Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2006, 01:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota to manufacture small cars in India

Sep,2006

In 18 months' time, Toyota will roll out a small car, made in India. It's putting up a plant that will make 1.5 lakh small cars a year. Sources say the car will sell for Rs 4.5-6 lakh. Toyota has designed this car specifically for India. It has developed a prototype, and will modify its design at the new plant.

Toyota's small car is key to its Indian plans. It aims to corner 10% of the market or 2 lakh cars in the next 4 years. Sales of its Corolla sedan have been hit ever since Honda launched its Civic. And Innova hasn't met sales targets.

To cut transport costs, Toyota will lay a railway track connecting its plant to the Mysore-Bangalore railway route. Simultaneously, Toyota is expanding its dealership network so that when its first car rolls out, it would head straight into competition with Maruti and Hyundai.
Source:moneycontrol.com
Old 5th September 2006, 09:58   #2
BWN
BHPian

What I heard from a friend of mine was that a Small car(B+ segment) is to be launched and the ground work has already begun. As he is in Paintshop, he was assigned a project to arrange the paintshop for the new model.He told me that its slated for a launch in late 2008 only and he told me that it is the same 'Yaris" with slight tune up for Indian conditions.

Many test vehicles are already plying within the campus and they are planning to plonk a diesel motor too.
Old 5th September 2006, 10:10   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Toyotas in it for the long run, I can tell you that. And when the Japanese giant announces plans to enter the mass-market (small cars), you can bet everyone will be watching closely.

This is going to be darn interesting. Daihatsu?
Old 5th September 2006, 10:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota, Not the Yaris, .
I'd rather continue with my Indigo's than that one ..
Old 5th September 2006, 12:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

If its the yaris, The sedan version aint that bad actually.If its the yaris only then I think toyota will go the chevrolet way and launch both a sedan as well as hatch[called liftback].

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 5th September 2006 at 12:31.
Old 5th September 2006, 12:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
. Toyota has designed this car specifically for India. It has developed a prototype, and will modify its design at the new plant.

Therefore I think toyota would do a Ford india,and come out with something new.Trust toyota/daihatsu on that.
Old 5th September 2006, 12:42   #7
BHPian

Well, i hope its the YARIS Hatch that they get to India from Thailand! its just awesome! lovely is the word!
Old 5th September 2006, 18:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
This one looks cool. A 1.4 motor should be cool with it.
Old 6th September 2006, 00:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

another car of interest is the newly idegeniously produced model for china by toyota:

Its called FAW Xiali C1
Old 6th September 2006, 08:53   #10
BHPian

The chinese version looks pretty good. I think Yaris is not in the segment that will be priced at Rs.4.5L in India. Yaris may be a bit bigger than Aveo/ Accent and also costs more than Aveo in the US market.
Old 6th September 2006, 09:57   #11
BHPian

the chinese version looks like the palio man
Old 29th November 2006, 01:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

There is model called Honda Fit in US, which was also recently launched in South Africa. It is powered by 1.5L I4 Vtech engine but produces 109bhp. But considering the 4 to 5 lakh range, they might come out with the similar specifications as the NHC may with around 80bhp.

Honda Fit looks similar to the NHC, except it is a hatch. If the interiors are same as the NHC, then it will kick in the a$$ of swift and getz and may be the higher-end indica petrol and palio petrol, because its the 'HONDA' which comes along. Only the deisel versions(if they launch) of swift or getz can counter it. Indica and Palio are already comes with deisel.
Old 29th November 2006, 02:25   #13

Honda city is 4 door version of Honda Fit

I know wikipedia is not a trustable source.
Just for the your info, here is the entry about honda city and honda fit
Honda Airwave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 29th November 2006, 02:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Honda Fit would be really hard to do in a price range of 4-5 Lakhs. I think if launched it'll not be less than 6L on the road & that'll be simply too expensive for a hatch even if it's a Honda since the sales numbers will be pretty small to make any dent in the mainstream market.

Manufacturers for hatchbacks today are seriously looking at exploiting the duty cut for small cars by plonking in smaller engines & reducing the lengths of the cars by playing around with the bumpers etc. Since it is in this segment that the real sales numbers lie.

The Toyota Yaris if launched with decent engines esp diesel could really dent the Indigo/Fiesta/Verna market depending upon its prices, trim levels & engine choices. Toyota has a great brand name in India but their policies here have been a little weird uptil now. Hopefully, this time they'll launch a good product at a reasonable price at the right time!
Old 29th November 2006, 10:27   #15
Team-BHP Support

The Chinese version displayed above looked pretty decent.
The Yaris pic , specially the rear view resembled a slimmed down NHC.
I seriously dont think that cud fit into the 4-6 lakh range.

Am beginning to feel that all new cars look similar when viewed from the front.. the drawn back headlamps contributing a great deal to that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks