Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2017, 11:24   #871
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishpodar View Post
What is the experience of driving a Torque Converter auto on steep inclines without Hill start assist. (Wouldnt the car roll back upon start).
I have been driving i10 Automatic (4 speed Torque Converter auto) since 2010 and in my experience, while the engine is running, the car does not roll back immediately. It holds for few seconds which is sufficient enough to shift from brake to accelerator pedal. There is no need to use hand brake on inclines.

Last edited by Simhi : 12th September 2017 at 11:25.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 11:30   #872
BHPian

Quote:

I did not find the Hill Start Assist feature in the brochure. Now wouldn't this be a very important feature that is missing.
What is the experience of driving a Torque Converter auto on steep inclines without Hill start assist. (Wouldnt the car roll back upon start).
Does that mean I would really have to work hard with the hand brakes ?
TC Auto cars do not need Hill Start Assist from what I understand. Practically speaking, and I speak this from the experience of driving the new Diesel Auto Verna which I took delivery of in the previous week, the car stays put on an incline for several seconds. I do not know the exact number of seconds because it stayed put for at-least 4-5 seconds after I took the foot off the brake on an incline and then I had to put the car in Reverse since there was a car coming from the opposite side and the lane was quite small. I was quite impressed with that.
pathik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 11:40   #873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did not find the Hill Start Assist feature in the brochure. Now wouldn't this be a very important feature that is missing.
Does that mean I would really have to work hard with the hand brakes ?

Isnt this a big miss by Hyundai

Appreciate the advise of the forum members.. and guidance to any articles on how to drive an auto on inclines.
Not required for TC automatic gearboxes. Very much needed for both AMT and DSG gearboxes.

Reason because the TC gearboxes use fluids to dissipate the friction in the clutch. So once you slot it into 'D' on an incline, the gearbox will actually in first and pushing against the brakes with full torque.

I have a humble Xcent AT with the 1.2 petrol automatic and haven't felt the need for HSA even on steep inclines.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 13:04   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Reason because the TC gearboxes use fluids to dissipate the friction in the clutch. So once you slot it into 'D' on an incline, the gearbox will actually in first and pushing against the brakes with full torque.
Completely agree. HSA theoretically should assist you for not more than 2-3 seconds after which the driver should take over. But vehicles equipped with TC allow you longer times to take control on inclines. A lot of TC vehicles in India (Hyundai being the biggest user across it range) falsely market their products as HSA equipped, but it is just the TC which doubles up on an incline. I drive a Crdi Elantra with TC gear box and the car doesnt slip on an incline even when I dont use th ebrake for several seconds. But that isnt an HSA as advertised!

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 12th September 2017 at 13:05. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 12th September 2017, 13:46   #875
BHPian

Has anyone who has taken delivery of the new Verna been able to successfully find seat covers in the market? I am looking for one and from what I figure, since it's a new car, the seat covers are not yet available.
Old 12th September 2017, 17:13   #876

Hi everyone.So I've been asking around and visiting various dealerships in Hyderabad and the funny part is they still don't have a petrol test drive vehicle. the SAs keep telling me to go ahead and book and later do a test drive. Is this practical? Also require a lot of follow up with dealerships, I guess because of heavy demand of Verna. Can anyone suggest a good dealership in Hyderabad with a known SA.
Old 12th September 2017, 18:07   #877
BHPian

Hows the Automatic gearbox of the diesel version?
Old 12th September 2017, 18:16   #878
Team-BHP Support

Saw a brand new Verna inside the Manyata Tech Park campus today at Bangalore - my first encounter with the car.

Designwise - didn't really stand out. Looks like a smaller Elantra, but not sexy as it misses out on the length of the bigger sibling. But the colour - Flame Orange - Now that was a big headturner! Good to see such a bold colour on offer from Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.olympus View Post
Hows the Automatic gearbox of the diesel version?
It's a six speed TC box - similar to the Creta and Elantra.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 19:47   #879
BHPian

One of my colleagues bought a brown Verna. Saw it in our parking today, as he drove away. Looked 'classy'. It did not have a number on it, just a sticker saying - REGISTERED.
It was the petrol top end manual (peaked into his car, intruding his privacy, but I couldn't control myself).
And I agree with Crazy Driver, it looks like a short Elantra.

Let me see if I can make friends with him and get a quick test drive later this week. Target Acquired !
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 00:26   #880
BHPian

I got the delivery of my white petrol SX (O) this evening. The dealer gave the delivery on temp registration as they need to clear existing stock so as to not charge the additional cess. I am yet to check out the car properly as I just drove back home and parked it. Few things I noticed -
1. Being used to driving the ecoboost, this is a welcome change in city driving conditions. The lower end is much more punchy although I distinctly remember the diesel to be even better when I took a test drive.
2. Sheet metal is much sturdier than a Maruti but quite light if I compare it to the ecosport.
3. The width is about same as the ecosport (real world footprint you may say). In fact it has taken up lesser parking space than the ecosport.
4. The touch screen avn is responsive and sounds okay. To me the ecosport probably had better set of speakers.
5. Mapmyindia is pre installed and the maps are loaded using a SD card.
6. I got the Hankook tires.
7. There is sensor only on the driver side for the keyless entry. If you are at the other side you need to use the button on the key.
8. Auto dimming works well and this is something I really feel is a boon when most of the traffic drives with their high beams on.
9. Tail lights look really cool. A lot of folks were staring as we passed by.
10. Hyundai is really cheap when it comes to giving you a proper folder to store the manuals and other papers. All they give is a transparent plastic folder. Even maruti gives you a proper leatherette folder to store your stuffs.
11. The dealership did not have the floor mats for verna and hence gave me the ones that come for i20. This is the carpet type mat that was given foc.

Will take some pictures tomorrow and post here.
I have already spoken to Joseph about getting a ceramic coating done. Is it worth the price?

P. S Did any of you who took delivery got a spare set of bulbs and fuses?
Dhrubo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 01:07   #881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshwiz07 View Post
i saw a sienna brown Verna in display Trident Hyundai KR Puram, you could check out there.
Thanks rameshwiz07, I went to KR Puram showroom to take a look at the Sienna Brown. The colour didn't particularly excite me but I have feeling this is the colour I will be most likely opting for. Flame Orange is catchy, at the same time too flashy for my taste, however Wife loves it. My present car is Silver and it is all too common, so mind is longing for a change. Attaching some photos I took today from different angles, hope it gives a clear idea to prospective buyers. I think the photos taken from rear quarter angles reproduce the colour most accurately on screen.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img_8670.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img_8671.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img_8672.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img_8673.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img_8676.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img_8677.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img_8678.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img_8679.jpg

I also did a short test drive in the service road (Diesel AT) and tried the manual gear shift (believe it is called tiptronic?). It was a nice feeling and the acceleration was good too except at times when the engine just growled during shifts before responding to throttle input. I think it happened when shifting with the accelerator pedal depressed, however due to shortage of time I didn't try to clearly figure out what I was doing wrong.
So, as in the case of manual transmission, is it required to take foot off the accelerator while manually shifting gears in an automatic gearbox in manual mode?
Another observation is about rear seat leg room, SX+ do not have the hard plastic casing behind front seats and hence feels a bit more spacious compared to SX(O). I am 5'8" and even with the front seat fully pushed back, the front seat didn't touch my knee. However it was uncomfortable to get in/out and no space to stretch. In SX(O) the hard plastic was touching my knees.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img_8682.jpg

Now with the front seats set at a comfortable position...

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img_8683.jpg

there was about 5 to 6 inches legroom available in the rear seat.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img_8685.jpg

Quote:
these guys have not yet got RTO approvals for registration
That seems to be true based on the updates I am hearing from SA as well other posters from Bangalore in this thread. The sad part is they are not allowing long test drives because the vehicle is not registered.

Can someone please comment if RTO registration is really a constraint in allowing long test drives or should I escalate it to someone higher up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
It definitely showed me the Arkamys Sound options in Setup, but it was disabled when I was playing Radio (FM). I am wondering if it's only supported when playing media from AUX / USB etc.
Now that you got the vehicle with you, did you try this out again? Even I observed the Arkamys Sound option was not available while playing Radio as well as streaming from mobile. Unfortunately didn't have the USB drive handy to test it out today in SX+. During my earlier testing with USB drive in SX(O) the option was available from Sound Settings.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img_8681.jpg
X-Factor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 09:38   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
So, as in the case of manual transmission, is it required to take foot off the accelerator while manually shifting gears in an automatic gearbox in manual mode?
I don't think so. You should be able to shift gears without lifting your foot off the accelerator. Though I have noticed that you can't shift to a higher or lower gear in manual mode if the Car thinks that the resultant RPM after the gear shift will fall beyond its acceptable level. It's a little disappointing since I wanted to try putting the car in a higher gear on low speeds but it wouldn't let me.

Quote:
Now that you got the vehicle with you, did you try this out again? Even I observed the Arkamys Sound option was not available while playing Radio as well as streaming from mobile. Unfortunately didn't have the USB drive handy to test it out today in SX+. During my earlier testing with USB drive in SX(O) the option was available from Sound Settings.
Yes Arkamys sound effects work when playing media other than Radio. But I don't find it too great. I have kept it on the default mode(its called Natural I think)
pathik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 12:10   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo View Post
I have already spoken to Joseph about getting a ceramic coating done. Is it worth the price?

P. S Did any of you who took delivery got a spare set of bulbs and fuses?
Congrats on the new ride.
I didn't get a spare set of bulbs and fuses with the car. Will check again.

On the ceramic coating. May I know how much was quoted as cost. I enquired with few people here. It costs a bomb. One dealer quoted 35k for a normal quote and other 60k for ultimate protection and car has to be at workshop for 4 days minimum. I basically think that its all a eyewash. If it is below 20k i may opt for it. So kindly let me know.
Old 13th September 2017, 12:38   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo View Post
I got the delivery of my white petrol SX (O) this evening.

Congrats !!

on the Ceramic coating - if you would be using this car in the city all the time, where nicks and scratches are bound to happen, then perhaps ceramic coating is not the best choice.
Anyway we can continue the discussion on the detailing thread.
Old 13th September 2017, 12:43   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Congrats !!

on the Ceramic coating - if you would be using this car in the city all the time, where nicks and scratches are bound to happen, then perhaps ceramic coating is not the best choice.
Anyway we can continue the discussion on the detailing thread.
I will be driving this mostly in city but lesser congested areas. I hardly had any nicks in the last 4 years I used the ecosport. For people on Kolkata I drive around salt lake rajarhat area. Although the traffic situation is worsening here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
Congrats on the new ride.
I didn't get a spare set of bulbs and fuses with the car. Will check again.

On the ceramic coating. May I know how much was quoted as cost. I enquired with few people here. It costs a bomb. One dealer quoted 35k for a normal quote and other 60k for ultimate protection and car has to be at workshop for 4 days minimum. I basically think that its all a eyewash. If it is below 20k i may opt for it. So kindly let me know.
Thanks! I have got a quote from a t bhp member named Joseph. He runs his own setup I presume and is not extravagantly expensive. He quoted me 14k for the new car along with a free maintenance after 6 months. Now it seems to be way cheaper than your numbers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks