Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2017, 19:28   #46
BHPian

Re: Step by Step Guide: Paying 'One Time Tax' for an out-of-state car in Pune

Hello, I am just curious, why do we need to pay OTT state wise? Isn't road tax paid in India (irrespective of the state) applicable for the whole of India?

Coming to my predicament: I am in Pune for six months deputation. I intend to bring my bike from GGN which has Chandigarh license plates. Do I really need to pay Pune road tax? or is there a wayaround?

Thanks!
Old 27th January 2017, 00:47   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
Strange as it may sound, I am inclined to believe there still is hope for this country in spite of our bureaucratic processes.
Keep revvin’!
Thanks for the detailed post. Ive been also trying to do same s thing i.e. pay the one time tax. They have given me the Tax quote which need to be paid. They also mentioned i can pay it online. However I forgot to ask the website.

By any chance, do you or anyone here know the site where i can deposit pune road tax?

Last edited by Haste : 27th January 2017 at 00:50.
Haste is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 11:01   #48
BHPian

http://www.rtopune.info/ is a very useful website. It has plenty of details.

You can contact the Regional Transport Officer, Pune at the following Phone nos. and enquire regarding Online payments:

+91 20 26058080
+91 20 26058090/8282

Hope this helps.

Cheers ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Hello, I am just curious, why do we need to pay OTT state wise? Isn't road tax paid in India (irrespective of the state) applicable for the whole of India?

Coming to my predicament: I am in Pune for six months deputation. I intend to bring my bike from GGN which has Chandigarh license plates. Do I really need to pay Pune road tax? or is there a wayaround?

Thanks!
Unfortunately that is how it stands - It is an old, redundant Bureaucratic rule but a rule nevertheless! The Road Tax paid while buying the car enables you to run the vehicle freely across whole of India (BUT, while keeping the car's domicile in its "home" state). So, it would appear that the separate state tax is for keeping / maintaining a vehicle in that separate state for a long time. Note that all registration numbers read DL, HR, MH, KA, TN etc. and none of them are "IN" or unified India Registration. And for 6 months deputation? You would not need to bother. Just keep the proof of entry into Maharashtra handy, just in case some traffic cop asks (Rest assured they never will).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th January 2017 at 15:17. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 10th February 2017, 12:26   #49
BHPian

Thanks abhi413 for your reply. I finally brought my bike to Pune and the sad part is when I drove it from gate-1 of the Pune station. I was pulled over by the cops and I was asked to show all the documents. I showed them all the documents but he said to show him NOC and tax receipt. To which I said, I don't plan to change the number hence I don't need NOC and road tax I'll pay in a week or so. To which he said it needs to be paid in advance and said a challan will be issued for 500/- rupees since I was not sure what to do. I paid 200/- as a bribe. Which begs my question.

If I just pay road tax, will I be able to drive freely in MH? Or do I need to get MH number as well?
Old 21st April 2017, 16:28   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
Strange as it may sound, I am inclined to believe there still is hope for this country in spite of our bureaucratic processes.

Here’s hoping again this post will help out at least some of my fellow Indian petrosexuals. I still do not understand the need of such complications within the same country, but then let’s leave that debate for another thread.

Keep revvin’!
This thread was very informative.

However, I'm looking to transfer my car from Guwahati to Mumbai and I was looking to see if I could simply pay the OTT and continue driving with my Assam registration, as you have with your Haryana Registration.

Well people were asking if after paying the OTT, one needs to change the registration after a year. It appears that as per the new Maharashtra Motor Vehicles Department website that after one year the registration must be changed.

Source: https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in...ation-mark-RMA

Since it does not specify the option of paying OTT without change of registration as an option, I assume that its not an available option. It says
"If vehicle registered in one state is to be kept or used in other state for the period of more than a year then the vehicle needs to be registered in the latter state new registration number to be assigned. While doing so, the NOC from original registering authority & consent of financier (in case of loan) needed to be furnished."

Its been more than a year Abhi413, I hope you haven't been pulled over for not changing your registration.

The violation for "Plying a vehicle with registration mark of other state for more than 12 months" u/S. 47 r/w S. 177 of M.V. Act is Rs. 100 for first offence Rs. 300 for second or subsequent offence."

Source: Point 45 of https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in...-and-Penalties

This is as checked on April 21, 2017. The site clearly notes below that "The information displayed on this website is for information purpose only. For any legal matter, the provision of MV Act & Rules made thereunder shall prevail."
Old 21st April 2017, 16:48   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Thanks abhi413 for your reply. I finally brought my bike to Pune and the sad part is when I drove it from gate-1 of the Pune station. I was pulled over by the cops and I was asked to show all the documents. I showed them all the documents but he said to show him NOC and tax receipt. To which I said, I don't plan to change the number hence I don't need NOC and road tax I'll pay in a week or so. To which he said it needs to be paid in advance and said a challan will be issued for 500/- rupees since I was not sure what to do. I paid 200/- as a bribe. Which begs my question.

If I just pay road tax, will I be able to drive freely in MH? Or do I need to get MH number as well?
They just tricked you .
1st of all cops are not allowed fine for registration details, it is the MVI or RTO official.
You can ride your bike for 6 months without paying LTT as it would term as short term visiting. If you are planning to keep the vehicle for more than 11 month in a state, then registration change is required.

What I have seen in Pune, no one bothers to check for out station registration vehicle, though I have re registered both my vehicle to be as per law.

The beat constables are generally try to harass the out station vehicle on odd hour at odd place to get some quick bucks, you should have asked them to issue you the Callahan so that you can pay the tax at RTO based on that and they would have back tracked.
There is a thread on detail case between state of Karnataka and road without boarders on the former trying to collect tax for vehicles staying more than 1 month and Hon. supreme court has ruled that the central MVI act can not be changed by state per se.
Fining you within 30 minutes of landing at Pune would be too stressed.
Old 24th May 2017, 15:25   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingTheTerrible View Post
Its been more than a year Abhi413, I hope you haven't been pulled over for not changing your registration.
"
Sorry for responding so late. I am unaware of this new rule that you have mentioned. However, to clarify, it has indeed been 2 years plus for me at Pune. And I continue plying my car with the same number day in and day out, without ever being pulled over. I have often crossed cops at plain sight, and a couple of times sought directions from cops too. No hassles whatsoever till date. Hope it stays this way!

I know of a few other people too who are plying their cars likewise. In fact nowadays I increasingly see more and more outside Maharashtra vehicles everyday. Fact is, the traffic police is more interested in catching hold of the genuine offenders, which are mainly Yellow Plate cars / Taxis.
Old 12th April 2018, 13:30   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hi Abhi413

I am a bit confused here, I have a KA registered Brio that I have been driving in Pune, I have been caught twice in the last 4 years, the cops told me that:

1. For the first year, you need to pay the road tax and get an NOC from Pune RTO. If caught, they will see the payment of tax date and see if its within one year.
2. If you stay longer than one year, then you WILL have to re-register the car in Pune else I will be fined again, in this case Tax receipt wont help. I argued what if I dont re-register and dont pay the fine, to which he said the car will be impounded till you re-register.

So based on point #2, I think I will still be harassed by the cops if I pay road tax in Pune and dont change the registration from KA to MH after one year since payment of tax.

I was refused the NOC from SBI bank in Bengaluru in 2014 when I shifted to Pune, saying I need to repay the loan fully first (their argument: people vanish and dont pay EMIs, making it difficult to trace the car as well as owner). This also meant that I couldn't complete the formalities at Bengaluru RTO to get their NOC since that is required for re-registration in Pune.
Now, we closed our loan in late 2016, and got a NOC from SBI which is valid for an year (now expired), I will have to get a fresh NOC from SBI Bengaluru office, show it to KA RTO and get KA NOC (I will also have to get the vehicle inspected which means I will have to take the car to Bengaluru or pay an agent)

This entire process means I lose a lot of money and precious time. So I have found a better way to deal with this. Since 2014, I have been caught only twice. Each time I have bribed 2000 Rs to the cops. Which comes to 4000 INR in 4 years ! This is still profitable than paying MH road tax (might come to 40k INR), then getting the car or myself back to Bengaluru - either alone by plane and paying an agent there or by driving and getting it done myself - for getting NOC and then the constant follow-ups for KA tax refund.

I plan my city drives where the probability of getting caught is low and I also have a back-up car of my dad to drive in city limits. The Brio is mostly kept for long distance drives. In the last two instances, I have sweet talked cops into bribing. Cant help !

Human greed and lack of understanding of people's needs as far as vehicle transfer is concerned can sometimes be used as a benefit

I would have re-registered the car immediately in 2014 if I had got the NOC from KA as I was not married then, but as time passed, office travel and home responsibilities increased and now I can't spare time for such things, also there's too much money involved. I have decided to sell the car next year in Bengaluru, as my family expands. The Brio cannot fit a baby's pram anyway

Off topic: SBI's argument was a stupid as it can get, the car's chassis number can reveal the details of the current registration (Pune or Bengaluru) of the car, moreover, they have my PAN card details as well as Passport details, so even if I cheat the bank, they can still get me. The tried to make me a victim of the system they cant handle.
Old 12th April 2018, 13:58   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Since 2014, I have been caught only twice. Each time I have bribed 2000 Rs to the cops. Which comes to 4000 INR in 4 years !
Slight OT: I went through the Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Department website (link) and it mentions that for "Plying a vehicle with registration mark of other state for more than 12 months", the fine is "Rs. 100 for first offence Rs. 300 for second or subsequent offence". Looks like traffic police is taking us for ride!!
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 12:29   #55

How are out of state vehicles treated in Pune?

Planning to shift to Pune, Maharashtra with an KA (Karnataka) registered car and an MP (Madhya Pradesh) registered bike. Can i know the current situation as of Q3, 2018 on how out of state vehicles are treated in Pune?
Old 3rd August 2022, 20:37   #56
BHPian

So there was an Activa at my in-laws place which was about to render useless since my brother-in-law was moving out.

We as such didn’t had any purpose of keeping Activa but thought of bringing it here to use it for some here and there runs, minor errands, etc.

Accordingly, it reached Pune with NOC and other related documents. After using it for a while in nearby localities, thought of getting the tax paid/re registered so that we can take it to city areas as well. I tried online and after failing miserably dropped an email to vahan authorities.

Step by Step Guide: Paying 'One Time Tax' for an out-of-state car in Pune-739c9d71f10348f288412df96c297bd3.jpeg

So much for the digitisation
Step by Step Guide: Paying 'One Time Tax' for an out-of-state car in Pune-49c58d3c80ec468289e6f93cfdbc6815.jpeg

With no online options, I swiftly visited an agent nearby through which I was able to get the tax paid and a new number for the Activa. I was told that with the BH series thing, only paying tax was no more of an option.

Tax for a 2 wheeler which is around 4 year old
Step by Step Guide: Paying 'One Time Tax' for an out-of-state car in Pune-aa8613a907fa4efabf08c2730142512b.jpeg

I paid tax after around 1 month of submitting the relevant documents, took the vehicle for inspection and around 45 days later, we got the message from Vahan that number is generated. RC is yet to come. It is generated on DigiLocker though.

Agent fees - ₹5500

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks