Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2015, 10:43   #76
BHPian

re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm surprised FIAT India started thinking so much. Looks like the new management means business. Can already some few positive signs that FIAT is trying to concentrate on the enthusiasts, rather than be caught mid way between the mass market and enthusiast market.
Check this interview of Kevin Flynn. He's all bristling with enthusiasm. Not sure of India, but looks like good times are in for FIAT India
Only that the management here must be given a free hand.

http://auto.ndtv.com/motorheads-tv-s...n-flynn-378745

The launch of the 595 at BIC and showcasing a prototype with some even getting to drive it : It looks like FIAT is trying to show it's unlike any other automobile company.

Last edited by rav11stars : 21st August 2015 at 10:44.
Old 21st August 2015, 11:27   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
From the link the best the sentence would be this,

"Even the turn in feels sharp focused and precise on the steering wheel. The same weight that I’d complained about in the city is providing so much more character to the Punto Evo Abarth on the racetrack"

This is what will define the Sporty status of the car. A nicely responding steering that may seem heavy to use in city traffic but provide amazing feedback in twisties. That's the kind of steering I'm used to in my 330i and I just wish to see some (if not all) of that in the Punto Abarth. Can't wait Can't wait!
haldar_siliguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 12:39   #78
BHPian

Is there any plan to launch the regular Punto Evo/Avventura with the standard T-JET engine found in Linea?

Couple of touches like Red coloured seat belts and red upholstery touches will add more appeal. (FIAT had this in some of the 'R' variants of their popular models in Brazil) I dont believe the cost would be significant.
Old 22nd August 2015, 19:45   #79
BHPian

Autocar India has also come up with its first drive of Abarth Punto Evo. 0-100 in 9.54s.

Some bits,

Quote:
Let’s talk numbers first. With the front wheels scrabbling to put all the power and torque down, the Abarth rockets to 100kph in 9.54 seconds making it the first mainstream hatchback to crack the 10-second barrier. With the turbo spinning strongly, there’s no let up in power especially in the short, lower gears.
Quote:
You don’t need to constantly shift which is just as well because the gearshift is the weak link in the powertrain. It doesn’t feel very precise and the long throw doesn’t encourage you to flick from one cog to another.
Quote:
The Abarth’s suspension set-up is stiffer than the standard Punto’s to better cope with the increase in power and this is quite obvious in the way it rides. The reworked spring and damper ratings give it a firm edge over uneven surfaces but it doesn’t feel harsh in the least.
Source
theredliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 19:54   #80
MSC
BHPian

145 bhp hatch.
That is going to be a rocket. The design of alloy wheels is simply top class.
The only thing remaining now is a decent price tag and more importantly proper support from FIAT.
MSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 12:57   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Yup, true about torque apart. I seriously doubt about those FE figures and this part should not be discussed ( especially within city!).
First thing to do is get a wider tyre.
Rechecked with Birdie. Says its true as the figs been obtained with AC off and at constant speed. And you are right, one should not discuss FE at all, at least w.r.t this car! One should not buy a Italian tigress ( are there tigers in Italy? )and then feed it peanuts!!
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 18:02   #82
BHPian

ACI posted their review of the Abarth Punto, here are some excerpts, specs & pictures.

Hormazd Sorabjee - Autocar India

Quote:
Let’s talk numbers first. With the front wheels scrabbling to put all the power and torque down, the Abarth rockets to 100kph in 9.54 seconds making it the first mainstream hatchback to crack the 10-second barrier. With the turbo spinning strongly, there’s no let up in power especially in the short, lower gears. The 6,500rpm rev limit comes up in no time and each upshift puts you smack in the meat of the powerband. Because you don’t need to rev the guts out of this engine, the Abarth, riding on a massive wave of torque, feels deceptively quick.
Quote:
The Abarth’s suspension set-up is stiffer than the standard Punto’s to better cope with the increase in power and this is quite obvious in the way it rides. The reworked spring and damper ratings give it a firm edge over uneven surfaces but it doesn’t feel harsh in the least. So good is the original Punto’s long-travel suspension that even the sportier Abarth with its low-profile tyres cope well over sharp edges and potholes.
Quote:
Put your foot down and there’s a strong surge in any gear. You don’t need to constantly shift which is just as well because the gearshift is the weak link in the powertrain.
Quote:
The best bit of the about the Punto remains the steering. It’s accurate, full of feel and delightfully quick off the straight ahead position. Despite its high kerb weight, the Abarth Punto changes direction with far more eagerness than lighter hatchbacks and, with strong turbo power to back it, it would be an absolutely blast on a mountain road.
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20150822125022_p3.jpg  

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20150822125025_p2.jpg  

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20150822125033_p7.jpg  

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20150822125119_p13.jpg  

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20150822125030_p9.jpg  

Attached Images

tjacob is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 14:45   #83
BHPian

How to solve the wheel-arch gap issue

Everyone (me included) is complaining about how she has that huge gap between the wheels and the arches.

To be fair to FIAT, they have indeed tried to lower her, as mentioned by Autocar:
Quote:
Fiat says it’s already dropped the ride height by a massive 30mm to 155mm and reducing it further would make the underbody vulnerable on our roads
Reduce the ground clearance (GC) further and people will be scrapping all over our lovely roads (especially in smaller towns) and then she will just get bad publicity.

One way to solve this issue is to offer two types of dampers, normal GC and low GC. That keeps everyone happy. Now before the production guys blast me off, let me explain how they could go about doing this. They have two options:
1. Offer two variants directly from the factory. The production ratio would be difficult to guess at first, but soon they will know.
2. Make a standard car at the factory. But, at showroom level offer the option to swap dampers.

The first option is ideal for customer, but a head ache for the production line. The second option is a good compromise. Swapping dampers and springs isn't a difficult job and the service centres should be equipped to do that. It wouldn't void warranty so everyone will be happy.

Yes, this would entail some additional testing and sourcing. But it is a small investment for a company like FIAT that should be willing to do anything to get those cash registers rolling again. I hope someone at FIAT is reading this
Old 24th August 2015, 15:47   #84
BHPian

Hello All,

Am a newbie and this is my first post and am sooper excited to be a Team-BHPian...

I was looking for a replacement of my DUD i20 (P) and booked the Polo TSi in July. Then came the news about REFRESHED TSi and had my booking on hold for the updates. Then came the beast "Abarth Punto" and now both my Heart and Mind are totally out of control

Hoping that the Abarth does not come a Shocker price tag and break my heart. Waiting for the launch and TD and Team-BHP review to choose my beast
PetroTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 15:53   #85
BHPian

Re: How to solve the wheel-arch gap issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
Everyone (me included) is complaining about how she has that huge gap between the wheels and the arches.

To be fair to FIAT, they have indeed tried to lower her, as mentioned by Autocar:

Reduce the ground clearance (GC) further and people will be scrapping all over our lovely roads (especially in smaller towns) and then she will just get bad publicity.

One way to solve this issue is to offer two types of dampers, normal GC and low GC. That keeps everyone happy. Now before the production guys blast me off, let me explain how they could go about doing this. They have two options:
1. Offer two variants directly from the factory. The production ratio would be difficult to guess at first, but soon they will know.
2. Make a standard car at the factory. But, at showroom level offer the option to swap dampers.

The first option is ideal for customer, but a head ache for the production line. The second option is a good compromise. Swapping dampers and springs isn't a difficult job and the service centres should be equipped to do that. It wouldn't void warranty so everyone will be happy.

Yes, this would entail some additional testing and sourcing. But it is a small investment for a company like FIAT that should be willing to do anything to get those cash registers rolling again. I hope someone at FIAT is reading this
I think there's a lot more to it than just changing the dampers.

First of all, its not the damper which affects the ride height, its the coil spring, which provides the preload in order to get the adequate ride height. So changing the damper will not consitute to any change in the ride height by itself.

Also, lowering the vehicle by this amount will compound the fatigue effects of other components in the vehicle such as suspension bushes, engine mounts etc. A manufacturer will not provide you with a lowered ride height model without changes in any of these components, unless of course the tolerance level is sufficiently high.

Overall, i think this is still a good change in ride height levels, and FIAT has done well to keep it within reason considering our Indian road conditions.
asivan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 15:56   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
ACI posted their review of the Abarth Punto, here are some excerpts, specs & pictures.

Put your foot down and there’s a strong surge in any gear. You don’t need to constantly shift which is just as well because the gearshift is the weak link in the powertrain.
I was secretly hoping Abarth would rectify this. The gearshift quality doesn't seem to be too different compared to the regular Punto. What a shame
S2!!! is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 16:29   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I was secretly hoping Abarth would rectify this. The gearshift quality doesn't seem to be too different compared to the regular Punto. What a shame
I was a bit disappointed seeing the 9.5s timing. I guess it's because of the gearbox. A sweet shifting box would probably bring the number down by atleast 1-1.5secs. Fiat, are you listening, please give it a gearbox that it deserves!
shivasuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 18:11   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Autocar India has also come up with its first drive of Abarth Punto Evo. 0-100 in 9.54s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I was a bit disappointed seeing the 9.5s timing. I guess it's because of the gearbox. A sweet shifting box would probably bring the number down by atleast 1-1.5secs. Fiat, are you listening, please give it a gearbox that it deserves!
I would second you on that. The 9.54 sec 0-100kmph timing seems quite disappointing for a 143bhp hatch. I guess the initial expectation was a sub 9 second timing.

Whats the GT Tsi sport mode timing for 0-100kmph?
Old 24th August 2015, 18:21   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I would second you on that. The 9.54 sec 0-100kmph timing seems quite disappointing for a 143bhp hatch. I guess the initial expectation was a sub 9 second timing.

Whats the GT Tsi sport mode timing for 0-100kmph?
I think the Autocar figure is around 10.3secs. Have seen different numbers, but the the fastest is the above number.

Last edited by shivasuma : 24th August 2015 at 18:33.
Old 24th August 2015, 18:47   #90
BHPian

The GT TSI makes a compelling case for itself if FIAT is going to stick with the current gearbox.
Let us hope the wide torque band helps in this aspect, else day to day city drives might be a hassle. The current rubbery gearbox of the punto has no place in a 140 + bhp abarth.
A 8.xx time would be fantastic. Plus a mildly throaty exhaust wouldn't hurt. Hope the cars driven by ACI are prototypes and FIAT tweak the few gripes in the production version.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed