Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2017, 14:55   #436
BHPian

re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
The sales executive at the Hyundai dealership just shared this with me. It is called "Product Customer Module" and it has feature descriptions in detail (entire PDF consists of 76 pages) and per-feature comparison with Honda City and Ciaz.
As per their comparison Ciaz comes on top over City
Old 17th August 2017, 16:26   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
The sales executive at the Hyundai dealership just shared this with me. It is called "Product Customer Module" and it has feature descriptions in detail (entire PDF consists of 76 pages) and per-feature comparison with Honda City and Ciaz.
Some of the comparison slides are just unbelievably hilarious - example chrome on fog lamps deserves a point as do engines! Good afternoon laugh in my opinion and is nothing more than a desperate sales document. I guess all manufacturers do this.

One point - considering Ciaz is ranked higher than the City, is this indicative of their target? Or am I reading too much into the numbers?
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 16:39   #438
BHPian

New Verna Spied in Fiery Red Colour by IAB Reader
Reminds me of Accent Viva!

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-newhyundaiverna2017fieryredcoloursideview.jpgThe 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-newhyundaiverna2017spottedinfieryredcolour.jpgThe 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-newhyundaiverna2017fieryredcolourfrontview.jpgThe 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-newhyundaiverna2017fieryredcolourside.jpg
DriveOnceMore is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 16:54   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post

Attachment 1667275Attachment 1667276Attachment 1667277Attachment 1667278
It was there in the first generation Verna too. I still remember when my father went to book a first generation Verna in a colour called kyara brown, this red verna was standing next to it in ferrari colours. I loved the colour and pressurized him to get the one in red but he didn't listen. If this is the same red im not missing it this time.
Old 17th August 2017, 17:46   #440

There is something about the Vernas over the years that I find particularly boring. These are reliable cars, with good feature list, but I just can't get my head around these cars. The new generation photos have failed to excite me as well. Boring is the only word I can find but I hope there is more to my dislike of this car than just boring. What is it about Vernas that I don't like, I wonder! I own City CVT and Ciaz CVT, btw, so I am Verna's target demographic.

There is a discussion going on about TC vs. CVT. City's and Ciaz's CVT, I've found, have managed the rubber-band effect very well so I am not buying the argument that TCs are far superior. Not in this segment especially.
dipamji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 17:59   #441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipamji View Post
There is a discussion going on about TC vs. CVT. City's and Ciaz's CVT, I've found, have managed the rubber-band effect very well so I am not buying the argument that TCs are far superior. Not in this segment especially.
Well, that answers your question really. Because the City has a CVT wheras the Ciaz has a 4 speed TC gearbox. And as a user, it didn't really make a difference to you and you were considering both as CVT

Verna gets a six speed TC gearbox and should be better than the Ciaz, specially at highway speeds. May not necessarily be better or worse than the City.

What it does offer though - is the diesel AT advantage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Honda as a premium brand or rather the City is a premium car is something I fail to understand.
I was only referring to the market sentiments. I personally rate it the other way around.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th August 2017 at 18:05.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 18:04   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Thanks for sharing, Yes Accent Viva did have a nice bright red colour and with its notchback proportions was a looker in its day.

But is this the Fiery Red or Flame Orange, seems more like Flame Orange (a new shade for Hyundai in India, though it was also seen on the IX25 in China, I wish they launch the Creta in Flame Orange, would suit that very well.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
It was there in the first generation Verna too.
True, the first gen Verna had a Red, but Hyundai says this is a new colour for the Verna, so may have a slightly different shade in reality.

Coming to the variant spread, Hyundai continues to falter by not offering an AT in the top end Diesel trim. Atleast, the Petrol has it, but perhaps a Diesel AT in the top variant would have covered all bases. May be they felt it would end up eating into the entry level Elantra variants?

Last edited by uday.ere : 17th August 2017 at 18:06.
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 18:31   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipamji View Post
There is something about the Vernas over the years that I find particularly boring. These are reliable cars, with good feature list, but I just can't get my head around these cars. The new generation photos have failed to excite me as well. Boring is the only word I can find but I hope there is more to my dislike of this car than just boring. What is it about Vernas that I don't like, I wonder! I own City CVT and Ciaz CVT, btw, so I am Verna's target demographic.

Yes Ciaz has 4 speed Torque converter. Marutis only CVT is in Baleno and it has the worst rubber band effect among the cars in india that has CVT. Having driven Baleno extensively last month i can really vouch for it. If u floor the throttle on highway for overtaking the engine grunts with RPM shooting to near red level but car doesn't even surge ahead for all the RPM on the engine. I was so scared to overtake in highway with the car after a first couple of tries. For even a car as light as as Baleno if this happens imagine if it is a heavier car.

By all means DSG is the best for aggressive driving but since VW doesn't give us a 10 year warranty as in china TC is the best bet until some reliability wrt DCT chips in.

I think Hyundai thought well to bring in the 6 speed TC than its own DCT. Hyundai has always shied away from CVTs

Last edited by drashkum : 17th August 2017 at 18:39.
drashkum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 18:44   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Well, that answers your question really. Because the City has a CVT wheras the Ciaz has a 4 speed TC gearbox. And as a user, it didn't really make a difference to you and you were considering both as CVT
Thanks. That was embarrassing! Thanks for correcting. I honestly did not find noticeable difference while driving thinking they both are CVT. Now that I know, I definitely will!

Like you said, Verna AT should be better. It's a bummer to see Diesel AT missing out on side and curtain airbags though. I'd imagine many Diesel owners tend to put some serious kilometers on their cars, so these additional airbags could be really helpful. Economics over common sense, I guess!
dipamji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 18:49   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

The upcoming 2017 Verna in Silver. Courtesy Sandeep Patel @ Facebook.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-3.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-5.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-4.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-6.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 23:30   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Some of the comparison slides are just unbelievably hilarious - example chrome on fog lamps deserves a point as do engines! Good afternoon laugh in my opinion and is nothing more than a desperate sales document. I guess all manufacturers do this.

One point - considering Ciaz is ranked higher than the City, is this indicative of their target? Or am I reading too much into the numbers?
Just a small query, does outgoing or new Verna(2017) comes up with Engine guard at the bottom ? it would have been valid point to score rather than having chrome on fog lamps I believe. Never mind i hope they have sorted out ride and handling issue in new Verna 2017. Overall looks very good package !!!
Old 18th August 2017, 00:35   #447
Senior - BHPian

I was very critical of the design to begin with and now having seen these images, i feel like Hyundai has doNe just enough to add muscle to the fluidic design. I believe many people will like this new design and i think it will be the Ciaz that will be take a hit.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 00:54   #448
Senior - BHPian

The oustide looks like a mini Elantra but on the inside from pics it feels like a large Xcent. I don't think that is a good sign. Anyways it's still refreshing than the current Verna.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 18th August 2017 at 01:24.
Old 18th August 2017, 01:28   #449
BHPian

Looking at the specs, design and variants on offer, I feel that customers looking for petrol car will stick to the City but the Verna diesel especially with it's 6 speed AT (if priced at par with the outgoing model) will make a huge dent on the sales of Vento Tdi, Rapid Tdi, city idtec and Ciaz ddis.

Judging by the return of Honda's marketing campaign for the City and W-RV along with the re-launch of S variants for Ciaz by Maruti, it's safe to assume that the competition is nervous.

Last edited by fuelinmyveins : 18th August 2017 at 01:30.
Old 18th August 2017, 06:26   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
Looking at the specs, design and variants on offer, I feel that customers looking for petrol car will stick to the City but the Verna diesel especially with it's 6 speed AT (if priced at par with the outgoing model) will make a huge dent on the sales of Vento Tdi, Rapid Tdi, city idtec and Ciaz ddis.
True. I was awaiting the pricing but with the variants offered will just go ahead and book the Vento TSI Highline. Prefer petrol with it lower polluting characteristics.

While there is the talk of a CVT/TC/DSG, what tips the scale for me is the ESP/ESC offered at a lower cost. Safety first. Do not need the sunroof or push button start stop. Hence the top end of competitors products do not make sense for me.

Was looking at the Compass but they are talking about Jan/Feb deliveries for the automatic petrol in Mumbai. Cannot wait that long.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed