Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2017, 13:30   #676
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

He made pretty tall claims about the verna in this review...even touting the diesel as best driver's car in this segment. Waiting for the team-bhp official review to confirm this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
i always liked there reviews besides the jokes
I think he was trying to compensate for his rather serious and un-amusing looks with jokes. Someone needs to provide him feedback soon to stick to what he does best and remind him that humor isn't his forte...
arit.mondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 14:36   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arit.mondal View Post
He made pretty tall claims about the verna in this review...even touting the diesel as best driver's car in this segment. Waiting for the team-bhp official review to confirm this.

I think he was trying to compensate for his rather serious and un-amusing looks with jokes. Someone needs to provide him feedback soon to stick to what he does best and remind him that humor isn't his forte...
The Diesel is sure fun to drive, my problem is that in verna you feel like you are driving a hatch and not a sedan like i do in my linea, the big feeling is missing inside.

Agreed on the humor front
Old 27th August 2017, 15:43   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
The Diesel is sure fun to drive, my problem is that in verna you feel like you are driving a hatch and not a sedan like i do in my linea, the big feeling is missing inside.

Agreed on the humor front
You definitely cannot compare Linea with any other car. Being one of the first few owners of a Flamenco red linea emotion pack i can vouch that the car when compared this next gen verna will be 200kgs more heavy (Does anyone know what's the kerb weight of next gen verna? Its not printed on the brochure) and coupled with beautifully weighted steering and picture perfect precise handling is definitely a class apart in giving a sheer big car experience. If only FCA india had made the ownership experience a pleasant one and coupled with timely updates it would have garnered more sales. The big sedanish feel comes from weight, tractability and most importantly rear seat space, the last one being a bit less definitely in new verna when compared to rivals like City which is more caaar per car like sunny. Even though i have booked a diesel SxO manual, the rear seat experience did give me a slight claustrophobic feel. But the game has shifted to the front seats now.

Having said that when linea was launched it had more features, bells and whistles like blue and me, follow me lamps, voice assist just like the new verna now which offers many segment first features which makes it more value for money just like the linea when it was launched.

I had always felt the 1.4 Fire and 1.3 MJD was a tad underpowered for such a heavy car. Atleast hyundai took a bold step in skipping the 1.4 versions of hyundai mills in new gen verna

Last edited by drashkum : 27th August 2017 at 15:56.
drashkum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 17:48   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

Did anyone notice the huge puff of black smoke under heavy acceleration at around 7.52 to 7.55 in the video? It's common for diesel motor but for a new car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasKinger View Post
Autocar India's review of the Verna is out too:
I had checked the car yesterday. The rear leg room is at a premium and if you sit upfront, your head will touch the roof. It does look like a mini elantra but the chrome accents are awful especially the ones that surround the fogs. Luckily the rear chrome strip on the boot is now an accessory and not part of the car. They have got it right with the rear styling but I still cant digest the front but sadly that now the new design language and will be carried forward to the new i20 as well. Overall, a good package and hope they got it right with the suspension and rear seat comfort.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th August 2017 at 21:48. Reason: Removing youtube URL from quoted post (repetition).
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 18:10   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I had checked the car yesterday.

Naveen thanks, all reviews are gaga over the new touchscreen head unit, nobody seems to mention the speaker quality. Mark Knofler is as important to me as the steering feedback. Would you be able comment on the sound quality?

I just have a feeling that at this price point, same engines and gearbox as the Elantra and almost the same feature set( except in the diesel auto SX+) it time to bid adieu to the Elantra.

Is the Elantra still in a CKD form or will Hyundai be able to make in India ?
Old 27th August 2017, 18:27   #681
Senior - BHPian

The new Verna is clearly being marketed as a self driven car with the bigger engines made standard, updated handling, plethora of options on the steering wheel, impressive HU, cooled front seats etc.
If you really value rear seat headroom (which is bound to happen due to the fast back like design) and rear bottle holders over the stuff that's given in the front part of the cabin, you really love your chauffeur !!
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 18:28   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Naveen thanks, all reviews are gaga over the new touchscreen head unit, nobody seems to mention the speaker quality. Mark Knofler is as important to me as the steering feedback. Would you be able comment on the sound quality?
The AVN is just like any other Hyundai (Elantra, Tucson). The Creta that I am driving got the older version. The speaker quality is good but I feel the one seen in Ford is always better. This provides a good level of treble but bass is just ok. It's in the same league as the ones in the Creta and normal folks like me should be happy with the current kit whereas the speakers in the Grand i10 is flat and not pretty good. Overall a pretty good one I would say.
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 20:33   #683
BHPian

Quote:

I just have a feeling that at this price point, same engines and gearbox as the Elantra and almost the same feature set( except in the diesel auto SX+) it time to bid adieu to the Elantra.

I did check out the sound system by listening to FM radio. The quality of sound is good, above average, but not pathbreaking. It is better than a average sound systems in car but clearly lacked bass. Shriller tones are good, so are the details. I did not get to tweak the settings to see if it improved the tones and bass. But the sound dampening was top notch.
Old 27th August 2017, 20:34   #684
BHPian

Autoportal has come out with their review of 2017 Verna. According to them the diesel motor is the more punchier one, legroom at rear is not in the league of rivals, handling has improved and the car is loaded with features. You can see the automatic trunk demo as well. Thankfully there is boot cladding as well. He sums up the review by saying that one should not see this car as a city or ciaz rival, but as a mini Elantra. That's some high praise!!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th August 2017 at 21:24. Reason: Removing youtube URL; already posted on the previous page.
Old 27th August 2017, 22:30   #685
Senior - BHPian

It's a new Car, so it's a common thing for it to be praised over its older rivals.

But, having said that, the New Verna is strikingly Impressive Car. It has stepped up and now is worthy choice for buyers. While the Improved Ride & Handling is a welcome change, the other strengths like Good Engines, Excellent Equipment List, Good After sales have remained. Good that Hyundai has managed to correct the negatives to an extent while keeping the positives intact.

But, the thing that disappointed me is the Space (Front & Rear). This being a Sedan, Hyundai has definitely spoiled my interest. The sloping roofline is terrible for me, while I was checking the rear seat, the roof part hit my head, it was a nasty blow.

The rear seat is too low & the squab is both narrow & inclined. The backrest angle is upright, the Headroom is not enough for me (Height - 6'2"). Shorter People won't complain though. Although I don't use backseat much, but I don't want criticism from family members regarding the same.

If I have to summarise the Verna (New) & compare it against Old Verna & Rivals (Rapid D & City D) which we have currently. Verna was sold in 2015.

The New Verna is very good package, I would definitely pick the Rapid for its Dynamics & Engine Performance, and City for its Spacious & Airy Cabin, Excellent FE (Diesel) & Good After sales. The Petrol is also very good & is the one to go for in City. Verna on the other hand offers a reliable Diesel Automatic as option. While I wish Hyundai had offered 6 Airbags on Diesel SX+ AT, the fact that there is no top end in Diesel Automatic comes as a big disappointment.

Design & Styling - Verna
Engine & Performance - Rapid
Drivability & Fuel Efficiency - City
Ride & Handling - Rapid
Seats & Ergonomics - City
Space & Comfort - City
Equipment List - Verna
Build Quality - Rapid
Lastly, After sales - 1. City, 2. Verna, 3. Rapid (Based on Experience).
CarguyNish is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 01:59   #686
e46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arit.mondal View Post
may you be that someone. cracking jokes, "if done by SVP or Hoarmazd or Bd'Souza, be fine or else its not his forte" might not be the general feeling. take humor as it comes.
Old 28th August 2017, 07:53   #687
BHPian

Quote:
I am talking about the Fluidic Verna. My friend's car was bought in 2013 December and it doesn't have rear bottle holders. It's the 1.6 CRDI SX variant.
Oops, sorry my bad. The Verna 4S has bottle holders in all 4 doors. Don't have a picture of them as of now, but I assure you, they are there.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 11:44   #688
BHPian

Quote:
The Elantra is still a CKD and considering the low volumes in the Executive segment it makes no sense to locally manufacture a low selling model.

Plus to add to it, sedan are overall on a decline due to the love for SUVs
Old 28th August 2017, 12:09   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
The Elantra is still a CKD and considering the low volumes in the Executive segment it makes no sense to locally manufacture a low selling model.

Plus to add to it, sedan are overall on a decline due to the love for SUVs
Motown has touted the linea 125s petrol as a better alternative to Verna petrol, below is the review

I am planing to go for Elantra instead, i don't like interiors of Verna and the rear space is cramped, not like i will use the rear space often but it matters when you have family/friends over. I wonder why does hyundai's come with such small boot?

Last edited by Mindgrinder : 28th August 2017 at 12:14.
Old 28th August 2017, 12:33   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

PowerDrift Video Review :

Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed