Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2017, 22:44   #586
BHPian

Quite happy with the prices (now hoping Govt doesn't play spoilsport). I went ahead and gave a confirmation to the dealership with whom I had prebooked to confirm my booking of Automatic Diesel EX variant and paid the requisite confirmation amount yesterday within hours of the launch. I believe mine is amongst the first confirmations and it is very likely that I may get the delivery by first week of September or thereabouts. Really excited and looking forward to this.

My hunt for a new car has officially ended. I never thought I would ever book a car without even taking a test drive but with GST concerns looming over, I decided to take a little bit of leap of faith. Of course the early reviews helped me take the decision and I (and wifey) was anyway sold on the new design and feature set. I might go for a Test Drive tomorrow but unfortunately these guys have only ordered top-end Petrol variants for TD.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th August 2017 at 00:54.
Old 23rd August 2017, 23:07   #587
BHPian

I am in a bit of a quandary on what to book. I have zeroed in on the variant which is SxO. Im in dilemma on whether i need a Petrol Automatic or Diesel manual. I have even initiated the loan process too today.

The difference in price between Auto Petrol SxO and Diesel Manual SxO is 20000 Rs.

Concerns are Fuel efficiency and Resale. My father owns a Xcent Auto which gives only 10Kmpl max max in city Bumper to Bumper traffic in chennai, though it is a dream to drive a automatic in chennai traffic. The ARAI Mileage itself is only 15.2kmpl for VTVT AT of verna as listed brochure the lowest among the mills and transmissions. The resale of automatic petrol is an unchartered territory too. I am apprehensive that after 5 years with the car if i decide to sell the car and if it goes only for 3 to 4 Lakhs that will be a hell a lot of Depreciation. Can some one tell me what are the prospects of pricing when i sell a automatic car?

On contrary Diesel manual ARAI FE is 25kmpl and being a diesel manual the resale will be much better definitely. But i really want to get a SxO as i have a very small kid at home and one upcoming and i don't want to compromise on the safety part. It will be a bit bothersome in chennai traffic without automatic after getting used to a automatic.

Can someone one help me in making a better decision? What are the other factors should i look before i tell them tomorrow?

Old 23rd August 2017, 23:33   #588
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
I am in a bit of a quandry on what to book. I have zeroed in on the variant which is SxO. Im in dilemma on whether i need a Petrol Automatic or Diesel manual. I have even initiated the loan process too today.

The difference in price between Auto Petrol SxO and Diesel Manual SxO is 20000 Rs.

Concerns are Fuel efficiency and Resale. My father owns a Xcent Auto which gives only 10Kmpl max max in city Bumper to Bumper traffic in chennai, though it is a dream to drive a automatic in chennai traffic. The ARAI Mileage itself is only 15.2kmpl for VTVT AT of verna as listed brochure the lowest among the mills and transmissions. The resale of automatic petrol is an unchartered territory too. I am apprehensive that after 5 years with the car if i decide to sell the car and if it goes only for 3 to 4 Lakhs that will be a hell a lot of Depreciation. Can some one tell me what are the prospects of pricing when i sell a automatic car?

On contrary Diesel manual ARAI FE is 25kmpl and being a diesel manual the resale will be much better definitely. But i really want to get a SxO as i have a very small kid at home and one upcoming and i don't want to compromise on the safety part. It will be a bit bothersome in chennai traffic without automatic after getting used to a automatic.

Can someone one help me in making a better decision? What are the other factors should i look before i tell them tomorrow?
Mileage will definitely be a forte of the diesel over the petrol automatic. I think two more important factors to be considrered are the performance aspect, and your monthly running. If you like to enjoy your drive you should definitely go for the diesel because it rewards you with the best of both worlds ie performance and mileage. The petrol may definitely be good enough but the diesel is the more superior all rounder. Also, if your monthly running is not much, a small case is made for the diesel again that you wont have to be stuck for too long in traffic also after five years you can confidently expect the diesel's resale value to be superior to that of the petrol. I am biased towards the diesel since i have driven both the Petrol and Diesel versions of the previous version and would anyday take the diesel. Good luck and all the best for your new ride

Old 24th August 2017, 00:43   #589
BHPian

My advice would also be to go Diesel (preferably Automatic SX+ if you can live with two airbags). Much more fun to drive, and way better fuel efficiency. I wouldn't expect anything more than 10 kmpl in city traffic on Petrol Automatic whereas Diesel will give you close to 14-15. Petrol prices have been going north since last 3 weeks, dealers have asked for increased commissions on fuel, so that's another factor.

Old 24th August 2017, 04:39   #590
BHPian

Actually my running is not much. It should average around 1000 to 1250km per month. On a very high rare occurrence it can go above 1500km. But since the difference in price between the two options SxO Auto Petrol and SxO manual diesel is only Rs.20000, i am confused.
I know comparing Auto Petrol and Diesel Manual is comparing it to likes of apples and oranges but i can't help it as i don't want to buy SX+ Auto transmission version of diesel as i loose out on all the goodies especially side curtain airbags which i don't want to compromise on any account and the SX+ AT Diesel perse is 15.19 lakhs on road in chennai. I have already clearly overshot my budget for the car by a lakh of rupees and i don't want to go northwards more and more. So to keep the budget below 15 Lakhs, i want to choose only the two above listed options.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503529609276.jpg

The Flame orange looks ravishing on the car which is my choice of colour and my 2 year old sons favourite too.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503529673744.jpg

Sienna brown is what every one at home likes. Looks Classy. Phantom Black looks great too but very hard to maintain.
drashkum is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 08:13   #591
BHPian

Saw the 2017 Verna yesterday near Advaith Hyundai, ORR. Contrary to people saying it looks like the Xcent, to me it actually looked like a smaller Elantra. That is a good thing, cause I really like the Elantra. The headlamps steal the show with the DRLs.
Went through the brochure and would like to point out certain features which I believe stand out.

Projector fog lamps <-> Normal for lamps
Cornering lamps <-> NA
Speed sensing door lock EX onwards <-> Speed sensing door lock only in SX(O)
ISOFIX <-> No Isofix
LED Tail lamps <-> Normal tail lamps designed to look like LEDs
Rear seat adjustable head rest SX(O) only <-> Fixed rear headrests in all variants
Armakys speakers <-> normal sound system
Ventilated seats <-> normal seats
Sunroof <-> solid roof
Smart boot <-> normal boot
Cruise control <-> NA
Rear manual curtain <-> no such curtains
Luggage net and hooks <-> no net and hooks

PS- comparing New Verna and the Verna 4S
drive2eternity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 09:20   #592
MCR
BHPian

Thinking of booking Diesel EX MT.
It has all the essential features I was looking out for and the price is just about right. The car does look impressive and going by the reviews, looks like the ride quality and handling have been sorted out.

Will swap the steel wheels and OE tyres with Aftermarket alloys and Yokohama Earth1 tyres immediately after delivery.
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 09:38   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Actually my running is not much. It should average around 1000 to 1250km per month. On a very high rare occurrence it can go above 1500km. But since the difference in price between the two options SxO Auto Petrol and SxO manual diesel is only Rs.20000, i am confused.
I know comparing Auto Petrol and Diesel Manual is comparing it to likes of apples and oranges but i can't help it as i don't want to buy SX+ Auto transmission version of diesel as i loose out on all the goodies especially side curtain airbags which i don't want to compromise on any account and the SX+ AT Diesel perse is 15.19 lakhs on road in chennai. I have already clearly overshot my budget for the car by a lakh of rupees and i don't want to go northwards more and more. So to keep the budget below 15 Lakhs, i want to choose only the two above listed options.

Attachment 1669263

The Flame orange looks ravishing on the car which is my choice of colour and my 2 year old sons favourite too.
IMHO, you should go for diesel manual. My reasons are below:

1. Verna diesel is very good. If you are asking about City or Ciaz I would have suggested you to go for Petrol as their diesel versions are either loud or mediocre respectively.

2. As your average monthly running is around 1200KM and occasional 1500KM runs, you would save a good amount on fuel bills every month. Also since most of your commute is in city traffic, your Petrol AT mileage will be less than 10 and the initial price difference is very small (Rs 20K).

So, unless your top and only priority is Automatic, then you can go with Diesel manual.

Note: Orange looks shinier and beautiful under showroom lighting, but on the road they often look dull.

Last edited by sri_tesla : 24th August 2017 at 09:40.
sri_tesla is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 10:14   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in a bit of a quandary on what to book. I have zeroed in on the variant which is SxO. Im in dilemma on whether i need a Petrol Automatic or Diesel manual. I have even initiated the loan process too today.

I think you should go for the Petrol auto if you are satisfied with the performance. Being a 6 speed gear box this gearbox cannot be compared with the 4 speed auto on offer previously. So mileage should not be a big issue especially given that your monthly run is pretty low.

Diesel resale is not a given right now what with the focus on emissions and the government's stand on electric propulsion. Personally unless I am intent on keeping a diesel for a very long time (upwards of 1.5L km) I would steer clear and opt for a petrol. Regarding the diesel prices I think that the differential with petrol is not going to increase all that much especially as people have gotten used to daily prices. They are going to rise and fall in tandem if anything.

Especially since you spend time in a crowded city the convenience of an auto will greatly ease the stress of an manual reducing your stress levels etc. I think the Verna stays true to Hyundai's ethos of pleasant driving that started right from the Santro.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 24th August 2017 at 10:17.
Old 24th August 2017, 10:31   #595
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1669263

Attachment 1669264

Sienna brown is what every one at home likes. Looks Classy. Phantom Black looks great too but very hard to maintain.
Buy a car without worrying about the future resale value. The 5 years of ownership should be more enjoyable and satisfying than the price it might fetch in resale. If your requirements are an automatic AND full safety equipment, just buy the petrol SX(O) enjoy those 5 years, else compromise on one of the two and either buy the Diesel SX AT (Costs more) or Diesel SX(O) MT. And the Hyundai brand is not a dud that the car wont resell at all.
Old 24th August 2017, 10:54   #596
BHPian

Quote:

Nothing can beat the comfort of an automatic in bumper to bumper driving conditions,it all depends upon your requirement,if you are the one who will be using the car daily and will be stuck in traffic jams everyday it is best to go in for the petrol automatic hands down,also if you are a self employed businessman,then you can claim the depriciation on the car as income tax benefits,discuss with your ca if you are self employed businessman
Old 24th August 2017, 11:42   #597
BHPian

Quote:

1. Low resale value of automatics is a thing of the past. Automatics are becoming very popular in crowded Indian cities, and there is now an automatic on offer in every segment starting right from the entry level Alto/Nano. Traffic will get worse, and more people will opt for automatics. I believe it might become easier to sell automatics in metros a few years down the line compared to manuals.

2. Higher resale values of Diesel cars are suspect in the future due to anti-diesel regulatory environment. Even if your petrol car gets you slightly lower resale value after 5-7 years, thats a one time hit, whereas you would have enjoyed the comfort of an automatic everyday. Your left knee and left arm will thank you.

3. Prices of diesel and petrol have been converging and are likely to stay on the same path. Compare the price of a petrol manual verna and diesel manual verna to see how much actually you are paying for the diesel engine. Do a calculation yourself and see how long it takes to recover that additional cost. You will be surprised. (take the loss of interest from the additional capital spent also into account). If the price gap decreases, it will take you even longer to break even.

4. If I had to choose between mileage(diesel variant) and safety (additional airbags in petrol variant), I would choose safety first.

My suggestion: go for the petrol automatic.
Old 24th August 2017, 13:01   #598
BHPian

Silver is the perfect colour I feel. It really accentuates the chrome.

Well, the resale value of Verna isn't that great especially the petrol version and you will face a lot of depreciation, more so than other cars like City and Ciaz. In 5 years time, it will go from 12 lakh to 6-7 lakhs.

Indians are still conscious about fuel economy over everything else. If you are not going to keep your car for a long term like 7 + years go with a diesel automatic.

I personally have a petrol automatic because my monthly usage is not that high like around 1000 and I get around 15-16 in highways.
Old 24th August 2017, 13:02   #599
BHPian

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. After much contemplation and racking my small brain i have gone ahead and confirmed the car as Next Gen Verna Diesel Manual SxO. I had to listen to my brain than the heart this time. .

Reason on why i had to choose diesel manual ahead of petrol automatic :

1. I have already stretched my budget more by a lakh and since the price difference between the two cars is very minimal, i thought i can benefit from lower running cost at least due to lower fuel price of diesel and better fuel efficiency of diesel manual car.

2. I have my dad's Xcent automatic petrol at home which i can use always when ever i anticipate bumper to bumper traffic.

3. I had been hit hard by resale value of my linea petrol before though it was a fully loaded emotion pack manual model and the resale was the reason why i couldn't muster enough finances in time to buy a sedan again last time because of which i went ahead and bought a swift zdi which was my last car which i sold a month back after 5 years.

4. Surprisingly Swift Zdi resale was so much good ( thanks to my good maintenance too) that i am able to give a good up front payment now for verna.

5. I had a talk with second hand car dealer (friend's friend), who said though the resale of automatics are picking up and are far better than what it was a couple of years before, he said it is still not on par with manual especially if it is a petrol automatic as public still have perception that petrol automatics are very low on mileage. He said diesel automatics of vento and skoda have niche buyers at least now and people prefer automatics of hatchbacks now in chennai and not bigger cars.
So i had to make a decision of choosing a diesel manual over auto petrol verna.

Some times life is all about compromises. My heart still longs for automatic but have to give into what my brain says this time. But hey Diesel verna SxO too is a good car and there is always a next car after verna. Hopefully if by then if the craze picks up enough ill let my heart rule over my brain next time

Last edited by drashkum : 24th August 2017 at 13:06.
drashkum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 13:03   #600
BHPian

My reason for buying diesel cars is very simple
Lets say a car is offered with 2 petrol engine options with a regular one and other powerful and much more fun to drive engine with a turbo charger with much more torque available from low down and midrange (which is what everyone uses most of the times) and not needing to revv it and work hard to extract the power , i will most definitely go with the latter while happily paying a lakh for the performance offered.

Now if that engine runs on a cheaper fuel (Diesel) , and even with all that performance offers significantly more fuel economy and keeps your day to day costs low , and even when selling you will fetch significantly more money than petrol ones (atleast 60k - 1 lakh more) , it makes a highly irresistible deal and the reason most cars i and my near family and friends all own diesel cars.
I was even willing to pay more if it was not offering higher fuel economy and it running on a cheaper fuel and sell for more money, but since it does all that , it is a no brainer for me.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks