Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 12:51   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Land Rover Discovery Sport CKD assembly commences in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
No worries, ....., X3 came out as the winner that too with 2L engine.
Yes, true that. I read most of the global reviews/comparo between the Disco Sport/Q5/X3 and X3 is a clear winner. However, it was the +2 seats that was tempting me to go for the Sport. But from the above posts looks like the +2 seats will come only in the top end version which is like 75 lakhs on the road. This is above my budget and pushing into X5 territory. Decided to stick with X3..
Old 29th August 2015, 12:22   #17
BHPian

Folks,

Just booked a Discovery Sport HSE Lux. The thing is I've booked two different colors one at Navneet motors and one with Tata motors.

Now I'd like to know from any JLR folks on this forum who has a better service center in mumbai. I think that's what it will come down to when deciding which dealership to go with so to speak. Appreciate your inputs.

I love the white with tan. The second color is Loire blue.

Having a tough time attaching photos on the mobile site. Shall download the app and append soon.

IMO when it comes to serious off reading. In the category this is in its the only one that can do it. Now when saying that I still feel like the pricing is appalling but, the X3 can off road worth sh*t. It's really more of a crossover that can go on a dirt road when required. Much like the GLA. This is where the discovery is a whole other animal.

Land Rover Discovery Sport CKD assembly commences in Pune-imageuploadedbyteambhp1440939079.748450.jpgLand Rover Discovery Sport CKD assembly commences in Pune-imageuploadedbyteambhp1440939095.878116.jpgLand Rover Discovery Sport CKD assembly commences in Pune-imageuploadedbyteambhp1440939115.816548.jpgLand Rover Discovery Sport CKD assembly commences in Pune-imageuploadedbyteambhp1440939134.766559.jpgLand Rover Discovery Sport CKD assembly commences in Pune-imageuploadedbyteambhp1440939150.652004.jpgLand Rover Discovery Sport CKD assembly commences in Pune-imageuploadedbyteambhp1440939163.088752.jpg

Images as promised

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2015 at 11:43. Reason: Merging back to back posts
R170 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 21:00   #18
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2015 at 11:44.
Arindam_Nayek is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th August 2015, 21:02   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R170 View Post
IMO when it comes to serious off reading.
You think people buy 70 lakh to go serious off-roading?? </joke> The Discovery sport shares it's platform with the Evoque which in turn shares it platform with the Freelander which in turn is a ford product. Yes, it has the terrain response system, etc,..

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th August 2015 at 21:25. Reason: editing
Old 30th August 2015, 21:15   #20
Team-BHP Support

Re: LR Discovery Sport

Quote:
Folks,

Just booked a Discovery Sport HSE Lux. The thing is I've booked two different colors one at Navneet motors and one with Tata motors.

Now I'd like to know from any JLR folks on this forum who has a better service center in mumbai. I think that's what it will come down to when deciding which dealership to go with so to speak. Appreciate your inputs.

I love the white with tan. The second color is Loire blue.

Having a tough time attaching photos on the mobile site. Shall download the app and append soon.
Is Tata Motors still selling directly? Last I heard they had stopped selling cars from their showroom, and that the showroom and workshop are on sale.

Congrats though, the Disco Sport looks nicer than I thought. But for just a few more lacs you could get an X5 which is running some nice discounts.

As for which service centre is better? You can use both and you will get the same rubbish service at both.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but after what my friends have gone through with JLR India I cannot say anything good about them.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 21:52   #21
BHPian

How is the 3rd row in the new disco? Can adults use it?
Old 30th August 2015, 22:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Is Tata Motors still selling directly? Last I heard they had stopped selling cars from their showroom, and that the showroom and workshop are on sale.

Congrats though, the Disco Sport looks nicer than I thought. But for just a few more lacs you could get an X5 which is running some nice discounts.

As for which service centre is better? You can use both and you will get the same rubbish service at both.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but after what my friends have gone through with JLR India I cannot say anything good about them.

Hey Akshay,

Just thought I'd get a feeler. First real off-roader I wanted and felt the disco could do that with a little luxury. Any idea how much the discounts are on the X5 now?

Yeah I've heard that thee service isn't that great and I know that's what most people feel about skoda too and I've owned 2 for the past 6 years and do ok. So I though I'd try my luck again

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4$pd View Post
How is the 3rd row in the new disco? Can adults use it?

Definitely Not for adults and the LR folks are clear about that in their sales pitch and promos. It's just a nice to have in my opinion and that's it. Short rides of 10 15 mins perhaps you can get an adult in the back. But that's it.

Also, keep in mind that with the +2 config you don't end up with a full size spare. You get a space saver bolted to the underside of the back.

Quote:
Sorry I forgot to answer this part. I don't know about any sale but, do know that Tata invoices all their cars through Navneet for Mumbai. The Tata dealership did mention that they have their own service centre and no longer share one with Navneet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
You think people buy 70 lakh to go serious off-roading?? </joke> The Discovery sport shares it's platform with the Evoque which in turn shares it platform with the Freelander which in turn is a ford product. Yes, it has the terrain response system, etc,..
Let me clarify further I suppose ... in it's peer group its definitely the most capable off roader. There are vehicles cheaper than this that can do a good job and certainly ones that cost a heck of a lot more. So when it comes to having something thats relatively luxurious that you "know" can do some decent off roading this would be a good choice. If your intent is to be 95% in the city then perhaps a x3 in this group would be a good bet.

Last edited by Zappo : 1st September 2015 at 17:48. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multiquote option.
Old 31st August 2015, 14:48   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey Akshay,

Just thought I'd get a feeler. First real off-roader I wanted and felt the disco could do that with a little luxury. Any idea how much the discounts are on the X5 now?

Yeah I've heard that thee service isn't that great and I know that's what most people feel about skoda too and I've owned 2 for the past 6 years and do ok. So I though I'd try my luck again

Sorry I forgot to answer this part. I don't know about any sale but, do know that Tata invoices all their cars through Navneet for Mumbai. The Tata dealership did mention that they have their own service centre and no longer share one with Navneet.
Aah but its not as capable an off roader as the real Discovery or the Range Rover. If you are looking at it from that perspective then I think its a mistake. Also for most of the offroading we do in and around Mumbai, the X3 or Q5 more than suffice. This is my opinion. If you are going to do serious offroading, the Discovery Sport will be better but it still doesn't have a low range.

Last I checked, for an individual registration outside Mumbai the X5 5 seater higher end trim could be had for around 75 on road, and another 3 lacs odd for inside Mumbai. Pretty good discounts if you ask me, and its a look superior to the Discovery Sport.

Aah yes, so Tata has stopped invoicing the cars themselves in the last few months.

Buddy Skoda service has improved, and even for a 20l car its not good. For a 70l car I wouldn't want service like that. Especially not JLR which can make Skoda service look good at times.

I suggest you reconsider and get the X5.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 15:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Aah but its not as capable an off roader as the real Discovery or the Range Rover. If you are looking at it from that perspective then I think its a mistake. Also for most of the offroading we do in and around Mumbai, the X3 or Q5 more than suffice. This is my opinion. If you are going to do serious offroading, the Discovery Sport will be better but it still doesn't have a low range.

Last I checked, for an individual registration outside Mumbai the X5 5 seater higher end trim could be had for around 75 on road, and another 3 lacs odd for inside Mumbai. Pretty good discounts if you ask me, and its a look superior to the Discovery Sport.

Aah yes, so Tata has stopped invoicing the cars themselves in the last few months.

Buddy Skoda service has improved, and even for a 20l car its not good. For a 70l car I wouldn't want service like that. Especially not JLR which can make Skoda service look good at times.

Appreciate the insight on the X5 pricing. I was looking to so me trips out to Rajasthan and he Himalayas for a little bit of off-roading. Unfortunately the larger disco and the RR albeit a lot better are double the cost :(

I'll take your points into serious consideration. Thanks.
Old 31st August 2015, 15:24   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
First real off-roader I wanted and felt the disco could do that with a little luxury. Any idea how much the discounts are on the X5 now?
Not really an Off-Roader save for terrain response and all that gimmicks , you can expect about 5-6 Lac discounts on New reduced price lists

Quote:
+1 - this is not something you want to park in your living room , you must consider service aspects , I remember BMW have added some 4 x 4 gizmos in newer X5 which are surprisingly missing from Catalog / spec sheet . There is an Electronic Compass and some X-Drive widgetry which tells angle at which car is tilted . I was able to take this car on roadside curb which was probably over 1 1/2 ft with ease something I last did in my Pajero last time .

Will suggest you to drive both vehicles back to back before booking

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st August 2015 at 15:26.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 16:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Not really an Off-Roader save for terrain response and all that gimmicks , you can expect about 5-6 Lac discounts on New reduced price lists

+1 - this is not something you want to park in your living room , you must consider service aspects , I remember BMW have added some 4 x 4 gizmos in newer X5 which are surprisingly missing from Catalog / spec sheet . There is an Electronic Compass and some X-Drive widgetry which tells angle at which car is tilted . I was able to take this car on roadside curb which was probably over 1 1/2 ft with ease something I last did in my Pajero last time .

Will suggest you to drive both vehicles back to back before booking
Thanks man ... I shall give BMW a call tomorrow to get a TD and also understand what the Delta is onroad for Mumbai.

Thanks again
Old 31st August 2015, 17:49   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Appreciate the insight on the X5 pricing. I was looking to so me trips out to Rajasthan and he Himalayas for a little bit of off-roading. Unfortunately the larger disco and the RR albeit a lot better are double the cost :(

I'll take your points into serious consideration. Thanks.
Those trips will be very much possible in both the X3 and X5. The ride will be better in the Disco Sport than the X3. If you are interested in the X5 I can put you on to my salesman at Infinity.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 19:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Those trips will be very much possible in both the X3 and X5. The ride will be better in the Disco Sport than the X3. If you are interested in the X5 I can put you on to my salesman at Infinity.
Hey Akshay,

Appreciate the advise. I am very curious now regarding the X5. I called Navneet and they mentioned they have two trip one is the base and the other with called DP with Nav, Panoramic roof etc. (in a way like the disco sport HSE Lux). The first trim is around 86 onroad and the DP trim is around 91 or so. This is without any discounts at the moment. Please do share your contacts name and no. at Infinity I shall certainly give him a buzz too.

I'm trying my best to find articles and videos online that would compare the offroad abilities of the X5 and Disco sport but, since they are in different segments this is hard to come by. They do compare the Discovery to the X5 but then the Discovery wins on offroading but, thats a whole other beast and price point.

Super confused still ... will look up the X5's off road credentials. I know she's great on the road.

Cheers

Folks strangely enough the more research I do on the Disco Sport vs. the X5 purely on off-roading ability ... surprisingly the Disco sport is coming up on top.

Last edited by Zappo : 1st September 2015 at 17:52. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multiquote button.
Old 31st August 2015, 22:55   #29
Team-BHP Support

are they launching with old Ford engines or their new generation one's ?

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/brit...sh-new-diesels

Quote:
I do on the Disco Sport vs. the X5 purely on off-roading ability ... surprisingly the Disco sport is coming up on top
I don't think X5 and Sports are in same segment - can you forward any link where someone has reviewed both together ? Will suggest you to speak to some of owners at their workshop to have first hand experience in case you are sold on this car
Old 31st August 2015, 23:45   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
are they launching with old Ford engines or their new generation one's ?

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/brit...sh-new-diesels

I don't think X5 and Sports are in same segment - can you forward any link where someone has reviewed both together ? Will suggest you to speak to some of owners at their workshop to have first hand experience in case you are sold on this car
No we are getting the current 2.2 L Ford engines to begin with. In a year I expect the new inginium engines to come into this model ... Like they will in the XE at launch and the XF.

I can't find direct comparison videos just as you are stating but, having to view independent videos and kinda do the math here : )

Just to make things super confusing I'm now also looking at the new Ford Endeavour that looks fairly capable but I can't get an exact release date on that car. Supposed to be EOY.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed