Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2015, 12:27   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroTurbo View Post
If above is the case with pricing, I believe TSi would win over Abarth as people get the sheer pleasure of driving an Auto-box
"Sheer pleasure of driving an Auto box!" Sign of changing times

However, Even though the DSG gear shifts may be faster than a manual, a manual will always be my preference. I just feel more connected. A personal choice, whichever may be the car

Quote:
Not sure of others, but I personally would choose TSi over Abarth
Absolutely correct; It is a personal choice now between these two cars. Both come with their own pluses and minuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Yes, the exhaust note is very muted.
Yes. Maybe the audio in the video was not very good, but even my stock Punto 1.2 sounds better than this

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If you spend that 1.5 lakhs on your GT, albeit wisely, you could match it's performance figures to the Fiat's. (A set of Bilsteins, Tarox rotors and a remap should cost 1.5 lakhs or less.)
I feel its better that we compare the stock cars.
Being a fiat owner, I'm also a member in other Fiat forums. When the polo GTs came in the market (When the Abarth Punto was still a wish/dream), many members in those groups said that a remapped Punto could easily outrun a GT.
But seriously I wonder how many would actually take a car of their choice and get it remapped the first day with the difference amount!

Quote:
The Polo has the plusher interior and is *now* equipped well too and that makes it more of a complete package IMO. But there is still something about a Punto with Abarth badges from the factory that tugs at the heart like nothing else.
Both are very good cars for enthusiasts and we stand to gain in this competition

Polo:
+ Good DSG
+ Ergonomics better suited to many
+ Better equipped than a Punto
+ Internationally recognised
+/- Sober looks; not a head turner
- Expensive service
- Lesser Power and Torque
- Less powerful brakes

Punto:
+ Power and Torque
+ Better brakes
+ Head turner Especially in that matte grey shade
+ Handling, Steering feedback
- Lacklustre gearbox
- long clutch travel
- Brand Value (Abarth is an unknown entity for the general public and Fiat has a bad impression)
- Fit and finish especially the interior

So overall, both are closely matched and none of these 2 cars will beat the other hands down
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 12:49   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
The slotting might be an issue like the MJD but not sure about the gear ratios as bad as MJD GB.
I am not talking about gear ratios buddy, they are fine with TJet but the shift quality is too rubbery and poor and honestly this gearbox did not deserve a place in Abarth Punto :(
Drive a Tjet and then drive a Vento diesel, despite being a diesel, Vento's gearbox is miles ahead in shift quality and slickness.
Old 27th August 2015, 13:02   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Is it really bad? Never read about Linea TJet GB being very bad. It has always been the case with the MJD GB. The slotting might be an issue like the MJD but not sure about the gear ratios as bad as MJD GB.
I have driven the Tjet several times(on highwats as well as city roads) and not for once gearbox bothered me. I have a palio which also has gearbox with long throw.

The Tjet gearbox takes little more effort to operate than palio. Throws are slightly less than palio, but not definitely lot higher than short throw in newer cars. I do not find it significantly difficult to operate.

Engine is not as rev friendly as palio 1.6, its turbo unit so you dont have to rev the nuts out of it. To me that was one of the things i missed on tjet compared with palio where it just goes to redline 7300rpm without any complain.

Edit: personally i prefer the manual gearbox anyday, also people pointing out about remap on GT TSI. Didnt DSG on GT TSI has 250nm limit ?

Last edited by Rahulkool : 27th August 2015 at 13:07.
Rahulkool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 13:08   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I am not talking about gear ratios buddy, they are fine with TJet but the shift quality is too rubbery and poor and honestly this gearbox did not deserve a place in Abarth Punto :(
Drive a Tjet and then drive a Vento diesel, despite being a diesel, Vento's gearbox is miles ahead in shift quality and slickness.
I have a 2014 T-Jet and, and can honestly say it isn't that bad. Yes, it's not as precises as my 2005 swift, but its not that you can't do fast shifts if you want to. Only you can decide if it is acceptable or not by trying it out.

In my case the ride, handling, steering, etc. more than made up for the 'rubbery' gearbox.
Old 27th August 2015, 13:24   #110
BHPian

I agree with the gear shift quality of Linea versus Vento.
But to me and perhaps for many, the gear shifting is not an 'issue'.

I am saying this because I felt the overall fit, finish, quality, interior and last but not the least handling of Linea is leap apart from Vento.

I drove an Ecosport and, Figo aspire AT over the weekend. After driving them I have started to have my doubts about the tall claims of Ford's handling by their respective owners. At speed over 80 in aspire/ecosport I started to get nervous and lost confidence with EPS. It was certainly better than Verna and Swift but nowhere close to Linea.

It was a different world once I came back to my Linea.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 27th August 2015 at 13:25.
Speed Pujari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 14:29   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
I drove an Ecosport and, Figo aspire AT over the weekend. After driving them I have started to have my doubts about the tall claims of Ford's handling by their respective owner
Though it is off topic in this thread, you really can not compare a car 200mm above the ground with a sedan like Linea. Ford have also tuned the steering on Aspire and Fiesta with mass market in mind. Aspire is a budget offering and retails at a significantly lower price compared to Linea.

Compare apples to apples, drive a Ford Fiesta after Linea to understand why Ford owners crave about its handling. It is so agile and so nimble that it will run circles around a Linea the chassis and body changes directions in a snap. Drive a Figo after Punto and you will understand, Ford and Fiat both offer fantastic handling in their respective segments.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 27th August 2015 at 14:30.
coolboy007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 16:08   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
I agree with the gear shift quality of Linea versus Vento.
But to me and perhaps for many, the gear shifting is not an 'issue'.

I am saying this because I felt the overall fit, finish, quality, interior and last but not the least handling of Linea is leap apart from Vento.

I drove an Ecosport and, Figo aspire AT over the weekend. After driving them I have started to have my doubts about the tall claims of Ford's handling by their respective owners. At speed over 80 in aspire/ecosport I started to get nervous and lost confidence with EPS. It was certainly better than Verna and Swift but nowhere close to Linea.

It was a different world once I came back to my Linea.
As coolboy007 said, both the Ecosport & Aspire have been "tuned down" for the mass market unfortunately. Drive a Ford fiesta with the EPS and it's as good as the best HPS. Ideal for the city and the highway too. The fiesta with it's wheezy petrol engine actually beat the T-jet(infact the earlier one with the lower GC) in the track test. Both cars have their advantages, but unfortunately both cars flopped . Most of the car buying public still think of Ford & Fiat as they were, say, 10-15 years ago.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 20:18   #113
BHPian

Does anybody have any info on if the car has rain sensing wipers? There's no cruise control stalk so that's not there for sure. And even if it was there I would still be flooring the pedal myself.
Old 27th August 2015, 21:07   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
Does anybody have any info on if the car has rain sensing wipers? There's no cruise control stalk so that's not there for sure. And even if it was there I would still be flooring the pedal myself.
No rain sensing wipers, auto headlamps and cruise control. They are available only on Linea. The Punto Evo and Avventura misses these features.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 00:24   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
As coolboy007 said, both the Ecosport & Aspire have been "tuned down" for the mass market unfortunately. Drive a Ford fiesta with the EPS and it's as good as the best HPS. Ideal for the city and the highway too. The fiesta with it's wheezy petrol engine actually beat the T-jet(infact the earlier one with the lower GC) in the track test. Both cars have their advantages, but unfortunately both cars flopped . Most of the car buying public still think of Ford & Fiat as they were, say, 10-15 years ago.
I bet its high time for FIAT and Ford to give what the mass market demands. I wonder what that would feel like to drive !

According to me, FIATs ride and handling are its strengths. Ford's are the same too. When Ford offers a budget sedan without a good steering feedback, how long will it take for Ford to rip the same car off the ride and handling its famous for just to satisfy the mass market. In the end the difference between manufacturers lies in the expertise they are famous for.
Old 28th August 2015, 04:23   #116
BHPian

Just saw Autocar India's first drive of Abarth Punto. There's a part where Hormazd is talking about the torque and flooring the accelerator in any gear; the smile on his face says it all. Boy oh boy, if it can make him smile then I'm already smiling.
firstguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 14:28   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ford and Fiat both offer fantastic handling in their respective segments.
My pic among the current crop of best handling cars in the segment are the Ford Fiesta and Figo. I own a first edition T Jet that rides lower than the one on sale today. The car does roll when pushed hard. It is not a kind of roll that will scare you but you are aware that you reaching the limits. I've also spent a considerable amount of time in a Punto and Figo and it is the Ford that has better handling. There is one big difference between the Ford and Fiat's, which is what I feel makes the difference. It is the height and weight of the cars. Now there are two sides of it and down to what you prefer. Fords are the nimbler and faster turning of two. Fiat's ride absolutely flat and the car behaves exactly the same even when loaded. Controls on a Fiat are heavy. Not good if you want to be fast or have fun behind the wheel.

On to the gearbox, I've ended up gnashing the gearbox several times on my T Jet when I was trying to make a quick getaway. Slotting third is where it goes wrong on my car. There is no fault with my gearbox. The shift action could have been a lot better though.

Another very important part that can contribute towards making the driving experience better is the seat. The Fiesta has THE BEST there is, in its segment.

Quote:
The fiesta with it's wheezy petrol engine actually beat the T-jet in the track test.
I remember reading this. However; I would still pick the T Jet any day over the 1.5l NA in the Fiesta. This iteration of the Duratec is horrible. Stats aside, one drive of the T Jet is enough to understand which is the better of the two.

What I will credit Fiat for is that they have made Abarth available to us and hopefully, it will be priced right (Lets forget the 500). The Abarth Punto ain't no sticker or badge job. You do get some genuine Abarth bits. Going by how they typically operate, Fiat India need not have bothered with the Abarth theme on the inside but they did. Abarth clocks, seats, pedals, rims, rear disc brakes. I won't ask for more cause it is evident that prices will shoot up and then nobody will want to buy one.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 28th August 2015 at 14:35.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 14:35   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Though it is off topic in this thread, you really can not compare a car 200mm above the ground with a sedan like Linea. Ford have also tuned the steering on Aspire and Fiesta with mass market in mind. Aspire is a budget offering and retails at a significantly lower price compared to Linea.

Compare apples to apples, drive a Ford Fiesta after Linea to understand why Ford owners crave about its handling. It is so agile and so nimble that it will run circles around a Linea the chassis and body changes directions in a snap. Drive a Figo after Punto and you will understand, Ford and Fiat both offer fantastic handling in their respective segments.
Quote:
I wanted to TD a fiesta, but seems the AT is no more available neither the dealership was interested in even talking about that car. They did not have a fiesta for TD as well :( .
After reading reviews of fiesta I had a positive opinion about ecosport and aspire. In any case, I was not convinced with the build quality of ford as well. The aspire boot once opened felt flimsy plus the interior plastics did not give a feel of sub 9 lakhs car.
I had hopes from ford at least but later convinced myself that given the induced high benchmark after owning a couple of Fiats,any other brand is nothing but compromise.

After driving an aspire and ecosport, when my wife and I sat in our 5 years old Linea it felt as if we have come in aspire to check the Linea since u always come in a lower segment car to check a higher segment one.

Eventually I succumbed to 'The great Substandard Build Quality for Indian Market' compromise and ended up buying an e2o lol ! I chose to retain my beloved Fiat.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 28th August 2015 at 14:46.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 14:59   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

I remember reading this. However; I would still pick the T Jet any day over the 1.5l NA in the Fiesta. This iteration of the Duratec is horrible. Stats aside, one drive of the T Jet is enough to understand which is the better of the two.
There is no doubt about which one is the better engine. How I wish Ford had just plonked the earlier 1.6 Duratec with a little more power. That engine was something. I still remember the 1.6S that I test drove (atleast 5-6 times) and it was one of the best handling cars that I have driven. Ford MD had remarked that everyone loved the 1.6S, but no one bought it. Such is the case in India where FE and good looks matter the most (apart from brand). Since I already had the 1.4TDCi, my wife struck down the idea of another Fiesta. Eventually my wife got herself an I-20 diesel .
Old 28th August 2015, 20:37   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
On to the gearbox, I've ended up gnashing the gearbox several times on my T Jet when I was trying to make a quick getaway. Slotting third is where it goes wrong on my car. There is no fault with my gearbox. The shift action could have been a lot better though.
This comes as a surprise because slotting into third gear is the easiest part of the gearbox. This is what i usually do, give a gentle shove to the gear lever from second gear without worrying about the gear shift pattern design. It automatically slots into third.
The same technique is followed while downshifting from fourth to third.
It should be easy unless you are straightaway jumping into third from first gear.
I personally find slotting into second gear the toughest part.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks