Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2015, 17:46   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Has the company completely given up on the M16 engine? 1.0 boosterjet sounds nice and all but in the end I'd rather have a bigger, older, naturally aspirated lump hope they launch it as an option atleast
Old 2nd October 2015, 17:57   #242
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Has the company completely given up on the M16 engine? 1.0 boosterjet sounds nice and all but in the end I'd rather have a bigger, older, naturally aspirated lump hope they launch it as an option atleast
Anything bigger than the 1.4L BoosterJet may be a dream hereafter, IMO.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 18:03   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Anything bigger than the 1.4L BoosterJet may be a dream hereafter, IMO.
well I certainly wouldn't mind a 1.4 BoosterJet either. It's just that I fear the 1.0 boosterjet might sound good on paper just like the 1.0 ecoboost but at the end of the day it is a tiny 3cyl motor struggling to perform putting down nice peak figures only because of the turbocharger making drive-ability poor.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 19:29   #244
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
well I certainly wouldn't mind a 1.4 BoosterJet either. It's just that I fear the 1.0 boosterjet might sound good on paper just like the 1.0 ecoboost but at the end of the day it is a tiny 3cyl motor struggling to perform putting down nice peak figures only because of the turbocharger making drive-ability poor.
Agree with you.

Manufacturers should do these kind of experiments and enhancements in a proper 4-cyl engine.
Old 2nd October 2015, 19:57   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
S-cross has huge potential with Petrol engine as lot many city buyers who mostly use car in city and for family purpose with limited monthly running always prefer petrol's. Petrol engines has many advantages as we all know & most suited to personal users.
Absolutely agree! I felt really sad when S-cross came out as an all-diesel affair. They need to quickly come up with 1.4-turbo or the 1.6L M-series soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I see huge potential here for Maruti. We all know Maruti's are cheaper than others.
This is the image that they are trying to break with Nexa and all. If they raise the quality standard and premium-ness of their products I see no reason to undercut on pricing. They shouldn't go insane like S-cross pricing, but pricing at par with competition should be doable.
Su-47 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 13:09   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki's New Baleno (Sport) made more aggressive -rendered by Theophilus Chin!

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-21087586613_13f860cecb_b.jpg
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-21708591515_b2d9bb3d1f_b.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/theophilus.chin

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd October 2015 at 13:13.
Old 3rd October 2015, 19:10   #247
BANNED

If the Baleno will be sold only through NEXA, with its expected 2L difference in price with SCross and almost the same features (?) and boot space of 350L, SCross 200 is going to be cannibalized. If it is sold through regular Maruti showrooms, Swift and DZire will get the heat. IMO, DZire and Baleno will come almost at the same price point.

With the fact that a sub-4m sedan is a big challenge to a car manufacturer (incorporating the boot and slanting C-pillar in the 4m size), Maruti should move the DZire to the +4m segment by stretching it to 4.3m, and fill the vacuum with Baleno and upcoming sub-4m SUV. This will make DZire a more balanced sedan, and introducing SVHS in DZire will allow Maruti to price them competitively even at 4.3m length.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 3rd October 2015 at 19:24.
Old 3rd October 2015, 19:12   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
If the Baleno will be sold only through NEXA, with its expected 2L difference in price with SCross and almost the same boot space of 350L, SCross 200 is going to be cannibalized.
Not necessarily, S Cross is at 4.3m length while the new Baleno is 3.9m. The interior space can never meet the S Cross.
Old 3rd October 2015, 19:39   #249
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Not necessarily, S Cross is at 4.3m length while the new Baleno is 3.9m. The interior space can never meet the S Cross.
I am not saying that it will match exactly with SCross, but will be a good competitor, IMO. The expected 2L price difference will "forcibly reduce" the differences for a budget-limited customer.

Another point is; as SCross is a crossover and not an SUV, many buyers will consider both when they are in the market.
Old 4th October 2015, 11:42   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Apart from the length, I wonder what the headroom inside would feel like with a height of 1470mm. It seems too compressed when compared to other cars like Swift (1530mm), i20-Elite (1505mm), S-Cross (1590mm). The car that comes closest is the Polo (1469mm).
amaheshwari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 16:49   #251
BHPian

Somehow this Baleno reminds me of the Alfa Romeo mito. Don't know whether it's due to the red color or that really wide and roundish nature. This is one of the better looking Suzuki's of recent times. Hope they don't compromise on build quality and safety. Baleno might give stiff competition to the Elite i20.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-picsart_1443956195512.jpg  

SUPERSPORT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 07:40   #252
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaheshwari View Post
Apart from the length, I wonder what the headroom inside would feel like with a height of 1470mm. It seems too compressed when compared to other cars like Swift (1530mm), i20-Elite (1505mm), S-Cross (1590mm). The car that comes closest is the Polo (1469mm).
I think the overall height is also affected by the ground clearance as well. The height of 1470mm is for the Euro-spec model with a ground clearance of 120mm, while it has been compared with the India-spec models of its competition.

The Baleno for Indian roads will be raised and hence the overall height should fall in the category of the Swift. From the images and videos seen the rear seat space looks quite good, guess we will have to wait for the reviews to come in.
SRK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 07:44   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
The Baleno for Indian roads will be raised and hence the overall height should fall in the category of the Swift. From the images and videos seen the rear seat space looks quite good, guess we will have to wait for the reviews to come in.
The Indian Baleno will have a GC of 170 mm but the inside space (height) will remain the same.
Reviews indicate it will be a hit or miss situation for a very tall rear passenger due to its floating roof line.

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th October 2015 at 07:49.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 09:20   #254
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A little birdie drops the following note:

Quote:
The new Baleno has reached Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Kolkata for training. The training has begun in full swing for concerned Maruti managers, workshops and dealers. Launch will happen on 26, 27, 28 across almost 18 cities.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 09:29   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A little birdie drops the following note:
Thanks GTO.
How about the media drive? As an old Baleno owner, it is emotional for me to see the Baleno brand coming back. Will wait desperately for our official review to see if this car can live upto the name's legacy.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks