Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2017, 00:23   #1036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
For the new Hyundai Verna owners on this thread: Have you found a way to have the dashboard MID display the km/liter to date? Looks like it takes it post the last time the fuel tank was filled.
Not a new Verna owner, but I don't think there's a way to do that. Page 5-75 of the owner's manual [0] specifies the two auto reset options (after 4hrs since ignition off, or on driving off after 6L+ refueling) you already mention above - there's no way to "prevent" auto reset (which is what you are after) or somehow get a 3rd, "FE since forever" kind of option mentioned in the manual as far as I could see.

For what it's worth, my MY '11 Verna is similar (except it auto-resets on refueling, no ignition based setting). My friend's MY' 13 Toyota Fortuner behaves in a similar way.

[0] http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4280372

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Guys, no offence, but "usually" the car that the "reviewer" owns comes out on top! I mean we are auto enthusiasts and so normally either we drive better or we never give up on the car we own.
I think we should wait for the official review of T-bhp to know if the new Verna has indeed improved on its handling prowess.
+1 to everything you've said!

Of all the cognitive biases we humans have, Confirmation Bias [0] is the worst, and most difficult to avoid IMO. I believe it is so because rationalization has an evolutionary advantage - it aids mental well-being of the individual and increases the individual's chances of survival, but I'm going totally OT now!
But, precisely because of above, I'm totally amazed by objectiveness of each and every Team BHP review - I realize how hard it must be for Team BHP's review-team-members to maintain that objectivity over and over again and I can't thank them enough for that!! And that's why for me all the reviews here are totally worth the wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
I would not like to comment on someone else's driving skills but just for the record, the person driving the Verna was not a newbie/learner. We both are of the same age and have been driving on such highways/ghats since many years, actually both of us are the only ones who can drive for long distances in my friends circle so it was not a case of him being a bad driver.
It was not my intention to question someone's driving skills - and I apologize if my choice of words indicated such.
All I meant to highlight was the bullets you've yourself mentioned in a later message - there's a difference in how well you know your i-VTEC v/s how well you know (or someone else knows) a VTVT - and that translates to a tangible performance gap. Even more so for MT, since knowing your engine response and transmission shift points well greatly affects how quickly (and to what degree of perfection) can you perform, say, an overtake on an incline or drag-run on a straight, level path.
Ideally, for two cars' comparison to be most fair everything else except the car needs to be constant - and we all know how bleak is the chance of that happening.
Your observations about the City and the New Verna might as well be bang on. But it certainly would have carried a lot more weight had you got a chance to get behind the wheel of the New Verna yourself. That's all I wanted to understand by asking you if you drove the New Verna as well.

Quote:
when you let go the throttle after reaching a certain speed, the City coasts more freely compared to the Verna. We did this while returning back, both of us reached 100 kmph while we were next to each other and then let go the throttle, when the cars were about to reach 60 kmph my City was slightly ahead of the Verna.
Assuming both you and your friend kept the clutch engaged and stayed in top gear all this while, one (among many other) interpretation of the no-throttle observation you've made could be that Verna "engine-brakes" [1] (slightly?) better than City, which offers its own advantages [2], including better FE, improved braking and handling.

[0] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
[1] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engi...soline_engines
[2] http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post226145

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th October 2017 at 12:33.
actinium15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 09:21   #1037
OSH
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post
It was not my intention to question someone's driving skills - and I apologize if my choice of words indicated such.
Please don't apologize, what I meant was that I am not capable to judge someone's driving just by looking at him from my car, thats it. Sorry if it sounded otherwise, I didn't mean too, in any way.

Quote:
All I meant to highlight was the bullets you've yourself mentioned in a later message - there's a difference in how well you know your i-VTEC v/s how well you know (or someone else knows) a VTVT - and that translates to a tangible performance gap.
Yes completely agree, I myself had mentioned in the last para of that 1st post, that people should take a TD of both the cars themselves and not listen to reviewers/others.

Quote:
Assuming both you and your friend kept the clutch engaged and stayed in top gear all this while, one (among many other) interpretation of the no-throttle observation you've made could be that Verna "engine-brakes"(slightly?) better than City, which offers its own advantages, including better FE, improved braking and handling.
Yes clutch was engaged i.e. pedal not pressed and we were in the top most gear. Regarding why that happened, I have no idea but better FE for the Verna due to this is not possible according to me because the car is not coasting as much as the City and coasting in gear results in better FE, I could be wrong here. Yesterday a guy told me it could just be the wider tyres(10mm ?) of the Verna that were responsible for this but again I have no idea, it was something we had done and so just mentioned it here.
Old 28th October 2017, 10:16   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Not a new Verna owner, but I don't think there's a way to do that. Page 5-75 of the owner's manual [0] specifies the two auto reset options (after 4hrs since ignition off, or on driving off after 6L+ refueling) you already mention above - there's no way to "prevent" auto reset (which is what you are after) or somehow get a 3rd, "FE since forever" kind of option mentioned in the manual as far as I could see.
Thanks - This is very useful. Will search the owner's manual in detail. The Maruti Ritz had an option for FE forever till we reset it

Quote:
+1 to everything you've said!

Of all the cognitive biases we humans have, Confirmation Bias [0] is the worst, and most difficult to avoid IMO. I believe it is so because rationalization has an evolutionary advantage - it aids mental well-being of the individual and increases the individual's chances of survival, but I'm going totally OT now!
But, precisely because of above, I'm totally amazed by objectiveness of each and every Team BHP review - I realize how hard it must be for Team BHP's review-team-members to maintain that objectivity over and over again and I can't thank them enough for that!! And that's why for me all the reviews here are totally worth the wait!
100% agree with you. Everyone feels his car is right. Some folks get happiness by going to another car's thread and saying theirs is better. Buyer's remorse?

Quote:

Yes completely agree, I myself had mentioned in the last para of that 1st post, that people should take a TD of both the cars themselves and not listen to reviewers/others.
The Honda City diesel is much noisier than the Verna diesel and has only 100 bhp power and 200 Nm of torque. It gets annihilated by the Verna diesel's figures of 127 bhp power and 260 Nm of torque
Have not driven a City petrol or Verna petrol but only the City Diesel and that was a noise machine compared to the Verna diesel.

City petrol engines are definitely good and ahead of the Verna petrol but the diesels of the Hyundai trump the other diesels I have extensively driven like the Multijet ones
bhpfaninblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 17:20   #1039
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Everyone feels his car is right.
This is quite obvious isn't it ? It is in no way bad. When a person buys a particular car, he has looked at various things that the car offers him compared to the other cars and only when he felt 'right' would he have bought the car. So for him the decision(car) was right, done. Everyones decision is respected and that's why here on TeamBHP we have people congratulating others when they buy a new vehicle, irrespective of which vehicle they have bought. People give their best wishes. Not go like, "you should have bought this car instead of this".

Quote:
Some folks get happiness by going to another car's thread and saying theirs is better
"Some folks" don't get happiness by coming here and giving their views, those "folks" are only trying to help the OP when he has asked for advise regarding a car which those "folks" own. The OP had clearly named which TWO cars he was interested in and if "folks" from outside should not reply their views in this thread, who should ? Maybe the next time a disclaimer should be added saying, "Folks from outside are requested not to reply, as this is another car's thread".

Few days back a BHPian was wise enough to leave this conversation when his point was not taken in the right spirit, my bad I stuck around with the intention of helping someone. It's my last post on this topic, not wanting to carry on further.

Quote:
Buyer's remorse ?
LOL ! People don't stoop down to that level where we would be giving wrong advise here. Think of it again, is it possible that every City owner who has replied here is not happy with his decision ?

Looks like the "remorse" is from somewhere else only.

Quote:
City petrol engines are definitely good and ahead of the Verna petrol but the diesels of the Hyundai trump the other diesels I have extensively driven like the Multijet ones
This is exactly what City owners who have replied are saying right from the start, no City owner has said that the City iDtec is better because we know that the Verna diesel is miles ahead. You are feeling that we are all biased but just remember, the OP is choosing between the best of what both the manufacturers have on offer, City iVtec & Verna diesel. City iVtec owners have replied here, it is bound to be full of praises because it is the best, we are not saying Verna diesels are bad.
Old 28th October 2017, 19:53   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
This is quite obvious isn't it ? It is in no way bad.
Yes. Of course.

Quote:
Few days back a BHPian was wise enough to leave this conversation when his point was not taken in the right spirit, my bad I stuck around with the intention of helping someone. It's my last post on this topic, not wanting to carry on further.
Yes, but someone has not been wise enough as we see with the repeated posts . Expecting others to back off because his tirades are not tolerable

Quote:
Looks like the "remorse" is from somewhere else only.
Yes - thanks for not looking within. The NHC reviews and ownership reports are clearly indicating who has the remorse. A word cloud of the comments and reviews on Team - BHP would do

Quote:
This is exactly what City owners who have replied are saying right from the start, no City owner has said that the City iDtec is better because we know that the Verna diesel is miles ahead.
Yes, that is what I also said.
The Verna diesel is miles ahead of the City diesel like you said. The City petrol is marginally ahead of the Verna petrol. Fuel type & price is the person's choice

Last edited by bhpfaninblr : 28th October 2017 at 19:56.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:15   #1041
BHPian

Autocar India have posted a fairly detailed review of the new Verna on their website.

Quoting a paragraph from the article on the performance of the Verna Petrol MT:

Quote:
The new Verna petrol manual is not only quicker than the old car in flat-out acceleration and through the gears, but is actually the quickest of its peers in gears four and five, and all but matches the surprisingly brisk Maruti Ciaz in the third gear slog too. There’s a new-found flexibility to the engine, which is a boon in town and allows you to get by driving in a higher gear without much protest from the car. And it’s not that the pleasant gearbox or the light (if slightly springy) clutch are bothersome to use either, refinement levels are also excellent at low revs so you’d just find yourself upshifting early by default. At times when you do hold on to the gear, the engine will rev cleanly to 5,000rpm, after which it takes its time to get to the 6,500rpm limiter. That Honda City VTEC-like manic top-end rush is, unfortunately, missing.
I second the views posted on this article. I had a chance to drive the Verna petrol manual over the past weekend on the Bangalore ORR. It's no slouch whatsoever. Yes it'll not blow your mind like the diesel Verna but in everyday driving conditions, this car is just fine. Tap the accelerator and the car pulls quite smoothly. Everything feels quite linear and at no stage did I feel the car is under-powered. Did not push it's limits as I was driving in city conditions. I must add that there were just 2 people on-board. So not sure how a fully loaded car would feel like. The NVH levels are simply brilliant; you can barely hear the engine. The City iVtec feels really noisy in comparison.

I'm looking forward to the Team-BHP review and know what the experts feel about the new Verna!

Another article from NDTV CarAndBike says:

Quote:
The compact sedan space is red hot, with the next gen Hyundai Verna beating the Honda City and Maruti Suzuki Ciaz in October with 5000 cars sold. Overall bookings have breached the 20,000 units mark and automatics are pushing those numbers for Hyundai.
Looks like the Verna is doing pretty well. Prospective buyers should brace themselves for a price hike soon as the bookings have crossed the 20000 mark!
red.devil_19 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 23:12   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
I gave my vehicle for first service at Advaith Hyundai Bannerghatta and the service was phenomenal. I see that they also reset the km/liter view to denote how the vehicle has performed since the time it came out of the factory. here is the image

16.7 km/liter over 1308 km. Amost 950 km on the highway and the rest in stop and go BLR traffic. Very impressed!
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img20171103wa0017.jpg  

bhpfaninblr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 06:26   #1043
Senior - BHPian

It's faster than the earlier car to 140kph by 3 seconds and that makes it faster than the Vento / Rapid to 140kmph by a whopping 6 seconds!!

The in gear acceleration figures (which were the weak points of the Verna) have also been addressed and the 20-30 and 40-100 times have been increased by about 3 seconds each.

Hyundai has really gone to town with this car and even the and handling has improved. Most bumps are just soaked up easily. There is a slight skittishness at high speed but that must be more due to the Bridgestone tyres.

Well done Hyundai!

Last edited by AMG Power : 4th November 2017 at 06:53.
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 10:33   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
It's faster than the earlier car to 140kph by 3 seconds and that makes it faster than the Vento / Rapid to 140kmph by a whopping 6 seconds!!

The in gear acceleration figures (which were the weak points of the Verna) have also been addressed and the 20-30 and 40-100 times have been increased by about 3 seconds each.

Hyundai has really gone to town with this car and even the and handling has improved. Most bumps are just soaked up easily. There is a slight skittishness at high speed but that must be more due to the Bridgestone tyres.

Well done Hyundai!
I second all of these. I have the Hankook tyres instead of Bridgestone. Not sure which is a better brand and how much difference the tyres can make.

The engine is a brute with enormous power across the rev range. We need power in the city at low rpm (1250 - 1750 rpm), which is where most of our driving happens and that is where Hyundai Verna has power in abundance. Fewer gear changes in the city. On the highway, the car comes into its own with high power. Love the car

For my family, the space in the rear is not an issue. Our average height is 5'6" or so and the tallest would be 5'9" or so (Dakshina Kannada South Indians). The car is a great looker and with that engine, it is a handsome brute
Old 6th November 2017, 13:43   #1045
BHPian

Re: In Two Minds: Verna 2017 or Honda City 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayJohri View Post

And now, I am in two minds. Logically, I tell myself to go for the Honda for its proven refinement, but somewhere, my heart is seeking the Verna to for the pep and great exteriors it offered me. Not to mention that it will give me most features of the City for a good Rs 1.3-1.5L less.

Would be grateful to have your advise. I intend to keep my new car with me for at least 5-7 years.

Cheers,
Ajay

Hello Folks

Thanks to all the solid and friendly advise I got here, happy to share that I bought the Hyundai Verna in September.

I picked up the SX (O) Auto version in Phantom Black. The car is beautifully designed and looks like it was born raring to go. Hyundai has done a good work with designing it - it flows smoothly, has a smart aggressive front grille and a very sporty rear. Going by the admiring glances of passer-bys, it surely is a looker. Just looking at it parked next to your home makes you feel real good. The chorme garnishing, full-blown DRLs, sporty feel, coupe-ish feel...they all make you feel that you have a tamed tiger at home.
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img9773.jpgThe 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img9774.jpg The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img9777.jpg

Equally appealing and luxurious are the interiors. Honda scores higher in terms of overall look and feel, but I think that the Verna is more user friendly. The MID is wonderful, and you have the entire diagnostics in front your eyes always - the instantaneous fuel consumption features works very well and motivates you to be a good and responsible driver.The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img9770.jpg One can see refinement all through here. The cabin space is not as huge as in the Ciaz or the City, but it is absolutely delightful for us. It isn't excessive, but is never short of expectations for a regular family - in fact, it tops our expectations. The rear seats are quite comfortable, and the front seats are real cool with the ventilation feature, currently unique to Verna in this segment.

To drive, it glides over the road, and the potholes tend to have a soft-spot for the car. The driveability is far superior to the City or the Ciaz or any other segment car - absolutely smooth and silky, with NVH levels that make you a complete fan. The acceleration is smooth, powerful and un-strained, and it a pure pleasure to drive, with bumps getting smoothly muffled. I didn't stretch it, but I think the Verna can get just about any other car in its segment into the rear-view mirror pretty promptly. The Auto transmission makes the drive a pure joy, and steals the driver of most of the stress. The front view through the windscreen is wide and unrestrained, and it is a pleasure to look out at the panoramic view.

The Verna spoils you with its features, and everything is well-detailed. The 7-inch touch screen is very receptive, and clearly visible even in the brightest of the daylight. Apple car play works well, though i think I can't hook-up google maps from my phone onto the car's screen. The GPS is quite good, though the lady there tends to speak a bit too much. Also, on a few occasions, I found that the address search would not work properly...for example, it couldn't figure out where is Mall Road, Agra. So google maps are still very useful, though the car's GPS scores over it sometimes.

The audio system is stunning, with its rich and clear sound. I often feel as it is a Bose system inside - so vivid is the sound delivery. The Arkamys sound system is definitely a solid add-on to the refined audio experience. The rear camera and the parking assist grid too get top-marks.

I have done about 1000 Kms by now. Driving in the mad city traffic is painful - I got a meager average of 7.6kmpl, though I realise that it is an absolutely new car and needs about two services before it shows up its real performance. The average improved over longer journeys say from Delhi to Gurgaon when the car could actually leap ahead on weekends. Last week, I went from Delhi to Agra on the lovely Yamuna Expressway, and I got an overall average of 17.1 kmpl while doing in the 80-120 band, and actually touched 19.7 kmpl.The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img0049.jpg Would have got an even better return, had I used the cruise control - which I did not, as it was advised to break-in the engine at varying speeds rather than at a monotonous speed. Incidentally, the cruise control on teh Verna is very friendly and you can use it even during city driving - you can kick it in at 30kmph and above!

Overall, I am pretty thrilled with my decision. I know for the killer looks and powerful engine, I may have traded fuel economy and maintenance costs, but then, I am good and better with the thrills I am getting.

I am also gleeful that the freshness of the car will be retained for almost 2 years or so, before a face-lift comes along. The Verna 2017 is surely a tamed tiger, and it is thrilling to have one!

Once again, many thanks to the ace BHP-ian gentlemen (Oxy, Rajeevraj, vharihar, dark.knight, ferrarirules, Nalin1, Nissan1180, arit.mondal, Arjun Reddy, IshaanIan, Redline6800) here who helped me to refresh my outlook, and go for the Verna instead of the City.
AjayJohri is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 19:13   #1046
BHPian

The Hyundai sold car cover for the Verna is awesome. It has a ceramic coating that ensures there are no scratches while removing the cover and putting it back on. Using the covers is simple and I use that overnight. The glossy red colour is awesome on the Verna but it needs some care.

Highly recommend this car cover from Hyundai. Cost me INR 1399
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-img20171107wa0014.jpg  

Last edited by bhpfaninblr : 7th November 2017 at 19:30.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 19:51   #1047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Hyundai sold car cover for the Verna is awesome. It has a ceramic coating that ensures there are no scratches while removing the cover and putting it back on. Using the covers is simple and I use that overnight. The glossy red colour is awesome on the Verna but it needs some care.Highly recommend this car cover from Hyundai. Cost me INR 1399
Are you very sure of the part in bold? Which brand car cover is this please. Though it is provided by Hyundai, the maker name will be present on the cover. My Fiesta Classic car cover was a Polco make. Putting it up here will help others too. Also I have never heard of ceramic coating in a car cover ever so far. Hence the curiosity about the brand of the cover.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 21:07   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Are you very sure of the part in bold? Which brand car cover is this please... Also I have never heard of ceramic coating in a car cover ever so far.
You literally took the question out of my mouth. Would be interesting to know which cover gives the ceramic coat protection at such mouth watering prices.

Or is it the car that has undergone the ceramic coating and not the car cover?

Quote:
It has a ceramic coating that ensures there are no scratches while removing the cover and putting it back on.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 21:14   #1049
BHPian

Quote:
Are you very sure of the part in bold? Which brand car cover is this please. Though it is provided by Hyundai, the maker name will be present on the cover. My Fiesta Classic car cover was a Polco make. Putting it up here will help others too. Also I have never heard of ceramic coating in a car cover ever so far. Hence the curiosity about the brand of the cover.
Not sure. I quoted what I was told when I bought it. It is definitely of good quality. I dont even know about ceramic coatings except that tbe SA told me that prevents scratches

Buyer beware!
Old 7th November 2017, 22:29   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
The Hyundai sold car cover for the Verna is awesome. It has a ceramic coating that ensures there are no scratches while removing the cover and putting it back on.
I don't see any official accessory list on Hyundai website and/or Verna's brochure. Perhaps this is something sourced by dealership itself and may not have any connection with Hyundai per se.
IMHO the 'ceramic coating under the cover' is just marketing BS - the coating is actually meant to be done on the car to protect paint against minor scratches of all kinds, including those happening due to frequent use of cover (the minute dust particles that get trapped on the inside of the cover tend to produce inevitable minute scratches when putting/removing the cover)

Quote:
Which brand car cover is this please. Though it is provided by Hyundai, the maker name will be present on the cover.
Quote:
It is definitely of good quality.
Good to know that! Perhaps you can check the brand as abhinav recommended and share - I'd want to buy one for my older generation Verna if they make one for it. Not to mention it'll be helpful for other new gen Verna owners.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks