Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2015, 11:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

BMW suspends assembly of Mini Countryman in India

BMW has suspended the assembly of the Mini Countryman at its Chennai plant. The reason behind this step being taken by the German manufacturer, is likely to be the poor sales of the car.

BMW suspends assembly of Mini Countryman in India-cman.jpg

The Countryman managed to garner 100 bookings in India even before BMW had opened a Mini dealership. This encouraged BMW to start local assembly of the car. It was the only Mini model assembled in India. Now, all Mini models are imported as completely built-up units.

According to a company spokesperson, generation change is the reason for the suspension of the car's assembly. However, the next-generation Countryman is not expected to make its debut before 2016.

India is the 100th market for the Mini brand. From 2012, till the end of 2014, the brand has managed to sell just 1,123 cars in the country.

Source: Autocar Professional
Aditya is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 11:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW suspends assembly of Mini Countryman in India

Does this mean that the CBU will be sold at a higher price after this assembly suspension and if yes the available inventory will be sold at some discount?
Old 30th July 2015, 11:58   #3
Team-BHP Support

I just checked and the last production of the Countryman seems to be in 08/13, so it means the assembly was stopped a long time ago and they probably just finished their stocks.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 12:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is alarming. there are lot of models which have stopped long back and the news comes out very late. Scala, Pulse, Spark are classic examples. New model in 2016 means 3 full year without production.
Old 30th July 2015, 22:31   #5
BHPian

Sad. I cannot understand their Idea of manufacturing the countryman in the first place.
I feel, the countryman does not, in anyway evoke the same sentiments as the Cooper

I guess, they made their decision based on some of the early interest shown towards the countryman over the basic Mini. Or, they were confident on the cooper itself selling more even at such high pricing.

My wish was always to change our Figo to a Mini (Dreaming), but changed it to the next best (maybe) the Polo, only yesterday.

I still am dreaming about it for our next change, maybe 5 years down, and still hope that it would be built in India completely by then
Old 30th July 2015, 23:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I just checked and the last production of the Countryman seems to be in 08/13, so it means the assembly was stopped a long time ago and they probably just finished their stocks.
That is correct. This is stale news, had mentioned this when we bought our countryman in December'14 which was one of the last few left in the country. It too was manufactured end 2013 as there hasn't been any production ever since.

I hope there isn't any issues with spare parts now that the countryman is no longer in production. I have opted for the 5 year BSI but what use would that be in spares are scarse. Although I'm not really worried since most parts are shared with BMW and would most often be in stock.

Last edited by Sahil : 30th July 2015 at 23:50.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 12:53   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
That is correct. This is stale news, had mentioned this when we bought our countryman in December'14 which was one of the last few left in the country. It too was manufactured end 2013 as there hasn't been any production ever since.

I hope there isn't any issues with spare parts now that the countryman is no longer in production. I have opted for the 5 year BSI but what use would that be in spares are scarse. Although I'm not really worried since most parts are shared with BMW and would most often be in stock.
I doubt you will have any issues with spares. Engine wise its the same 2.0d that's used in a lot of other cars. And for any other parts a short wait may be needed for them to order from abroad.
Old 31st July 2015, 14:46   #8
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2015 at 16:51.
charlessuresh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd August 2015, 20:05   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

At the price at which the Mini Cooper is available in India it is hardly to be wondered that sales are slow!
Yes it is an iconic car and all that but the pricing is too high.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks