Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2006, 07:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

I was expecting a radically different interior layout, but it turns out that it isnt so different from the current one. The beige plastic looks toooo shiny, IMHO. The "T"ata steering wheel will grow on the users I guess. The dials look great though!
Old 8th September 2006, 08:20   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
.. haven't able to know what Indigo V-Series is! .... Is it a stripped down version of Indigo like SX Series which was loaded version???
Recent information about Tata vehicles indicates a lower end version for the taxi segment - based on the existing 1.4 litre engine. Basically the Indicab cars becoming the V-series [V for value?]

The face-lifted Indica could be the ones getting the new engines, and more changes - at a higher price than the V series. Tata's way of creating two product lines?
Old 9th September 2006, 21:59   #48
BHPian

on Display

Saw the new Indigo @ The Hindu metrolife exhebition today. It was put on display by prerana motors. The steering wheel is quite sporty, better than what it looks in print.
Old 9th September 2006, 22:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

saw oen today ( some kind of orange color or so). At a glance it looks like the old Indigo:(
Old 9th September 2006, 22:26   #50
Team-BHP Support

went and checked out the car at the showroom. LX diesel version is 6.13 onroad here in blore. not much change the dials are diff, the dash is the same jus the lower part has been changed a little. the fit and finish is better. the steering wheel is of smaller size nd is pretty cool nice to hold too. the exteriors the front bumper is new, the headlights, the back bumper and small change to back taillights.

the v-series is the older one and will be sold till all the stocks are exhausted.
Old 10th September 2006, 04:06   #51
BHPian

Indigo changes superficial - Dicor next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
I guess it stands for "Value" edition. Value for money that is. You get a 3 box spacious sedan for the price of a B+ segment car. Maybe they will sell it in the old looks and interiors mainly targeted at taxi fleets.
Yes I agree with dceite that the V (probable value) series will appeal more to the taxi segment and the new facelifted one is for the public. The V series base diesel model VE is priced at Rs. 4.70 ex-showroom Delhi - without power steering but with HVAC. This will serve the purpose of a taxi, as power steering is expendable in case of taxi drivers and the car has the same independent three-link suspension at the rear with HVAC - which translates to same level of comfort for passengers. Anyways the VS version with power steering is around 20k more than the base version, which does not really break the bank.

Hopefully the new facelifted Indigo/Marina will get the DiCor engines but not before March 2007. This facelift has been done to keep interest in the brand alive and make way for the Dicor engine. A marginal increase in the price is expected next year with the Dicor engine and this is acceptable. It will still rout the Ford Fiesta TDCi in terms of value for money. The recent variant of Fiesta TDCi with reduced Delhi ex-showroom price of around Rs. 7 lacs is still almost Rs. TWO LACS more as compared to the current Indigo TDI - with a relatively similar powered (around 68 bhp) engine (I’m just comparing the engine bhp figures here) though I believe the TDCi is slightly more fuel efficient and torquey because of it having a common rail unit. I’ve tried to compare facts, but my views can be biased as I am an Indigo owner (2006 LS TDI).
Old 10th September 2006, 11:43   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007
Hopefully the new facelifted Indigo/Marina will get the DiCor engines but not before March 2007.
hey jessie..how sure are you about this March 2007 launch cuz I had been holding up my plans to buy the Dicor Indigo till diwali(if it was launched).If it's gonna take 6 more months, Do u think i should go for the TDI available now?I plan to go for the LX.
Old 10th September 2006, 12:02   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A marginal increase in the price is expected next year with the Dicor engine and this is acceptable. It will still rout the Ford Fiesta TDCi in terms of value for money. The recent variant of Fiesta TDCi with reduced Delhi ex-showroom price of around Rs. 7 lacs is still almost Rs. TWO LACS more as compared to the current Indigo TDI - with a relatively similar powered (around 68 bhp) engine (I’m just comparing the engine bhp figures here) though I believe the TDCi is slightly more fuel efficient and torquey because of it having a common rail unit. I’ve tried to compare facts, but my views can be biased as I am an Indigo owner (2006 LS TDI).
Jessie you are right about the price difference among the two but in my opinion Fiesta & Indigo cater to two completely different customers. A customer with the budget of a Fiesta would not like the Indigo simply because he would appreciate the better interiors, more refinement, percieved build quality & general fit-and-finish of the Fiesta over the Indigo.

Whereas a customer on a smaller budget would not spend the extra money since he would see no value in doing that & so would buy the Indigo.

See for all customers priorities are different some want comfortable/good quality interiors, some want performance, some want looks, some want vaue for money etc.

So IMHO the new Indigo will sell but I don't think it'll make much of a dent in the Fiesta's sales simply they cater to two completely different segments.
Old 11th September 2006, 02:48   #54
BHPian

Hey iraghava, I completely agree regarding the Indigo and Fiesta catering to two different customer-segments. I was comparing JUST the bhp figures of the two vehicles (which are similar) vis-a-vis the price. Again it is a known fact that the Fiesta TDCi is slightly more fuel efficient and torquey because of it having a common rail unit. So I was solely pointing out to the similar bhp figures of the two vehicles vis-a-vis the price and the effect of a more powerful Dicor Indigo having on the total mid-size diesel marketshare, where the Indigo stands alone in the lower-end of the midsize segment and the Fiesta TDCi being in competition with the Accent CRDi.
Old 11th September 2006, 03:54   #55
BHPian

Hi

Does anyone have an idea if the Indica too is going to get a facelift?
Old 11th September 2006, 04:25   #56
BHPian

Indigo Dicor probabe launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor3624
hey jessie..how sure are you about this March 2007 launch cuz I had been holding up my plans to buy the Dicor Indigo till diwali(if it was launched).If it's gonna take 6 more months, Do u think i should go for the TDI available now?I plan to go for the LX.
Hey raptor3624, my views regarding the Indigo Dicor's launch being around March 2007 are personal. The 1.4 Dicor engine was expected to be launched by August, but we have only got a face-lifted Indigo range for now. So I believe development is still going on and the engines will be out only by next year. One also has to keep in mind the Euro IV emission norms which have come into full-effect in Europe, but are applicable for India by 2010 only, although there is speculation that this date may be advanced by a year or two. (Ref: http://www.ecmaindia.com/news.html [FONT=Arial]ECMA News Flash Nov. 2005 Vol. 35[/FONT] )

As far as you waiting for the DiCOR Indigo is concerned, I would say it is worth waiting for and frankly there is very little news coming our from TATA Motors so there is a possibility that it can be launched anytime between October/November 2005 and March 2007. If you can wait, I think you should. The motor features a new head as well as intake system and the unit is expected in both 70 and 90bhp guises, but you are expected to shell out more for modern technology.

I know that Tata Motors keeps on working to improve the product soon after launching it and some people believe than it is worth waiting a few months till one gets a report on the engine/car getting a run-in and evaluate its performance. I also went for the TDi few months after the launch.

There is some information I came across in a thread ( Tata Motors to launch DiCOR engine cars ) by tsk1979, regarding the complicated fuel delivery mechanism of a common rail injection system. According to tsk1979 “… with DICOR niggling gets expensive. If some niggling problem results in the fuel delivery mechanism getting screwed up, you are looking at a huge bill”. I believe this can happen due to use of adulterated diesel. If you are living in a metropolitan city and fill-up from a good pump, I don’t think things should come to that stage. And I think occasional use of additives helps in keeping the injectors clean.

I know I might be sounding contradictory, but I believe that Tata motors has made giant strides from the days of launching the Indica and chances are that the soon to be launched 1.4 Dicor Indigo will be a relatively safe bet – with more power and better fuel economy.

The final decision is yours and yours alone to take.
Old 11th September 2006, 11:55   #57
BHPian

thanks a lot.So big would be the difference between the TDI and Dicor(1.4)?20-30 grand?wats the speculation??I agree one has to pay a significant amount for modern technology but if it's priced more...then it wouldn't be TATA car ,right??
Old 11th September 2006, 12:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
According to tsk1979 “… with DICOR niggling gets expensive. If some niggling problem results in the fuel delivery mechanism getting screwed up, you are looking at a huge bill”. I believe this can happen due to use of adulterated diesel. If you are living in a metropolitan city and fill-up from a good pump, I don’t think things should come to that stage.
Been using a Dicor engine (even if 1st generation) for about 23k kms now and I can confirm that I have had no issues with the engine - quite to the contrary, the engine seems to be doing better with age.

As regards adultrated fuel, the sensor in the Fuel Filter has stopped the engine once - we found kerosene and water in the filter, but the ECU seems to have protected the engine itself by cutting off the electronic throttle. I think its better to get temporarily stuck in this way than to end up with costly engine maintenance later.

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th September 2006 at 12:31.
Old 11th September 2006, 12:38   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Been using a Dicor engine (even if 1st generation) for about 23k kms now and I can confirm that I have had no issues with the engine - quite to the contrary, the engine seems to be doing better with age.
I understand you have a 4 year warranty. Does it cover these parts. could you check your extended warranty booklet?
1. AC idler (Fails at around 30K)
2. Thermostat (Fails at around 40K)
3. Condensor fan (Gives up around 45K)
4. Compressor(Including bearings etc.,) (30-40 K, depending on use)
5. Power steering bearings (55K or whereabouts)
6. Alternator(Including the electronics inside like the regulator etc.,(All IC) ) (50K)
7. Starter motor. (60K)
8. Rear brake drum seals(Dangerous and can lead to boom (60K) )
9. AC panel switch and resistor (30K max life)
10. Fuel pump(Overhaul required at 70K or so, and maybe sooner if bad fuel).

This is the Tata indica/indigo faliure list. Since these parts a are sourced from same company (AC subros, Electroics TVS + Chinese) I am assuming these to be the faliure rates.

I never doubt tata engines. Only an abuser or owner of a lemon can have problems.
but their electronics are as reliable as a walmart christmas tree

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th September 2006 at 12:40.
Old 11th September 2006, 13:05   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I understand you have a 4 year warranty. Does it cover these parts. could you check your extended warranty booklet?
1. AC idler (Fails at around 30K)
2. Thermostat (Fails at around 40K)
3. Condensor fan (Gives up around 45K)
4. Compressor(Including bearings etc.,) (30-40 K, depending on use)
5. Power steering bearings (55K or whereabouts)
6. Alternator(Including the electronics inside like the regulator etc.,(All IC) ) (50K)
7. Starter motor. (60K)
8. Rear brake drum seals(Dangerous and can lead to boom (60K) )
9. AC panel switch and resistor (30K max life)
10. Fuel pump(Overhaul required at 70K or so, and maybe sooner if bad fuel).

This is the Tata indica/indigo faliure list. Since these parts a are sourced from same company (AC subros, Electroics TVS + Chinese) I am assuming these to be the faliure rates.

I never doubt tata engines. Only an abuser or owner of a lemon can have problems.
but their electronics are as reliable as a walmart christmas tree
Oh man tsk :-(

you are scaring me big time. i have an indica tcic at 8.5K on the odometer. But nothing wrong as yet though. :-) but your numbered list is a bit too detailed than i would have liked.

Last edited by hell_rider : 11th September 2006 at 13:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks