Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2015, 14:57   #1
BHPian

CSIR Study: CNG vehicles emit dangerous nanocarbon

Quote:
AHMEDABAD: The compressed natural gas (CNG)-run buses are harmful for humans as they emit "nanocarbon" particles which can cause cancer, according to a study conducted by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
http://m.timesofindia.com/home/envir...w/48377499.cms
darklord is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 14:51   #2
BHPian

Re: CSIR Study: CNG vehicles emit dangerous nanocarbon

And so do diesel vehicles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust
But we've always ignored the nano-particles from diesel exhaust and most likely we will do the same with this piece of information too. The other fact to note is that this was something presented at the Global Green Energy Conclave and I do not see any numbers that tell us if this is more dangerous than the nano particles emitted by diesel engines. Hopefully we will start using electric vehicles and relegate IC engines to large power plants where exhaust can be treated effectively instead of just dumping it into the atmosphere.
Old 10th August 2015, 15:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about the commercial vehicles running on CNG but shouldn't the catalytic convertors of the modern petrol vehicles running on CNG atleast be able to trap the nano particles ?
Old 10th August 2015, 17:40   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I don't know about the commercial vehicles running on CNG but shouldn't the catalytic convertors of the modern petrol vehicles running on CNG atleast be able to trap the nano particles ?
I do not think CatCons are for trapping particles.

Of course the usual suspects (CSE) were out in force challenging this report, saying it is motivated. Once should not forget the PIL against Diesel vehicles by them (at the time the Indica came out) was reportedly sponsored by another giant carmaker!
Old 10th August 2015, 18:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I do not think CatCons are for trapping particles.
Yes that's correct, just looked up on Wiki they convert the harmful gases to comparatively harmless gases etc.

But there must be a way to trap & filter the particles from the exhaust of even diesel vehicles as to how we have a air filter to filter out foreign substances from entering the engine !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks