Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2015, 15:05   #211
BHPian

re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Baleno and S-cross both should have option of Maruti's 1.4 petrol model. Its a proven engine in Ertiga and Ciaz. Its a very smooth, refined engine with sufficient power to satisfy common man. My friend has Ertiga Vxi and we went to Hyderabad in that with 5 adults and full load. I am very suprised as we got almost 17 average on highways with 100% AC on. It makes it a terrific value proposition. Cars like Baleno and S-cross deserves this engine. Not sure why Maruti is not thinking about it. Why Maruti, why?
Because of the excise duty bracket
Baleno being sub 4m car, having the 1.2L petrol or 1.3L diesel engines would qualify them for the 12% excise duty cut like any other B2 hatchback. Using 1.4L petrol of Ertiga and Ciaz would put them into 24% bracket, thus pushing the prices further.
For some reason they made S-Cross diesel only MT offering. In my view they could have provided the S-Cross with a AT box at least.

Another point - even if you think 17 kmpl as terrific FE on highway, Maruti will need the ARAI efficiency above 20 kmpl to raise the eyebrows!
Old 29th September 2015, 15:17   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Because of the excise duty bracket
Baleno being sub 4m car, having the 1.2L petrol or 1.3L diesel engines would qualify them for the 12% excise duty cut like any other B2 hatchback. Using 1.4L petrol of Ertiga and Ciaz would put them into 24% bracket, thus pushing the prices further.
For some reason they made S-Cross diesel only MT offering. In my view they could have provided the S-Cross with a AT box at least.

Another point - even if you think 17 kmpl as terrific FE on highway, Maruti will need the ARAI efficiency above 20 kmpl to raise the eyebrows!
Excise duty benefit issue for Baleno yes, for S-cross no as its over 4 m mark anyways. Baleno will be charged higher duty is true, but anyway its going to be a premium hatch, so they can charge high price for it. People will love 1.4 engine in that car. Personally i don't think it will be very costly with 1.4 petrol as its a readymade engine for Maruti, don't have to invest or reinvent anything here. If they can boost power to 100 BHP nothing like it.

For S-cross, 1.4 will not make any difference in terms of pricing as its above 4 m already. so no excise benefits are there. Diesel starts at 8.34 something. So if they can price petrol around 7.5 L, it will be great car for sure. Maruti can sell lot more S-cross. In Pune I can see so many Ertiga Vxi, Zxi and Ciaz Vxi, Zxi. It proves Maruti have so many petrol lovers already including me

Maruti are you listening?

Edit: Ertiga has little lower fuel efficiency but Baleno can have better figures as its a smaller & lighter car compared to Ertiga. I am sure they can cross 20 mark you wanted

Last edited by aniketi : 29th September 2015 at 15:20.
Old 29th September 2015, 15:24   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

For S-cross, 1.4 will not make any difference in terms of pricing as its above 4 m already. so no excise benefits are there. Diesel starts at 8.34 something
Maruti are you listening?
Maruti Suzuki seem to have evaluated intelligently on offering the S Cross with diesel only as I see is for 2 reasons.

1. Make way for pricing the Baleno pricing - more spacing in the sub 10 L range.

2, Most importantly they were not yet ready with the 1.4L Boosterjet engine for India.The S Cross will come here in this variant some time in 2016.

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th September 2015 at 15:36.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 15:44   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Baleno will be charged higher duty is true, but anyway its going to be a premium hatch, so they can charge high price for it. People will love 1.4 engine in that car.
It is premium hatch, yes, but then, the competition has several premium hatches nowadays! Elite i20, Jazz, Polo, Punto, Figo - all in similar price ranges with their own USPs. If Maruti comes with 1.4L petrol, pricing it more, calling it premium, there will be less takers.
They are going to keep the engines same as the Swift, and hence the pricing should come as very reasonable, considering the extras they are going to offer.

Quote:
In Pune I can see so many Ertiga Vxi, Zxi and Ciaz Vxi, Zxi. It proves Maruti have so many petrol lovers already including me
Yes, there are many who love petrols, because of its smooth ride, and less initial cost (Petrol is easily 1 lakh - 1.5 lakhs cheaper than corresponding Diesel variants OTR). For those who drive sedately, or sparingly use, petrol should be the best option. Considering this, S-Cross should have been made available in Petrol. But they should have a marketing reason behind not offering S-Cross in Petrol, or with AT boxes.
Old 29th September 2015, 17:29   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Training for the New Baleno for RM's at Nexa will be from 2 - 4 th October. Media Drive in 2nd week of October before the launch on 26th October.

Will India get the Boosterjet engine at launch? Advertisement indicates so

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-capture.pngT

Quote:
he premium hatchback is ready to hit the roads. This spacious and luxurious hatchback is powered with an unbeatable engine. Hold your breath and drive your dream car like never before!

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th September 2015 at 17:52.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 18:00   #216

I really hope its the booster jet , if it is then it would be interesting to see how MS price it. I think it would be around 8+Lacs ex showroom.
Old 29th September 2015, 18:06   #217
BHPian

The advertisements and teasers are really giving us high hopes. I hope MSIL does not mess around with the pricing.
Old 29th September 2015, 19:07   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Will India get the Boosterjet engine at launch? Advertisement indicates so
Ok now I am officially interested in the Baleno. The Boosterjet will be a welcome addition. A spacious car along with the already talked about extensive feature list with a turbo petrol engine. Wow-that is something for everyone.

With the leaders in the segment (i20, Jazz, Polo) not having what we can call petrol engines with scorching performance, a turbo petrol Baleno can shake up the segment.

With the Polo GT TSI, Ford Figo 1.5 DCT, Abarth Punto 1.4 and now potentially a turbo petrol Baleno. Suddenly a few powerful choices in the hatchback category.

Having said that, hope it is true and not an over enthusiastic ad by Bimal Nexa. Need to wait and see. To be honest, as mentioned above, the top sellers in the segment all have regular 1.2L Petrol Engines. No real reason for Maruti to provide the boosterjet. It will sell well with the 1.2 itself.
Old 29th September 2015, 19:33   #219
Lij
BHPian

Not getting my hopes high, for all that we are speculating, nowhere it is mentioned a "new" unbeatable engine. They could well be talking about the 1.3 MJD, as it is a proven workhorse like no other.

That said, with the Figo offering a more powerful engine, maybe Suzuki can spring us a surprise with the boosterjet at launch.
Old 29th September 2015, 20:12   #220
BHPian

Sorry to pour cold water on enthusiastic members, but IMHO this is a clear case of misinformation by the dealer. It's more or less confirmed that the Boosterjet is not coming at launch in India.

Have a look at one of the videos posted on the same web-site.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/uxYF2xyVNjU

Bimal Nexa's claim do lose credibility, no?
Old 29th September 2015, 20:17   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like there is a 998cc engine on offer?:

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-capture.jpg

Zauba baba says so

Not sure if this version will be the actual production model, but since there is an engine number and chassis number, I guess it is being produced on the line and not a test prototype. Since it will sit above swift, I hope they give us enough features to distinguish it from the swift and Dzire.
Old 29th September 2015, 20:17   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
Sorry to pour cold water on enthusiastic members, but IMHO this is a clear case of misinformation by the dealer. It's more or less confirmed that the Boosterjet is not coming at launch in India.
Could be most likely not with the boosterjet at launch, but after its European debut in Spring 2016, can expect Maruti Suzuki to offer the same here at a premium price.
Old 29th September 2015, 22:27   #223

I think when MS is referring to an "unbeatable engine". what they may be referring to is the 1.3MJD with SHVS tech and more efficiency and it could be the next most fuel efficient car from MS dethroning the Ciaz SHVS.
Old 30th September 2015, 00:17   #224
BHPian

Not sure what has been discussed hitherto, but..

Got a call from a dealer today, he said there's a 1.3 and 1.0 "turbo jet" model coming and would be priced anywhere between 6-9L.
sibot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 07:38   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
Got a call from a dealer today, he said there's a 1.3 and 1.0 "turbo jet" model coming and would be priced anywhere between 6-9L.
Sure do not believe such prices from SA /RM's.We all know what has happened to the speculated pricing of S Cross - DDiS320 vs the reality when launched.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks