Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2017, 01:36   #901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
You seem to be an exception rather than the norm. Also it's very important to clarify if City means bumper to bumper traffic (like in Bangalore or Mumbai) or decently open roads in City because that too makes a big difference. I think it's best if people can give the average trip speed(from MID) along with the mileage numbers since that would clearly tell what kind of roads the car was driven on when it achieved those numbers.

Not an exception. I have 2014 Verna 1.4 Diesel and it gives me around 16 in bumper to bumper city drive and highway it easily touches 24 km/l and has already touched 90k km. On the other hand, my 2013 i20 diesel gives 17.5 in city bumper to bumper all are checked tank full to tank full, touched 70k kms as well
Old 14th September 2017, 02:54   #902
Senior - BHPian

My 2013 Verna SX(O) CRDi MT has consistently given me between 14 to 16 kmpl in city traffic (average speed about 20 to 25 kmph, in Madras and Hyderabad). My Highway mileage averages at 17kmpl but that's only because I'm hard footed, and love to watch those 126 horses gallop in the open road - I did manage 24kmpl once though.

Mileage is by and large a product of how well you drive - I've managed 11kmpl on the same city roads too. The car can chug along at 1100 RPM till 3rd gear and still pull (though a bit slowly) without lugging the engine. 1100 RPM to 1500 RPM seems to be it's efficiency range. 1900 RPM to 3500 RPM in any gear is sheer madness, and I'm not able to convince myself to buy a new car after 4.5 years and 80,000 in spite of half heartedly trying to sell the car twice.

My service costs have always been roughly about 1700 for oil, 300 for oil filter, 300 for air filter, 2000 for Diesel filter every 10k KM (plus the paid service cost - I think another 1000). It's not crossed 7,000 bucks. Of course, the service centre would want to sell snake oil (decarbonizing, injector cleaning, etc.) that I reject outright - if its not in the periodic service table in the manual, I won't let them do it.

Recently, my AC condenser coil (behind the dashboard) failed - the part was 2,400 and the labour for removing and refitting the entire front dashboard was 3,500 (MASS charged 8000+ for a friend's Swift 3 years ago). The front bumper is about 2000 bucks and painting cost is 2500 to 3000. If this is not a cost effective car, I don't know what is. I can find my service bills if anyone has a doubt - the costliest part I changed was the driver side ORVM, came to a heart wrenching 8,000 bucks for the electric folding model (it was half that without the electric folding!).

The new Verna CRDi should do better mileage than the previous gen considering the improvements to low end torque and the claimed friction reduction. And if Hyundai keeps the parts cost low, it's definitely the most cost effective C Segment car out there - as long as you don't get fleeced.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 14th September 2017 at 03:07.
ph03n!x is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 08:21   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo View Post

Thanks! I have got a quote from a t bhp member named Joseph. He runs his own setup I presume and is not extravagantly expensive. He quoted me 14k for the new car along with a free maintenance after 6 months. Now it seems to be way cheaper than your numbers.
It actually depends on the package here. Have enclosed a screenshot from one of my very good friend's brother who does it here in chennai.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1505357278759.jpg

I am planning to get the silver package done. He has invited me to see the results in the present car he is coating on friday. He does only one car per sitting which takes about 3 to 4 days.

There is a modesta glass coating in chennai. They quoted me 35k and 60k with which i can actually repaint the car.
drashkum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 09:30   #904
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo View Post
Thanks! I have got a quote from a t bhp member named Joseph. He runs his own setup I presume and is not extravagantly expensive. He quoted me 14k for the new car along with a free maintenance after 6 months. Now it seems to be way cheaper than your numbers.
Joseph will do a good job, saying this from experience. There is a thread as well on TBhp about his work.
Old 14th September 2017, 11:40   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
It actually depends on the package here. Have enclosed a screenshot from one of my very good friend's brother who does it here in chennai...

He will need some indoor space to get the work done so most probably we will do it in a workshop. I have not yet enquired about the total duration but I presume it won't be more than a day. I will check with him in details about what is covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Joseph will do a good job, saying this from experience. There is a thread as well on TBhp about his work.
Thanks for the recommendation. I got his reference from the same thread as well. I am sure about taking his services , just wanted an opinion on ceramic coating. What services did you opt for?
Old 14th September 2017, 12:33   #906
BHPian

How do we get the Auto Link to work? I have connected the phone and gone through the Bluetooth, Communication and Module Software update diagnosis successfully but the driving information is not getting updated on the iOS app.
Old 14th September 2017, 14:45   #907
BHPian

Quite a lot information about the mileage figures of Hyundai cars, particularly Verna in the last couple of pages. Thanks to all who responded kindly and busted some myths

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
My 2013 Verna SX(O) CRDi MT has consistently given me between 14 to 16 kmpl in city traffic (average speed about 20 to 25 kmph, in Madras and Hyderabad). My Highway mileage averages at 17kmpl but that's only because I'm hard footed, and love to watch those 126 horses gallop in the open road - I did manage 24kmpl once though.
I will call you phoenix, hope that is what you meant. But Brother, what an informative and reassuring post for prospective buyers including me. In one single post you have answered almost all the doubts for someone new to Hyundai.

Quote:
I'm not able to convince myself to buy a new car after 4.5 years and 80,000 in spite of half heartedly trying to sell the car twice.
Off topic- probably you should try Vento/Rapid if you are not scared about their A.S.S (which is definitely improving for good). The only time I have driven a Verna (the Fluidic that came with diamond cut alloys, I guess 2012 or 13 model) was a trip to and fro Bangalore Airport, a stretch of about 100KMs which is a fair mix of City and Highway conditions. Having driven Rapid for about 3 years at that time, I didn't find Verna driving experience and performance that impressive although it had the powerful engine on paper. Now, after about 6 years with Rapid I was looking for an AT and a change in brand and Verna Diesel seems to me the next worthy contender in C segment. I would have probably not considered Verna had it not been for the 5th Gen and the improvements it brings along in engine tuning, transmission and ride & handling department. The additional features, if any, will be a bonus. I hope the new Verna treats me as good as the Rapid did

Quote:
My service costs have always been roughly about 1700 for oil, 300 for oil filter, 300 for air filter, 2000 for Diesel filter every 10k KM (plus the paid service cost - I think another 1000). It's not crossed 7,000 bucks.
Contrary to general perception, Skoda annual service cost has never crossed 10K for me in the past 5 services unless there is a part replacement. Synthetic engine oil alone costs 3.5 to 4K in this 10K. I think cost of spare parts and labour are comparatively higher in Skoda. By the time a Hyundai clocks 75K KMs it would have undergone 7 annual services and Skoda would have undergone only 5, so the cost of service works out almost same for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
There is a modesta glass coating in chennai. They quoted me 35k and 60k with which i can actually repaint the car.
Infact for 60K you can do full body paint twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Can you please share the link to that thread?

Last edited by Eddy : 14th September 2017 at 15:12.
X-Factor is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th September 2017, 21:04   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post

Can you please share the link to that thread?
Here is the link to thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...g-kolkata.html
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 21:41   #909
BHPian

Quote:
That's the problem unfortunately, it's a new colour and not available in any Hyundai models other than Verna. Trying to figure out if any dealer in Bangalore has it on display or stock.
Did you book your car from Trident Hyundai Hosur?
Today the SA called me and asked me to keep payment ready and no PDI possible. He will just be able to share the car engine and chassis number since price protection requires very quick registration.
Is it normal for newly launched cars not to be available for PDI before the full payment?
Old 14th September 2017, 22:00   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arit.mondal View Post
Did you book your car from Trident Hyundai Hosur?
Today the SA called me and asked me to keep payment ready and no PDI possible. He will just be able to share the car engine and chassis number since price protection requires very quick registration.
Is it normal for newly launched cars not to be available for PDI before the full payment?
Yes, I booked from Trident Hosur Road but since I changed booking from manual to automatic I am back on the waiting list. If the vehicle is available in their yard they shouldn't have any problem allowing PDI, but I don't think a vehicle will be alloted to you without completing the loan procedure or any other mode of payment that you choose. Despite that if they are not allowing is probably because they are yet to get vehicle in stock.
Old 15th September 2017, 04:53   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Off topic- probably you should try Vento/Rapid if you are not scared about their A.S.S (which is definitely improving for good). The only time I have driven a Verna (the Fluidic that came with diamond cut alloys, I guess 2012 or 13 model) was a trip to and fro Bangalore Airport, a stretch of about 100KMs which is a fair mix of City and Highway conditions. Having driven Rapid for about 3 years at that time, I didn't find Verna driving experience and performance that impressive although it had the powerful engine on paper. Now, after about 6 years with Rapid I was looking for an AT and a change in brand and Verna Diesel seems to me the next worthy contender in C segment. I would have probably not considered Verna had it not been for the 5th Gen and the improvements it brings along in engine tuning, transmission and ride & handling department. The additional features, if any, will be a bonus. I hope the new Verna treats me as good as the Rapid did
The Verna that I drive is no great handler. It's not in the leagues of Vento/ Rapid twins or Fiesta. But what it is, is a predictable car once you've done some road with her. You'll know FOR SURE the limits of the car in curves and patchy stretches even before the front tire touches them if you are a keen driver. You'll know how much the rear wheels will step out by and if you need course correction EVEN BEFORE you go into that corner. With this car, the fun is not in the corners, but in coming out of it. Like they say, with great power comes great responsibility - and my 2013 model year demands it.

If i want a handler, I'll pick the Linea any day over all the cars available under 20 lakhs - that's is THE benchmark. Give me a way to plonk the Hyundai 1.6 CRDi in the Linea and I'm sold But as a package, my Verna still is a good compromise.

The cost of maintenance shouldn't just be regular service - in my case I had 3 different occasions of suicidal dogs (literally) break my front bumper. They walked unscathed, but I took a hit of about 5k - had it been any other car, do the math! Like I said, AC Condensor and front RH lower arm replacement both together costed me under 9k.

I'll say this on ride and handling of the new generation Verna (drove a friend's SX (O) AT Petrol extensively) - it's well sorted, way better than my 2013 model. It's not there with Vento or Fiesta, nowhere near Linea. But it is a car that'll not complain over uneven patches, will not expect the driver to be prepared for it's quirks, will insulate the cabin from what the suspension is doing. It's definitely on par, if not better than its direct competitors - Ciaz and City - in the handling. Ride, it was always better.

As for the guy who's used to Rapid that you are, don't expect this car to meet your expectations in a couple of 100 KM- something almost all reviews and test drive miss is - a modern Hyundai Diesel will sing your tune only from about 10,000 to 15,000 KM. That's when the engine opens up to your challenge, that's when you'll have spent time enough to tango with the car.

Like I said, I'm not able to give my car up - even when a Jetta was in my radar. Not because the Jetta was inferior in any way, but because I feel it isn't that big an upgrade, not yet. Own one for 5 years, it'll spoil you for options!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 15th September 2017 at 04:55.
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 11:06   #912
Senior - BHPian

Dad had bought the Eon 800 for mileage, I think claim was between 18-20, but gets just 9KMPL in city. In my circle many own Hyundai petrols and none cross 10KMPL. No myths there buddy!

So right now, it seems like Diesels are the ones to go for in case mileage is a priority. But, so many question marks on the fuel type right now! And we are seriously looking to buy a car in the coming festival season.

Original quote: Quite a lot information about the mileage figures of Hyundai cars, particularly Verna. Thanks to all who responded kindly and busted some myths
Old 15th September 2017, 11:17   #913
BHPian

I had been to Advaith Hyundai's Graphite service center today morning to drop off my car for some repair work. Saw a brown New Verna parked there. The SA told me it was for display.
So while my car was being attended to, I took the opportunity to explore the New Verna.

Interiors
The dashboard design is simpler than the outgoing car. The material quality is good on the inside. The sunroof brings in a lot of natural light and is a 'nice to have' feature in my list. The sliding central armrest for the driver is wide and has good travel as well as storage.
The glove-box looks a tad bigger than the outgoing car. The area to keep the phone below the ACC is much wide now. In my car, my 5.5 inch phone does not fit horizontally. If I place it longitudinally, as small part of its base sticks out. In the New Verna, the phone fit well horizontally.
There are two charging points up front (one is USB) and one for the rear passenger as well. The outgoing car has only one 12V charging point.

Earlier car has all beige seats. The New Verna has a lot of black and some beige-grey mixed. Even though maintaining my car's beige interiors is a headache, I still prefer the beige interiors for the airy and luxury feel they give (completely personal opinion).

The seat height adjustment is much better, with the entire seat base moving up and down. In the outgoing car, only the front of the seat base move up and down. It was a gimmicky seat height adjustment. Good thing Hyundai corrected it now.
Steering is chunky and has more buttons than my car. The New Verna has analog fuel and temperature gauges while the outgoing car had digital display showing the temperature and fuel. The MID is definitely much more fancy (in the SX-O variant at least). It shows 3-D displays of doors open etc.

I found the old car's foot rest near the clutch to be better angled compared to the New Verna. Door pockets are similar sized as earlier and very useful.

Really liked the 6th gear added to the manual petrol as well. The old car does around 110kmph in 5th gear with the engine spinning at 3000 rpm. I always wished to have a 6th gear to reduce the engine rpm while cruising. Should be a boon on the highways.

Moving to the back seat, the recline angle is good. Leg room is definitely improved from previous Gen but it is no where in the league of its main rivals, the City and Ciaz.
The rear AC vents are a welcome addition. One surprise for me was that my head touched the roof while sitting in the rear seat. I am 6 feet tall. In my car, I can sit without my head touching the roof. In fact, my head touched the roof in the City and Ciaz as well. Only in the Vento and old Verna was I able to sit without touching the roof. I think this change is because of Hyundai changing the angle of the back seat base, which has caused the headroom at the rear to decrease.

The boot seemed similar to my car, could not make out where are the additional 20 odd liters. Anyway, I am pretty happy with the boot capacity of my car, so the new one should not be any different.

Exterior
Much has already been said about the exteriors in this thread so I would keep my observations short.
The headlights with DRLs look much better. The grill with chrome actually looks good.
Alloys could have been better, rather than copying Creta's alloys. I find the diamond cut alloys of previous generation better.

Rear tail lamps are the star for me in the exterior.

No test drive was allowed in the Service Center. Need to visit the showroom for it, so no driving comparison. Hope the perspective of an existing owner of Verna 4S is useful to prospective buyers.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 15th September 2017 at 11:24.
drive2eternity is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 11:48   #914
BHPian

Dear Verna Owners,

Had few questions as I am thinking of a new car to replace my astar for highway drives. Can the back seat of verna support the following combination?

1.) 1 adult + 1 baby seat + 1 booster seat
2.) 1 adult + 2 baby seats

How is the under-thigh support for rear passengers?

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 15th September 2017, 12:28   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
I had been to Advaith Hyundai's Graphite service center today morning to drop off my car for some repair work. .
I agree with you on the interiors. The 4s was much more posh. Also as I had mentioned earlier, the 7 inch screen looked pretty small for the size. The Digipad in my city is also 7 inch but looks much bigger, maybe because of the piano finish around it.

On a different note you were practically next door to my house.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks