Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2015, 08:54   #61
BHPian

re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

The black Abarth Punto looks awesome. Fiat has no dealership in my town (the closest dealer is in Vijayawada) however they do have a authorized Fiat service station in my town . Thats all i need to know, i cant wait for the launch of this beast. Im gonna be selling my Gt Tsi and bringing this baby home in January. Which enthusiast can say no to a 145 bhp manual hatchback?
Old 18th August 2015, 18:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

some info from a reasonably reliable wandering birdie :

power output (expected) around : 146Ps
torque output (expected) around : 210-215Nm
Sub 10 sec 0-100 kmph standing start expected. close to 9.xx, if not slightly lower

no word on ARAI certified fuel economy, but birdie "guess"-timates around 15.5-16kmpl.

Torque i feel is a bit on the conservative side? T-Jet Linea develops around 207Nm-ish right? From 114Ps. Maybe a figure of around 225-230Nm would have been ideal for Abarth Punto. But i guess, this is more than enough to make this Italian fleet footed.

15-16kmpl certified mileage, if true, is not bad from 145Ps. I guess one can coax 9-10kmpl with reasonable use of AC in city.

October launch

Last edited by arjab : 18th August 2015 at 18:51.
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 22:41   #63
BHPian

The fuel efficiency seems very optimistic. Let's hope it's true. A nice ratio gear box should see sub 9's easily. The quoted 0-100 timing of 9.xx doesn't seem great. The second generation accord 2.4 manual does a sub 10 sec as per reviews.
Now that they have a stonker of an engine; Hope fiat doesn't mess up a beautifully handling car with their sloppy gearbox.
Old 19th August 2015, 14:27   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post

Torque i feel is a bit on the conservative side? T-Jet Linea develops around 207Nm-ish right? From 114Ps. Maybe a figure of around 225-230Nm would have been ideal for Abarth Punto. But i guess, this is more than enough to make this Italian fleet footed.
Well it seems more emphasis has been placed on power. Anyway, with Abarth 595 having 230 NM of torque with around 160 PS power, 210-215 NM torque for 145 Bhp sounds to be in tune. Besides I am sure that Fiat would have done a little bit of tuning for FE for Abarth Punto and not for an all out torque and Bhp figures. Whatever be the point, I am expecting a 'back in your seat' experience from Abarth Punto. Whatever torque or Bhp figures Fiat tunes the engine to, I just hope that it gives the kick. And I also wish for a eight point something seconds 0-100 run. Even if it affects the FE! But that's just me.
Old 19th August 2015, 20:57   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
Besides I am sure that Fiat would have done a little bit of tuning for FE for Abarth Punto and not for an all out torque and Bhp figures.
I pray and hope they don't. I'd put maximum torque and power ahead of FE for sure. You don't buy an Evo Abarth for FE. For that, get a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
A nice ratio gear box should see sub 9's easily.
I doubt if there is any change at all with the gearbox or ratios. I do hope the car is lowered and the suspension made a little stiffer. The images don't suggest that the car is sitting lower.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 19th August 2015 at 21:01.
Old 20th August 2015, 09:56   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post

The fuel efficiency seems very optimistic. Let's hope it's true.

The quoted 0-100 timing of 9.xx doesn't seem great. The second generation accord 2.4 manual does a sub 10 sec as per reviews.
+1 to your mileage apprehensions differential.
Sounds too good considering the fact that the same engine under much lesser state of tune has been criticized extensively for poor mileage !!

Also, sub 10 sec run to 100 does not sound like blisteringly quick as the GT does it with much lesser power and torque!!
I hope, Fiat are just being humble about the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post

Whatever torque or Bhp figures Fiat tunes the engine to, I just hope that it gives the kick. And I also wish for a eight point something seconds 0-100 run.
I agree firstguri and I think we all can surely expect some scintillating thrust feeling every time we get to floor the throttle on this Abarth !!

The only thing I hope is that Fiat have used high strength light weight materials to conserve the bulk.

All this performance and torque figures will add up to nothing if the Punto Abarth ends up weighing as much or more than the Linea T-Jet!!
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 10:56   #67
BANNED

Cant they do it the tata way ? Have buttons for 2 different maps. Press Eco for normal fuel efficiency map and press Sport to bring out the Tjet monster....!!!
rana_kirti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 11:15   #68
BHPian

The ARAI fuel efficiency figures are not related to actual fuel efficiency, so the quoted figure of 15-16 kmpl could be correct if driven as per ARAI norms. However, one doesn't buy an Abarth to pussy foot on the roads .
thesilentone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 12:25   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

The only thing I hope is that Fiat have used high strength light weight materials to conserve the bulk.

All this performance and torque figures will add up to nothing if the Punto Abarth ends up weighing as much or more than the Linea T-Jet!!

Your hope may come true only when the next gen Punto arrives. The reason being, the Abarth Punto is nothing but the Punto Evo with the TJet and some minute changes on the exterior and Interior.
Tweaking the structure would result in lot of cost addition in the form of development and dies. FIAT would save all the cash for development, for the next generation models when they arrive. However, with so much power at hand I don't think it's going to be a Bull trying pulling a locomotive.
Old 21st August 2015, 07:46   #70
BHPian

Courtesy : http://overdrive.in/reviews/exclusiv...-drive-review/

I've pasted only excerpts here. Most of you must've read the link by now

But what’s it like to drive?
First off, this is not an exciting sounding car, so when you turn the key to the starter motor, you don’t hear a roar from the single tail can. It’s almost as if the NVH guys decided to strangle the Punto Evo Abarth as much as they could and it’d be a real pity if the boffins at marketing ever came up with a fuel efficiency slogan for this car.

So at ignition, you really don’t get a sense of the kind of power that’s lurking beneath. However, slip into first gear and release the clutch, and you instantly latch onto the torque that steps in. This is a 5-speed manual transmission so the ratios are closer and feel tuned to maximise the benefits of those 145 horses. So rather than lurch forward, you comfortably ease into a canter down pit lane.

At pit exit, I buried the throttle pedal into the floorboards and the linearity and agility shock me. This is not the Abarth 595 Competizione, it’s something better!
The Punto Evo Abarth screams forward in immediacy that has belied all its years of existence in our markets. The front 195/55 section 16” rubber screams as it under steers mildly into C1 but it holds beautifully and charges uphill with consummate ease onto the sharp hairpin that leads to the big long straight at the BIC.

Down the main straight, the Punto Evo Abarth builds speed easily, unlike the Abarth 595 Competizione, its manual transmission is a huge benefit over the automated manual in the 595.
rav11stars is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 09:05   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post

Courtesy : http://overdrive.in/reviews/exclusiv...-drive-review/

I've pasted only excerpts here.
Awesome report you shared rav11stars and what a read it was !!

But What really dropped my lower jaw was this:

"After all, the 145PS hatch isn’t the only car in the pipeline, in the near future there is a 180PS Punto on the cards as well."

Last edited by Vik0728 : 21st August 2015 at 09:08.
Vik0728 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 09:24   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
some info from a reasonably reliable wandering birdie :

power output (expected) around : 146Ps
torque output (expected) around : 210-215Nm
Sub 10 sec 0-100 kmph standing start expected. close to 9.xx, if not slightly lower

no word on ARAI certified fuel economy, but birdie "guess"-timates around 15.5-16kmpl.

15-16kmpl certified mileage, if true, is not bad from 145Ps. I guess one can coax 9-10kmpl with reasonable use of AC in city.

October launch
Yup, true about torque apart. I seriously doubt about those FE figures and this part should not be discussed ( especially within city!).

First thing to do is get a wider tyre.
Old 21st August 2015, 09:53   #73
BHPian

Heard the news that EVO Abarth may be launched in just two variants in the range of 9 - 9.75 Lakhs ex-showroom.
Old 21st August 2015, 10:14   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
"... in the near future there is a 180PS Punto on the cards as well."
Simply take it this way. If ever GTI is launched, then Evo Abarth should not be get cornered. GTI will be in DSG avatar for sure. Just imagine Evo Abarth esseesse with 180PS and stick shift. OMG! Pants on fire already.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 21st August 2015, 10:30   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Simply take it this way. If ever GTI is launched, then Evo Abarth should not be get cornered. GTI will be in DSG avatar for sure. Just imagine Evo Abarth esseesse with 180PS and stick shift. OMG! Pants on fire already.

Cheers!

Vinu
I'm surprised FIAT India started thinking so much. Looks like the new management means business. Can already some few positive signs that FIAT is trying to concentrate on the enthusiasts, rather than be caught mid way between the mass market and enthusiast market.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks