Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2017, 15:18   #541
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

I am disappointed.

Inspite of all the gimmicks, this 2017 version is not as good as the outgoing model. The Fluidic Verna has Disk brakes in the rear while this new fangled 2017 version has DRUM brakes in the rear.

I had expected Hyundai to provide ESP & Traction Control along with Disk brakes in the rear, at least in the top-end.

Once a segment leader in safety, Hyundai has refused to move the needle this time around.

A disappointment.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 15:24   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Official brochure can be downloaded from here.

Seems like the Eco-Coating tech is reserved for the AT variants only. Even customers of the top-end Diesel SX(O) MT won't be able to get this feature!

Also, the spare wheel is a steel one, not an alloy. And, it's a downgraded spare wheel for the SX/SX(O) variants!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd August 2017 at 15:26. Reason: Added a point.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 15:38   #543
BHPian

Even though it's the same engine, the low end torque seems to have been very well tuned. Earlier generation Verna generated 26.5 kg.m from 1900-2750 RPM. The 2017 Verna is generating the same 26.5 kg.m torque, but from 1500-3000 RPM.

This should tremendously improve the driveability. Awaiting the feedback from test drives.
Voyager-1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 15:53   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post
I am disappointed.

Inspite of all the gimmicks, this 2017 version is not as good as the outgoing model. The Fluidic Verna has Disk brakes in the rear while this new fangled 2017 version has DRUM brakes in the rear.

I had expected Hyundai to provide ESP & Traction Control along with Disk brakes in the rear, at least in the top-end.

Once a segment leader in safety, Hyundai has refused to move the needle this time around.

A disappointment.
I guess Hyundai has started prioritizing comfort/cosmetic features over safety - as majority of the buyers are more than happy with a couple of airbags and ABS in our country. I am sure that features like Sunroof will attract more attention than something like rear disc brakes, ESP, etc. and we cannot blame the manufacturers for that

Moreover, the effectiveness of front airbags and ABS in case of an accident as far as the sub 15 lakh cars sold out here are concerned is anybody's guess.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 15:58   #545
BHPian

The site for 2017 Verna is live. Here are some official pictures and brochure.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-in_gal_ext_rbi_nw_03.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-in_gal_ext_rbi_nw_04.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-in_gal_ext_rbi_nw_05.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-in_gal_ext_rbi_nw_06.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-in_gal_ext_rbi_nw_07.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-in_gal_ext_rbi_nw_08.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-in_gal_int_rbi_nw_01.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-in_gal_int_rbi_nw_02.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-in_gal_int_rbi_nw_03.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-in_gal_int_rbi_nw_04.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-in_gal_int_rbi_nw_05.jpg

2015_Verna_ebrochure_1503386900664.pdf
PraNeel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 16:05   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Even though it's the same engine, the low end torque seems to have been very well tuned. Earlier generation Verna generated 26.5 kg.m from 1900-2750 RPM. The 2017 Verna is generating the same 26.5 kg.m torque, but from 1500-3000 RPM.

This should tremendously improve the driveability. Awaiting the feedback from test drives.
If they have tuned it like Creta (which they obviously would and should have) , driveability would be very good. I'am expecting it to be even better than that because of lower weight unless they tuned it for better fuel economy.

Will probably be test driving it tomorrow , i think they have nailed the pricing and features too (a smart move since mini SUVs are already eating into the segment and the pricing and features especially will help improve its case), it sure is more value for money than Creta (and safely out of its zone too with little overlap) and looks good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post
I am disappointed.

A disappointment.
Well it is disappointing that i20, Verna, City all have ditched disk brakes in favor of drums , and have taken a step backward but i must add that despite that City's brakes are effective and leave very little to be desired.This, although disappointing is far to being a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Moreover, the effectiveness of front airbags and ABS in case of an accident as far as the sub 15 lakh cars sold out here are concerned is anybody's guess.
I won't worry about that , they have used 50% high strength steel and it is based on Elantra's platform and not i20 (i expected to since the last gen was probably based on older i20's platform and City shares its platform with Jazz)

Last edited by Rocketscience : 22nd August 2017 at 16:17.
Rocketscience is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 18:40   #547
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai has truly covered multiple grounds with the release of this single car, this is the closest we can ever get to having an i30-esque car in India. For all the predictions and ridiculous pricing of the i30 as announced by various auto-news outlets in India, lets face it, if it does end up arriving in this neck-of-the-woods it'll have an on-road pricing of not less than 20 lacs in entry variants.

With the 2018 Verna launch Hyundai has not only replaced a very unsuccessful car in the recent past with a great all-new model, it has also brought in a VFM i30 as both share the KIA-Hyundai J6 Platform which is shared in Elantra/i30/Tucson/Sportage (a very good platform in short). A comparison of the 2017 Verna with the 2017 i30 :

Model

2017 i30 4340 / 1795 / 395L / 1455 / 2650 (Length/width/bootspace/height/wheelbase)

2017 Verna 4440 / 1729 / 465L / 1475 / 2600 (Length/width/bootspace/height/wheelbase)

With this platform I'm sure the Verna is a very capable, very well built, silent cruiser which is what 99% of the buyers always want, and suspension wise more than a couple of 4S Verna owners have already shared that their car is very stable at highway speeds so this car should exceed that beyond all imaginable limits. Only someone who truly hates the brand (all of us are unimpressed with one brand or another) should be not impressed one bit by this model. I've not driven this yet but if its even 75% of the Elantra then its a huge leap from the previous model.

Last edited by dark.knight : 22nd August 2017 at 18:48. Reason: Um guess no double-spacing is allowed and don't know where the tabular format is, apologies for shabby comparison
dark.knight is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 19:10   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
With the 2018 Verna launch Hyundai has not only replaced a very unsuccessful car in the recent past with a great all-new model, it has also brought in a VFM i30 as both share the KIA-Hyundai J6 Platform which is shared in Elantra/i30/Tucson/Sportage (a very good platform in short). A comparison of the 2017 Verna with the 2017 i30 :
I believe the current gen Elantra use J6 platform and the new gen verna uses K2 platform. Is the K2 platform a derivative of J6? I am confused
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 19:15   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karooo View Post
What speeds are we talking about here? I feel pretty nervous above 110km/s but I haven't really gone above that speed too much to check how the car handles.

As a fellow 4S Verna owner, what are your thoughts on this new model? Do you feel like upgrading?
Speeds of 120 and in the vicinity. Driven mostly with 2 people on board and sometimes more, mostly for a good length of time. So I am sure of what I am speaking about. The suspension soaks the bumps at speed well. A little more feedback from the steering would help but as I said earlier, it is not a deal breaker.

I liked the new model. In fact, 6 gear manual and auto, the ventilated seats, sunroof and automatic boot release are tempting. However, I am in no position to change my ride at the moment. But yes, if hypothetically I was in the market for a new sedan in this price range, I would pick the 1.6 VTVT SX(O).

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post

That's reassuring as I will have a lot of highway drives if I confirm my booking. How does it behave when you pass over speed breakers/humps with full load, any experiences of bottoming out?
I have already detailed about my highway experience above. As for bottoming out, I did scrape the underbelly once. The car had 5 adults and 4 suitcases. We were on a state highway close to Mysore and suddenly saw an array of gigantic speed breakers. I took the first one straight and the car bottomed out. Took the remaining at an angle and all was well.
drive2eternity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 19:28   #550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I believe the current gen Elantra use J6 platform and the new gen verna uses K2 platform. Is the K2 platform a derivative of J6? I am confused
If you're sure that the current Verna is based on the K2 platform then thanks for the correction. Yes two doubts will remain even then, one is if J6 is a derivative of K2, or is K2 simply a platform for the older Elantra/Tiburon (Hyundai's first 2.0 litre sports-car).

The K2 may be slightly older to the J6 from the looks of it but if it handled an engine of 2 litres and 140 hp on a sports car then it should work beautifully in the Verna as well. From what I can gather for now, the J6 might be a slightly updated version of the K2. Whether it is updated in terms of weight-gain or weight-reduction I'm not sure, in the mid-2000's when the K2 platform existed, no brand relied so much on a combination of high-strength steels, aluminium or magnesium alloy structures.
Old 22nd August 2017, 19:48   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
and suspension wise more than a couple of 4S Verna owners have already shared that their car is very stable at highway speeds so this car should exceed that beyond all imaginable limits.
How does feedback from 4S Verna owners have any impact on how the 2017 Verna behaves? 2017 Verna is a new platform. While I am not saying that there are problems with it, all I am pointing to is that since its a new platform, any feedback from 4S Verna owners is of not much value as this is a new platform and not a facelift. So, lets await feedback from test drives of the new 2017 Verna
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 20:01   #552
BHPian

I am really impressed by the pricing of the Petrol SX and the features packed under 10lac.
I am wondering apart from the sweet iVTEC of City, is there any other strong pro in favour of City VMT compared to Verna Petrol SX? Note I am strictly considering the offerings under 10lac ex-showroom.
Old 22nd August 2017, 20:29   #553
BHPian

Official TVC of the Next Gen Verna - Intelligent by Design

Old 22nd August 2017, 21:24   #554
BHPian

Saw Verna today. Rear and coupe-ish side profiles look super cool, a blackened reflector of headlights would have made its face look even better.

Onroad prices of Bangalore:
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-nxt-gen-verna-pc.jpg  

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-20170822_211515.jpg  

kashyapz8055 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 21:39   #555
BHPian

Going through the brochure, it looks like the top end automatic diesel SX+ misses out on the following

Side / Curtain airbags
Smart key
Chrome door handles
Leather door trim
IC Light adjustment
Adjustable rear seat head restraints
Leather upholstery
Auto Link
Ventilated seats
Smart trunk
Push button start / stop
Luggage hook and net

Hmm... they could've at least given the extra airbags, ventilated seats and the leather upholstery.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks