Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2015, 20:59   #751
BHPian

Re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Did a TD of Abarth Punto today afternoon [non-peak hour chosen specifically for this TD] and I am still ear to ear!!

Boy oh Boy, this thing is seriously quick and pushes you back in your seat the moment you put your foot down. Its just too addictive.

"The steering wheel isn't just for steering. It's for holding on" Can vouch for this. Slotted it in first gear on a straight empty road and floored the pedal and had a heart in mouth moment when I delayed getting back my left hand back onto the steering wheel. There is so much power being delivered that you better hold the steering tight for you to control the car than the car controlling you.

I couldn't perceive any turbo lag and seems there is power in every gear. Was able to take off from 30 to close to triple digit in 4th gear.

Braking is worth mentioning. Checked IRVM, both the ORVM's for any tailgating vehicles and with none, slammed the brakes while doing some good spirited speed. It held a straight line with no fuss or screeching. As a bonus got to check the seat belt pretensioners and load limiting system in action on the SA in the passenger seat. Poor chap was thrown off guard with my braking

All in all, cheers and kudos to FIAT for bringing this hatch. As Uncle Ben said, "With Great Power comes Great responsibility", I hope buyers follow it to the core since there is so much power available.
manas_270 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 21:30   #752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas_270 View Post
Did a TD of Abarth Punto today afternoon [non-peak hour chosen specifically for this TD] and I am still ear to ear!!

Boy oh Boy, this thing is seriously quick and pushes you back in your seat the moment you put your foot down. Its just too addictive.

"The steering wheel isn't just for steering. It's for holding on" Can vouch for this. Slotted it in first gear on a straight empty road and floored the pedal and had a heart in mouth moment when I delayed getting back my left hand back onto the steering wheel. There is so much power being delivered that you better hold the steering tight for you to control the car than the car controlling you.

I couldn't perceive any turbo lag and seems there is power in every gear. Was able to take off from 30 to close to triple digit in 4th gear.

Braking is worth mentioning. Checked IRVM, both the ORVM's for any tailgating vehicles and with none, slammed the brakes while doing some good spirited speed. It held a straight line with no fuss or screeching. As a bonus got to check the seat belt pretensioners and load limiting system in action on the SA in the passenger seat. Poor chap was thrown off guard with my braking

All in all, cheers and kudos to FIAT for bringing this hatch. As Uncle Ben said, "With Great Power comes Great responsibility", I hope buyers follow it to the core since there is so much power available.

A zillion thanks to FIAT for taking the risk to bring a niche product in this country where projector headlamps, DRL's and ORVM blinkers are the talk of the town !

A billion thanks for bringing it as promised. We know the stories about JEEP.

A million thanks for pricing it under a million bucks.

Much have been said about the pros and cons about the vehicle. I am just loving the TD experience that the folks write here. And for the first time in a long long time, the positives of the vehicle outweighs the negatives so far.

Good job FIAT
Rubbertramps is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 21:34   #753
BHPian

Thank you guys for the wishes. I got some PM's too. Thank you really. Makes the car feel so much more special. I might be sounding like a kid right now but my excitement knows no bound right now. And yes, the stinger is going to be black .

Few things that I wanted to share:
  • 9.95 Lakhs ex-showroom is pan India price.
  • There has been a total of just three bookings in Tri-City (four now with mine). A single booking in Chandigarh and two in Mohali, mine is the third.
  • Abarth Punto will be sold through select dealers.
  • The list of selected dealers will be confirmed by Fiat on 24'th.
  • Selected dealers will be based on city tier level and not the number of bookings. There will be only one selected dealer per region.
  • Interested customers have the option of either going to the selected Abarth Punto dealers or by asking their dealer to bill their car from a selected Abarth Punto dealer if that dealer is not a selected Abarth Punto dealer.

Last edited by firstguri : 21st October 2015 at 21:41. Reason: Adding content.
firstguri is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 21:40   #754
BHPian

Happy Birthday Fiat, hope you have a great year.
Old 21st October 2015, 22:02   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome car. I am waiting for a TD myself. I got tired of waiting for the Abarth and got a Linea last month

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
Thank you guys for the wishes.
Congrats firstguri. Wish you many miles and smiles with the car.

Last edited by nikhil0405 : 21st October 2015 at 22:06.
nikhil0405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 22:09   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Sorry, I don't. You just basically got habituated to both. You got used to the seating and steering position just as you got used to the extra long clutch travel and rubbery long throw shifts.
Yes, when it comes to body posture, every body needs to get used to any setup. There are very few cars/Chairs/cots/pillows/toilets which feel spot on the very first time you step in. I feel the old i20 & Ertiga seating odd, whereas my friend who owns both finds my Liva and Punto odd.

Quote:
I'm sure a bunch of people are going to defend Fiat even if they did that.
I ain't part of that bunch, I bought the Punto over the Swift ZDI primarily due to the juicy discounts and partly because of the better build. I will defend it where it deserves and criticize it equally on its flaws.

Quote:

Are you suggesting the CBR is also flawless? Again you just got used to the pain. No pun intended. But then, I'm not a biker, but have couple of biker friends who wouldn't pick a CBR for a lot of reasons, but would rather ride an R15 or a D200 instead. But we are straying a lot here from topic.
That way no vehicle is flawless.t. I wouldn't touch the R15 or the Duke due to its ergo, which doesn't suit me. I have done a Ekm - Blr run in 9 hours in the CBR without feeling a pinch, for 'me' its seating is flawless.

Quote:
You are just putting what I said, in different words. That's all I wanted to convey. The seating in a Punto and Linea is downright weird. Calling it "spot-on", "perfect" etc. is even weirder. And people who found it spot-on from day one, hat's off, and good for you'll.

As much as I adore the handling and steering feedback and almost zero body roll of the Punto, I detest the seating position, the gear shifts and the long clutch. And from the preliminary reports that have come out, Fiat seems to have made it more acceptable in the Abarth, and that's a great news for all.

I've been ignoring the fanboy rants for some time now and am going to do the same lest the topic diverts and shifts focus from the hot Scorpion. Peace out!
No! I am not echoing your thoughts. Please have your opinion, if you find something wrong or ill made, I don't have any issues with that. But you finding my 'opinion' weird is unacceptable. It seems like you cant have an alternate view around here!

Last edited by anand.shankar : 21st October 2015 at 22:13.
anand.shankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 22:14   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys for the wishes. I got some PM's too. Thank you really. Makes the car feel so much more special. I might be sounding like a kid right now but my excitement knows no bound right now. And yes, the stinger is going to be black .
Congrats firstguri!! Missed your post about booking the car. I am sure it will keep you grinning for a long time to come. Completely understand your feelings about being like a kid, since if I who just did a TD feel so, no wonder a guy who booked it, the excitement would be at a different level. Waiting for your ownership report.
The SA mentioned about 8 bookings done here in Hyderabad and all of them wanted Black it seems IIRC. The TD vehicle they have is the white one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil0405 View Post
Awesome car. I am waiting for a TD myself. I got tired of waiting for the Abarth and got a Linea last month
Oopsie. Didn't the Fiat folks let you know about the impending launch? But still go ahead with the TD. In fact, I believe every BHPian should TD it just to experience it

Last edited by manas_270 : 21st October 2015 at 22:19. Reason: Added details about booking
manas_270 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 22:25   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Oopsie. Didn't the Fiat folks let you know about the impending launch? But still go ahead with the TD. In fact, I believe every BHPian should TD it just to experience it
Believe me, the folks at the Fiat showrooms have no idea about the impending launches. Moreover, they might have be interested in a quick sale of the Linea so might not have disclosed the launch date of Abarth. I had read that the car will be launched during the festive season, but knowing Fiat, I was sure that they would delay. They have surprised me now.
Old 21st October 2015, 22:35   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Makes the car feel so much more special. I might be sounding like a kid right now but my excitement knows no bound right now.
Congratulations firstguri.
Sounding like a kid? We have witnessed people booking Marutis, Hondas etc without test driving but few petrolheads like you would dare to book a true hot hatch from the high seas

Will be looking forward to your ownership report.

Last edited by S.MJet : 21st October 2015 at 22:36.
S.MJet is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 01:33   #760
BHPian

I'm sorry guys, but I think I'm missing something here. So what am I paying 10L+ for in a hatchback. The engine and BHP, is that it? There is nothing else that tells this car apart from the punto that no one wants to buy. Ok, so there are a few logos replaced, and a tab bit of red color thrown in as well. I guess a DIY and 2 hours later we can have that sorted on a regular Punto as well. This is still a dull looking car, Italian design or not. 145BHP isn't ground breaking, maybe this thing was admirable during her days, whenever it was launched abroad(pardon me but fiat and I don't see eye to eye). I don't see why I would want to plonk 10L+ in a plain jane looking dull car with 145BHP and nothing else to drive home a point about it's road presence. Same story another day, how many enthusiasts out there are going to buy this?

And then we have some mad as hell drivers in New Delhi, that drive like maniacs. I just pray none of them buys this, hate to see someone getting hurt walking on the street when an irresponsible guy is driving this. Any way I don't think this ruffled even a feather in my hat. And I'm sure this ain't going to ruffle any in the upcoming sales figures at end of the year.
iFuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 02:50   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFuel View Post
145BHP isn't ground breaking
I have a question for you and not because I've taken any offence in your post since I'm going to be owning one soon. To each his own is what I would say. You probably will make good friends with my dad as he gave me a big piece of his mind after the booking and his sentiments pretty much echo yours . The question:

In a country where hatchbacks come with 74-90 bhp power with one making 103, how is 145 bhp not ground breaking by Indian automotive standards; and if it isn't then what is?

Last edited by firstguri : 22nd October 2015 at 02:54.
firstguri is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 03:05   #762
BHPian

I hoped they'd price it aggressively atleast in the beginning to get some serious (meaningful) numbers.

Fiat ASC's all over the country need to earn better to stay afloat.

Groundbreaking, sure, but the brand isn't in the situation where people would trust them with a premium price tag. Just my opinion about the market.

Hope they offer better extended warranty too.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 05:09   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry guys, but I think I'm missing something here. So what am I paying 10L+ for in a hatchback.
And your point is? Since you and FIAT don't see eye to eye, they shouldn't launch this? Or, since you and FIAT don't see eye to eye, they don't deserve credit for anything good they do? Sorry mate if I sound a bit harsh - I just don't get the point you are trying to convey.

For years, we have been waiting for a hatch which offerd performance at affordable price point - now FIAT have given us a car which is an enthusiasts wet dream, and if you don't get what exactly the car is, then sorry mate - may be this thread is not for you.

May I suggest you take a TD before writing off the car completely?

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 05:15   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
I hoped they'd price it aggressively atleast in the beginning to get some serious (meaningful) numbers.

Fiat ASC's all over the country need to earn better to stay afloat.

Groundbreaking, sure, but the brand isn't in the situation where people would trust them with a premium price tag. Just my opinion about the market.

Hope they offer better extended warranty too.
Another Blanket Statement
Off all the vehicles i own now and owned in the past, that includes a Hyundai.
Its the Fiat aftersales that has impressed me the most, never ever, i have had an issue with them, be it service or parts.
Just that you might have had a bad experience, does not mean all centers are bad.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 22nd October 2015 at 05:16.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 06:03   #765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry guys, but I think I'm missing something here. .
Not just "something". You are missing it completely !!! Quite obviously, this car doesnt blow your horn ..

Quote:
You probably will make good friends with my dad as he gave me a big piece of his mind after the booking and his sentiments pretty much echo yours .

Btw, even your post left me smiling. I wish I could have one of these beauties. !
condor is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks