Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2015, 02:34   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Land Rover Discovery Sport CKD assembly commences in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by R170 View Post
Hey Akshay,

Appreciate the advise. I am very curious now regarding the X5. I called Navneet and they mentioned they have two trip one is the base and the other with called DP with Nav, Panoramic roof etc. (in a way like the disco sport HSE Lux). The first trim is around 86 onroad and the DP trim is around 91 or so. This is without any discounts at the moment. Please do share your contacts name and no. at Infinity I shall certainly give him a buzz too.

I'm trying my best to find articles and videos online that would compare the offroad abilities of the X5 and Disco sport but, since they are in different segments this is hard to come by. They do compare the Discovery to the X5 but then the Discovery wins on offroading but, thats a whole other beast and price point.

Super confused still ... will look up the X5's off road credentials. I know she's great on the road.

Cheers
Call Infinity in Worli and ask for Winston. You can give him my reference. There are most definitely discounts on the X5. And the one I spoke off for 75 on road outside octroi was the DPE 5 seater.

I suggest you take a drive of both and see which one you like, simply because for what you mentioned both will do those trips with ease.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 16:49   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R170 View Post
Folks strangely enough the more research I do on the Disco Sport vs. the X5 purely on off-roading ability ... surprisingly the Disco sport is coming up on top.
For most buyers of SUVs in this price range, the intention is probably to use it 75% on road maybe 25% off-road, forest trails and that type of stuff, but in your case since you are looking for hardcore off-roader then Discovery Sport is the way to go.

Only thing to keep in mind is that the engine is a generation behind the others, secondly the on-road and high speed handling are not as good as the rivals. The 9-Speed does a lot of gear hunting. Engine is noisy compared to the others.

Kindly post some of your hardcore off-roading trips. It will be really good to see someone actually take the Discovery Sport to off-road events which are mostly inhabitted by Thar's Gypsy's etc...
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 19:06   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
For most buyers of SUVs in this price range, the intention is probably to use it 75% on road maybe 25% off-road, forest trails and that type of stuff, but in your case since you are looking for hardcore off-roader then Discovery Sport is the way to go.
I have to agree with you here 9 out of 10 times the bias of onroad to off road is what you have suggested if not even 90:10. If i'm really serious about the off road then even though Disco not in the same segment as the X5 it's probably better for off-road off-road purposes.

Quote:
Only thing to keep in mind is that the engine is a generation behind the others, secondly the on-road and high speed handling are not as good as the rivals. The 9-Speed does a lot of gear hunting. Engine is noisy compared to the others.
I completely agree with you sir but, don't have the heart to wait another year at this point : )!

Quote:
Kindly post some of your hardcore off-roading trips. It will be really good to see someone actually take the Discovery Sport to off-road events which are mostly inhabitted by Thar's Gypsy's etc...
If I get through this process with the right ride I certainly will
Old 2nd September 2015, 07:03   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the Terrain System missing the Indian Terrain selection ?

Jokes apart the off-roadability of the high end SUVs is more myth than fact. First off they come with HT Tyres and will work only on dry hard surfaces.

So the first call one has to make is should I go for AT or MT tyres and spoil the road handling and deal with increased tyre noise or retain the HT tyres and compromise your off-roadability.

Having all the hardware and HT tyres is like a Body builder working out his whole body except for his wrist...

Any luxury SUV with 200+mm ground clearance, traction control, and ESP with ability to lock individual spinning wheel will perform similarly off-road.

Don't get me wrong. I am a fan of the Landrover range. But to me the last couple of products were mostly Ford derived and not true Landrovers. So putting a Terrain system response in a Ford doesnt' make it a Landrover...
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover Discovery Sport CKD assembly commences in Pune-discoveryscrewed.jpg  

4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:06   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Don't get me wrong. I am a fan of the Landrover range. But to me the last couple of products were mostly Ford derived and not true Landrovers. So putting a Terrain system response in a Ford doesnt' make it a Landrover...
I beg to differ, all the products are Land Rover designed. The engines and the electrical architecture came from BMW, then Ford
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:46   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Is the Terrain System missing the Indian Terrain selection ?

Jokes apart the off-roadability of the high end SUVs is more myth than fact. First off they come with HT Tyres and will work only on dry hard surfaces.
Our ML class begs to differ

I have driven this thing off-road many many times. Through water, dirt tracks and places that quite frankly, I was skeptical that our car could even handle. Luxury SUVs are quite capable off-road vehicles. Its just that the majority of people don't take them off-road, instead using them to ferry kids to and from school and going to the shopping malls.
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover Discovery Sport CKD assembly commences in Pune-cjv_1beveaajd0l.jpg-large.jpg  

Jeeper1941 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 09:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post

I have driven this thing off-road many many times. Through water, dirt tracks and places that quite frankly, I was skeptical that our car could even handle. Luxury SUVs are quite capable off-road vehicles. Its just that the majority of people don't take them off-road, instead using them to ferry kids to and from school and going to the shopping malls.
I'm going to have to agree with Jeeper here. Specifically the Larger Luxury SUV's a little more difficult to say the same about a GLA or a X1 etc. But for an ML up. I think they have some off roading credentials to explore at the least
Old 2nd September 2015, 12:03   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I beg to differ, all the products are Land Rover designed. The engines and the electrical architecture came from BMW, then Ford
Please see the following:

"The second generation Freelander is based on the Ford EUCD platform"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Freelander

"The Evoque platform, named LR-MS, is loosely based on the Ford EUCD platform (which was used on the company's Freelander 2) but 90% of its parts were redesigned"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_Rover_Evoque
The discovery sport is based on the evoque platorm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
I don't think you need to beg to differ cause I agree with you. These SUVs are capable of dirt tracks, forest tracks, estate roads, etc, etc. but I was saying that you cannot participate in any of the off-roading events held by the 4x4 clubs.

I use driven my X3 off-road similar to what you have shown in you picture, but I am sure that I won't do extreme off-road. I would any day use my Thar or Duster 4WD for that. That was my point.
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover Discovery Sport CKD assembly commences in Pune-x3streamcrossing.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd September 2015 at 14:12. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think you need to beg to differ cause I agree with you. These SUVs are capable of dirt tracks, forest tracks, estate roads, etc, etc. but I was saying that you cannot participate in any of the off-roading events held by the 4x4 clubs.

I use driven my X3 off-road similar to what you have shown in you picture, but I am sure that I won't do extreme off-road. I would any day use my Thar or Duster 4WD for that. That was my point.
That was just a random picture I took last week when we were out on a friend's farm. Interestingly, to get to that point (in the picture) we had to ford a stream (about 3 feet deep) and climb a hill about 30 degrees incline.

Yes, these cars are not capable of extreme off-roading that can be performed by modded Jeeps etc. but the point I was trying to make is that they can handle 90% of the terrain that is out there during "normal" off-road use. (Many 4x4 clubs use extreme terrain just to demonstrate the capability of their vehicles, but in reality driving on such terrain is very rare, and illegal in most instances).

Some pictures of the ML-class doing off-roading (these are not pictures of our ML).

Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover Discovery Sport CKD assembly commences in Pune-1.jpg  

Land Rover Discovery Sport CKD assembly commences in Pune-2.jpg  

Land Rover Discovery Sport CKD assembly commences in Pune-3.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2015, 13:51   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Possible , they used to have an optional Off Road package that included an option to lock differential , perhaps your's is one with this extra..

Quote..

Off-Road Pro engineering package
As an extra-cost option, the W164 M-Class was available with an ‘Off-Road Pro engineering package’ which included:
A two-speed transfer case with a 2.93:1 low range ratio for off-road use. The low range ratio could be engaged while the vehicle was in motion, providing vehicle speed was below 40 km/h and the gearshift lever was in the neutral ‘N’ position. Maximum speed for shifting from the low range ratio to the standard ratio was 70 km/h;
A multi-disc differential lock that was integrated in the transfer case and a rear differential lock for the reinforced rear axle. A rotary switch in the centre console enabled the driver to engage the differential locks or select an automatic mode which activated the centre lock whenever required. Both differential locks could provide a 100 per cent locking effect;
A modified version of the Airmatic air suspension which could increase ground clearance to 291 mm (an increase of 110 mm) and the vehicle’s fording depth to a maximum of 600 mm; and,
A steel under-ride guard.

Source: http://australiancar.reviews/reviews...-Class&gen=622

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd September 2015 at 13:54.
Old 2nd September 2015, 14:39   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Possible , they used to have an optional Off Road package that included an option to lock differential , perhaps your's is one with this extra..

Quote..

Off-Road Pro engineering package
============

Source: http://australiancar.reviews/reviews...-Class&gen=622
For the pictures we are seeing above this kit won't really be required. The low range capabilities will really help when doing some insane rock crawling of really steep inclines I would help. Diff locking does certainly help.

Just TDed the BMW X5 3L inline 6 258 bhp Design Pure edition 5 seater. I must say for a vehicle it's size it handles amazingly. I was most impressed with the pneumatic suspension (rear shocks) it had which really muted any bumps and ruts on the bad roads of Bombay.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd September 2015 at 15:49. Reason: Please quote only relevant portions of the post.
Old 2nd September 2015, 18:45   #42
Team-BHP Support

The Land Rover Discovery Sport has been launched in India. Please continue the discussion in the new thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed