Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2017, 23:36   #961
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

I did the PDI of my Hyundai Verna Fiery Red SX (O) today at Advaith Hyundai. The vehicle is going to be registered on Wednesday and we plan to take delivery on Friday or Saturday.

Everything was fine with just 8 km on the odometer. I observed that the coolant was not fully filled and they told me that they will top it up during the PDI before delivery that they do.

The tyres are Hankook and not Bridgestone. The Bridgestone tyres on my Ritz have been awesome for 4.5 years without any problems - so hoping that Hankook will turn out to be an unknown angel

Last edited by bhpfaninblr : 7th October 2017 at 23:53.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 10:42   #962
Distinguished - BHPian

PowerDrift Video Review
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 00:19   #963
BHPian

Did a test drive of the Verna Diesel today. Power delivery is fantastic. To add, I didn't feel much turbo lag at all - the car has sufficient grunt even in the lower rev-range.

The interiors look neat, but don't really impress in any way.

The space management however is completely messed up. The back-seat space is terrible - with the driver seat set to my driving position (I'm 6'+), there is hardly any room left at the rear. This is Verna's Achilles heel.
Old 9th October 2017, 12:06   #964
BHPian

Verna is back to No. 1 spot in the Executive sedan segment clocking 6054 units in Sep'17. The City @ 6010 units and Ciaz @ 5603 units trail behind.

http://www.autopunditz.com/

The mini Elantra looks along with the Sun roof, Ventilated seats and the 6 speed AT are doing the tricks .

Honda should be worried since the price difference between the ZX CVT @ 15.54 lacs and the 1.6 SX Option AT @ 14.79 lacs is 75K. For 75K less, one gets a bigger engine, better gearbox (read as zero rubber band effect), ventilated seats and fresh looks. The pricing is despite Verna losing out the excise benefit due to the 1.6 engine. Shows how much 'premium' Honda charges.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 9th October 2017 at 12:19.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 12:30   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
Did a test drive of the Verna Diesel today. Power delivery is fantastic. To add, I didn't feel much turbo lag at all - the car has sufficient grunt even in the lower rev-range.

The interiors look neat, but don't really impress in any way.

The space management however is completely messed up. The back-seat space is terrible - with the driver seat set to my driving position (I'm 6'+), there is hardly any room left at the rear. This is Verna's Achilles heel.
Yes, that's one shortfall of the Verna. But I am surprised that for a 6 foot frame you could not fit behind the drivers seat. I am almost 5'11 and I had no problem with leg room at the rear with the drivers seat adjusted to my height.
Perhaps, you may have set the seat too far back.
Old 9th October 2017, 13:00   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Verna is back to No. 1 spot in the Executive sedan segment clocking 6054 units in Sep'17. The City @ 6010 units and Ciaz @ 5603 units trail behind.

http://www.autopunditz.com/

The mini Elantra looks along with the Sun roof, Ventilated seats and the 6 speed AT are doing the tricks .

Honda should be worried since the price difference between the ZX CVT @ 15.54 lacs and the 1.6 SX Option AT @ 14.79 lacs is 75K. For 75K less, one gets a bigger engine, better gearbox (read as zero rubber band effect), ventilated seats and fresh looks. The pricing is despite Verna losing out the excise benefit due to the 1.6 engine. Shows how much 'premium' Honda charges.
From Honda City point of view you get paddle shifts and very frugal i-Vtec engine . I think City CVT provides much better mileage than Verna . What is mileage for 1.6 SX Option AT?
Old 9th October 2017, 13:09   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
From Honda City point of view you get paddle shifts and very frugal i-Vtec engine . I think City CVT provides much better mileage than Verna . What is mileage for 1.6 SX Option AT?
That may well be true, the ARAI mileage figures are as under:
Verna Petrol Auto/Manual - 15.92/17.70 KMPL
City Petrol CVT - 18.0/17.80 KMPL

So yes, the City does seem more efficient in the auto guise while in manual there is nothing to differentiate. Of course the real life claims will be significantly different.
I got a chance to drive a Maruti Suzuki Baleno CVT last week for around 5-6 KMS in absolutely choc-a-bloc traffic, guess what the figures MID showed: A shocking 7.8 KMPL . The speeds were crawling at best, with the AC set to 23 degrees.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 9th October 2017 at 13:12.
Old 9th October 2017, 13:54   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Yes, that's one shortfall of the Verna. But I am surprised that for a 6 foot frame you could not fit behind the drivers seat. I am almost 5'11 and I had no problem with leg room at the rear with the drivers seat adjusted to my height.
Perhaps, you may have set the seat too far back.
I'm 6'2" actually - I guess the 2-3 inches make all the difference! The point is that with the rear being as cramped as it is, it will be impractical for a lot of people. The hard plastic seat-back in the SX(O) variant only makes it worse, since rear passengers can't bury their knees in the seatback like in other cars.

All in all, I was honestly underwhelmed by the Verna. I really couldn't see myself paying the 2 -3 lakh premium over a Vento / Rapid for this car [ SX(O) Diesel is 16L OTR in Karnataka ].
qaqa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 15:28   #969
BHPian

Does the Hyundai Verna come with anti-rust coating or should we get it done outside?

My Verna SX(O) diesel delivery is on Sunday. It is supposed to get registered today and astrologers told me tomorrow is a bad day for delivery
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 16:32   #970
BHPian

Quote:

So yes, the City does seem more efficient in the auto guise while in manual there is nothing to differentiate. Of course the real life claims will be significantly different.
The case in point here, about the Fuel Efficiency is also due to the following fact:

See the surface area of the tyres in both the vehicles:

Honda City :
Tyre Type & Size : 175/65 R15 84T (S, SV, V), 185/55 R16 83H (VX, ZX)

Hyundai Verna :
Tyre Type & Size : 185/65 R15 Steel (E,EX) 195/55 R16 Alloy {SX. SX(O)}

This aspect definitely impacts the ARAI fuel efficiency of each vehicle.
Old 13th October 2017, 16:43   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Judging by what many ownership reviews of Creta and City have reported, City gives around 12-13 kmpl while Creta gives around 10-11 kmpl. Taking lower figures for both, you save 1.16 Rs/km in Honda City. Transitioning that to the ex-showroom price difference of 1.1 lakhs, the difference comes down in 1 lakh kms. For that you get some extra space, paddle shifters and CVT instead of Torque converters.

Verna would be my pick of choice for diesels, but for petrol, Honda City will continue to be on top unless running is really low.
Old 13th October 2017, 20:14   #972
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
It is very early to declare the Verna as the leader already.

We must remember that the Honda City was launched nearly 9 months back and Ciaz shifted to nexa about 7 months back, whereas the Verna came in just a month back. So if you see, Verna even in it's honeymoon period could sell only 43 more cars compared to the 9 month old City and 451 more than the Ciaz.

New launches will always garner more sales/dispatches, Honda City Feb '17 sales were 6138 and this was at a time when people were waiting for GST to come in and were keeping their purchases on hold.

Last edited by OSH : 13th October 2017 at 20:15.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 23:01   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Judging by what many ownership reviews of Creta and City have reported, City gives around 12-13 kmpl while Creta gives around 10-11 kmpl. Taking lower figures for both, you save 1.16 Rs/km in Honda City. Transitioning that to the ex-showroom price difference of 1.1 lakhs, the difference comes down in 1 lakh kms. For that you get some extra space, paddle shifters and CVT instead of Torque converters.

Verna would be my pick of choice for diesels, but for petrol, Honda City will continue to be on top unless running is really low.
Well, it is not that simple actually. Say a common man takes 5 years to get to cover 1L kms, and this 1.1L if invested rightly will be much more after 5 years. Also, a paltry sum gets saved on insurance every year as bonus.

And CVTs are more smoother that the conventional torque convertors. That apart, there is no real advantage that the CVT brings in actually, I can understand if we were talking about a DCT transmission. But between CVT and TC, there is nothing much to actually decide on which one is better.
Old 14th October 2017, 08:42   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
All in all, I was honestly underwhelmed by the Verna. I really couldn't see myself paying the 2 -3 lakh premium over a Vento / Rapid for this car [ SX(O) Diesel is 16L OTR in Karnataka ].
I had not considered the Rapid and Vento at all before buying the diesel SX(O) at 16 L all cash. I always thought they were more expensive. Looks like they are indeed cheaper. Prospective Verna buyers should definitely consider the Skoda Rapid. Surprising that Hyundai would charge a premium or even similar price as Volkswagen and Skoda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
It is very early to declare the Verna as the leader already.

We must remember that the Honda City was launched nearly 9 months back and Ciaz shifted to nexa about 7 months back, whereas the Verna came in just a month back. So if you see, Verna even in it's honeymoon period could sell only 43 more cars compared to the 9 month old City and 451 more than the Ciaz.
Very good point. I have been very unhappy with the handling of the delivery of my Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX(O) CRDi. Coming from Maruti over the last decade and half, Hyundai service is like 10 notches below Maruti. Sales advisor did not call me for a week after the purchase amount payment. No other sales advisor allotted. They have a feeling that they are giving car for free. I had to call the showroom to figure out that he had left the job. I was told delivery on Friday and now it is slipping to Sunday - no major shakes, however the problem I face is that nobody calls me or informs me and I have to call directly. This is not the kind of experience you look for after signing a cheque for 16 lakhs - sub-standard experience

If Hyundai has to be #1 in C2 segment, they need better customer service. I bought the Verna because 2-3 L extra over Ciaz/S-cross for a bigger engine, cruise control (only S-cross has it, not Ciaz) and 6 airbags seemed like it was worth it. The arrogant attitude of Hyundai which is like they are doing me a favour by taking money from me and selling me a car has left a very bad taste in the mouth.

With this attitude, Hyundai Verna will relegate itself to 3rd behind Ciaz and City and most probably 4th once the new version of Rapid is out. Terrible customer service at Hyundai

Last edited by bhpfaninblr : 14th October 2017 at 08:44.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 17:29   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post

If Hyundai has to be #1 in C2 segment, they need better customer service. I bought the Verna because 2-3 L extra over Ciaz/S-cross for a bigger engine, cruise control (only S-cross has it, not Ciaz) and 6 airbags seemed like it was worth it. The arrogant attitude of Hyundai which is like they are doing me a favour by taking money from me and selling me a car has left a very bad taste in the mouth.

With this attitude, Hyundai Verna will relegate itself to 3rd behind Ciaz and City and most probably 4th once the new version of Rapid is out. Terrible customer service at Hyundai
I have dealt with HMP in the past and their customer service and follow-ups have been supreme. This could be one off case with a specific showroom, I suggest that you report this to Hyundai when they call you for your feedback after purchase
mudhasir is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed