Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2015, 14:04   #1561
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobydick1983 View Post
Price revision in January, it seems.
Even i got to hear from an unofficial source of a price revision of about 20-30k sometime in Jan. But somehow, it doesn't sound logical from a marketing perspective, given the fact that it'll lose its pricing USP vis-a-vis an Elite i20
Old 25th November 2015, 15:46   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If they have used high tensile steel, shouldn't the parts feel solid? It's ok to feel lighter (while lifting), but if you press hard on the panels, it should stay rigid. Has anyone tried that??
I tried doing that on the Baleno when I had visited the showroom.
I would put it this way. The sheet metal is not "unpressable" in the sense as expected here, but it is not like the Wagon R that I had done the same treatment when checked.

Press hard and you will see it curve slightly. So, net net, that sheet metal on the Baleno is better than the one used on the Wagon R/Santro.

This I do only to check how rigid the body is and not to understand the safety aspect. Moreover, high tensile steel would not be used on the body panels. At most, they would use it in the crumple zone, etc. Please do not expect it to be used on the Body panels. They also need to make profit after selling it at 4.99 !

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 25th November 2015 at 15:49.
vinit.merchant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 16:34   #1563
Distinguished - BHPian

Checked out the Baleno and appalled to see what Maruti has done to the name, 'Baleno'. They could have just named it something else and left the 'Baleno' name at peace. Indians will anyways buy anything from Maruti with a 1.3L Diesel; so why bother?

I really couldn't understand on what basis this car is claimed (by the Nexa dealership and media) to be a premium hatchback.

The plastic around the gear lever console has sharp edges. Swift has better quality plastics and finish. VW and Hyundai seem to be from a different planet in comparison.

The NVH in the diesel variant was poor. Again Swift seemed better.

Good luck to customers loading and unloading luggage in the boot which has a very high loading height.

Only good thing from the test drive was the Nexa experience. Sales reps are well groomed and informed.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 18:05   #1564
BHPian

Many members have mentioned that the Baleno looks quite like the VW Polo from some angles, specially the rear profile. I for some reasons disagree with that. Polo has more straight flowing lines where as Baleno has more fluidic and rounded curvatures. Anyhow, managed to click some pics of my Polo parked right next to a new Baleno. Sorry for the weird camera angles and the low picture clarity as I was in a bit of a hurry.

My 3.5 years old VW Polo alongside the new Baleno. (Both in white)

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-img_9469.jpg
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-img_9467.jpg
GameOfCars is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 20:28   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartman View Post

This would have given them a greater reach in the market. Just imagine just 4 dealerships for the whole Mumbai, Navi Mumbai and Thane Regions. The next closest showroom is in Pune.

Maruti has to rethink its sales policy if they want to sell the Baleno in large numbers.
+1 on this. I just checked up MSIL website on the number of regular showrooms. Mumbai mainland city has 17 showrooms, Thane city has 5, Navi Mumbai has 5 odd, Virar to Dahisar region has 3 odd. Add to it showrooms in Kalyan area and Panvel area, you might be having minimum 40 plus MSIL dealer network to cover the entire Mumbai Metropolitan Region and extended suburbs.
Compare that with 4 Nexa showrooms for a car like Baleno in Mumbai priced OTR between 6-10 lakhs, MSIL was asking for trouble with this Nexa-Baleno concept catering to such a huge population and adding a whole bunch of frustrated prospective customers due to a delivery channel which frankly cannot cater to this demand.
Old 25th November 2015, 21:48   #1566

Went Nexa on OMR chennai one again today and i had a good experience. The place was not crowded and had only 2/3 other customers. I was attended to very well.

Noticed that the stock tyres are Apollos but spare is MRF! That looked strange!
Old 25th November 2015, 23:38   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
It was said that NEXA had got people from non-automobile background as RMs. I feel this could be one of the reasons as these few RMs who have not sold cars earlier may not have the experience to handle the current load which has been directed to the NEXA showrooms since the launch of the Baleno.

What I am worrying about is how will they cope once the Baleno owners start to get their cars for servicing, as it was said that the RM will be a single point of contact. I hope Maruti starts thinking about having exclusive NEXA service points soon or atleast dedicated areas inside existing service centres for a better experience.

Also given that the Swift now gets ABS and Airbags across all variants deciding between the Baleno and Swift becomes confusing, specially for some one who would not utilize the back seat much. While the Baleno has better space and a few more goodies, the Swift still has an edge when it comes to handling. Also Swift will always command a better resale value. Some one who was looking to upgrade to the Baleno only because of the safety features now has very few reasons to upgrade.
SRK, if I am not mistaken, the S-Cross and the Baleno can be serviced at the regular Maruti service centres, only the sales channel has been kept separate. I too feel that there should be a premium service centre as the cars are sold at a premium.

My main concern is that are the regular Maruti service centres equipped to handle the Baleno especially problems that arise with the Carplay audio system.
Old 26th November 2015, 00:15   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOfCars View Post
IMO your 3.5 years old Polo is looking better than Baleno. What do you think about white color on Baleno? Did it look good on Baleno and is it the same white shade as the Polo?

Last edited by chandra1 : 26th November 2015 at 00:17.
chandra1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 00:24   #1569
BANNED

Polo and Vento are timeless designs. I loved them from the day it was launched in India. Even today even though both these cars are kind on the tooth without much of a design change, It still attracts my attention.

Baleno looks more subdued and family type in from of the Polo which feels aggressive stance.

Moreover white doesn't suit the Baleno but compliments the simple lines of the Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOfCars View Post
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 08:54   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If they have used high tensile steel, shouldn't the parts feel solid? It's ok to feel lighter (while lifting), but if you press hard on the panels, it should stay rigid. Has anyone tried that??

Again, I don't think Maruti will ever be able to make a product that can be solid - it's simply not their forte; nor they are interested I think. Its a company which is obsessed with FE & will go to any extent to remain the king.

Its time we realise what our priorities and choose a product based on that. Unlike couple of years back, we have quite a few worthy options.
Maruti's have really bad build quality, so no arguments there (and I am a Maruti owner).

But I don't think high tensile steel is used in the body panels, those are basically a light skin for the frame, so those kinds of pressure tests don't really give an indication of safety or the underlying structure.

A good example is Toyota, the panels are pretty lightweight, though probably not to the extent of Maruti, but the build quality and safety are pretty impressive.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 10:43   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Auto Express UK who tested the 3 cylinder 1 liter petrol Baleno with manual transmission, says the car weighs in at 950kgs.
Actually, according to Auto Express UK, it weighs 905kg.
Quote:
The new three-cylinder turbo develops 110bhp and 170Nm of torque.
The peppy engine spins freely and because the Baleno weighs just 905kg – 100kg less than the Swift – it feels punchy through the gears.
Also, surprisingly, even Autocar UK says that it weighs 905kg.

Quote:
Suzuki Baleno 1.0 Boosterjet

Location Barcelona; On Sale Jan 2016; Price From £12,000 (est); Engine 3 cyls, 998cc, turbocharged, petrol; Power 110bhp at 5500rpm; Torque 125lb ft at 2000-3500rpm; Gearbox five-speed manual; Kerb weight 905kg; Top speed 124mph; 0-62mph 10.5sec (est); Economy 62.8mpg; CO2/tax band 103g/km, 15%
While according to Carmagazine UK and Telegraph UK, it weighs 950kg.

Carmagazine:
Quote:
Engine: 998cc 12v three-cylinder petrol, 110bhp @ 5500rpm, 125lb ft @ 2000rpm
Weight / material: 950kg/steel
Telegraph:
Quote:
The body is based on Suzuki's new small car platform, which is more slippery through the air and, at 950kg for the three-cylinder model, lighter than even the smaller Swift. In fact, including the weight saving of that engine, the Baleno is up to 100kg lighter than the Swift
Is this a numerical goof up or am I missing something? Does the Boosterjet come in more than 1 variant in other countries?
Old 26th November 2015, 10:50   #1572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyDriver View Post

Is this a numerical goof up or am I missing something? Does the Boosterjet come in more than 1 variant in other countries?
There is a SHVS variant for the Baleno in the boosterjet ? Not sure if the car driven had this or not!

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th November 2015 at 11:00.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 10:52   #1573
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartman View Post
SRK, if I am not mistaken, the S-Cross and the Baleno can be serviced at the regular Maruti service centres, only the sales channel has been kept separate. I too feel that there should be a premium service centre as the cars are sold at a premium.

My main concern is that are the regular Maruti service centres equipped to handle the Baleno especially problems that arise with the Carplay audio system.
The problems in the SmartPlay would mostly be related to software that should require an update. May be this can be done through the website if the company wants to. For any hardware problem, they will have to hand it over to the manufacturer which I think is Bosch.

What my main concern is availability of the parts like that of the Maruti cars.
On the NEXA website it mentions that the Baleno and S-Cross use Genuine Nexa parts (wiper, filter,etc,). While we know the engines are same available in other Maruti cars, they might just be re-branding the parts. We have to check if there is any cost and quality difference between these MGP and NGP models.

Also, say I require a part either for the S-cross or Baleno (HID bulb, tail-lamp, etc.) and I head to the nearest Maruti ASC, would they have it ready in stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
There is a SHVS variant for the Baleno in the boosterjet as a variant. Not sure if the car driven had this or not!
Isn't the SHVS avaialble on the 1.2 DualJet motor?

Last edited by SRK : 26th November 2015 at 10:55.
Old 26th November 2015, 10:58   #1574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Also, say I require a part either for the S-cross or Baleno (HID bulb, tail-lamp, etc.) and I head to the nearest Maruti ASC, would they have it ready in stock?
Having experienced this, all you have to do is to head to the nearest Maruti Service Centers.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 11:12   #1575
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Having experienced this, all you have to do is to head to the nearest Maruti Service Centers.
Any idea about the so called Genuine NEXA Parts?

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-untitled1.jpg

I hope they do not charge a premium for the NEXA branding, given that there is part sharing between the cars.
SRK is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks