Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 12:22   #16
BHPian

re: Step by Step Guide: Paying 'One Time Tax' for an out-of-state car in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
FYI - I did get back my balance Life Time Tax paid to Pune RTO
AJ
Congrats! So maybe God exists after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivtho View Post
After a lot of talking they finally deigned to look up the value of the car from their database. In other words, they have the information, they're just too lazy to pull it up.
That is criminal! But at least you managed it, which means it is possible for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Also, Once you have paid the LTT, the registration needs to be changed within 11 months.
Unsure about this part, and this does not seem congruent with what I am told. To change the Registration I would require an NOC, for which my vehicle would have to go back to Gurgaon. How pointless! By this logic, all people with transferable jobs will keep getting their vehicle registration changed all their life! Let us hope that a rational transport bill is around the corner!
Old 29th July 2015, 12:24   #17
BHPian

Quote:
I did something similar -- changed my car's registration from KL to MH. We didn't have the original invoice or any proof of the car's value. The only document we had was an old insurance document stating the insured value - which was not accepted as proof of value. After a lot of talking they finally deigned to look up the value of the car from their database. In other words, they have the information, they're just too lazy to pull it up.
Would you remember the difference in the value (in % terms) they used for calculation of LTT as compared to IDV?

Thanks.
Old 29th July 2015, 12:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed information !
I am in the same boat as you were. Currently driving a KA registered car in Pune. I wanted to change the registration as well but since the car has been bought on loan, SBI refused to give an NOC saying I need to repay the loan before taking the car out of state. I knew that loan can be transferred to Pune Branch but The SBI Bank manager of MG Road BLR was least helpful in giving the details.

The only option now is to pay LTT here in MH before I get caught. To re-register, I will have to go to Bengaluru SBI bank, then BLR RTO for NOC and other paperwork and then visit Pune RTO
This is just not possible right now, given work and family related commitments.

Lessons learnt:
1. Car loan to be taken from a bank which is helpful. SBI is good only if you plan to drive the car is the same state where your bank is.
2. If you are frequently changing states, be ready to shell out more money and run pillar to post if you want your money back.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 12:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
Would you remember the difference in the value (in % terms) they used for calculation of LTT as compared to IDV?

Thanks.
I'm at work so I don't have the exact figures with me, but from what I remember the car was purchased in May 2011 for approximately 5.1 or 5.1 lakhs and the insured value was somewhat less (it does not include local taxes etc). The re-registration was done in Dec 2014 and considered the depreciated value of the car as approximately 3.2 lakhs. In the same period (Dec 2014), the insurance company valued the car at 2.48 lakhs.
vivtho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 12:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I too got my bike re registered in pune without using any touts, it was a painful process though.
Also, Once you have paid the LTT, the registration needs to be changed within 11 months. I paid the LTT for my bike in March and submitted the application for change in regn. in September. I was stopped at times because of my UP no. and when I showed them the LTT receipt they used to take a look at the date of payment as well.
I have a AP registered car. I came to Pune in Jan 2013 and paid the LTT within six months. It has been more than a year from that time and I have not changed the AP number. Whenever I have been stopped by cops and I showed them the LTT receipt, they have not asked me why I have still got AP plates.

I do not have any hope of getting back the LTT paid in AP. So don;t want to go through the hassle of changing the number plates too. I have paid LTT to MH, so per my understanding I am legal to drive on its roads.
catchjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 12:41   #21
BHPian

I too did not have an Invoice as my bike was a 2005 make, so I called up different showrooms and finally got an sample invoice quote for 2008 which was accepted, if no invoice is presented then they take the present market value.

Here's a brief outline of the ordeal that I went through,

For the NOC, you will need someone who can go to the RTO, get the forms, then this application will be sent to the commissioner's office (by you) after which they will check for any pending fines and then release the NOC.
Make sure you get 2 copies and not 1.

Once you have the NOC, submit it to the RTO, along with an application, the LTT receipt and other forms.
Once its signed by the RTO Officer, take the form which is addressed to the commissioner, get the entry done in Inward/Outward section and submit it at the commissioner's office.
After 3-4 days, go back to the commissioner's office & collect the stamped form.
Come back to the RTO and submit it, then you will need to go again and get the file signed by the RTO Officer again.
Once the file is signed, take the file with you and wait for 2 months.
Then take the vehicle to RTO for physical inspection where the documents will be tallied with the Chasis & Engine no. on vehicle and the file will be stamped.

When this is done, take the file back to the clerk who is going to check the whole file and approve it after which you need to again go to the RTO Officer and get it signed.
Now take this file to the registration section, where they will allot a regn. no. to you. You can make a plate displaying this no. now.

The above process took around 3-4 months for me as it was hard to skip work and they only work on Odd Saturdays.

I am still waiting for my RC to arrive and have been to the Pune RTO thrice as its been 4 months. It's still in Printing as per them.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 14:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm at work so I don't have the exact figures with me, but from what I remember the car was purchased in May 2011 for approximately 5.1 or 5.1 lakhs and the insured value was somewhat less (it does not include local taxes etc). The re-registration was done in Dec 2014 and considered the depreciated value of the car as approximately 3.2 lakhs. In the same period (Dec 2014), the insurance company valued the car at 2.48 lakhs.
Thanks for the info. If i calculate backwards, then i guess the RTO calculates depreciation at around 10%.

Below is the calculation at 10% depreciation. Your car was 3.5 years old and might have been considered in the 4th year depreciation slab.

Initial Value - 510000
After 1 Year - 459000
After 2 Years - 413100
After 3 Years - 371790
After 4 Years - 334611

Cheers,
Raj
Old 29th July 2015, 16:08   #23
BHPian

I have been looking for such a thread with the detailed steps for the road tax payment w/o registration change for a long time. Thanks a lot.

Hope the Hyderabad RTO works the same way as Pune.
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 17:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
For the NOC, you will need someone who can go to the RTO, get the forms, then this application will be sent to the commissioner's office (by you) after which they will check for any pending fines and then release the NOC.
Make sure you get 2 copies and not 1.
Two small corrections here ...

When applying for the NOC from the RTO the vehicle was originally registered, you will have to supply an empty stamped envelope addressed to the RTO where you wish to re-register the vehicle.

Although 2 copies of the NOC are made, you will only be given one. The other copy is sent directly to the new RTO by the original RTO (in that envelope you provided) - this took about a month (from Kottakayam, Kerala to Pune, MH).

Quote:
Then take the vehicle to RTO for physical inspection where the documents will be tallied with the Chasis & Engine no. on vehicle and the file will be stamped.
When taking the vehicle for physical inspection ...
  • Plan on spending at least 4 - 5 hours there
  • Your vehicle should be as 'stock' as possible. Remove any sun film, replacement silencer etc. I saw several vehicles being rejected for such reasons.
  • The person in whose name the vehicle is being registered has to be physically present.

Quote:
I am still waiting for my RC to arrive and have been to the Pune RTO thrice as its been 4 months. It's still in Printing as per them.
I started the entire process (from getting the NOC from Kottayam RTO) in September 2014 and got the new RC in my hand only in late February 2015. (I got the new number in mid-December, but it took another 2.5 months for the certificate to arrive).

Frequently, the RC gets stuck in the Post Office (even though it's sent via Speed Post). In that case the RTO will provide you the tracking number for the shipment. You need to take the tracking number to Pune GPO where there's a separate department where people can collect their RCs (As you enter the side gate of the GPO in Camp, you will see this counter to your right). Note that you need to show an ID proof as well as an Address (the same as that on the delivery) proof in order to collect the certificate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Thanks for the info. If i calculate backwards, then i guess the RTO calculates depreciation at around 10%.
Those figures look about right. Thanks!
Old 30th July 2015, 10:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
5. Yes, the job was a one-day affair only (because I had done my homework).
This is the key! Not always does one have bad experiences with the RTO. I have had several visits to RTOs in Karnataka in the last 7-8 years. I never had to visit an agent for any of the works I got done. Once or twice I had to, only for the want of time and not because that task wasn't possible. I have had experience of buying and selling several used cars (Wanted to try out many cars just like that, one life).

For me also, it all began with home work! Without which I may have faced slight difficulty in beginning. Also, Karnataka RTOs usually employ a physically challenged person who is knowledgeable about the processes and very helpful. I have had good interactions with them. I don't know if they still are there as I never had the need in past few years and bypassed all of it and straight go to the counter.

The issue with RTO processes comes from below issue, commonly forgotten:
- Why does the dealer fill all the registration forms and why does he go to RTO and do it on your behalf? Anyone questioned this ever? What % of people register the vehicle themselves? Without this experience, how will anyone get a chance to learn RTO processes?
- Understanding why certain processes exist. Why so many forms for interstate transfer and all. If one thinks reregistration is key, the point above is key. The new vehicle registration is also as complex in that case. IF you paid dealer for that work, for re-registration what's stopping you from paying? Its best to learn the process and do the work ourselves.

Over the years, KA RTO has tremendously improved its services. For most of the work, a person needs to visit the RTO only once. For almost all services, it is mandatory to attach a self addressed postal cover. They send home the updated document. I have saved several thousands of rupees by visiting RTO myself.

I have helped save several thousand rupees to many other friends too. I always recommend to talk to me if they need any help with transfer. I send them the soft copies of forms and tell them exactly how to fill and what to do at RTO.
funkykar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 00:15   #26
BHPian

Hello friends. I had a small query related to the topic being discussed in this thread.
From what I have understood and read, a vehicle with lesser than BS4 emision compliance cannot be registered in Mumbai (MH 01, 02, 03). So can a vehicle with lesser than BS4 emission standard which is registered elsewhere (say Jammu) be brought and used in Mumbai by just paying the One Time Tax (OTT)?? Will RTO accept payment of this n allow the vehicle to be used in Mumbai?

Thanks in advance.
Old 31st July 2015, 13:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Strange as it may sound, I am inclined to believe there still is hope for this country in spite of our bureaucratic processes.

Yes, the system sometimes actually works!

I am writing this post to highlight how I managed to pay the OTT (One Time Tax) at Pune RTO, Maharashtra (Address: 38, Dr. Ambedkar Road, Near Sangam Bridge, Pune 411001) for my Gurgaon Registered Car. I hope this process helps out other urban workhorses like me who just don’t know where to begin!

Main points to note:
1. No, I did not involve any agent or tout
2. No, I did not end up paying a bribe
3. No, I do not have an NOC from Gurgaon
4. Yes, I had to take a day off from work; and
5. Yes, the job was a one-day affair only (because I had done my homework).

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed procedure. But just wanted to check if it is legal to be using a vehicle in one state for more than 12 months without re- registering it in that state?

I believe the CMV act specifies that one needs to re register a vehicle in that state where he has stayed for more than 11 months. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The reason of course for me to ask this question is that I am in the same shoes as you were.

I have my Bike that was regisetred in Delhi. Have moved it to Pune, but do not have the NOC yet. Infact not sure if I will get the NOC even. It is a strange case where in RTO at Dwarka has lost my Bike's file and now they cannot issue a NOC to me unless it is found

I have brought the Bike to Pune since I had to. Now if I can use my bike without any issues in Pune by just paying the OTT as mentioned by you, I would be a relieved guy. But my research tells me that the law says you need to register your vehicle in a state if you intend to stay there for more than 11 months.

Am I right here?
Old 3rd August 2015, 17:20   #28
BHPian

Re: Step by Step Guide: Paying 'One Time Tax' for an out-of-state car in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface23 View Post
can a vehicle with lesser than BS4 emission standard which is registered elsewhere (say Jammu) be brought and used in Mumbai by just paying the One Time Tax (OTT)?? Will RTO accept payment of this n allow the vehicle to be used in Mumbai?
I'm sure they will. Why don't you contact the RTO directly or enquire with Uncle Google? You'd be surprised how much info is floating around. And Yes, search results have second and third pages too! By the way, note that the Pollution Under Control certificate also needs to be submitted. Nobody checks specifically if it is a BS4 vehicle for Private vehicles, at least. Your concern should rather be whether your vehicle supports the BS4 fuel sold in Mumbai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi,

I have my Bike that was regisetred in Delhi. Have moved it to Pune, but do not have the NOC yet. Infact not sure if I will get the NOC even. It is a strange case where in RTO at Dwarka has lost my Bike's file and now they cannot issue a NOC to me unless it is found

I have brought the Bike to Pune since I had to. Now if I can use my bike without any issues in Pune by just paying the OTT as mentioned by you, I would be a relieved guy. But my research tells me that the law says you need to register your vehicle in a state if you intend to stay there for more than 11 months.

Am I right here?
1. I'm unaware of what the Law book exactly says word for word. But I am going by what the Pune RTO people have said, since they are the people who implement the same rules. In any case, you cannot justify not paying the Tax even for the 12 months in the first place, with or Without the NOC! I suggest, you contact the Pune RTO directly. Pay the Tax, and you shall be relieved of both mental stress as well as your money. One Time Tax is different from Annual Tax, so if they are letting you pay One Time Tax without changing the number it is a fair indication maintaining a vehicle is permissible.

2. Dwarka RTO Has lost your file - Too bad, but that is not your fault! I suggest you go ahead and fill up the necessary forms (Form 28 with imprint etc) and File for an NOC anyway (The RTOs have all the records computerized, they can very well reprint your documents again if they want). You are bound to get your NOC for sure.

But the question only you can answer is, do you really need to get your number changed? Salaried class personnel like me might again get posted to another state (even back to Gurgaon) tomorrow and the same story shall recur so changing the number is quite pointless!
Old 3rd August 2015, 17:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suggest, you contact the Pune RTO directly. Pay the Tax, and you shall be relieved of both mental stress as well as your money. One Time Tax is different from Annual Tax, so if they are letting you pay One Time Tax without changing the number it is a fair indication maintaining a vehicle is permissible.

2. Dwarka RTO Has lost your file - Too bad, but that is not your fault! I suggest you go ahead and fill up the necessary forms (Form 28 with imprint etc) and File for an NOC anyway (The RTOs have all the records computerized, they can very well reprint your documents again if they want). You are bound to get your NOC for sure.

But the question only you can answer is, do you really need to get your number changed? Salaried class personnel like me might again get posted to another state (even back to Gurgaon) tomorrow and the same story shall recur so changing the number is quite pointless!
Yeah you have a point. Anyways paying the OTT is the only option with me now.

I have already submitted the forms and have filed for NOC. But I have been told that the file is not to be found and now I am in Pune with no idea when I will get to go to Delhi to follow up with the RTO again
Old 3rd August 2015, 17:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the system sometimes actually works!
Basic Requirements:
1. Form AT (Download it from http://www.rtopune.info/downloadrtoforms.htm) – Fill it up & take the Car VIN Number / Chassis Number imprint on the same (on Top Right of each page)
2. Form FT (Download it from http://www.rtopune.info/downloadrtoforms.htm) – Fill it up & take the Car VIN Number / Chassis Number imprint on the same (on Top Right of each page) - Note that Form FT is not mandatory if you are not changing the Registration Number....
Dear abhi413, your efforts were immensly helpful to me as I could do everything in 20 mins flat ( 1 car + 1 scooter ) last Saturday ... believe me.

A small correction - Form FT is mandatory for payment of OTT and AT is not required. Maybe you can request moderators to do a small correction in your first post which is an ultimate guide for this task.
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed