Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2015, 06:51   #841
BHPian

Re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
For those who are interested the Abarth has arrived at KHT Fiat, and it looks like its fresh off the truck. They have only one black demo car and, no they havn't got the Avventura, so booking a time slot may be prudent. You can contact Syed at 7353212345 and book your slots.

I did get to do a small test drive up and down the inner ring road, so these are completely seat of the pants/first impression thoughts compared to my 2014 T-Jet.

1. It doesn't look half bad. Even I was surprised, but it's still a little too loud for me.

2. The black interiors look nice, and some of the iffy plastics seem to be better than my Linea.

3. Idle is much smoother than my T-Jet and even has a mild growl.

4. The gearshift is more rubbery than mine, and yes it did put a dent in the driving experience. (Maybe I just got lucky on mine)

5. Superb engine note that has a nice crisp growl. Please note, I said engine note and not exhaust note which is as mild as ever.

6. Brakes seems to be servoed differently than my T-Jet, seem to be less progressive and have a bite only after 1/4 pedal. It could also just be an issue with bleeding and fluid levels

7. My re-mapped T-jet has better low end torque, but the Abarth has the better top end and just seems to pull seamlessly to the limiter accompanied by that lovely smooth engine note. (that engine note is v v nice)

8. The Abarth suspension has taken out all the rocking and rolling out of the Linea, and still managed to keep the ride firm but acceptable. I think the slight chattering sensation I got going over broken bits of the road was mainly because of the tyres.

9. Steering seems to be the same, couldn't really tell on the straight ring road.

So the million dollar question, would I upgrade from my mapped T-Jet. Seat of the pants answer is NO.
Sorry, should have proof read before posting. Mods please correct and merge if possible

I did get to do a small test drive up and down the inner ring road, so these are completely seat of the pants/first impressions when compared to my 2014 T-Jet.

4. The gearshift is more clearly more rubbery than my T-jet, and yes it did put a dent in the driving experience. (Maybe I just got lucky on my Linea)

8. The Abarth suspension has taken out all the rocking and rolling that my Linea has, and still manages to keep the ride firm but acceptable. I think the slight chattering sensation I got going over broken bits of the road was mainly because of the tyres.

Thanks.
Old 24th October 2015, 09:30   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post

I did get to do a small test drive up and down the inner ring road, so these are completely seat of the pants/first impressions when compared to my 2014 T-Jet.

4. The gearshift is more clearly more rubbery than my T-jet, and yes it did put a dent in the driving experience. (Maybe I just got lucky on my Linea)

I think it's because it's still new. As many have noted before, the shift should get better after a few thousands of kilometres?

side note: having driven a TJet for the past three years, I hadn't had a big problem with the shifting. It's only when I take my dad's Getz out or the recently procured pre-worshipped 1.9PD Laura out that I see how bad the TJet's rubbery gearshift is.

I guess the seating and the shifting is something that'll take time to get used to. And I wish we had a simple mechanical mod to remove the rubbery feel altogether from the shifting.

Are there any other cars with such a rubbery shift feel or is it only the Fiats we have here?
Old 24th October 2015, 10:06   #843
BHPian

How rubbery is the shifting exactly? I find the 1st gen Verna's gearbox irritatingly rubbery. Is this worse than that? Someone who has driven both please provide your inputs!
Old 24th October 2015, 10:19   #844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
I just called the nearest Fiat dealer who is located 341 Km's away in Vijayawada (AP) and they have a white Abarth Punto in stock. I was given a quote of Rs 11.65 lakh on road. They however do not have any test drive car and hence going all the way for a test drive is virtually ruled out. Besides i really do no need to test drive this car as it has a pedigree. In fact i even bought my GT TSI without a test drive, something that i had never ever done in my life. I'll bet the Abarth Punto will be the second such instance.

I have virtually made up my mind to replace my GT TSI with this mean machine. Its ironic because many years ago before i actually took to the wheel, my grandfather was purchasing the Palio 1.2 and i would try and convince him to take the Palio 1.6 GTX instead. Every once in a while a legend comes along and after a long wait here is another legend from Fiat. Kudos to Fiat for this exciting launch.

Buddy your nearest dealer is more than 300 Kms away. I suggest, let the euphoria die, dust settle and then think of buying the car.

There are considerable changes in the engine compared to the existing Tjet. Let it be out in the market for say an year or so. You will have time to know if there are any major niggles. You cant be running to your dealer 300 kms away every fortnight right?

Your Tsi is not too bad after all!!
vibbs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 10:23   #845
Senior - BHPian

I had a GP for 3+ years. I found the gear shifts to be precise and never found them to be 'rubbery'. I used to be mildly surprised, and irritated even, by the constant moans and groans about the shift quality and seating ergonomics on numerous auto-forums.

Eventually, I sold my GP and moved to a Xenon XT.

After a long gap, I had a chance to drive a friend's GP for a few hundreds of kms.

The first few kms, I was shocked that I was unable to slot the gears properly. The rubbery-ness revealed itself to me in all its glory; especially the first and second gears.

The next 50 odd kms, my right knee started aching. So much so that, I stopped for quite a few impromptu tea breaks.

Gradually, as I got used to the car again, I started to appreciate the precise shifts. The seating posture too did not bother me.

After the first day of driving, I was in love with the car again.

So..
Is the seating posture messed up? Yes.
Is the shift rubbery? Yes.
Are they deal breakers? You got to be kiddding!!

These are things that were lost upon me for three plus years. They were apparent only during back-to-back driving of different cars. A few hours of driving, and I'm sure you won't notice them. The pluses outweigh the negatives- vehemently.

Give speed a chance, people.
schakravarthy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 10:42   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
I think it's because it's still new. As many have noted before, the shift should get better after a few thousands of kilometres?

side note: having driven a TJet for the past three years, I hadn't had a big problem with the shifting. It's only when I take my dad's Getz out or the recently procured pre-worshipped 1.9PD Laura out that I see how bad the TJet's rubbery gearshift is.

I guess the seating and the shifting is something that'll take time to get used to. And I wish we had a simple mechanical mod to remove the rubbery feel altogether from the shifting.

Are there any other cars with such a rubbery shift feel or is it only the Fiats we have here?
No, I don't think it's that. My gearbox from day one was much better than the Abarth. Even the demo T-jet I drove, which probably had a few thousand km on it was better than the demo Abarth.

I went for a drive in my T-jet this morning and my analysis posted earlier holds. My T-jet clearly has the better low end, and better throttle response for city driving.
keroo1099 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 10:49   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Buddy your nearest dealer is more than 300 Kms away. I suggest, let the euphoria die, dust settle and then think of buying the car.

There are considerable changes in the engine compared to the existing Tjet. Let it be out in the market for say an year or so. You will have time to know if there are any major niggles. You cant be running to your dealer 300 kms away every fortnight right?

Your Tsi is not too bad after all!!
You're absolutely right. Its exactly what Ive been telling myself however its really difficult to control an urge that has set in. My TSI is no slouch, its just 2 years old, it has an awesome after market stereo system and its also Petes remapped however i have this craving for a manual transmission with 145 horses that is in the guise of the Abarth Punto. Fiat do not have a sales dealer in my town however they do have a service dealer here. All the warranty related issues and servicing will be covered in my town. Theres no way i wouldve even entertained the thought of the Abarth if i have to travel more than 300 kms for after sales support. Im placing a few ads for my TSI, lets see what happens. Im still waiting for my team bhp ad to be approved.
Old 24th October 2015, 12:33   #848
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore folks just a heads up,

I called up Mr Syed of KHT Motors on the number provided by keroo1099 and he informed me the Abarth Evo is not available for TDs today(Saturday) as the car is off for some press related activities. TDs can be arranged tomorrow(Sunday). Planning to go there with a couple of bhpians tomorrow to check it out. Feel free to join up!
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 12:50   #849
BHPian

For Mumbai Folks

Anybody in Mumbai has taken a TD of Abarth? Is it available? In case anyone is planning to take a TD this weekend, I would love to join.
Old 24th October 2015, 14:19   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
Anybody in Mumbai has taken a TD of Abarth? Is it available? In case anyone is planning to take a TD this weekend, I would love to join.
Hey. I'm in the same boat as you. Since there is now only one dealer in Mumbai and they don't have any idea if the car is coming or not. I'm trying to take a TD but it's not yet been possible.
Old 24th October 2015, 14:50   #851
BHPian

First impressions from Powedrift.

RJ411 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 16:22   #852
BHPian

Just wanted to inform people in Chennai that RDC motors in Nandanam has a display of both white and black Abarth Puntos. However, both are booked and they did offer the white one for a test drive though it is a customer car!!
In case a bhpian has pre booked a White Abarth there, please check the car thoroughly before taking delivery.
jvm_1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 19:53   #853
BHPian

My TD experience of the abarth punto.
Black was the display car and white the TD car. These are purely my views and the comparisons are with my current cars.

Looks:

The black is awesome. White looks relatively plain.
I hated the red fog lamp surrounds in the pics, but they actually look good in real. I would do off with the bonnet and the roof decals. Looks cheesy.
The alloys look fantastic; though the wheel well gaps could have been smaller.

Interiors:

Black - super.
The quality of materials seem to be ok and the dials look good. The OEM sound system would satisfy most people.

The drive:

Fiat really really need to sort out the seating position. Spent a full 5 min trying out various positions - no luck.

Start the engine and the engine settle into a very quite idle. Blip the throttle and a faint roar : nice.

The clutch is light but the travel is looong! It is so long a travel that, when i released the pedal my knees were quite bent. So technically the you sit a bit close to the accelerator pedal. Not good for the left knee and right ankle.

The engine has a mild lad, nothing to complain of and is super smooth to drive even in traffic. Above 2k rpm there is abundant power. Best in segment. Loved the power delivery.

Then comes the gear shift and I am like 😳. Poor quality shifts would be an understatement.

The hydraulic power steering is super and the ride is actually better than the ecosport with 16 inchers. The GC is practical and really useful. Hit a very bad patch and the car breezed through all potholes and what not😄.

The brakes are very confidence inspiring.

I came out of the 30 minute TD feeling very happy ( this car's power and handling are way above the competition), but with a painful left knee and sore right ankle (I don't have joint problems).

The big question in my mind. Does it have a place in my garage?

Pros:

Engine
Power in loads
Brakes
Wheels
Looks
Black interiors
reasonably good interiors.

Cons:

Horrible seating position and pedal position.
The gear box needs to be sorted ASAP.
Less equipment than rivals.

But will I buy it? No.

For me a comfortable seating and gear shift is a deal breaker. Many might argue, but in day to day traffic it is not handling or steering feel that matters most to me. If I am not comfortable driving after a hard day it dosent cut it for me.

But, if this was my weekend car for the curvy side roads, then yes I would definitely consider it and there is no direct competition in this segment.

Happy motoring.
differential is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 20:41   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post

I came out of the 30 minute TD feeling very happy ( this car's power and handling are way above the competition), but with a painful left knee and sore right ankle (I don't have joint problems).

Happy motoring.
Sorry to learn about the state of your knee and ankle after the drive.
I seriously think that, if that was your state after just 30 mins of driving in a mass produced car, the problem most probably lies with you than the car. Please get your knee checked.
If nothing else, it's better to err on the side of caution.
rrsteer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 20:47   #855
Senior - BHPian

Any BHPian has taken TD of Avventura or everyone forgets about it as soon as they reach the showroom after seeing the Punto Evo.
Fiat's showroom is 35 kms from my home otherwise I would be writing my TD experience by now.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed