Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2015, 10:41   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Mod Note: Our Verna Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

A search on Zauba reveals that Hyundai India has re-imported the all-new, fifth generation Hyundai Verna back into Indian shores recently.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-untitled.gif

The 2017 Verna had been sent out to Korea, it's parent country, for testing purposes.

The newest iteration of this once-popular C-segment offering will be introduced to the world sometime in 2016, with a worldwide launch scheduled (possibly) in India by late-2016/early-2017. The all-new Verna will come with toned down Fluidic 2.0 styling, offer better ride quality and handling, and should introduce several all-new features to the market.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-nextgeneration2017hyundaiverna.jpg

Hyundai India might be targetting a launch before the 2016 festive season, to cash in. Expect to spot testing mules of this all-new Verna around Hyundai's Sriperumbudur plant and Chennai in the days to come.

Quote:
Import data now suggests that Hyundai’s test mule codenamed ‘RBI’ has been shipped back in the country after a series of tests in South Korea.

The RBI codename refers to the Verna, Hyundai’s C-segment offering which once led the segment, dethroning all of its rivals with ease. But the Verna has now aged and the Korean car maker has given it two successive updates in the past couple of years to keep things going.

With the next generation model around the corner, Hyundai has re-imported the test mule to India after it was tested in Korea at the company’s global headquarters.

The fifth generation Hyundai Verna will be launched in India by 2017 and could very well make its world debut in the sub-continent, just like how the second generation versions of the i10 and i20 did. The car will be thoroughly updated in every way to help it take back the sales crown in the segment.

If the Creta is anything to go by, then the new Verna will boast of dramatically better dynamics than its predecessor. The interior will see many segment first features too and a 6-speed diesel automatic is expected.

Last edited by GTO : 1st December 2017 at 12:44. Reason: Linking to our review :)
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 11:12   #2
BHPian

re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
A search on Zauba reveals that Hyundai India has recently re-imported the all-new, fifth generation Hyundai Verna back into Indian shores.

The 2017 Verna was been sent out to Korea, it's parent country, for testing purposes.

The C-segment offering will be introduced to the world sometime in late 2016, with a worldwide launch scheduled (possibly) in India by early-2017.

Early 2017!!! Looking at the current trend, the Verna brand would have diluted way too much and disappeared into oblivion by then.

It's quite apparent that the Verna has become a laggard in the sales department and that won't change till Hyundai launches the new generation ASAP. But, one thing is for sure, knowing how Hyundai cars look, the features they are equipped with, overall quality and also that their vehicles are losing the infamous nervous handling at high speeds, the new Verna will indeed create new records which I think no other manufacturer will be able to match

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
MetalBuff is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 13:37   #3
BHPian

Wow! I'm sure Hyundai Verna will be back with a bang. It's one of the few vehicles which even after 5 years of its launch, doesn't looks outdated.

P.S - I see a sunroof
namanchaudhary is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 15:28   #4
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful! I hope they introduce it in 2016 itself. A pre-festive season launch next year (just like with the Creta this year) would be ideal for the new Verna.

I want Hyundai to make some big changes. As indicated by the longer wheelbase, we'll most probably see a more spacious rear-seat that has been placed higher, along with rear A/C vents. Like with every new Hyundai, it should ride and handle way better than the model it replaces. The 4S Verna's suspension is a welcome and much needed change from the pre-2014 models. This one should take it to the next level.

I want the next Verna to get a GDi turbo-petrol motor. There is no need for two petrol engines (1.4 & 1.6) to keep the smaller one in the lower tax slab. The 1.0 Kappa T-GDI churning out 120 PS & 172 Nm (mated to 6-speed manual & auto 'boxes) alone is enough, and it does fall under the lower excise slab for < 1.5 litre engines.

Both the 1.4 CRDi & 1.6 CRDi engines with their 6-speed MTs can be carried over, to keep the 90 PS 1.4 U2 engine in the lower excise slab. The larger 1.6 U2, with its class-leading 128 PS (could be further bumped up to 133 PS), should continue to be the only engine in its segment to displace more than 1.5 litres. This can also be mated to the new 7-speed dual clutch automatic transmission, but I wouldn't mind the Creta's 6-speed torque converter unit, either.

6 airbags & ABS (and if possible, ESP, VSM & HAC too) are a must on more than one trim level. Even the base variant needs to get 2 airbags & ABS. Ford have stepped up the game in a big way in the sub-4m C1 segment, and the original pioneer of providing 6 airbags in the affordable segments should not provide anything less in the C2 segment.

The name too can be changed to indicate a break from the previous two generations. Hyundai cannot go back to the Accent moniker (as the Verna is called in North America), because the sub-4m Xcent has taken over that mantle. Solaris is what the Verna is called in some other markets, and it would be a nice name for the next Verna in India too.

Last edited by RSR : 16th August 2015 at 15:39.
RSR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 13:03   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Early 2017!!! Looking at the current trend, the Verna brand would have diluted way too much and disappeared into oblivion by then.
The Fluidic Verna was launched in April 2011. That gives it a 6 year shelf life, if Hyundai is going to bring it in 2017. Nothing out of the ordinary. Except for Honda which replaces the City with an all-new generation every 5 years, all the others follow longer product cycles. Example, the Vento is 5 years old and there's no sign of a replacement, and it's the same with the 6 year old Linea. Maruti ran the SX4 for 7 years!

That said, I think we'll see the next-generation Verna sometime in 2016 itself. If Hyundai wants leadership, it's going to have to keep its product line-up fresh.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 00:17   #6
BHPian

2017 is too late. I hope they would launch by early 2016 or at the max mid 2016. From the sales figures in the last months verna has lost steam and is losing out big time to City and Ciaz. Verna can make a strong come back since the other C2 sedans have been laggards compared to current city sales and pre idtec verna sales. Hyundai should bring the verna with the 6 speed AT from the elantra with an aggressive price tag. Knowing Hyundai, they would definitely load the car with the latest gizmos. But they need to act swiftly to be back to No 1 position. The niggles reported with the new city and the recent Honda recall might hlp Verna's cause. Only time will tell.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd September 2015 at 06:57. Reason: typo edited: hop - hope
Karthik Chandra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 00:36   #7
BHPian

While the Verna had an excellent start, in terms of sales at least, the excitement very soon faded off. The car got a lot of traction from young customers for its attractive looks, feature rich interiors and strong motor. But soon, the car became infamous for its poor dynamics. And, while Hyundai have more or less sorted that, what remains, is the wrong conception that the Verna still is a boat.

I would suggest Hyundai to change the moniker to perhaps the Solaris to avoid the name bringing the car's sales down. Verna anyway got way too popular too quickly, and people would like to see a new car from Hyundai.

The next gen Elantra's interiors have been greatly toned down and I expect the same in the Verna. What Hyundai needs to fix is that cramped backseat, and I guess they'll have a winner. Cracking the segment though is extremely tough. There are some excellent competitors that do almost everything right.

Good luck Hyundai, and please don't tone down the structural strength of the Verna for god's sake. Eagerly waiting for Indian crash tests to start.

Last edited by prakhar1998 : 22nd September 2015 at 00:37.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 14:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

New spyshots of the next-gen 2017 Hyundai Verna have emerged from China.

While the overall external silhouette seems similar to the present-gen Verna with a tinge of the new Fluidic v2.0 design theme (with the new rear quarter glass section), interiors see sprucing up with bolstered seat cushioning, an updated central console, and the (welcome) addition of rear-AC vents.

Slightly disappointing alloy design though. Propeller-ish shape which is similar to the 2014 Indian Honda City's alloys.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2428919_8.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2428921_8.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2428923_8.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2428920_8.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2428922_8.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2428924_8.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2428927_8.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2428925_8.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2428926_8.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna will be introduced in China later this year, with an Indian launch expected sometime next year.

Engine & transmission options are expected to be the same with minor tweaks to both, and it remains to be seen if it will be offered with a 7-speed DCT option, as it is available now in it's parent country, Korea.

Auto iFeng
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 18:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Finally !! I was wondering how we haven't seen the next generation verna/accent being tested. Hyundai is really proactive most of the times and it is about time they took the fight back to Honda in India.
Old 5th January 2016, 20:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The 2017 Hyundai Verna will be introduced in China later this year, with an Indian launch expected sometime next year.
They should try and launch it ASAP.

The only reason the City is selling right now is essentially due to lack of competition (only Ciaz). If Hyundai can introduce the new Verna with good quality, I don't see a single reason why the City would not reduce in numbers as it did a few years back, especially considering the quality issues in the current City!
Old 7th January 2016, 11:22   #11
BHPian

Verna sales stood at 616 units for Dec'15 against market leader City's 6366 units

This is the first time, I'm seeing a Hyundai model (mass market) in 3 digit figures.

Significant reason for Hyundai to bring in the next gen Verna sooner, with other C2 sedans (except City & Ciaz) not doing well and no launches in the near future, it is imperative that Hyundai acts swiftly
Old 7th January 2016, 11:51   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Verna sales stood at 616 units for Dec'15 against market leader City's 6366 units

This is the first time, I'm seeing a Hyundai model (mass market) in 3 digit figures.

Significant reason for Hyundai to bring in the next gen Verna sooner, with other C2 sedans (except City & Ciaz) not doing well and no launches in the near future, it is imperative that Hyundai acts swiftly
Hyundai numbers are affected by the Chennai floods too, I guess.

But if the new Verna still has the same "overdone" body styling as that of the current one, it is not going to affect the City or even Ciaz sales, IMO.
Old 12th April 2016, 17:02   #13
BHPian

The new Verna better be very good looking, and with great interiors and lot's of features.
The once class leading car is now hardly seen on roads, I still see more of the old ones, than the recent facelifted one..

The only consistent criticism of this car was its very light steering and handling at high speeds, which was addressed to some extent in the facelift and update in last 2 years, but otherwise, It has always been a very good Car,

City, Ciaz, Vento along with the Compact SUV's are formidable competition and its catch up now for Verna, Hyundai have their work cut out.

Last edited by Hemant_Joshi : 12th April 2016 at 17:04.
Old 17th April 2016, 14:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai's 2017 Sloaris rendered along with spied pic of interiors appear in Russian website,

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-sol1.jpg
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-sol2.jpg
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-sol3.jpg

http://www.yaplakal.com/forum11/topi...tml?hl=solaris
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 15:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai's 2017 Sloaris rendered along with spied pic of interiors appear in Russian website,
Wow. That's a nice looking car. The front grill comes from Elantra and I like the way the lines blend with the tail lamps. Only if they could introduce six speed automatic along with usual 6 air bags in new 2017 Verna in India. Of course, it will come feature loaded to take on City and Ciaz.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed