Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2015, 13:17   #1
BHPian

Step by Step Guide: Paying 'One Time Tax' for an out-of-state car in Pune

Strange as it may sound, I am inclined to believe there still is hope for this country in spite of our bureaucratic processes.

Yes, the system sometimes actually works!

I am writing this post to highlight how I managed to pay the OTT (One Time Tax) at Pune RTO, Maharashtra (Address: 38, Dr. Ambedkar Road, Near Sangam Bridge, Pune 411001) for my Gurgaon Registered Car. I hope this process helps out other urban workhorses like me who just don’t know where to begin!

Main points to note:
1. No, I did not involve any agent or tout
2. No, I did not end up paying a bribe
3. No, I do not have an NOC from Gurgaon
4. Yes, I had to take a day off from work; and
5. Yes, the job was a one-day affair only (because I had done my homework).

My car is just over 3 years old (Mar 2012), and registered in Gurgaon, Haryana (HR-26). I took a transfer from Gurgaon to Chennai in February 2014, and then again to Pune in March 2015.

Since my experience with the Chennai RTO was rather forgettable, let me elaborate on Pune RTO and how I managed to Nail it in one go.

Aim : To pay the One Time Tax for my Car, without changing the HR-26 Registration Number.
Logic : If I retain the HR26 Number, I can ply my car across bother Maharashtra & NCR roads.
Assumption : I’ll never get back my original Road Tax from Haryana RTO anyway. But I need to pay the OTT at Pune too – can’t remain on the wrong side of the law!

Basic Requirements:
1. Form AT (Download it from http://www.rtopune.info/downloadrtoforms.htm) – Fill it up & take the Car VIN Number / Chassis Number imprint on the same (on Top Right of each page)
2. Form FT (Download it from http://www.rtopune.info/downloadrtoforms.htm) – Fill it up & take the Car VIN Number / Chassis Number imprint on the same (on Top Right of each page) - Note that Form FT is not mandatory if you are not changing the Registration Number.
3. The car Registration Certificate photocopy (original not necessary though I was carrying)
4. The vehicle Insurance photocopy (currently valid)
5. The vehicle Pollution Under Control certificate photopy
6. The vehicle original invoice photocopy
7. The NCRB report stating the vehicle is not stolen (Can be instantaneously generated online for free at http://164.100.44.112/vahansamanvay/Internetquery.aspx)
8. Your present address proof (I took a printout of my Aadhar card)
9. Proof of entry of the Car into Maharashtra State (I took a photocopy of my Packers & Movers bill)
10. Good luck! (Hoping that the officials report to their desks on time)

Note:
1. The RTO office officially opens only at 11AM (lucky guys!). I’d reached at 9.30 AM and had to kill time. They reported by 11.20 AM
2. Taking the car to the RTO is not mandatory. If you do, try to park next to the RTO building on the right. That is free parking, you will save 10 bucks.

Procedure:
1. Enter the building. All the action happens on the ground floor itself. There are a lot of windows. Take the first right upon entering (narrow alley). The Assistant RTO Rajendra Sawant’s cabin is on the right. Continue straight to Hit dead end and take left. Enter the 3rd cabin behind the green almirah. There is a helpful lady there who will quickly verify your papers, jot down your particulars in a register and write down your “Register serial number” on top of your Form AT.
2. Go back through alley the way you entered and enter Assistant RTO Rajendra Sawant’s cabin. He will sign the Form AT after a quick glance through the papers.
3. Return to the helpful lady. She will calculate the Tax payable with depreciations etc. and mention it (with all the calculations) on the Form AT itself. For Petrol Vehicles, 9% tax (of car invoice basic value + VAT) less depreciation, is payable.
4. Remember, if the amount is over Rs. 50,000 the Tax can be paid only by Demand Draft (favoring “RTO Pune”). For regular 2-wheelers cash is also okay, else Cheque can be used.
5. In my case the amount was Rs. 70,352 (I own a 2012 Linea) – so I had to take out my car, hunt out an ICICI bank branch, return and park again. Getting a DD made was just a 15 minute job but don’t take the pains to drive – the area is too congested so better take an Auto - Much easier.
6. Take the Demand Draft / Cheque / Cash as applicable and head straight to Counter No. 23 or 24. The lady there will issue you an ugly looking, manually filled A5 sized form, stamped and signed. She will tear the form in the worst way possible, but how do you care, your job is done!
7. Go to Team-BHP and boast your heart out how the system works. And Congrats on not paying a bribe!

Here’s hoping again this post will help out at least some of my fellow Indian petrosexuals. I still do not understand the need of such complications within the same country, but then let’s leave that debate for another thread.

Keep revvin’!
abhi413 is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 14:50   #2
BHPian

re: Step by Step Guide: Paying 'One Time Tax' for an out-of-state car in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
Assumption : I’ll never get back my original Road Tax from Haryana RTO anyway. But I need to pay the OTT at Pune too – can’t remain on the wrong side of the law!
Will there be any change in this assumption in near future and sequel to this post? That would also be quite helpful. Most people don't pay the tax in new state because of the bribes and the possiblity of not getting the money paid to the previous state.
Old 28th July 2015, 15:01   #3
BHPian

To be honest I did try to engage a lawyer at Gurgaon to look into this but then he himself is totally lost in procedures and says it is rather difficult. I hope I am able to post a sequel with a fairy tale ending sometime in the future. But then I am also fully aware that - while we can still get work done without bribing - we don't exactly live in Ramrajya!
Old 28th July 2015, 15:02   #4
BHPian

This One Time Tax that you have paid at Pune RTO, is that refundable when you move out of Pune? If it does get refunded, will it be the entire amount or will there be a deduction ?

Still 70k is a lot of money considering that you have paid tax at a different state already. Hope the new transport bill solves this problem, properly.
Old 28th July 2015, 15:29   #5
BHPian

I agree with you!

This amount is *supposed to be* refundable, but then, I am yet to hear of someone who got back his hard-earned, tax-paid money from the clutches of any Indian RTO.

Rs. 70k is a lot of money indeed. However most companies nowadays permit you to claim the reimbursement of the One Time Tax - for 1 personal vehicle - as part of your transfer to a different state. I am following the same route.

I too hope the transport bill sorts out this mess for good. It causes a lot of heartburn to the tax-paying middle class, otherwise.
Old 28th July 2015, 15:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
This amount is *supposed to be* refundable, but then, I am yet to hear of someone who got back his hard-earned, tax-paid money from the clutches of any Indian RTO.
Well, I agree on the 2nd half about people hardly getting the pro rated tax amount back once they move out of a certain state, but I'd like you to confirm with Pune RTO if you're eligible for a refund in the first place!
In Karnataka, one has to re-register along with paying LTT in order to be eligible for a pro rated refund should s/he move out of the state later.
Old 28th July 2015, 15:54   #7
BHPian

Quote:
6. The vehicle original invoice photocopy
Thanks for the detailed steps.
What is an option if you do not have the original invoice copy?
Old 28th July 2015, 16:16   #8
BHPian

@vaasu: You can always get a reprint of your invoice from the car dealer. It should not be an issue. The original invoice is not required anyway - only a photocopy is needed. Better keep a scanned copy handy so that you can take a printout as and when you need.

@Divya Sharan: It might be worth a try but then the only fool-proof method would be to file an RTI enquiry for 10 bucks asking for clarity. Do let us know if you are successful, and if I find something out, I will share an update for sure!

Last edited by abhi413 : 28th July 2015 at 16:45.
abhi413 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 18:09   #9
BHPian

Congrats for your success with the RTO in a single day!

Are you sure that only by paying the road tax, one can continuously use the other state's car for any period of time? I was under the impression that re- registration also is required for the above.
Old 28th July 2015, 19:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your success. 70k is a big amount indeed. I was under the impression that if you continue to reside for more than 1 year, then you should change your number to MH. Does that hold true?
Old 28th July 2015, 19:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Very informative post Abhi. Re installs the belief that if one wants to get the work done, one can.

Quote:
I agree with you!

I have tried once but in the end got tired and even my agent told me that they will never return it. I wonder if an RTI to this effect would help. It will give us figures of how many refunds have been asked and how many refunds have been given.... that could be used as a tool to go to the press and the transport commissioner as to what racket these guys are running.

One more point is the calculation mode. The Rti would also clarify what is their mode or formula for calculation and how much depreciation they calculate while arriving to their final tax figure. Im told they calculate 2% per year which is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
Specifically since i have a vehicle registered outside Maharashtra, procured through an army auction.... where the heck will i get my invoice from??
Old 28th July 2015, 21:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Are you sure that only by paying the road tax, one can continuously use the other state's car for any period of time? I was under the impression that re- registration also is required for the above.
Thanks, and Yes if you pay the One Time Tax (also often called the Lifetime Tax) you can ply the vehicle for 15 years as per rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Congrats on your success. 70k is a big amount indeed. I was under the impression that if you continue to reside for more than 1 year, then you should change your number to MH. Does that hold true?
No, Changing your number is not mandatory in Maharashtra. But different states have different RTO rules, I believe. I have categorically been informed by the RTO people that the vehicle is good to go for 15 years. I expect to upgrade by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Very informative post Abhi. Re installs the belief that if one wants to get the work done, one can.

I have tried once but in the end got tired and even my agent told me that they will never return it. I wonder if an RTI to this effect would help. It will give us figures of how many refunds have been asked and how many refunds have been given.... that could be used as a tool to go to the press and the transport commissioner as to what racket these guys are running.

One more point is the calculation mode. The Rti would also clarify what is their mode or formula for calculation and how much depreciation they calculate while arriving to their final tax figure. Im told they calculate 2% per year which is ridiculous.

Specifically since i have a vehicle registered outside Maharashtra, procured through an army auction.... where the heck will i get my invoice from??
I think the RTI query should be framed this way to serve the purpose: What is the procedure to get the refund? What is the timeline? Who to follow up with? What recourse is available in case of delay by the RTO?

Meanwhile, Army Auction vehicle? Don't they issue a bill or an invoice? On a lighter note, just paste a couple of ARMY stickers on your vehicle's front and back and see the fun. The cops will avoid your vehicle with a 10 foot pole! Nobody messes with anything that appears half Military!
abhi413 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 09:51   #13
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
FYI - I did get back my balance Life Time Tax paid to Pune RTO, albeit in a slightly different scenario. Let me elaborate -

I had a car registered on my company's name (hence paid 14% tax for corporate registration when purchased new). A few years later, I sold it to an individual. (The tax for individuals is 7%). I got a copy of his new regn. card & applied to the RTO Pune for the 7% corporate tax refund. (Did not really expect to be refunded). I applied since I had heard that since its an advance tax, if the registration category of the vehicle changes (to a lower tax category), I should get a refund.

A couple of months later I received a cheque from the RTO for tax refund. There were some deductions, but nevertheless the refund was sizeable.
AJ
AJo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 11:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
I did something similar -- changed my car's registration from KL to MH. We didn't have the original invoice or any proof of the car's value. The only document we had was an old insurance document stating the insured value - which was not accepted as proof of value. After a lot of talking they finally deigned to look up the value of the car from their database. In other words, they have the information, they're just too lazy to pull it up.
Old 29th July 2015, 11:29   #15
BHPian

I too got my bike re registered in pune without using any touts, it was a painful process though.
Also, Once you have paid the LTT, the registration needs to be changed within 11 months. I paid the LTT for my bike in March and submitted the application for change in regn. in September. I was stopped at times because of my UP no. and when I showed them the LTT receipt they used to take a look at the date of payment as well.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks