero Motors - did reasonably well promoting the "why should boys have all the fun" Pleasure. Then lost steam, and Alia Bhatt doesn't seem to be getting the numbers back.

Anushka Sharma and TVS Scooty - it was selling quite well before Anushka's endorsement, so no change I could discern.

Last edited by Ricci : 29th July 2015 at 20:36.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 10:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
This decision by Renault must have been definitely a result of the tremendous welcome the Nissan Micra received in India due to Ranbir Kapoor's patronage!
And the Hero Impulse.

RK can probably endorse the sales of the Pleasure or a Scooty for obvious reasons, but trying it in muscular territory may not be the best move for Renault.

Daniil Kvyat perhaps for the Kwid, one would hope!

Most Viewed