Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2015, 15:09   #1
Team-BHP Support

NGT issues notices to 13 manufacturers for polluting

The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued notices to 13 automobile manufacturers for not adhering to prescribed environmental norms. Maruti Suzuki, Mahindra, TVS, Mitsubishi, General Motors, Toyota, Volkswagen and Honda are among the manufacturers to have been found guilty. Notices were also issued to 24 automobile service centres in Madhya Pradesh. The tribunal has sought a reply from the respondents by September 9.

This is the first time that parent companies have been served notices along with service centres. The respondents have been flouting air, water and hazardous waste management rules. There is also pleas to shut down 7 service centres as well as fine them Rs. 5 lakh each for polluting. Another plea wants 18 service centre that haven't filed compliance reports to be fined Rs. 5 lakh each and be made to submit their reports within 15 days.

The petition also seeks the disconnection of water and power supply to 17 service centres that have been served closure notices earlier. The NGT has also issued notices to other respondents, including urban administration and environment, Bhopal Municipal Corporation (BMC), MP central discom and pollution control board.

Besides, automobile companies have also been issued show-cause notices asking why they did not inspect service centres before allotting them dealership.

Source: Economic Times
Aditya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 15:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: NGT issues notices to 13 manufacturers for polluting

This is a welcome move for sure. But there are areas were the competent people to issue PCB certificates are delaying the process and there by huge fine is imposed on the concerned. There are many dealerships in Kerala were they had to be closed due to involvement of these authorities. In my opinion these authorities should first ensure that all necessary conditions are met even before allowing them to operate instead of allowing them to start and then fine them later on.
ram_hyundai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 17:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The National Green Tribunal (NGT)
Besides, automobile companies have also been issued show-cause notices asking why they did not inspect service centres before allotting them dealership.
Interesting, I'm surprised about some of the names, as they are typically very much aware of local regulations and will ensure they adhere to it. These sort of things can quickly spin into a PR nightmare, so can be very damaging and it is one of the reasons many global countries take these and so called corporate social responsibilities seriously.

On that last sentence; is there any formal responsibility (from a legal point of view) for manufacturers to keep close tabs on the service centres? I can think of many reason why I think they should, but if they are not (part) owned by the respective manufacturer what is their legal position?

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 18:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Having been to service stations multiple times, I often asked myself the same question - are there environmental laws and restrictions aided by local policies for these folk or do they just not care? I also asked the service advisors such questions only to get blank stares in a manner of indicating does it really matter?

The short of it is yes, it indeed does matter. The government also has a habit of waking up one fine day to suddenly impose heavy penalties and/or bans overnight to curb bad practices. My question to them is have they ensured setup of nationalised fibreglass & tyre recycling plants? Do they also have local recycling centres for engine oil, antifreeze etc, both of which are extremely poisonous if mixed with ground water? A dedicated plant for synthetic oils can recycle it for use again, not only conserving resources but also preventing toxic hazards later. There should also be electronics & metal recycling plants to extract and re-use metals for other purposes.

To the best of my knowledge NGT or National Green Tribunal is known for proposing draconian laws in an instant, amongst them in the past being ban of 10-year old vehicles, ban of diesel vehicles etc. Why aren't they also taking action to create infrastructure & laws for proper waste management? Shouldn't the government plan holistically for all issues rather than create one watch-dog like organisation just to penalize wrong practices? India simply doesn't have the space like America to have landfills, in any case such landfills are a terrible idea. With the growth of sales of automobiles its about time this country creates all the necessary waste management facilities first, then implement a very strict zero tolerance enforcement agency next.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 18:25   #5
BHPian

How come I dont see Bajaj listed? I think they set out to pollute India rather than provide transportation. I hate their noisy polluting "Auto"rickshaws and even their other vehicles have such ancient technology I sometimes wonder if Mr. Bajaj went around the world shouting "Giving me your polluting, dangerous,..."

But I doubt any lasting changes will come of it - I've even lost track of what the CCI finally decided about the manufacturers on their anti-competitive spare parts and servicing business.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks