Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2015, 13:44   #106
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV

I think Honda are going the Hybrid way. The current 1.5L i-DTEC is notorious for its NVH. The reason given by Honda for this is the aluminum block which helps in saving the weight but NVH takes a beating. When one hears this engine, it feels so "un-Honda". So they might have decided to plonk in the 1.6L diesel along with a hybrid system similar to Maruti and get in the 12.5% excise bracket. This makes a lot of sense to me. Let us wait and watch.
Old 12th October 2015, 11:24   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Motor Octane's sources confirm that the BR-V will come with an 1.5L i-DTEC diesel heart only, and the 1.6L i-DTEC won't be on offer.

What's more interesting to note, however, is that the BR-V diesel shall have the option of two transmissions! The second one is speculated to be an automatic - either a conventional AT or an AMT.

Quote:
There have been rumours that the Honda BR-V is likely to come with a 1.6-litre diesel engine for the Indian car market. However, our sources close to the company’s Indian plant confirm that Honda won’t be getting the BR-V with a 1.6-litre diesel, and it shall retain the same 1.5-litre diesel engine.

However, what can be a surprise is another new transmission that will be offered on the diesel engine (this could be an automatic or maybe an AMT).
Motor Octane
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 13:36   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Motor Octane's sources confirm that the BR-V will come with an 1.5L i-DTEC diesel heart only, and the 1.6L i-DTEC won't be on offer.

What's more interesting to note, however, is that the BR-V diesel shall have the option of two transmissions! The second one is speculated to be an automatic - either a conventional AT or an AMT.

Motor Octane
Avi, thank you for keeping those tid-bits coming in. If not for this message I had almost zeroed on sending you a private message to get some insider information from Honda (as you being owner of two verions of Honda City, you surely must have some good contacts). However this news has been very disappointing to say the least. This again seems to be a half hearted attempt from Honda to ride the compact SUV wave. First they tried to target the space between Ertiga and Innova with the Mobilio and now they want to have a pie of the Creta and Duster market with the BRV.

My eyes had lit up with the news of the 1.6 litre oil burner, producing a meaty torque of 300NM, coming under the hood of the BRV. Momentarily I thought of ditching the Ertiga facelift and wait for the BRV till April-2016. But now knowing that Honda is not going to take that bold step, there is no point in pursuig the BRV

Honda has been smart enough to use the City's interiors in BRV, however the side profile and those doors, which are a straight lift from the Mobilio mars the whole experience. I don't think the BRV can find many takers if not priced very aggressively compared to its nearest competition.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 17:09   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Honda has been smart enough to use the City's interiors in BRV, however the side profile and those doors, which are a straight lift from the Mobilio mars the whole experience. I don't think the BRV can find many takers if not priced very aggressively compared to its nearest competition.
Considering the fact that the BRV is about 60 mm longer, 50 mm wider and 50 mm higher than the Mobilio, with same diesel engine how much premium can they expect? Diesel Mobilio trades between 8.24L to 11.78L, which is already considered overpriced.

But now, it comes with a City's exterior and interior looks, it is highly likely that they add additional features and charge it slightly more than City (Because of the extra row of seats) - something like they did with Ciaz & S-Cross or Verna & Creta.
So, seeing the competition's pricing, my estimates:
Though we do not know for sure which engine will be released, whether there will be petrol or not, etc, we can revise our expected prices, when the specs gets leaked (these days it would be leaked by the manufacturers themselves anyway, to create hype!).

The following is assuming that just there will be one 1.5 iDtec on offer, just like Indonesia.

E - 8.9L
S - 9.7L
SV - 10.5L
V - 10.9L
VX - 11.9L
VX(O) - 12.4L

Automatic versions if they provide -
S (AT) - 10.9L
V (AT) - 12.1L

All this, assuming, BR-V is competing with Creta and the like and the USP being the additional row of seats.
If they can provide a comfortable seating for 7, with such price, they will have a very good MPV (not SUV though). Space lovers whose other options are the lower end Ertiga and the higher end Innova would buy this.

Hope we get more info soon, to build more assumptions
Old 21st October 2015, 12:25   #110
BHPian

BR-V seems to be a right product for India in the segment & price bracket they need now.
IMHO, Price bracket in which BR-V is going to be retailed now might overlap the price at which once CR-V retailed.
Strange fact !

BR-V does have all the right ingredients too like Powerful & fuel efficient i-DTEC diesel engine, 7-seater or 5+2 seater layout, Striking looks specially from Front that looks Heavy & imposing but what can't gel well with its overall stance is the Mobilio-like kink at its Rear Door. Though it does gel well with the Aerodynamic flow lines in Mobilio but these clearly looks overdone & break the monotomy of the rugged & strong feel what BR-V exudes.
And looks, despite from being a subjective opinion can be deciding factor for a product, that it should fare in the market.

So, Honda need to think it upon once before its launch here by the means of survey, customer clinics & product display.
Old 27th October 2015, 14:40   #111
BHPian

HONDA BR-V First Drive Impressions by Gaadi.com

What is it? BR-V 7-Seat SUV
When will it come to India? Early 2016
Engine options: Diesel and Petrol

"On the move, the petrol engine feels nice, peppy and refined. Like in the City, the VTEC motor in the B-RV loves to be revved and produces most of the grunt higher up the rev-range. The additional weight of the SUV however is evident and it does not pull away with the similar kind of pace as of the City. The steering also feels light and nimble and offers just about enough feedback to let you know what the front tyres are upto. Good enough for a car that is aimed to carry a family around. The 6-speed manual gearbox felt precise with short and crisp gear throws.

Driving position is commanding and you sit much higher than say in the Mobilio. Thanks to the higher seating position, you also get brilliant view of the road ahead and things around. The B-RV has a ground clearance of 200mm and rides on 16-inch wheels.
Being a Honda, the interior of the B-RV score high in terms of practicality. The cabin is spacious and the seats are comfortable. With the driver seat adjusted to a 6 footer, passengers on the second row seats will still have about 2-3 inches of free space between their knee and the back of the front seat. The third-row in comparison feels a bit tight, but wasn't too uncomfortable. The only concern in the cabin, space-wise, is the limited shoulder room.

Boot space is ample even with all the 3 rows up, and gobbling family luggage during vacations won't be a problem.

Source: http://www.gaadi.com/news/honda-br-v...e-report-86619
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-img_4402copy.jpg  

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-12185101_10156290308785226_8628842905125151015_o-copy.jpg  

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-img_4421copy.jpg  

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-12194658_10156290445710226_7602213383494367928_o-copy.jpg  

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-12182579_10156290308855226_5669860749599974450_o-copy.jpg  

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-img_4449copy.jpg  

kalleo4 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 15:21   #112
BHPian

The infamous round plastic cover where the engine start-stop button would have been makes it way to the BR-V too! Well, at least in the AT variant.

Also, it seems that the AT will not be offered in the highest variant.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-img_4430copy.jpg  

sohu9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 16:31   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Interiors of the BR-V have been detailed by IAB.

Arriving in India next year with 1.5L i-VTEC & 1.5L i-DTEC hearts. No 1.6L i-DTEC on offer, as was previously speculated.

The i-VTEC mill will get a 6-speed transmission, and possibly a 7-step CVT as well. If offered, it will be the first and exclusively developed for the BR-V.

The steering wheel is borrowed from the Brio/Amaze/Mobilio bin, while the dashboard and speedo have been lifted from the City/Jazz twins.

Notice how thin the seats are, especially the front seats?! I hope they have enough bolstering to support heavyset individuals when launched in India. Also, the very useless dead pedal continues.

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvdashboardprototype900x599.jpeg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvacprototype900x599.jpeg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvautomaticacprototype900x599.jpeg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvinstrumentclusterattwinringmotegi900x675.jpeg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvfrontseatsattwinringmotegi900x675.jpeg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvsecondrowspaceprototype900x599.jpeg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvlastrowseatsprototype900x599.jpeg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvbootattwinringmotegi900x675.jpeg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvbootfloorattwinringmotegi900x675.jpeg

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvmusicsystemprototype900x599.jpeg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 27th October 2015 at 16:53.
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 18:29   #114
BHPian

Is it just me, or does that dashboard layout just looks absolutely AWKWARD? And more so with the Brio/Amaze plain-jane steering wheel mounted on it. The central infotainment system in the pictures seems to be totally out of place too. The whole car for that matter, inside-out looks very haphazardly designed. Neither an SUV nor an MUV, not even a crossover. A big thumbs-down on the design front from my side.

If Honda is pitting the BR-V against the likes of Creta/Duster/Terrano, then I'm really sorry to say but it might run down a similar fate as currently being experienced by the Mobilio. The only option for them is to pit it as an extremely VFM offering with an added advantage of a third row seating, but I really don't see that happening either as it will surely be positioned a tad bit higher than Mobilio which itself is priced atrociously high for what it offers.

P.S. - Just a personal opinion. Looks are a purely subjective thing I believe.
GameOfCars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 18:32   #115
BHPian

Looks like they have managed to design a decent boot with 3rd row up.
Also the 3rd leg room seems to be good or is it the reclining angle of the 2nd row seat that creates an illusion- the 7th pic.
Or is the thigh support massively compromised to liberate legroom but by the look of, it does seem ok

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 27th October 2015 at 18:34.
Old 27th October 2015, 19:47   #116
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sad to see Honda stoop to these levels in interior quality when Hyundai and suzuki are improving in their latest offerings. Also the thickness of the 3rd row bench

Last edited by m8002? : 27th October 2015 at 20:15.
Old 27th October 2015, 20:09   #117
Senior - BHPian

There's a slider for the interior/exterior air circulation!!!! What year is this?
Deeps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 20:42   #118
Senior - BHPian

It's got the looks, power, and the Honda badge. The engine options are decent, and it's got the third row of seats, which is not available with Duster, Creta or S-Cross.

Honda should have good success with this product if they launch it within that price range.
Old 27th October 2015, 20:43   #119

The front facia looks good but that's it about the car. The rear lights have a resemblance to the new civic. The interiors are not appealing at all.
I can see from the pics that no seat belt height adjust either, front seats are extremely thin , AVN system looks aftermarket. It looks like an MPV trying to be a crossover trying to be a SUV. WHY HONDA WHY.

All i can say is TATA HEXA would be a better choice and looks good too.

Looks are subjective
Old 27th October 2015, 20:49   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Exterior walkthrough video:

Interior walkthrough video:

The Mobilio footprint and shadow is unmistakable. I dare say it looks like a revamped Mobilio from some exterior angles.

Since this is a full 7-seater, I expect it to be priced closer to the XUV500's pricing, and at a slight premium over the Creta/Duster/Terrano, etc.

Interior fit and finish certainly doesn't look as decent as it should for an SUV offering in the Rs.10 lakh+ price range. I really hope they improve upon this critical aspect when it lands on Indian shores.

ACI review is out:

Quote:
There’s a nice mix of textures on the dash and the general finish is noticeably better, though it’s still not quite at Hyundai Creta benchmark levels. Either way, the feel from behind the wheel is that of sitting in a jacked-up Jazz. The seating position isn’t all that high but visibility is still good; the high dash top might not be to everyone’s liking. Again, Honda hasn’t revealed final specs just as yet but it’s safe to assume the BR-V will come with a touchscreen infotainment system as the one on our test car. Interestingly, the prototype featured a conventional arrangement for the climate control system rather than the futuristic but distracting touch panel from the City and Jazz.

Our drive in the BR-V wasn't very long and was conducted on a Honda test track, but first impressions from behind the wheel suggest that Honda has done an extremely good job. Straightline stability is extremely good to begin with. Yes, the long wheelbase does help and so does the fact that the suspension and chassis have been stiffened, but you are so relaxed behind the wheel, it really is quite impressive. What adds to this feeling of confidence is that the steering system is very direct and has very little slack or play. It has a nice weight to it and this allows you to place the BR-V quite accurately on the road. You do feel the length of the car, especially in tighter corners, and the BR-V does roll a bit too, but get behind the wheel and the car masks its length so well, it is difficult to believe this car is built around the same basic platform as the Brio.

What also helps give you confidence are the bigger brakes. Stopping power is really good and the bite point on the brakes is so well defined, you can just hit them, knowing full well that the BR-V will come to a quick halt, exactly as planned. Judging the ride however proved to be almost impossible. Honda's test track inside its Motegi Circuit Complex is as smooth as a baby's bottom, so the suspension didn't really get a work out.
ACI

Last edited by RavenAvi : 27th October 2015 at 20:58.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed