Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2015, 09:49   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Fiat India has postponed the launch of the Punto Evo Abarth in India from October 10th to October 19th, 2015.

OnCars
RavenAvi, I'm sorry to say this, but your statement is misleading.
It cannot be called as postponement when the earlier date was just a speculation.
As far as I remember, October 10th was an approximate date given by the dealers who were pre-booking the vehicle.
IMO, Its just that the speculations were not correct
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 10:07   #422

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
It is still the same 5 speed manual C510 gear box as found in existing FIATs. No six speed, AFAIK
You are correct, it would seem. I assumed that Fiat would up the game by offering the six speed manual that they do in other markets, but I suppose cost cutting factored in whilst making this decision.
Old 9th October 2015, 10:35   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM-58 View Post
With a sub 10 lakh sticker price, Fiat have a chance to hit the nail on the head here. The Polo GTI is also slated for launch, and it has a 1.8 litre turbocharged engine also seen on the Octavia and the Superb, but I can't see how it will cost less than 15 lakhs. Plus, it will most probably be offered only with a DSG gearbox in India. Enthusiasts will, therefore, make a beeline for the Abarth with its six speed manual and VFM factor.
The easy things are going for Volkswagen, it wouldn't be a surprise if their Polo GTI launch will be delayed indefinitely.
Old 9th October 2015, 11:00   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM-58 View Post
Enthusiasts will, therefore, make a beeline for the Abarth with its six speed manual and VFM factor.
The Punto Evo Abarth is getting the same 5 speed box from the Linea Tjet and there is no 6 speed box available.
Old 9th October 2015, 11:01   #425
BHPian

At one moment we had speculations of how FIAT with >10L price will be suicide for the Abarth Punto and now amidst speculations of 15=17L GTI it's being mentioned in the same sentence as VFM.
I understand both points of view, please do not misconstrue this in any way, I just wanted to juxtapose the two (relatively valid) points of view...
Old 9th October 2015, 12:10   #426
Senior - BHPian

A spec comparison by Motorbeam between:

'Hottest Hatch in Production today' (GT TSI)

and the
'Hatch that is going to Whizz by soon' (Punto Abarth)

Link

Snapshot:

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-abarth-gt.jpg

IMO Punto Abarth cannot be pitted against GT TSI, barring the fact that there is actually no other hatch out there that will come close.

Just going by numbers alone, Punto Abarth is actually in the league of Laura/Octavia TSI

Last edited by Vik0728 : 9th October 2015 at 12:13.
Vik0728 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 13:06   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

and the

Just going by numbers alone, Punto Abarth is actually in the league of Laura/Octavia TSI
I am seeing a lot of Polo GT TSI these days. It would be interesting to see how many Punto Abarths can I see on the road from next year. I hope the market buys enough of these "special" hatchbacks and keep manufacturers interested in giving us practical and powerful hatchbacks.

Only time will tell how many can use this as their daily drive.

OT

For an enthusiast Abarth Punto has enough juice to keep him happy on
highways.

Atleast for me, the Punto and Lineas driving postion is very uncomfortable. I really hope Fiat fixes these ergonomic issues (though I have heard nothing has changed).
Old 9th October 2015, 17:32   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Atleast for me, the Punto and Lineas driving postion is very uncomfortable. I really hope Fiat fixes these ergonomic issues (though I have heard nothing has changed).

I enjoyed the driving position for 5 years it may be related to personal physique as I found the lower spine support the best, steering to seat at its lowest point, perfect.

and for short drivers steering to seat at its highest point may even allow one to see the front bumper hahaha

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th October 2015 at 17:52. Reason: Fixed quote tags
Old 9th October 2015, 18:56   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post

I enjoyed the driving position for 5 years it may be related to personal physique as I found the lower spine support the best, steering to seat at its lowest point, perfect.

and for short drivers steering to seat at its highest point may even allow one to see the front bumper hahaha
I agree.. Been driving the linea (2009 Emotion) for 5 years now and I have to agree that if one takes enough time to adjust the seat according to one's height then one can get a commanding view of the road. I love the steering wheel and the clutch (despite long travel... it's a matter of getting used to, it's not a racecar) Only quibble is with the gearshift itself.. (but then again other members have mentioned this..)

Hopefully the Abarth Punto will have enough adjustment options to find the most comfortable/preferred driving position.
Old 9th October 2015, 19:26   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

and the

Link

Snapshot:

Attachment 1424935

IMO Punto Abarth cannot be pitted against GT TSI, barring the fact that there is actually no other hatch out there that will come close.

Whats with the ground clearance. 155 MM seems too low.
Old 9th October 2015, 19:50   #431
BHPian

Vik, thanks for the stat comparison. Looks so very darn tempting.

Is there any view of the hp vs. weight comparison. That would be a more true measure of at least lower gear performance.
Old 9th October 2015, 20:00   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
155 mm with stiffer suspension setup should not cause much of a concern. Earlier the higher ground clearance was a problem, now 155 mm ground clearance will turn out to be a problem
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 20:04   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
155 mm with stiffer suspension setup should not cause much of a concern. Earlier the higher ground clearance was a problem, now 155 mm ground clearance will turn out to be a problem
You have mistaken, since i was not clear in my comments. I would be happy with 155 mm GC for the sporty feel of it. I was just doubtful if the information was authentic. All i heard was the GC was reduced to a similar GC of the 2009 batches. But if its 155, its time to celebrate !

And if i am not wrong, the 2009 batch had a 165 mm GC.
Rubbertramps is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 20:11   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You have mistaken, since i was not clear in my comments. I would be happy with 155 mm GC for the sporty feel of it. I was just doubtful if the information was authentic. All i heard was the GC was reduced to a similar GC of the 2009 batches. But if its 155, its time to celebrate !

And if i am not wrong, the 2009 batch had a 165 mm GC.
The pre GC facelift ones had 171 mm for diesel and 173 mm for petrol but the suspension was much softer making it scrape due to lengthy front over hangs.

It should not be a concern on the Punto Evo Abarth.
Old 10th October 2015, 12:27   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey Rubbertramps I know you were not arguing or bashing FIAT for this, but isn't this what we all enthusiasts always wanted?

A low slung, tarmac burning hot hatch which was AFFORDABLE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

Is there any view of the hp vs. weight comparison. That would be a more true measure of at least lower gear performance.
Hey Mad Max, I am only using some miscellaneous source for the numbers on FIAT EVO Abarth here, nevertheless here is what it may look like:

Punto EVO Abarth

Kerb Weight - 1185 kg

Engine Output - 145 bhp

Power to Weight ratio - 122.4

Torque - 212 NM

Torque to Weight ratio - 178.9

Polo GT TSi

Kerb Weight - 1140 kg

Engine Output - 105 bhp

Power to Weight ratio - 92.1

Torque - 175 NM

Torque to Weight ratio - 154

Whichever way one looks at this, GT TSI is no match for this Italian Scorpion . Going only by the numbers, I will even go so far to say that even a Brilliant driver in a GT TSI may find it hard to beat an Amateur driver in a Punto EVO Abarth in a straight line drag.

BUT, and that is a real "Big BUT", if FIAT messes up with the gearbox on the final version, we may have to re-look at these stats.

P.S - With an astounding 0-100km/hr time of 8.8secs, I am very confident that FIAT has conquered the notchy Gearbox on EVO Abarth.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks