Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2015, 13:15   #1
Team-BHP Support

Toyota launches Etios Xclusive at Rs. 7.82 lakh

Toyota has launched the Xclusive edition of the Etios sedan in India. The car gets some cosmetic changes and additional equipment.

The exteriors of the Etios Xclusive feature Xclusive badges, door visors and electrically adjustable door mirrors with chrome inserts and integrated turn indicators.

Toyota launches Etios Xclusive at Rs. 7.82 lakh-ext.png

On the inside, the Etios Xclusive is equipped with a Smart Link infotainment system that features a touchscreen with hand and air gesture control, Bluetooth connectivity, six speakers, voice function and smartphone enable navigation. The dashboard and armrests of the car are finished in wood grain and the seats are upholstered in dual tone fabric.

Name:  Int.png
Views: 5314
Size:  396.9 KB

Other features include dual front airbags, reverse parking sensors, 12-spoke alloy wheels, fog lamps and a steering wheel with mounted audio controls.

The Etios Xclusive is priced at Rs. 7,82,215 for the petrol and Rs. 8,92,965 for the diesel (ex-showroom, Delhi). The car is available in three body colours - blue metallic (new), silver and pearl white.

The Etios Xclusive does not get any mechanical changes. It continues with the same 1.5-litre petrol and 1.4-litre diesel engines as the regular Etios.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th August 2015 at 16:10.
Aditya is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 14:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota launches Etios Xclusive at Rs. 7.82 lakh

Looks good in the interiors yet missed the following:

1) No ACC. Come on Toyota. For a car costing Rs. 10 l + on road atleast deserves this.
2) Again, not a fan of the combi meters and central placement. Pls. change this to the traditional space and safely assume a 10% sale increment.
3) The dual tone fabric does not gel with the overall colour scheme in the pictures. Maybe, the actual scenario will look better.
4) Toyota missed a chance to give a full MID. Big thumbs down here.

BTW, I am not a fan of the recent chrome fascia. Does not sync with the overall car design.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 17:07   #3
BHPian

What's also missing is a dedicated Rear Central Arm Rest. What's with the plastic wood madness anyway?
Old 10th August 2015, 17:45   #4
BHPian

I don't understand. Is it really necessary and/or logical to include a sticker/badge/graphic etc. that mentions name of special edition in it's feature list? Imagine boasting that your car in 'ZDi' variant came with a 'ZDi' badging.

As for 'Xclusive' here, chrome on ORVMs and wood finish. Just did a facepalm.
Senna4Ever is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 17:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

I like it. For a limited edition, it introduces new mirror feature and an exclusive colour. Even the wooden look seems nice. People seeking change in interior will require a facelift, and not an edition.

Is there something like this in Liva too?
Old 10th August 2015, 18:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Etios was always supposed to be a budget sedan, now they're making limited editions of budget sedans, really???

And the extent of the limited edition is electric ORVM's, a limited edition badge and fake wooden inserts. Seriously???

And then they wonder why the car does not rake up the volumes as expected?

Sometimes I marvel at the intelligence levels of our marketing folks. The sad part is that they're doing this to an iconic brand like Toyota. Some heads should roll for this travesty.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 18:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

WTH is wrong with the pricing? For 10L plus onroad I would not even look at Etios. All Toyota's comes with a premium. I don't know why these foreign makers (most of them) discriminate, first we get so called new generation cars when the world switches to next gen., then the pricing seems like they assume we have tons of gold in our pockets.

Last edited by mercedised : 10th August 2015 at 18:09.
mercedised is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 20:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
WTH is wrong with the pricing? For 10L plus onroad I would not even look at Etios. All Toyota's comes with a premium. I don't know why these foreign makers (most of them) discriminate, first we get so called new generation cars when the world switches to next gen., then the pricing seems like they assume we have tons of gold in our pockets.
Having owned both a Toyota (Innova) and an Honda (Civic) as well as the current Ertiga, let me tell you, I will any day pay 10L for a Toyota even if its somewhat under-specified for equivalent trims. Any day ! The reliability, long life, good resale and low cost of ownership more than makes up for any presumed flaws.

What I do NOT approve of, and I hope Toyota fixes, are the lack of safety features. Ford is really showing the way here with at least 1-2 models with top-of-the-line safety kit as an option. However, Toyota has started putting airbags as standard. That's a s-m-a-l-l beginning, but a beginning nevertheless.
Contrapunto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 20:49   #9
BHPian

I were to be buying this car, aforesaid enhancements would not matter to me, I would expect:
1. Traditional Console placement.
2. Better Plastics
3. ACC

The wood grain finish in the pics looks hideous, Its costing a million bucks and I guess my 3 cents above is very humble.

Last edited by 2500cc : 10th August 2015 at 20:52.
2500cc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 21:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Having owned both a Toyota (Innova) and an Honda (Civic) as well as the current Ertiga, let me tell you, I will any day pay 10L for a Toyota even if its somewhat under-specified for equivalent trims. Any day ! The reliability, long life, good resale and low cost of ownership more than makes up for any presumed flaws.
When it comes from the mouth of the owner, I believe that! Fuss-free and low cost of ownership is what I have heard from all the Toyota\Honda\Maruti owners. But, still my senses don't allow me to pay X + Y amount for a thing which should have been priced at X. Why is there a premium? Are they doing any favour to me by selling a trouble free car? No, we have paid for it and there ends the favour! Atlast everybody sees the things differently, some prefer X over Y and some prefer X and Y, there is nothing wrong in both the cases; but, still I don't prefer paying premium for any BRAND.
Old 10th August 2015, 23:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
When it comes from the mouth of the owner, I believe that! Fuss-free and low cost of ownership is what I have heard from all the Toyota\Honda\Maruti owners. But, still my senses don't allow me to pay X + Y amount for a thing which should have been priced at X. Why is there a premium? Are they doing any favour to me by selling a trouble free car? No, we have paid for it and there ends the favour! Atlast everybody sees the things differently, some prefer X over Y and some prefer X and Y, there is nothing wrong in both the cases; but, still I don't prefer paying premium for any BRAND.
There is obviously a very valid point of view there. And greed and increased the premium beyond what many find reasonable. For evidence, look no further than the fact that so many of their brands underperform relative to potential. Etios included.
Old 10th August 2015, 23:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Rather than doing half hearted attempts like Exclusive edition, extrapolated edition. Wouldn't plonking an AT box boost sales better? Given that most B2, C1, C2 are introducing atleast one automatic variant and they have a good demand as well (reflecting in the wait times for AT variants).
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 00:03   #13
BHPian

I am straight up admiring that SmartLink Infotainment System. Hand and Air gestures to control ICE hasn't even been incorporated into the S-Class (benchmark for car tech, I would say) Is this for real? or is this something they're just saying to sell the Xclusive variant?
Old 11th August 2015, 00:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post

What I do NOT approve of, and I hope Toyota fixes, are the lack of safety features. Ford is really showing the way here with at least 1-2 models with top-of-the-line safety kit as an option. However, Toyota has started putting airbags as standard. That's a s-m-a-l-l beginning, but a beginning nevertheless.
Well, it's this very trust of their die hard fans that has given Toyota their reputation and the (over?!)confidence that they show in our market.

And @Contrapunto, your trust over the Innova is totally deserved, it's a really solid car with quality to swear by - and everyone and their uncle knows that by now - though, the Innova is one thing. An Etios is another. And I feel the Etios, good as it is, is still not that much of a Toyota as an Innova or Fortuner.

Okay it will still be as reliable, and never go kaput at the wrong time like Europeans, or have niggles like our homegrown products, but, at the same time, an integral part of the Toyota brand is the sheer feeling of quality and robustness, which one gets every single time you step into, or drive one, which is practically the reason people take them for whatever number Toyota puts up on the sticker. That is what really seems to be missing on that car.

It has this unmistakable cheap and compromised feel to it, both exterior and interior, that simply can't be ignored. It just doesn't feel like it is made by the same people who make Camrys and Fortuners. The interior especially feels low-grade. Plus the engines, apart from the 1.5 petrol, are underpowered and unrefined.

And when Toyota should've undercut it's more premium and powerful rivals in pricing, they instead price it considerably above them! That is where the overconfidence is visible.

Also, the reliability you speak of, is common to all Jap's. I'm slightly surprised that you take Toyota as more reliable after owning a Honda (though the Civic did have it's few issues, starting with GC). In those days, Hondas also were really cars to stand by for reliability. If you would've owned a CR-V, I'm sure you would've had a similar opinion about Honda as well.

As for the safety features, it's a great thing most carmakers (especially foreigners) are getting very serious about these days, but truth is, the public still rarely cares.

But here, it seems more of a case of justifying the price tag and making the product more relevant, than actually taking steps to improve safety. If Toyota would've added the safety kit to the car when it would've been selling very well, only then I would've accepted it as proper action in regard to safety. But I'm sure Toyota, or any Jap for that matter, wouldn't have bothered to tinker with a successful formula, even though it were unsafe!

Though in the end, standard safety equipment is always good news.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th August 2015 at 14:11. Reason: Spacing for better readability
mukul32 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 09:19   #15
BHPian

I would buy it , if not for the stupid placement of the speedo console in the centre .

As far as I know this is not a sub 4 mt car , which makes seating 5 people very comfortable .

Add to that , the reliability of the Toyota brand , it's a good car .

Most Viewed