Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2006, 01:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Base model exshowroom price now Rs 8.85 lakhs
As appeared in economic times.
please visit:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1956597.cms

This is clearly in response to the civic launch .Similalry skoda has started abs on all octavias now it seems.Thank you so much honda.

Bye the way dealer talk in pune is that Innova base model prices could also go downwards soon.
Old 5th September 2006, 11:50   #2
BHPian

Neither the toyota website nor the article mentions anything regarding what is being offered for this much amount. If its the case of offering an Elantra GT without ABS, Airbags for 6.99 lacs, then shame on Toyota for going down this path.

Any inputs on the specs and/or features for this car?

Thanks,
Sumit
Old 5th September 2006, 12:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dont have any input regarding specs yet but I too have a feeling it would be a completely stripped down corolla .
Old 5th September 2006, 12:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

The ground is being cleared for Toyota Corolla taxis, it seems that the Toyota has an inborn affinity for the taxi crowd. Wot say lads ?
Old 5th September 2006, 13:52   #5
DRC
BHPian

Me too guess the same... Stripped Corolla, with D4D engine (which I read is planned in ACI) is going to swoop luxury taxi market. And Toyota may be just eyeing that.
Innova, being targetted at the second car market, to my guess did not work too well, Numbers were big enough but never close to their hard call.
Old 5th September 2006, 14:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Innova too may go the qualis[taxi] way in a year or two.After all the taxi market is where toyota qualis got its numbers.
Expect an even more stripped down version of the innova in the near future as well.
Old 5th September 2006, 18:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
Me too guess the same... Stripped Corolla, with D4D engine (which I read is planned in ACI) is going to swoop luxury taxi market. And Toyota may be just eyeing that.
Innova, being targetted at the second car market, to my guess did not work too well, Numbers were big enough but never close to their hard call.
When the production of qualis was stopped one of the reasons cited was to stop toyota qualis being used as a taxi due its relatively cheaper price. And Toyota wanted to introduce a luxury MUV suited for large families and the price not in the reach of the taxi market. Alas! whatever happened to that. Comparitively in india Honda is more serious with their strategy. And good that introduction of civic helps to reduce the prices of corolla and the octavia. Skoda should stop selling the old octavia and the outdated corolla should be stopped and replaced with a next gen car.
Old 5th September 2006, 19:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Right said Landcruiser, Civic launch has created good and agrressive planning. I hate to see to see too many models for single car because it cretaes confusion and frustration among buyers. For example If Toyota had offered ABS as an option on G variants also I am sure more people would have baught Innova right away. Or If there is only 2 models of Innovas like Base model and top Model then it would have been very nice. for this I liked Civic very much, Every Civillian who buy civic gets every features offered except automatic and mannual drive which is essential.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 5th September 2006, 23:13   #9

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

i guess toyota is trying to kill two birds with one stone.they are targeting the honda civic with the h2-h5 versions while also targeting the honda city vtec with the base model which is only 85k more than the vtec.the base model is stripped down to the extent that it still has power steering,windows,defogger but no wood facia,no leather,nno climate control,no fancy music system.honda sold 2400 civics in just one month compared to the 1000 they had planned to sell.thas like stealing 1400 customers from toyota and skoda.
Old 6th September 2006, 13:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat
I hate to see to see too many models for single car because it cretaes confusion and frustration among buyers.
Too many variants do create confusion. Honda has very minimal options in all categories. But still for the City Vtec they dont give leather seats as an option. Dont know why. Civic seems to have many features by default that its competitors doesnt provide. Space, Power and the extra odd stuff could be one reason to sell 2400 cars in a month.
Old 6th September 2006, 18:53   #11
BHPian

Cheaper base versions

Its kind of a marketting stratergy in keeping in mind that all people dont really require all the features including that of the engine as mentioned. All are not going to be rally or race drivers.

Innova for its size, requires to have decent comfort ride (suspension), AC will be a must considering that taxi options are huge with it. After that its not so huge a requirement to have posh seats, great interior works and looks etc. They can come down with kick down versions whcih can be more affordable. They are already in a price range which puts it a band where you tend to consider why you buy a vehicle of that size. Thats when many settle for the mid size cars instead of these. Making the price close to a lakh higher than the mid size cars with hood and bonnet will make things easier for sales figures to grow up.
Old 6th September 2006, 19:52   #12
BHPian

What is the use of a Corolla without all the fancy stuff? Will they even have airbags in it? It sounds stupid to pay 9lakhs for a car which does not have airbags in it.
Old 6th September 2006, 20:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the Indian market sir.
Old 6th September 2006, 20:33   #14
BHPian

I think just cutting price won't do. Toyota will have to launch a fresh Corolla in order to sustain in such hard competition. Octy, Cedia and now Civic!
Old 7th September 2006, 14:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
I think just cutting price won't do. Toyota will have to launch a fresh Corolla in order to sustain in such hard competition. Octy, Cedia and now Civic!
Can anyone give Cedia sales figures. This is a decent looking car inside and outside with good features. If i get a decent sales figure to convince myself, i will be seriously lookg at buying one.Apparently there aren't much on roads in HYD.
I think creating confusion with more variants is a kind of strategy. Atleast they get some pies if not many! I seriously think so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks