Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2017, 17:53   #646
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Well, I feel Hyundai *purposely* reduced the rear space in the NexGen Verna. If they hadn't done that, then probably no one would go for the Elantra. So just to keep Elantra *alive*, they probably did this.

Thus, practically speaking (Indian driving conditions), the rear seat space is the only differentiating factor bween the Verna and Elantra. And they couldn't differentiate the two models any more than that, bcoz else the Verna wouldn't be competitive with the City. After all, Verna is expected to be a higher volume selling car (than Elantra) and rake in more overall moolah for Hyundai than Elantra, so they had to prioritize the Verna's "ability to sell" over the Elantra's. And yet not totally kill Elantra.
I would disagree to some extent, Elantra has a lot more premium feel to it both in the layout and space. Also, it has a 2 litre petrol engine which is a breeze in sports mode. Plus it comes with more safety features, its just because of those i am speculating to upgrade my verna booking.
Old 25th August 2017, 19:00   #647
BHPian

Now the car has launched, Moderators please let us know if an official review is coming and in what time frame please? .
Old 25th August 2017, 19:44   #648
BHPian

The car and Bike show review is out, i saw it live on Facebook but they did not review petrol then. I think the petrol review is missing and is not much detailed providing the link below:

https://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/5th-ge...review-1741987
Mindgrinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 20:18   #649
BHPian

While it is great to have 6 speed AT in Verna, it is still disappointing that it does not have a sports mode or the paddle shifts. What it also means is that you have no other option but to drive it in manual mode while in the hills (please correct me if I am wrong).

If only we can get a 10 year warranty on DSG in India, Verna and City would be out of contention for anyone looking to buy either diesel or petrol automatic.

Given the superb diesel engine and inherent low milage of AT - both of which make a strong case for diesel Verna over its petrol sibling, I think Hyundai is shooting its own foot by not offering top-end diesel AT.
amit73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 21:13   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit73 View Post
While it is great to have 6 speed AT in Verna, it is still disappointing that it does not have a sports mode or the paddle shifts. What it also means is that you have no other option but to drive it in manual mode while in the hills (please correct me if I am wrong).

If only we can get a 10 year warranty on DSG in India, Verna and City would be out of contention for anyone looking to buy either diesel or petrol automatic.

Given the superb diesel engine and inherent low milage of AT - both of which make a strong case for diesel Verna over its petrol sibling, I think Hyundai is shooting its own foot by not offering top-end diesel AT.
I totally agree, drove the diesel today and it is a rocket. Waiting for petrol to come out for a TD. I think it's the same thing they did with creta no top trim auto.

Last edited by Mindgrinder : 25th August 2017 at 21:18.
Old 25th August 2017, 22:06   #651
Senior - BHPian

Here's a comprehensive review from ACI: http://www.autocarindia.com/car-revi...t-drive-405606
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 05:12   #652

Seems the sales rep who told me about deliveries beginning in Diwali was misinformed. Anyways I have a confusion with regards to diesel vs petrol engines. I clearly want all the features available in the SX(O) variant so basically diesel auto is not a choice. Given the review from NDTV and most people suggesting that the diesel is a more fun to drive engine the options are diesel SX (O) non auto or petrol SX(O). I am mostly a city rider (daily commute less than 35 km) but I u love going for drives over the weekend and wondering if I petrol auto won't be so much fun to drive for a aggressive driver? Should one compromise on automatic and settle for diesel or it really doesn't have such a huge difference to pay the around 70k difference.. . Suggestions pls
Old 26th August 2017, 08:52   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Here's a comprehensive review from ACI: http://www.autocarindia.com/car-revi...t-drive-405606
Interesting review. Basically, for them, it doesn't feel like an all new car. Is their video review out?
Old 26th August 2017, 09:25   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The interesting bits from that review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutocarIndia
While the power and torque rating are identical to the outgoing car, with a few tweaks this engine produces max torque across a wider band of 1500-3000rpm now (compared to 1900-2750rpm).

The brakes are nice and even though it doesn’t get rear discs anymore, it stops without any fuss from high speeds and the pedal feel is reassuring.

Handling has always been a point of contention in the old Verna and thankfully Hyundai has worked really hard to fix this with the new car. A completely revised steering geometry and a stiffer chassis have gone a long way to address these handling woes and the new car is significantly better to drive than the previous one.

The electrically assisted power steering still doesn't provide any real feedback though and has a strange dead zone around the straight ahead positon . However, once you pile on the lock or turn off centre, the steering feels much better weighting up in a linear and predictable manner.

Driving briskly up the twisting mountain road outside Kochi on our first drive, it was very easy to get the Verna to point in the exact direction we wanted to, albeit the lack of any real feedback from the steering made the whole feeling akin to playing a video game. As much fun as we had, the new Verna still felt like a slightly soft car and the way it went around bends or managed body roll was far from sporty.

What’s nice is that this car’s ride in the city feels great. It soaks up the bumps and potholes really competently, with only muted thuds filtering in on the sharper ones. Even vertical movements are minimal and it recovers very well after hitting a pothole. It doesn’t keep bobbing at highway speeds, over wavy surfaces either and this new chassis feels tighter and better controlled over uneven surfaces than before.
The car looks better in those photographs. And it looks like Hyundai has fixed the ride and improved an already impressive diesel motor.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 10:42   #655
BHPian

Re: In Two Minds: Verna 2017 or Honda City 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I'd pick the Verna.

In my opinion the City is overpriced for what it offers, and cannot be called "premium" anymore. Even the EX variant of the Verna comes with Cruise Control (which is absent in the City). That's a crucial feature for me in a car that costs 15 lakh plus.
I am a 2014 model Honda City owner (SV variant) and it has Cruise control. My SV variant was middle variant of total 5 variants at that time. After Ford fiesta, Honda City is the first C-sedan to have cruise control and that too from middle variants. By the way mine just costed Rs 10 lakhs. In the recent City face lift, all variants except low end has cruise control.

If you compare the features of Verna and City, you will find that Hyundai just followed the Honda template variant to variant in most cases and added few extras here and there and undercut the City by around Rs 40K to 60K.

Having said all this, Hyundai's pricing made the C-sedan competition into a 3-horse race instead of 2 as it was in the last 2 years.

My Choices are like this:
Petrol Manual - City
Petrol Auto - Verna
Diesel Manual - Verna
Diesel Auto - Verna
sri_tesla is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 11:14   #656
Senior - BHPian

We had firmed up our plans to get the Dzire Automatic. But with AMT woes being spoken about in the forum, we are considering Verna Automatic as well. Anybody got a test drive on the latest hot-stepper?

Wish there was a SUV Auto under 12lakhs! Heard Brezza Petrol is round the corner, but no idea if its with AMT.
Old 26th August 2017, 11:38   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
We had firmed up our plans to get the Dzire Automatic. But with AMT woes being spoken about in the forum, we are considering Verna Automatic as well. Anybody got a test drive on the latest hot-stepper?

Wish there was a SUV Auto under 12lakhs! Heard Brezza Petrol is round the corner, but no idea if its with AMT.
Why not ecosport? Will cost you around your budget with a very good DCT option and a fine motor.

I had a drive in Petrol Auto Verna it is indeed linear in its power delivery if you don't mind a 10 to 11kmpl mileage inside city.
Old 26th August 2017, 12:57   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
We had firmed up our plans to get the Dzire Automatic. But with AMT woes being spoken about in the forum, we are considering Verna Automatic as well.
The performance of the AMT with 4 cylinder engine such as Dzire/Zest/Ignis is much better as compared to cars such as Alto/Wagon R/Celerio/Tiago. On the AMT woes thread I have not seen Dzire AMT owners reporting issues. That said one cannot say that AMT + Dzire has 100% clean track record. If you can stretch your budget to the Verna then nothing like it as it is a next segment car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
Why not ecosport? Will cost you around your budget with a very good DCT option and a fine motor.

I had a drive in Petrol Auto Verna it is indeed linear in its power delivery if you don't mind a 10 to 11kmpl mileage inside city.
Most people using the Grand i10 Auto report single digit mileage and that is a 4 speed TC. Would the 6 speed TC and better engine improve it to double digit? Maybe better to wait for some real world stats...any owners of earlier Verna 4 speed TC could share some mileage data to get a better picture.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 26th August 2017 at 12:59.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 12:59   #659
BHPian

Car and Bike show review of Hyundai Verna.
Old 26th August 2017, 13:04   #660
BHPian

The Verna SX comes with body coloured door handles.
Is it possible to change door handle to chrome in some workshop without impacting the keyless entry mechanism?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks