Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2015, 19:02   #61
BHPian

Re: July 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Fiat's team should be feeling proud. Launched almost around the same time, Punto has finally overtaken Beat as well as Figo in sales.

Ford would be least bothered with Aspire coming soon but what about Chevy? It's high time they prioritize Indian operations. Perhaps, global launch of the new-generation Beat/Spark in India might help them gain some lost consumer confidence.
Old 6th August 2015, 19:22   #62
BHPian

So Duster and Terrano Sales are down big time. Impact from Hyundai ?
Old 6th August 2015, 20:00   #63
BHPian

I think TATA is digging up its own grave for marginal short time gains. They have effectively killed two really capable products (Zest / Bolt) through dismal vision of company.

They want to shake off taxi mage but refuse to shut shop on Indica/Indigo/Vista/Manza. Yes, they are still selling but you can't live in two worlds. You cannot confuse your customer. "We want to produce world-class cars that are level up on european vehicles BUT we will also continue to produce and sell trash till there is demand".

A customer who braves the negativity around the brand and enters the showroom to try Zest is hit by the brand itself by having to see sub-par products lined up next to this car and is forced to once again consider his decision.

IMHO, Tata should bite the bullet and pull plug on all stale vehicles and variants keeping a very trim and tidy line-up to be later supported by future launches.
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 20:39   #64
BHPian

Considering how popular the Dzire is getting lately MS should focus on launching a booted version of the next generation Swift prior to the Swift itself or altogether make a neat design from scratch and drop the Swift moniker considering how important this model is now. But knowing MS it is hard to expect and they would play safe with a booted version of the next gen Swift only.

With the dismal prices of the S Cross I agree with other members - the Ertiga seems immense value for money now. Now only if they launched a variant with dark grey or black interiors or perhaps a 'cross' limited edition version with the side cladding and all. However it might not really look that good.

The Ciaz should have been available at the Nexa showrooms. For one the customers would definitely feel better with the better ambiance unlike the department store feel at the regular showrooms . Are the new Ciaz' going to be available only with the Suzuki logo or is it still having the older MS tag?

As for a layman like me I still haven't found a Nexa showroom visible to me yet here in Mumbai. They aren't marketing here as much as in smaller towns like Bhubaneswar.

IMO, MS is keen to be a halo member in the premium segment and hence might want to retain lesser number of Nexa showrooms across the country while still being happy to be the king of smaller cars.

The Honda Jazz is good and should sustain its numbers. The Elite i20 - though a very good vehicle is getting common these days like the Swift - not in a bad way though.

Disappointed with the Xcent sales. It looks good among all the compact sedans, is built so well and yet sells averagely. I personally like this car a lot and feel it is not marketed aggressively by Hyundai.

The Aspire looks already a little dated now. Maybe 2 years prior would have helped. It just doesn't appear as special as the Xcent or Amaze. I appreciate the smart phone holder above the ac vents in the Aspire. Quite a nifty feature.

Apart from the i20. IMO, perhaps due to product cannibalisation - most newer Hyundai vehicles lose sales steam over the years as in the case with Verna. They get immensely popular - then get too common and then are surpassed by a newer car from their own stable. Though the Creta will definitely sell there is a chance once the Hyundai MPV as reported is launched in a few years people might jump to buy that newer vehicle even though it might be a segment below.
Old 6th August 2015, 20:42   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by @KP View Post

But, what's with this phenomenal performance of Dzire? Here's a car that was written off as one of the most ugliest cars around and doing 20K sales. The AT was the secret sauce I feel.
Possibly the popularity of Uber can be driving sales of D Zire. 8 out of 10 times, an Uber car is D Zire (in that category)
Old 6th August 2015, 20:53   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
No doubt Zest is a great car..
My heart was over Ciaz while mind over Zest I had done 3 test drives on both the cars. Everytime I did it in zest, I subconsciously compared it with the ciaz and couldn't make up my mind. But during the last test drive, we were on the expressway and I had the chance of moving faster, around 100-120kmph. The steering started vibrating violently at those speeds. The test car had a mere 6000km on it and I was dissatisfied there. It was the deal breaker, having owned Tata estate, sumo dx, sumo Grande, sumo gold and currently a Safari dicor, that vibration was not new to me, but I expected Tata to rectify everything with the zest but man, it made me feel that Zest was just another Tata.
It is surprising you've owned so many Tata vehicles and made a pragmatic and safe change to MS.

In this day and age no one really has the time to rectify small issues and go to the service center every now and then. It is a wise decision to go with the Ciaz. Yes, the Zest might be an earnest effort, has that European feel and might have tons of features. But I feel after crossing a few years or 20,000 kms that is when problems crop up more in a Tata. MS cars age decently well. And one is assured it will give a decent peace of mind.

I do like Tata - for all the space and comfort but once problems start they become a burden.

Even my cousin who was scouting for a cheap used car having recently shifted base here stuck to an Esteem. He didn't consider Hyundai or Honda and Tata is just too far away even as a suggestion for having a terrible experience with his Indica.

The Ciaz definitely looks premium and I only wish it is available at the Nexa outlets so buyers get a feel of the premiumness. Not everyone would be keen to buy the S Cross as compared to the Ciaz. The Ciaz still doesn't feel any less cheaper than the S Cross. They should have also plonked the 1.6 in the Ciaz first.
Old 6th August 2015, 20:57   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciddharth View Post
Considering how popular the Dzire is getting lately MS should focus on launching a booted version of the next generation Swift prior to the Swift itself or altogether make a neat design from scratch and drop the Swift moniker considering how important this model is now. But knowing MS it is hard to expect and they would play safe with a booted version of the next gen Swift only.
the design will follow the same pattern with the new Swift coming in 2017 and Dzire would follow.
This is mainly because Swift is a Global design while Swift Dzire is an India specific one!
Old 6th August 2015, 21:04   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Ciddharth

I have also owned many marutis in past. M800, Omni, Zen, Wagon R, Swift D and now Ciaz. I like tatas for their vfm proposition. We normally change cars every 2 years and Tata's were great for use and throw kind of ownership. I mean, my Grande ran 93k km in 2 years without a niggle, safari is doing its 85k now without niggles until recently. But every Maruti I owned, I had to sell them with a heavy heart, they were so reliable and trustworthy that parting became hard.

Ciaz 1.3 is IMO more than sufficient for everyone who isn't a boy racer. I think blaming the 90hp engine is overrated. 0-100kmph in 11.3 seconds, the mighty GT Tdi does it in a mere one second early. The only gripe with it is the turbolag but that is something we will get used to.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 6th August 2015 at 21:17. Reason: typo
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 21:16   #69
Team-BHP Support

Good numbers for the newbies from H & H - Jazz and Creta respectively.
Jazz actually did better numbers than the City! This also shows a shift in the market preferences - a previously flop model now is allowed to get back into the race.
Old 6th August 2015, 23:11   #70
BHPian

Good to see XUV the 'urban' legend managing same figures as their a decade old 'rural + urban' legend Scorpio.

I guess the face-lift has also done the trick. Once the automatic is launched, I think XUV will have even bigger fan following.
Old 7th August 2015, 00:12   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
One problem that I had observed is, people are not even willing to go to TATA showrooms to check out the car in person before taking the purchase decision.
True! One of my friend owns a Indica Vista for 8 Years now. With so many niggles and incompetent service from Tata, he moved to a unnamed workshop who does a better job than TATA A.S.S and 1/3rd of Price. He says except for engine, nothing else in the car is good and the engine is from Fiat.
His advice to me, dont go to Tata, even if they give their car for Free, you will pay more than that for service. Though it sounds overboard, it speaks volume about frustration Tata Service centres have caused to individuals.
Taxi drivers by their profession get to know lot about their car and can get a specific job done by service centres.
A Buyer like me who can drive, fill gas, check air and do have adequate knowledge to change flat tyres, will not like to get robbed by these folks.

Tata can build great products, but their sales and service team will make sure that it will be a huge flop by all means. They need a huge rejig in their network.
sathya_g_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 01:44   #72
BHPian

Dzire on top for second successive month with Alto following it. Somewhat surprised as pattern is unclear to me. Its understandable if the cheapest car leads the pack. But the leader coming from a segment where that segment itself is not leading, is quite commendable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I At time of new Fiesta launch as well, i saw FLOP written all over it. But many people debated, but end result didn't change.
Completely OT, still out of curiosity. What exactly was your observation right at launch for Fiesta to know that it will be a flop?
Old 7th August 2015, 10:32   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm97 View Post
Completely OT, still out of curiosity. What exactly was your observation right at launch for Fiesta to know that it will be a flop?
Its very simple mate. Previous Fiesta was also a big flop, no body noticed it, it may be due to its pricing or whatever other reasons. New Fiesta was just facelift & nothing much changed. Also till the time new one came we have so many other cars available in market like new City, new Linea, etc. So it was hard that people will notice it. Also Ford is known for very poor resale value, especially in sedan segment and its A.S.S. is also not very great. In general people thinks that Ford cars are very high on maintenance. So considering all these i was sure that it is going to flop in the market and it happened! That also very fast. Most people don't even know that they launched new model, whereas few people don't even know that such model exists in India
Old 7th August 2015, 11:42   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viren83 View Post
Fiat's team should be feeling proud. Launched almost around the same time, Punto has finally overtaken Beat as well as Figo in sales.

Ford would be least bothered with Aspire coming soon but what about Chevy? It's high time they prioritize Indian operations. Perhaps, global launch of the new-generation Beat/Spark in India might help them gain some lost consumer confidence.

Just an idea for Fiat. If they can stretch the Punto a bit,say another 300 mm, not compromising on the handling and charge another 1 Lakh. They will have a bigger car with more rear leg space.
This coupled with their 4 year warranty will be an enthusiasts dream.
I love my Punto and have always wished for a little more space.
Old 7th August 2015, 14:09   #75
BHPian

In the medium term I foresee Hyundai closing the gap with Maruti. Comparing the recent new launches Grand i10, i20, Elite, Xcent, Creta with Alto, Celerio, Ertiga, Ciaz.

Hyundai has better style and substance and resonates with the youth - all subjective remarks!

But what is a fact is that all new Hyundai cars are doing comparatively well. Maruti's bestsellers are old models and their new ones not not performing as well. In spite of a great car that Ciaz is, it has not been doing well lately.
ravradha is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks