Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2017, 07:35   #451
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

The problem with the Verna is low seating and a wallowy ride! Don't know about the ride but the low set seats haven't been sorted out with the new Verna too as it's evolutionary update.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 08:23   #452
BHPian

I have booked the verna but now I am reconsidering the decision after looking at the seat color, beige with black bolstering makes it look ugly. I hope there are more options for the interior, considering I have booked the ventilated seat model.
Mindgrinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 12:41   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Some of the comparison slides are just unbelievably hilarious - example chrome on fog lamps deserves a point as do engines! Good afternoon laugh in my opinion and is nothing more than a desperate sales document. I guess all manufacturers do this.

One point - considering Ciaz is ranked higher than the City, is this indicative of their target? Or am I reading too much into the numbers?
+1

My observations;

1. Silver detailing for the rear A/C vents: I believe Ciaz also has silver detailing round the vents. Yet, it gets thumbs down.
2. Rear Seat: The City and Ciaz have single tone seat finish (which I prefer) whereas the Verna gets black and beige (which, to me, seems too much overdone)
3. Tail lamp cluster: Hyundai alleges City for having a part in the cluster that does not Glow. Does it mean that the entire cluster on the Verna Glows without any non-glowing element? Looking carefully one can find many. Non-glowing areas does not matter as long as all essential lamps are in place. Had it been a case of a dummy lamp sitting in place of a regular light (as in a Etios) then this point has some veracity.

Nonetheless, I had a good laugh to start my day with.
King_pin09 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 12:47   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
+1

My observations;

2. Rear Seat: The City and Ciaz have single tone seat finish (which I prefer) whereas the Verna gets black and beige (which, to me, seems too much overdone)
Agreed! this makes the car look cheap. Even the red and Black seats in Creta look better, these interiors are forcing me to either upgrade to Elantra or buy another car. I hope if Hyundai is reading the forums they give multiple options for interiors.
Mindgrinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 16:40   #455
BHPian

Is it just me or front and rear looks awfully smilar to new Xcent. This family face strategy did not go down well with Volkswagen before and now Hyundai is following the same. Considering i20 facelift is supposed to have same hexagonal grill.
New Verna has front and back similar to lower segment car and side profile same as outgoing version. A lot has been said about handling. The only differentiating factors from competition now will be smooth diesel and powerful petrol engines and hopefully price(more bang for buck).
Old 18th August 2017, 17:32   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
Agreed! this makes the car look cheap. Even the red and Black seats in Creta look better, these interiors are forcing me to either upgrade to Elantra or buy another car. I hope if Hyundai is reading the forums they give multiple options for interiors.
Has any manufacturer ever given options to customise interior in india in any car?

Just asking out of curiosity
drashkum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 18:06   #457
Team-BHP Support

In this day and age, it's quite heartening to see a C segment car with visibly protruding bumpers as compared to the body. Neither City nor Ciaz follows this in their design and the sheet metal is vulnerable, specially from the rear.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-4-1.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 18:46   #458
BHPian

Just got a call from a dealer here in Kolkata since I had registered interest on Hyundai's website. He was willing to share all the pricing information. Sorry I did not get the prices variant wise but below is what I got from him
All figures are OTR Kolkata minus the TCS charges
Petrol - Starts at 8.53
SX(O) Manual - 11.48
SX(O) Auto - 12.6

Diesel SX(O) - 12.76

Seems to me super pricing from Hyundai.
Dhrubo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 19:44   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo View Post
Just got a call from a dealer here in Kolkata since I had registered interest on Hyundai's website. He was willing to share all the pricing information. Sorry I did not get the prices variant wise but below is what I got from him
Petrol - Starts at 8.53
SX(O) Manual - 11.48
SX(O) Auto - 12.6

Diesel SX(O) - 12.76

Sounds like an over-enthu sales executive. Those prices don't sound realistic at all. They seem off by at least 2 lakhs. If true, it would be undercutting ciaz which is nothing short of extra-ordinary. I don't see that happening to be honest.

Edit -
Now that I have compared OTR prices between Mumbai and Kolkata, there is a difference of nearly 90k on the top variant of Ciaz. Which makes all the prices quoted above little more possible. This makes Mumbai OTR for Diesel SX(O) somewhere around 13.8L (including TCS) and the Automatic SX+ Diesel should be about 14L (going by the above prices) which sounds slightly more realistic but still hopeful. It would still be undercutting Ciaz by a decent margin. I would be super elated if this is indeed true but don't want to raise my hopes.

Last edited by pathik : 18th August 2017 at 19:59. Reason: Additional comments
pathik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 19:56   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrashantPahwa View Post
Is it just me or front and rear looks awfully smilar to new Xcent. This family face strategy did not go down well with Volkswagen before and now Hyundai is following the same. Considering i20 facelift is supposed to have same hexagonal grill.
New Verna has front and back similar to lower segment car and side profile same as outgoing version. A lot has been said about handling. The only differentiating factors from competition now will be smooth diesel and powerful petrol engines and hopefully price(more bang for buck).
There is nothing wrong with Family Faces/Grills. That is the identity of the Brand.

A lot of Manufacturers follow this 'Family Face' in their design language. For example:
- BMW
- Mercedes
- Audi
- RR
- Bentley
- Jaguar
- Land Rover (to some extent)
- Tesla
- Alfa Romeo
- Citroen

What is the harm with Hyundai following this philosophy?
abhishek46 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 20:06   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Petrol - Starts at 8.53
SX(O) Manual - 11.48
SX(O) Auto - 12.6

Diesel SX(O) - 12.76

There is a good chance of this being ex showroom prices. There is no way on earth this could be on road prices. Don't think they would price it so low considering the equipment on offer like sunroof, 6 airbags , cruise control etc.

Hyundai undercutting the competition is a thing of the last decade. It hasn't happened this decade and will never again happen.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 18th August 2017 at 20:08.
Ragavsr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 20:09   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
Sounds like an over-enthu sales executive. Those prices don't sound realistic at all. They seem off by at least 2 lakhs...
Indeed. I mean when he was quoting me the prices, I repeated after him and asked if they are Ex-showroom prices. But he categorically mentioned these are OTR prices which includes 5 yr road tax and standard insurance.
This was from one of the largest dealers in Kolkata (not just Hyundai but also premium brands) and I would daresay they would goof up like this. He invited me for the launch on 22nd August. I guess that is when we will know for sure.
Old 18th August 2017, 20:14   #463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrashantPahwa View Post
Is it just me or front and rear looks awfully smilar to new Xcent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
What is the harm with Hyundai following this philosophy?
Looks like a mini Elantra rather than a large Xcent. It's a good looking car, no doubt.

My only issue with the looks is that most people will fail to identify it as an all new car. And while that would work for the established City, a struggling Verna needed to make people sit up and take notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
There is a good chance of this being ex showroom prices. There is no way on earth this could be on road prices. Don't think they would price it so low considering the equipment on offer like sunroof, 6 airbags , cruise control etc.
Yes. Looks like ex showroom prices.

You can added taxes to that list as well with both the 1.6L engines qualifying for maximum penalty.
Old 18th August 2017, 20:35   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Petrol - Starts at 8.53
SX(O) Manual - 11.48
SX(O) Auto - 12.6
Diesel SX(O) - 12.76
These are lower than current generation Verna Kolkata OTR prices quoted by Carwale (which usually quotes lower than actual dealership prices)

These are ex-showroom, even by that the top variants are spec-to-spec a lakh cheaper than the City. I just compared SX(O) AT VTVT vs ZX CVT and SX(O) CRDI vs ZXD of Verna and City. But would be about 30-50K above Vento spec-to-spec.
Old 18th August 2017, 22:49   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

These are ex-showroom, even by that the top variants are spec-to-spec a lakh cheaper than the City. I just compared SX(O) AT VTVT vs ZX CVT and SX(O) CRDI vs ZXD of Verna and City. But would be about 30-50K above Vento spec-to-spec.
Undercutting the City by one Lakh is a necessity. Even though the Fluidic Verna sold well, the refresh was a dud and hence the need to undercut the City.

As far as the Vento is concerned, the Vento is the grandpa of the segment. The Verna has gone through 3 generations since the Vento was introduced. Shows how proactive Hyundai is and the lousiness or rather in VW 's case snobbishness of their German engineering.

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2017 at 10:08. Reason: Guess you meant Vento, not 'Event' :)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks