Team-BHP - Chevrolet to enter the 'Compact Sedan' segment with Beat-based Essentia
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Chevrolet to enter the 'Compact Sedan' segment with Beat-based Essentia (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/166600-chevrolet-enter-compact-sedan-segment-beat-based-essentia.html)

Almost all manufacturers seem to eye the the most lucrative segment - the Compact Sedan(< 4m). Now Chevrolet announces its plan and seems tailored for the Indian Market.

Chevrolet will be entering the compact sedan segment by launching a notchback based on the next generation Chevrolet Beat (Spark globally) and the sub-4 metre sedan will launch in India in 2017.

Once the launch takes place from GM India’s side, it will be rival the leader- Maruti Suzuki Dzire, Honda Amaze, Hyundai Xcent, upcoming compact sedan from VW based on the Polo and the upcoming Ford Figo Aspire.

Quote:

The compact sedan will draw power from the same engines that will do duty on the hatchback as well, i.e., a new 1.0-litre three-cylinder petrol engine and a 1.0-litre three-cylinder diesel mill. Given that the current generation Beat is very fuel efficient, the same is also expected from the upcoming models as well and the higher trims of the compact sedan may even get an automatic transmission, given that popularity of automatic gearboxes is on the rise in India. With the planned investment, localisation levels will also be very high, thereby enabling Chevrolet to price the upcoming compact sedan competitively.
http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/07/car...a-launch-2017/

Too little too late for Chevrolet.

Unless something dramatic happens, Chevy is a :deadhorse

I really cant fathom GM doesn't have even a single vehicle in each segment that can be a true winner? Can they not tap any other portfolio from other markets? Why keep bringing the Chinese designs or dated designs?
Even after spending 15+ years in the market, if you cannot gauge the pulse, have to think of the strategies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by advaitlele (Post 3766876)
Even after spending 15+ years in the market, if you cannot gauge the pulse, have to think of the strategies.

They claim since 1928 referring to their initial innings.

With huge losses mounting and shutdown of the Gujarat factory, they need a "lifeline" now, not in 2017. Trailblazer looks optimistic, but the Spin only in 2017 is not taking them anywhere. With lackluster products and below industry standards of the service centers, GM is on a free fall.

The compact SUV is one of the fastest growing and most exciting segment in India currently. They need to make hay when the sun shines and Hyundai is doing it now.

Some one tell Chevrolet investing more money and launching 10s of products is not helping.. No one talks about or trusts their brand now. I own a Chevy Beat, but given a choice would not but from Chevy again, not because the car is bad but the company, its perception, marketing are all crap. :deadhorse

Chevrolet needs to up the marketing, put some intent into ever reducing sales and dealerships and show its seriousness about the indian market.

Looks like the indian bosses at Chevy office are just for decoration, burning cash and reputation..

How can Beat with a small boot can compete against Dzire, Amaze, Aspire etc? It's competitors are WagonR, Celerio, i10 etc, not swift/Figo/brio. It is a medium car, not small like alto not big like Swift/Ritz.

As with beat, it will be a whole new segment of small engine CS cars. It can be a good segment, but be below the competitors stated in their post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ani_meher (Post 3772990)
How can Beat with a small boot can compete against Dzire, Amaze, Aspire etc? It's competitors are WagonR, Celerio, i10 etc, not swift/Figo/brio. It is a medium car, not small like alto not big like Swift/Ritz.

As with beat, it will be a whole new segment of small engine CS cars. It can be a good segment, but be below the competitors stated in their post.

When they say that the 2017 Beat will come along with a compact sedan, they are referring to the all new car - the Beat replacement. This new Beat would have grown into Grand i10 's size and segment and hence its only fair that its compact sedan form competes with the Xcent from Hyundai right?

I know GM is currently in a mess at the moment, but they do seem to be making an effort to try and get out of it. I think, they should stop bringing in the Chinese market derived cars and also the boring looking dates cars ( like the Spin for instance )

Also, GM lacks a definition. If I say Hyundai, high quality interiors and powerful / refined diesel comes to mind. If I say Ford, competent dynamics comes to mind. If I say Tata, their Zest and new direction comes to mind.
But when I say Chevrolet, what do you recall? ( I for one am blank now! may have thought of the Cruze if you said 'Chevrolet' about 3 years ago! ) :D

Mindset of the Indian customer is changing fast, and the manufacturer's have to deliver according to that. Deliver the right product at the right time, and it will be a success overnight. Tata brought in Indigo CS when people started hating Indica looks, and it could not sell in any respectable numbers (though it can outsell Zest!). Maruti Suzuki did the same thing with Swift Dzire, but it was a grand success, because the market loved Swifts + they wanted a Sedan too, and Dzire was the answer for both!
Hyundai brought in the Elite i20 with stunning looks, and previously all those who considered the old fluidic i20 out of their list, went and stood in the line to get a booking. Ford came with a compact Ecosport for city dwellers with small families, who have no intention to offroad, but wanted the comfort of an SUV, and it was a grand success!
Now, Chevrolet comes with an idea of a new compact sedan, for 2017. Going by their dismal sales numbers, I think it will be difficult for them to get any one to go for a test drive. But their goal will be satisfied - to stay in the news of Indian media for some more time.

2016 Chevrolet Niva is the new compact SUV from GM for India?

2016 Chevrolet Niva is the new compact SUV from Chevrolet in the entry level segment of compact SUVs. Specifically made for the Russian market the car was also showcased in its concept version in 2014 Moscow Auto Show.

Rumors indicate GM India is mulling plans to launch compact SUV in the Indian market and this could be the highest possible chance of getting the story true.

2016 Chevrolet Niva looks very much similar to Ford EcoSport’s design and also measures under 4 meter. This brings the advantage of compact SUV segment for Chevrolet Niva.

Chevrolet to enter the 'Compact Sedan' segment with Beat-based Essentia-2016chevroletnivafront.jpg
Chevrolet to enter the 'Compact Sedan' segment with Beat-based Essentia-2016chevroletnivarearthreequarters.jpg
Chevrolet to enter the 'Compact Sedan' segment with Beat-based Essentia-2016chevroletnivasideprofile.jpg
Chevrolet to enter the 'Compact Sedan' segment with Beat-based Essentia-2016chevroletnivarearview.jpg

http://www.autocolumn.com/2016-chevr...etails-review/

Quote:

2016 Chevrolet Niva is the new compact SUV from GM for India?

2016 Chevrolet Niva looks very much similar to Ford EcoSport’s design and also measures under 4 meter.

Holy cow, I just read an article today in TOI where carrying a Pen/Pencil is banned from CBT tests and exams. Obvious reason for this is a 'Probable Case of Copying'.

This news of the ban came too late for the GM Designers :Frustrati

Even some road side mechanics could have taken an Ecosport and come up with that design.

Dare I say, much better design than what GM have planned :uncontrol

Nice to see Indian compact 'car specs' ( under 4 m, upto1.5l diesel, 1.2l petrol engines) driving global strategy for major automakers.

Forget the Chevy Niva design sketch. Check out these pics. It's flattering copy of the Ecosport.

That render looks awesome. For once an attempt to beef up a small car has been done with good synergy. Delete the roofrack and its even better.

GM’s compact sedan named Beat Essentia; launch in 2017.
Beat Essentia will be available in both diesel and petrol variants and will spot the same 1.0 L diesel engine and 1.2 L petrol engine which also powers the current hatchback Beat.

Seems to be a pointless exercise. We say VW is already late with the Ameo which is launching next week, A 2017 launch with no real USP's will probably ensure it will be dead on arrival.

Source ETAuto

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3901445)

Seems to be a pointless exercise. We say VW is already late with the Ameo which is launching next week, A 2017 launch with no real USP's will probably ensure it will be dead on arrival.

Obviously, What is the point? Compact sedan's are primarily existing to take advantage of the tax structures available. Sail Sedan is already in the price band of compact sedans.:deadhorse

They just seem to be running out of ideas. An intern from a good B-School could come up with better product idea. I wish, instead of focusing on new products, they should get together and discuss on how to improve the sales of their current offerings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3901445)
GM’s compact sedan named Beat Essentia; launch in 2017.
Beat Essentia will be available in both diesel and petrol variants and will spot the same 1.0 L diesel engine and 1.2 L petrol engine which also powers the current hatchback Beat.

2017? Are they sure on that? :p

By the time, they bring in their CS the market would've moved on to some other segment and they will again play catch up with others.

On a serious note, I think with the 1L diesel engine along with TATA's upcoming Sway, they are trying to create a whole new sub-segment of Compact Sedan, may be a sub-compact-sedan?

After Trailblazer, this will be an another DOA :uncontrol