Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2015, 22:31   #31
BHPian

re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Can't wait enough for this launch and the subsequent review on team bhp.
By the way, I was passing in front of the Fiat Caffe showroom in Domlur, Bangalore. A big Abarth logo was displayed below the Fiat logo.

Couldn't make out of there were any display cars. Looked very cool. Also a reminder that the Abarth launch is very close.
Old 10th August 2015, 23:26   #32
BHPian

So my ageing Linea was due for an upgrade, and what better car to upgrade it with other than this!!

While others may complain about service and spare problems, luckily that has never been an issue for me in Mumbai (have had 3 fiat cars: Palio, Adventure and now a Linea). Since this car shares components with the 'normal' Punto, spares should be cheap as ever. It might be surprising for some, but it is cheaper to maintain a Linea compared to a Ritz!

However, I do have some pain points about this car:
  1. No navigation! Come on Fiat, its 2015.
  2. No driver's armrest especially considering the Linea has one, so it's not like they have to invest in new supplies. (Yes it is an enthusiasts cars, but it also a fast everyday car).
  3. That car looks like its on stilts. Well, an enthusiast's car NEEDS to be low. As mentioned before on this thread, the original ride-height of the punto/linea gave it a very good stance. It was designed that way. And it wasn't so low as to be annoying, it just scraped sometimes. I think this car's owner can live with that low'ish ground clearance.
  4. I would suggest they also launch an 'option pack' with tons of goodies (which competitors in the price range, like the i20, have). If that is reasonably priced around the 12L mark with the performance level, it would be sweet.
jalsa777 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 23:28   #33
BHPian

Anyone spoken to Pete, or any other expert tuner.

In an era when A45 Amg's, golf's are tuning out close to 400 bhp, it would be nice if we could sneak out 30 - 40 more bhp. The Punto is by no means a light hatch. Shaving off a couple of seconds, with better tyres could be icing on the cake?

All in all, can't wait.

- Nucliomaniac

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th August 2015 at 09:58. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
Nucliomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 08:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Now here is a Fiat that really makes me think if I should sell my current car and go for this! Fiat India is finally waking up?

They could have gone for matte black or carbon-fiber finish in place of the Chrome inserts to keep in line with the positioning of the car. Also lower suspension would have made it to look hot.

I also hope they have put in a fast, short throw gear box that the Punto's steering always deserved for company !
Old 11th August 2015, 09:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

That matte-grey looks nice and it will look wicked if Fiat really loses all that unnecessary chrome!! What about the safety kit? Any change except for the all round disc brakes?
Old 11th August 2015, 10:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Spoke with Vinu of petes. Waiting to get hands on one to explore. 20-30 bhp hike wont be an issue at all. But suspension, Brakes etc has to be upgraded. This is one killer product. Sid was it that the invitees were not allowed to drive? But i feel it should have been allowed to give a right feedback to public.
ram_hyundai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 11:13   #37
BHPian

Both the black and the grey colours look wicked, though the orange abarth decal at the back of the grey one kinda looks a little cheap.

I have been driving around my 1.3 MJD punto for almost 5 years and was desperate to move up to a more powerful engine, Fiat has announced the car at just the right time for me. I was contemplating between the GT Tsi/ Vento Tsi or a used Laura tsi but now I am totally gonna go for this baby. Lets hope Fiat doesn't pull a Suzuki or a Hyundai on us when it comes to pricing.
Old 11th August 2015, 15:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

So the Punto Abarth would debut by Diwali as per the new CEO of FCA India. I hope it would be priced close to GT TSI and we have 2 good cars for us enthusiasts
Old 12th August 2015, 09:25   #39
BHPian

Wow! Awesome job Fiat! Thank you sidindica for the thread. This could be the true hot hatch we Indians were waiting for ages. 145 bhp in a car this small! Should be a hoot to drive. Can't wait for the torque figures and a T-bhp full review. I for one, loved the black with blood red decals. And those Abarth logos, and scorpion alloys! Fantabulous looking machine!

Yet some gripes remain,
- the exhaust looks tired and ready to faint in an otherwise race-ready car.
- the wheel well gaps(can be solved with a pair of larger tires, I hope)
- Anyway Fiat could make the engine sound a bit more sporty? Some throaty growl would be sufficient

With the proposed VW Polo GTI doing test rounds as well, this segment is going to heat up soon. Come on Fiat! Give us some mouth-watering prices!

A bit OT, but I would love to see Fiat opening some Abarth tuning stations where customers can have manufacturer warrantied upgrades and performance mods. This is a reasonably niche segment we're talking here. Why not go the full distance and create your own segment?! You listening Fiat India?
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 11:43   #40
BHPian

Only question I have is, Can we upgrade Linea Tjet engine also to this performance? It will be a great upgrade.
Old 12th August 2015, 12:50   #41
BHPian

Exciting times ahead for the enthusiasists
Looks like the beginning of a whole new "sport hatchback" segment. Would love to see some effort from Ford(maybe a Focus) , Chevrolet( a la SRV). Wishful thinking huh!!
BopsKA12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 13:08   #42
BHPian

I had said this earlier in another FIAT thread and I reiterate once again. FIAT can increase their sales simply by offering good exchange deals for current FIAT owners.

First of all we, FIAT owners are an endangered lot and our cars have very poor resale. Also, having driven FIATs and being loyalists, we don't mind upgrading/replacing within the FIAT family

I for one am ready to trade in my Linea MJD to New Linea T-Jet or Punto Abarth. Any one listening?
octane_100 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 18:35   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Spoke with Vinu of petes. Waiting to get hands on one to explore. 20-30 bhp hike wont be an issue at all. But suspension, Brakes etc has to be upgraded. This is one killer product. Sid was it that the invitees were not allowed to drive? But i feel it should have been allowed to give a right feedback to public.
I agree.

My sense on the language used by the reviewers was that, ... ummmm it wasn't as fast as we would have liked.

The indian consumer is evolving fast. A few more bhp, an under 7 second 0-100 time, and now we re talking.

- Nucliomaniac
Old 12th August 2015, 23:19   #44
BHPian

Their are announcements and then their is a breaking news. To me this beauty of a car is a big happy moment. The only thought of Abarth becoming reality is itself enough to give me sleepless nights till its finally launched. A 150 Bhp magic under this super cool chassis which is God tuned is actually a feast for any enthusiast and for Indians especially. Let me tell you all one thing that i am in absolute love with my Punto 75 BHp for all it does and seeing an Abarth, i just feel its going to be a dream come true if its launched with a sensible price. God knows how will i resist till october but all i know is, I love Fiat for their ideology and understanding the need of an enthusiast who actually wants sheer driving pleasure from the vehicle, sans the gizmos and touchscreen loaded cars which sells merely on the no. of cheap gizmos they have. No offence but i feel, a car should first be a car and then anything else and for that matter, a big hug to Fiat. Kudos.
NST440 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 18:20   #45
BHPian

Guys, frankly speaking i'm blown away with the kind of looks the FIAT is ready to launch the Abarth brand with. And not only looks, the power and the upgrades on offer compared to Evo is more than welcome. Why I say this is because these looks are appreciated (Eyes of beholder ) by auto enthusiast's in forums like these. But to an average citizen of India, it's would be too much "Shosha(show-off)" than anything else. He would still prefer, as someone said "light match boxes" compared to the driving pleasure we seek behind the wheels.

Although this forum is quite huge, but the demand coming out for purchasing this Fiat would not be more than 500-1000 at the max. After those numbers, it would be our average citizen of India who would write the numbers on the wall and unfortunately, I doubt this will go down well with the average Indian consumer. The numbers need to be there month after month in Sales charts.

I would be happy to be proven wrong but FIAT need good numbers if it were to survive in this part of the region.

Given an option to upgrade/exchange my current Fiat(linea), I will go for the upgrade !!

Best of luck FIAT !!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed