Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2017, 22:34   #271
Team-BHP Support

re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
As per some logic of consumer perceptions going on in some other thread, the new Verna should be priced at least 20% below Honda City or else it's dead on arrival
No use comparing TATA with Hyundai. The latter has way better market recognition and is seen as an established player even in much higher segments like the one Santa FE is positioned in.

Infact, Hyundai has taken on the City earlier as well and even won for quite some time - without a big price advantage. They absolutely don't need a low price to compete, unlike TATA.

But will that guarantee success? No. The issue with the new Verna is that it looks too identical to the old. It just fails to excite as a new model. So I feel you couldnt be more wrong about the positioning. Price battle won't get them anywhere.

What they really need is to give it maximum features and bring as much differentiation and excitement as possible. This way, make the market take notice and the sales should follow. Features like sunroof are good, but the real differentiation could be the ride, handling and interiors compared to earlier.

But still, might be a case of too little, too late. Let's wait and watch.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th August 2017 at 22:36.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 22:51   #272
Senior - BHPian

My guesstimate is that the petrol would be priced ~70k above the Ciaz variant to variant, the 1.6 diesel would be 1L above the Ciaz, variant to variant, with the top-most SX(O) with Sunroof/8 Airbags etc. being +/-30k of Honda City ZX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
So just wanted to start the pricing debate all over again. It's so much fun on our forum.
Pricing debate is like a hot potato.

First the Jeep compass, then the Nexon and now the Verna...hopefully many more to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But still, might be a case of too little, too late. Let's wait and watch.
Might very well be. The current Verna sales numbers are comparable to Vento & Rapid. Guess HMIL were caught napping while the others in the segment were catching up.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 4th August 2017 at 22:59.
Old 4th August 2017, 23:11   #273
e46
BHPian

I see a lot of posts stating the design is plane jane or ordinary, but I like it much more than the current one. Could be my taste, but the design is more subtle with plain lines with less cuts and creases.
If this comes with a black interior option and along with 6 airbags in a single variant, I would surely consider buying it. better, if that option be with the 1.6 crdi with 260nm.

*in trance we trust*
e46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 23:50   #274
BHPian

awesome quotes about the vehicle engine
Power delivery is smooth and kicks in as low as about 1200 rpm going all the way up to about 4000 rpm. There is no sudden jerky delivery either - but linear and smooth, a trait that the Verna has always had in the past too. The big other noticeable factor in the new Verna is the level of refinement. It might not be revolutionarily quiet but it is most certainly one of the most quiet diesel sedans in its class. The Verna also scores high when it comes to vibrations and harshness with levels low enough to be invasive especially in cruising conditions.

https://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/2017-h...-drive-1733611
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 07:28   #275
BHPian

The first drive reviews are already out.

Autocar India: http://www.autocarindia.com/car-revi...k-drive-405606

Extracts:
1. What’s new is that the old four-speed automatics have been replaced by new six-speed units and the 1.6 petrol now gets a six-speed rather than a five-speed manual as well.
2. For this new Verna, Hyundai has dropped the 1.4-litre engine options entirely, and the old car’s 1.6-litre petrol and diesel engines return virtually unchanged.
3. The whole chassis is new too, and as a result, the car is a lot better tied down. It’s still very much on the soft side though and not a very sporty handling car, although the steering doesn’t feel as loose or disconnected as before. But it’s very refined and will likely be the quietest car in the class.
4. The new Verna addresses the problems of the older car, such as the wayward ride and handling, which are vastly improved, although a bit on the soft side
Old 5th August 2017, 10:20   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
I see a lot of posts stating the design is plane jane or ordinary, but I like it much more than the current one. Could be my taste, but the design is more subtle with plain lines with less cuts and creases.
If this comes with a black interior option and along with 6 airbags in a single variant, I would surely consider buying it. better, if that option be with the 1.6 crdi with 260nm.

*in trance we trust*
Well i completely agree with you on the design it looks like a timeless design like most of the Audi's, considering the New Hyundai's are now designed in Europe by the Designer who was involved in designing the Audi TT.

I hope it looks as good on the road as in the pictures.
Old 5th August 2017, 10:34   #277
BHPian

I have a doubt. What is that round thing near the cascading Grille encircled in red by me for? It is not on other side in pictures. Parking sensor? For towing purpose?

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1501909441767.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1501909279978.jpg
Old 5th August 2017, 10:41   #278
BHPian

A bit OT, but I wonder what will now become of the Elantra. The only thing separating both is size and stance. Verna has even caught up on the equipment list. Makes sense as Verna has the potential to garner more sales rather than the comparatively slow selling Elantra.
Old 5th August 2017, 10:45   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
Car looks to be absolute stunner to me and much more mature and elegant than the cuurent gen verna. I kind of like Hyundai's fluidic 2.0 design philosophy although it is little fluidic

Hope Hyundai does not mess up the pricing/features part, issues which are plaguing current gen Hyundais. No way it should be priced more than city even if it is a better car otherwise hard luck selling it.
Old 5th August 2017, 10:47   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Team,

Sharing some more details regarding the next-gen Verna with all of you:

Thanks to my birdies for these.
A more clearer picture attached

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1501910253630.jpg

There is no mention of rear camera anywhere in any posts. Does that mean Hyundai is skipping that in the Next Gen Verna?

Last edited by drashkum : 5th August 2017 at 10:54.
drashkum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 11:09   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
A more clearer picture attached

Attachment 1663866

There is no mention of rear camera anywhere in any posts. Does that mean Hyundai is skipping that in the Next Gen Verna?
I would think that's a pretty standard feature and not worthy enough to be highlighted as a key USP, hence no mention.

I did read somewhere that Verna has "Reverse Parking assist" which I believe is a combination of a reverse parking sensor and a camera.
Old 5th August 2017, 13:49   #282
BHPian

I really wish that hyundai prices the verna in the Ciaz's territory than the City's territory. A Premium of 50k to 1L more over Ciaz variant wise depending on the features would be apt.
CITY CVT ZX Petrol with similar features retails at 17L + 54k for additional goodies like honda assist and other stuff in chennai. If hyundai prices the Next Gen Verna in same range, it should be a doomsday as Verna is already selling only sub 1000 cars per month.
I remember the pre launch thread of creta here where everyone speculated hyundai to price it in ecosport range and hyundai went ahead to price it in 2L premium variant to variant wise with 17L for top end diesel. Creta still sold well as there was not much competition in the segment and all those wanting to own a SUV ish car lapped it up. But if hyundai makes the same mistake this time, i think there will be no respite.
Old 5th August 2017, 14:14   #283
BHPian

Consolidation of First Drive impressions / review on various portals:

TheHindu:

Quote:
We got to test drive the new Verna on the test track at Hyundai's Chennai plant and the first impression is very positive. The handling seems to have gotten much better. The overall ride quality and poise on the road is good. Steering precision has also improved, and though it still lacks in feedback and feels over-assisted, there is a lot more confidence while taking corners in the new Verna. We were driving on smooth, well-laid black top tarmac, so the suspension quality can't be commented about.

But, Hyundai officials say that the suspension has been tuned for improved rear seat ride quality. The rear suspension geometry has been modified by increased vertical angle of the shock absorbers and coil springs on the coupled torsion beam axle. Front suspension gets a hydraulic rebound stopper.
Quote:
The new Verna is a clear step up from the model's previous iteration. The bump in quality and features will unsettle the competition even more if the Verna gets an aggressive price tag too. For the buyer in this segment, the new Verna is good news because it will deliver more value, and the feel and features of a pricier car.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle9802133.ece

Carwale:

Quote:
We got a short stint behind the wheel in the diesel variants and we must say the engines had us impressed with power delivery and refinement. Hyundai says it has moved the ride and handling game to the next level too thanks to the new K2 platform and by precise tuning of key suspension components that are vital for ride and handling. We did throw the car around for a bit and it seems Hyundai has finally hit the right balance. But we can only talk about the details once we get to drive the car out in the real world.

The new Verna then has moved the game forward when you compare it to its predecessor. It's loaded with features, some which are first in its segment. It's also got the most powerful engines in its class and now with a ride and handling package to match it does make a formidable package. But will it take the fight to the current champion, the Honda City and the likes of the Maruti Ciaz and the Skoda Rapid? Our exhaustive review shall answer that question soon.
https://www.carwale.com/hyundai-cars...reviews-30370/

NDTV:
Quote:
We got behind the wheel of the diesel in both the manual and automatic gearbox version, so lets start with the manual first. The impressive figures on paper when it comes to power and torque figures have always translated well to tarmac in the Verna and this generation is no different. Power delivery is smooth and kicks in as low as about 1200 rpm going all the way up to about 4000 rpm. There is no sudden jerky delivery either - but linear and smooth, a trait that the Verna has always had in the past too. The big other noticeable factor in the new Verna is the level of refinement. It might not be revolutionarily quiet but it is most certainly one of the most quiet diesel sedans in its class. The Verna also scores high when it comes to vibrations and harshness with levels low enough to be invasive especially in cruising conditions.

And now to the important question! One that we are sure we will be asked over and over again by a plethora of Indian consumers who are keen to buy a sedan in this category. How does the new Hyundai Verna handle and ride? Well, the last generation Verna was plagued with issues when it came to handling due to Hyundai making sure that the chassis was tuned more towards comfort. And although this new generation Hyundai Verna is still very much tuned for comfort, it handles much MUCH better than its predecessor.
https://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/2017-h...-drive-1733611

AutoCar India:
Quote:
First, the manual, and as before, you quickly realise that it’s rather quiet and the gearbox is very smooth. Typical of a Hyundai diesel, there’s a nice, linear build-up of power. It doesn’t feel phenomenally punchy for a 128hp motor, but power feels adequate and it’s pretty torquey too. It feels smooth and has a broad torque spread, pulling cleanly from low revs, also allowing for relaxed cruising thanks to the six-speed gearbox, which equates to about 80kph at around 1,400rpm.

The diesel automatic works quite well and this will be the one most will go for. It’s a bit of a lazy ’box and gearshifts are not particularly quick, but it’s quite smooth and refined and does the job of everyday commuting. It feels effortless to drive thanks to generous torque and an engine that feels like it has a surplus of power. While the manual revs to around 4,500rpm, the auto version upshifts in lower gears at 4,200rpm and around 4,000rpm in higher gears.

The bigger talking point is that it feels much better tied down than before. Hyundai has taken critical feedback from customers, and even our reviews of the earlier Verna, and heavily reworked the suspension geometry. The whole chassis is new too, and as a result, the car is a lot better tied down. It’s still very much on the soft side though and not a very sporty handling car, although the steering doesn’t feel as loose or disconnected as before. But it’s very refined and will likely be the quietest car in the class.
Quote:
The new Verna addresses the problems of the older car, such as the wayward ride and handling, which are vastly improved, although a bit on the soft side. The big issue is that it doesn’t feel like an all-new car. The styling is more evolved than anything dramatically new, and the interiors are also too familiar, with typical Hyundai design theme from before. That said, Hyundai has set such high standards in interior quality already, that there wasn’t much further this car could go on that front. The rear seat might dissuade some, as space is not up there with the best.

Bookings for the new Verna are open and, though prices have not yet been announced, it won’t be cheap given all the equipment. Overall, the Verna is a very refined, relaxed car to drive with lots of features, and, as before, it’s not a car for the enthusiast, but for someone who wants comfort and an effortless driving experience.
http://www.autocarindia.com/car-revi...k-drive-405606

Financial Express:
Quote:
On our brief drive on the company test track, the benefits of the new body shell and improved NVH insulation were clearly visible. At a cruising speed of 90 km/h, there was almost no sound inside the cabin except the tyre roll sound. The engines are the same as found in the present model but have been worked upon for better efficiency and improved drivability. As a result, the car now picks up from a standstill without any hesitation in the manual version and the automatic too shifts at a quick pace. However, we drove the car only on a short test track so we'll need to drive it on the roads to give a clear verdict on the powertrain performance.

Clutch is quite light in the manual version and the gear lever throws are short and smooth, which should result in an easy-to-drive car in traffic. Acceleration was impressive and the new Verna reaches 120 km/h effortlessly and that's the maximum we could manage on the short straight we drove on.

Fuel-efficiency figures are yet to be disclosed by Hyundai but we expect them to be at par with the segment leader and maybe better too in the case of the diesel versions.
Hyundai claims to have improved the handling and around corners, it was evident that they have. The car feels significantly more stable than the present Verna and body-roll is lesser now. The front too now dives a lot lesser than the present model and we are confident this should be a good car to drive.
Quote:
With the brief time spent with the new Verna, I can confidently say that Hyundai is all set to give headaches to the competition. The new Verna looks dynamic, has multiple class-leading features, comes with powerful and refined engines and offers an automatic transmission with both petrol and diesel engines. There is a significant improvement in the way it handles at high speed too and that shows the effort Hyundai engineers have put in to improve on every possible area reported by the consumers.
http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...tition/794364/

ZigWheels:

Quote:
We could only sample the diesel avatar of the Verna, but had a go with both the transmissions. Clutch in, thumb the start-stop button, and the engine comes to life with a faint clatter. The engine feels smooth and refined as you start driving. The highlight here is the drivability of the motor, courtesy the torque. You can lug it at 30kmph in third. Step on it, and expect it to build speed cleanly. Much like the little Xcent, power delivery remains linear, save for a small spike in power at around 1700rpm. The diesel should make for a good city car as the clutch is light (albeit springy), and the gearshifts are quick n’ slick.

If you don’t want that hassle altogether, the new automatic gearbox will save the day. It shifts through the gears quickly and just gets the job done. Don’t expect it to be a sporty gearbox that will give you split-second shifts. Think of it rather as convenience and it seems just right for the job. There’s a manual mode too, but it didn’t seem all that engaging to use. It’s best left to its own, really.

What’s appreciable, is the fact that the Verna is no longer a skittish handler. Around the skidpad, it remained composed as we chucked it about. Yes, there’s a bit of body roll but it’s predictable. And, we’d say the same thing about the steering as well. It is light, sure - but not dead. It does a good job of telling you what the front wheels are up to. Impressive! We can’t comment on the ride just as yet, but Hyundai tells us the new suspension has been engineered to be more forgiving, more pliant and quieter. It should have no qualms munching highway miles, but we’ll reserve our word on it till we get enough time with the car.
Quote:
To put it simply, the Verna’s package has only become stronger. The new design is mature and likeable, and like most Hyundais - it is loaded to the gills as well. Our short spin has us impressed with the drivability of the diesel, and the dynamics when you hustle it. Yes, the interior could’ve looked a lot less simpler and some more room at the back would’ve made it the perfect package. But, that doesn’t take away from the fact that Verna will catapult right to the top of the consideration list for the self-driven lot. It isn’t going to be easy, but Hyundai does look well-prepped to slug it out with the updated Honda City and the to-be updated Maruti Ciaz.
https://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-ad...essions/28500/

MotorBeam:

Quote:
The 6-speed autobox is also available on the diesel. The single clutch transmission offers smooth shifts but isn’t the quickest when you want to drive in a hurry

Another big step forward comes in the dynamics department. The previous generation Verna wasn’t really meant for corner craving as the steering was light and the suspension was soft with little feedback. However, with the use of the high strength steel and a rigid body frame, the fifth generation Verna has vastly improved when it comes to handling. It is more eager to change direction and does so with confidence. The steering offers reasonable feedback but still doesn’t feel as connected at high speeds. We will however reserve our judgement until we do a full blown review. Ride quality too has improved but it was difficult to judge over a short drive on well surfaced-tarmac.
https://www.motorbeam.com/2017/08/ca...w-first-drive/
pathik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 14:29   #284
BHPian

All I need to know (and i'm sure quite a few of us) now is what does Sx+ Auto offer in terms of features, especially safety.
Old 5th August 2017, 14:41   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
All I need to know (and i'm sure quite a few of us) now is what does Sx+ Auto offer in terms of features, especially safety.
Since every review includes the diesel AT version, I am not sure why the reviewers haven't pointed out the missing features on the AT variant compared to the manual (presumably top end one) they drove.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 5th August 2017 at 14:46.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks