Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2015, 11:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

S-Cross and Creta launches - A threat to the old timers?

Last few weeks were all dramas and laughs. A big bunch of old timers were anxious when CRETA was announced. Huge hype, Well administered dose of everything, lots of pre bookings. The big day arrives , launched, price announced, The old timers are full of grin and enthusiasm. Again a dark cloud arrives in the form of S-Cross for the old timers. All that has happened has happened again. Launched, Price announced. And the old timers cant help it again. I strongly feel that the old timers are rejoicing again in a big time.

There are lot of things in favor of old timers. Pricing of S-cross and Creta. The offers they are giving which turns the wind in their favor as it is a direct deduction from the down payment from customers.The old timers are here for some time, so proven vehicles.
Now the people who were anxiously waiting for S-Cross and Creta and who have already booked are busy down grading variants to be in the price bracket they were expecting. Others are sensible enough to cancel and further research for a suitable car marriage.
The old timers- i20. Terrano, Duster, Ford Eco sport. All have geared up for this fiasco. Added features, New variants, Limited editions and what not.
End of the day customers are benefiting i believe.
Old 6th August 2015, 11:21   #2
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: S-Cross and Creta launches - A threat to the old timers?

The S-Cross DDiS 200 is a good bet for those wanting a largish car and comes with lot of good features in all variants like 2 airbags, Front and Rear Disc brakes, ABS, good quality plastics to name a few. But the engine is 1.3 Litres. While this may be good for someone who feels the price is justified, I think a lot of people looking to upgrade from the Swift, Dzire, etc will not be too happy from a upgrade/aspiration perspective.
The DDiS 320 will seem like a good upgrade but given the huge pricing, it may not click.
The Creta though overpriced, with better interiors, butch looks (compared to S-Cross) will probably fare better.
It remains to be seen now how Ford and Renault/Nissan react - will they cut prices or improve features on the Ecosport/Duster/Terrano ? Interesting times ahead in this space.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 11:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
End of the day customers are benefiting i believe.
The only ones rejoicing are people like Ford, Renault, Nissan, who now know they can hold (or within limits, even increase) prices, given where the S-Cross and Creta priced themselves.

Owners of the EcoSport, Duster and Terrano might feel happy about having got a VFM package, in the near term. Sadly, from a longer term perspective, the S-Cross and Creta pricing does mean that the price band of CUVs is going up.

The only way this will not come to fruition is if the Creta and S-Cross bomb in the sales charts. However, for every one person on this forum who decries those cars as not being VFM, there'll be 10 or more happy to buy those cars for their badging and style.

So when any of us go shopping next, we'll in all likelihood see a higher price tag. Thus, it is us consumers who're the losers.
arunphilip is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 11:39   #4
BHPian

The more the competition, the better it is for the customer.
However, having said that, in this segment the recent launches have shown that both Hyundai and Suzuki feel that they have a more premium product than those already in offer and have priced their products aggressively.
In the end the customer ends up paying more like this. Does the extra payment justify the premium product is each to his own. No set standards i believe.
One important thing which is likely to happen is that with more range of products from more companies now being available, the existing front runners will face the heat and come out with upgrades or discounts which will anyway benefit the customer.
So the more the merrier. Customers will have more choice and they can pay for new exclusivity or better old products. Either way it is a win win.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 11:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

End of the day there is a trick or 2 to be learned from Ford. They launched at a quoted price and started selling at a price much higher. They then sailed across without much trouble. That should have been the strategy for Maruti and Hyundai for S-Cross and Creta.
ram_hyundai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 12:25   #6
BHPian

From a value perspective both Creta and Scross are way overpriced as compared to Ecosport. The Creta AT, apart from Diesel doesn't provide any of the advanced features that a AT should normally have. I feel manufacturers have become over ambitious and today's generation doesn't mind an additional lakh or two. They are capitalizing on this and are making hay when sunshines. Nothing wrong about it, but as mentioned by others we consumers are affected and are also to be blamed for accepting these high prices.
Chillout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 13:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The S-Cross DDiS 200 is a good bet for those wanting a largish car and comes with lot of good features in all variants like 2 airbags, Front and Rear Disc brakes, ABS, good quality plastics to name a few. But the engine is 1.3 Litres.
@NPV
I beg to differ.

The onroad cost of the base S-Cross(Sigma) in Thane is close to 10.6 lacs.
At this price point you would expect at least the below to be offered:
  • Rear Wipe and Demister
  • Dual Airbags
  • Music System with Bluetooth connectivity
  • Manual AC
  • No Rear Parking Sensors

S-(CROSS) with the pricing vs the feature in the base(Sigma) and Delta
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 14:23   #8
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
@NPV
I beg to differ.
I also feel it is overpriced as I mentioned on the S-Cross thread. I was saying that for those who feel the price of the DDiS 200 is justified, it may be a good bet, sorry if that wasn't clear Yes, even the Ciaz may feel more premium.
Also for me at least, the Sigma will never be in consideration as it loses out on quite a lot of equipment other than airbags and brakes.

Last edited by NPV : 6th August 2015 at 14:24.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 14:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
From a value perspective both Creta and Scross are way overpriced as compared to Ecosport. The Creta AT, apart from Diesel doesn't provide any of the advanced features that a AT should normally have. I feel manufacturers have become over ambitious and today's generation doesn't mind an additional lakh or two. They are capitalizing on this and are making hay when sunshines. Nothing wrong about it, but as mentioned by others we consumers are affected and are also to be blamed for accepting these high prices.
What you said about customers are to be blamed hold good. But things are changing. The second reason why the S-Cross would not sell would be the Nexa network. I don't think MSIL would get t wrong also. So expect a lot more Nexa dealerships to open soon. Even if it does the pricing is also a deciding factor. Imagine a customer coming in to look at the S-Cross and he needs to compare the same with Ritz or Dzire ( potential competition for S-Cross) he needs to hunt for another dealership.
Maybe this is one reason for them to keep it separate also. They don't want to compromise on Dzire numbers still needs the S-cross to sell also. They would definitely say that its a different segment altogether also.
Old 6th August 2015, 14:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

The title of the thread asks a question - Would the new launches of Creta & S-Cross be a threat to the existing CUVs namely Duster, Terrano & Ecosport.
My short answer to it (IMO) is 'yes'. These new launches are a threat and would definitely wean many prospective customers away by their more contemporary looks, features etc.
At the same time I also feel this is an opportunity for them because it expands this segment bringing in more potential buyers - hence if they make the moves demanded by the market, they could turn this threat into an opportunity.
Will they - is another question.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 15:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

At these prices, I don't think they will be threat to any car. Creta, may be, to some extent. But S-Cross? Hell no. Actually, I think sales of Ecosport/Duster should see some spurt in numbers as the ones who waited to check out new kids might go back to these and save some moolah.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 15:11   #12
BHPian

Whenever the asking price is more than the expected price, there is bound to be a sense of regret, anger, etc.. If the product is really good and even though it is not worth the price, people get attuned to the price and proceed with the purchase, of course with some reluctance initially.

We must keep in mind that all products keep getting more costly with each generation. Take mobile phones for example. Samsung Galaxy S1 when launched was about Rs.20,000/-. With each new model the prices kept going up and the S6 started at around Rs.50,000/-, that is 250% higher in a matter of about 4 years. Similar is the example of Iphones. Based on the demand, the prices kept going only in one direction.

When I bought my Honda City in 2006, the price was approx. Rs.8 lakhs for Gxi variant. Today the SV model costs Rs.10.2 lakhs. There is little we can do about the cost. The only thing we can decide is whether we can still go ahead with the purchase for the asking price. That again depends on how desperately we require the vehicle to forgo the seemingly extra cost.
thesilentone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 15:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
At these prices, I don't think they will be threat to any car. Creta, may be, to some extent. But S-Cross? Hell no. Actually, I think sales of Ecosport/Duster should see some spurt in numbers as the ones who waited to check out new kids might go back to these and save some moolah.
Creta has created the fire in the brains of 20000 customers (initial bookings). Now these customers who has the fire in them are running all over to other places to satisfy themselves. These customers might never have thought of buying a car at this point of them but now the takers would be others. They all are having smiles on their face seeing the way the situation is favourable for them now.
Old 6th August 2015, 16:03   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The Creta IMO will sell reasonably well even after the initial hype dies down. It is definitely a good package and will definitely take away numbers from the Duster, Terrano and the C Segment Sedans.

On the other hand, I see no reason for anyone to by an S Cross. It does not have any real USP like looks, price, space, features (apart from a couple of nice to have features not see in the other cars). IMO only someone who is completely loyal to Maruti and not comfortable with other brands would buy the S Cross. And there definitely will be a good number of such customers.
Old 6th August 2015, 17:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

We already have people who bought Creta coz it had more goodies than what they have currently. The same cant be said for S-Cross; its a confused product at that price.

I see Ertiga as a bigger Swift and now the S-Cross in the same group. It's not even a proper SUV. They should have given it a better petrol engine with auto. This variant would have helped it sell more ( competition to TSI/Punto T-Jet).

I also know someone who wants to 'upgrade' from Duster to Creta and so basically, if you want a better mini-SUV, get Creta else get the old timers.

Edit: I think manufactures read forums a lot these days and found that we need a SUV in 10-20 lac bracket. They heard us, this is the output..Creta is an example

Last edited by jkdas : 6th August 2015 at 17:05.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed