Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2015, 11:31   #256
BHPian

re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Not necessarily, S Cross is at 4.3m length while the new Baleno is 3.9m. The interior space can never meet the S Cross.
Agreed. Both S-Cross and Baleno are in different segments are those who are looking to buy S-Cross will not consider switching to Baleno.
Do you think any potential Creta buyer would go for i20, after seeing Creta price tag?
However, the opposite is possible. i.e. A potential Baleno buyer can increase his budget by a few lakhs and go for S-Cross. So, I believe, Baleno's launch can actually increase footfalls to Nexa and hence result in the sale of a few S-Cross cars as well. S-Cross is no runaway success, but with the increase in the number of Nexa outlets, it will see more towns. Same is the case with Baleno: Baleno will be sold in large numbers only when there are enough number of showrooms. Let us at least hope that the expectations for Baleno stays high and results in lot of waiting list, and not like the lukewarm response S-Cross has received.
Old 5th October 2015, 11:44   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Agreed.
So, I believe, Baleno's launch can actually increase footfalls to Nexa and hence result in the sale of a few S-Cross cars as well.
Maruti Suzuki seems aware of the fact that only with a very few Nexa outlets their sales will be constrained.
They seem to have set a modest monthly target in sales of 100 each of S Cross and Baleno's combined, translating to 10000 units/ month ( 100 Nexa outlets)
Old 5th October 2015, 12:09   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki seems aware of the fact that only with a very few Nexa outlets their sales will be constrained.
They seem to have set a modest monthly target in sales of 100 each of S Cross and Baleno's combined, translating to 10000 units/ month ( 100 Nexa outlets)
Yes, what this sales target would do is to push the sales by 5% extra, considering the fall of volumes Alto, Celerio, Swift and some old workhorses are going to take in the next few months.
So, still Maruti would march ahead leaving the competition well behind. Maruti's strategy seems interesting. Launch a number of vehicles in the same segment. Even if all of them are not best sellers, they should still lead the space.
eg. Right now Hyundai sells about 21K B2 hatchbacks through Grand i10 & Elite i20, and thus tops the segment. Maruti sells 18K through Swift and Ritz combine, making it a 2nd in the segment. Adding another B2 - Baleno, even if it sells a modest 3K or more per month, would still give them a lead in B2 space.
Off topic Observation: It is A segment (23K Alto Sales), B1 Segment (22K - WagonR + Celerio), C1 Segment (18K Dzire), Utility (12K Omni + Eeco) is where Maruti has unquestionable supremacy. When these are attacked by competition by several cars, then only Maruti's lead will shift.

Last edited by hybridpetrol : 5th October 2015 at 12:11.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 14:01   #259
BHPian

NEXA dealers in Bangalore have started accepting bookings for the Baleno. I just made my booking for the car requesting a petrol top end variant. Might cancel my booking for the Elite i20 if the prices are reasonable and go for this one.
spsam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 15:33   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats.

Just got this info that AT will only be in Delta model, such a huge bummer. Damn it, was following this car along with Figo and Zest, guess might have to start looking back at other two. Will still wait for pricing before taking the plunge.

But come on maruti give us atleast the second top variant if not the top one. Very disappointed.

Last edited by AtheK : 5th October 2015 at 15:49.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 16:06   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Congrats.

Just got this info that AT will only be in Delta model, such a huge bummer. Damn it, was following this car along with Figo and Zest, guess might have to start looking back at other two. Will still wait for pricing before taking the plunge.

But come on maruti give us atleast the second top variant if not the top one. Very disappointed.
Are you sure about this? I can understand if only the Zeta will have AT, but only on the Delta trim does not seem right. I am looking for an automatic with good equipment levels. I had almost booked the Xcent SX(O) last month, but decided to wait to see what the Baleno would offer before deciding.

I'm trying to reach Nexa Chennai to confirm this and also to see if they are ready to take pre-bookings, but the number listed in Nexa's website for Nexa Chennai is switched off!! So much for a premium buying experience
Old 5th October 2015, 16:12   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
Are you sure about this? I can understand if only the Zeta will have AT, but only on the Delta trim does not seem right. I am looking for an automatic with good equipment levels. I had almost booked the Xcent SX(O) last month, but decided to wait to see what the Baleno would offer before deciding.

I'm trying to reach Nexa Chennai to confirm this and also to see if they are ready to take pre-bookings, but the number listed in Nexa's website for Nexa Chennai is switched off!! So much for a premium buying experience
Ya i asked him 3 times and he was absolutely confident. Maybe they are doing this to keep the price down compared to ciaz AT and not cannibalize the sales in that segment.

Last edited by AtheK : 5th October 2015 at 16:20.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 16:35   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is some information on the New Baleno as per RM here.( not sure if this is the confirmed specs, but he insists so)

1. Bookings has started from 1st on a payment of 10k
2. Petrol and Diesel variants, 1.2 and 1.3 L, no SHVS at launch, nor 1.0L boosterjet
3. Variant names similar to S Cross - Sigma, Delta, Zeta and Alpha
4. All variants equipped with 2 airbags
5. Disc brakes only on front - all variants
7. CVT only on Delta variant ( Petrol)
6. No display at malls - launch and vehicle will be available on 26th October
7. Currently One Baleno is available for the ongoing training - not for display

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th October 2015 at 16:41.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 16:36   #264
BANNED

Quote:
Ya i asked him 3 times and he was absolutely confident. Maybe they are doing this to keep the price down compared to ciaz AT and not cannibalize the sales in that segment.
That definitely seems to be the logic behind this. Not to mention, most manufacturers are refraining from putting in the AT on top models, to avoid the proverbial 'sticker shock'.

Another reason I could imagine would be the CVT itself. Isn't this the first time Maruti is going to introduce that in India? Maybe they would like to build in the momentum for Baleno and the transmission, before volumes and production, both, mandate a well-endowed AT version.
Old 5th October 2015, 17:08   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Oh no. That is a bummer. I am looking around at various AT options under 10L and every option currently available has one compromise or the other. I was hopeful that the new Baleno might be a savior but now this is turning out to be another automatic with other compromise.

The logic makes sense though. They might look to protect Ciaz AT sales. One good move would be to provide a higher variant AT for Baleno and offer a Diesel AT for the Ciaz. That would be a good differentiator.
Old 5th October 2015, 18:35   #266
BHPian

Okay, just got off a call with Nexa Chennai. Yes it is confirmed that the CVT will be launched in the Delta variant only. Pre-bookings have begun in Chennai too, and the car can be pre-booked with an advance of Rs. 20,000/-. No other details are being provided by the sales person right now, and they are not even promising priority delivery for the pre-booked cars.

Now, to the logic of Baleno CVT eating into Ciaz AT, I don't buy that logic at all. These are cars from two different segments and sizes - I just can't see why cannot co-exist. If at all MSIL thinks that the Baleno CVT could possibly cannibalize another car, then it will be the Dzire AT (as such the Dzire AT hardly sells and the Baleno CVT could just kill it off completely).
Old 5th October 2015, 18:52   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Another reason I could imagine would be the CVT itself. Isn't this the first time Maruti is going to introduce that in India? Maybe they would like to build in the momentum for Baleno and the transmission, before volumes and production, both, mandate a well-endowed AT version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
The logic makes sense though. They might look to protect Ciaz AT sales. One good move would be to provide a higher variant AT for Baleno and offer a Diesel AT for the Ciaz. That would be a good differentiator.
Quote:

Now, to the logic of Baleno CVT eating into Ciaz AT, I don't buy that logic at all. These are cars from two different segments and sizes - I just can't see why cannot co-exist. If at all MSIL thinks that the Baleno CVT could possibly cannibalize another car, then it will be the Dzire AT (as such the Dzire AT hardly sells and the Baleno CVT could just kill it off completely).

That is a disappointing bit of news. AT only in Delta. If I am not mistaken that is the top-2 variant or bottom +1 variant.

I don't think it has anything to do with cannibalizing Ciaz. as methecupid has mentioned, pretty sure it has to do with the CVT box itself. The only car Maruti has had here with the CVT is the Kizashi. So I guess it would be fair to assume that the CVT box coming on the Baleno is the one that was doing duty on the Kizashi. As per the Official Drive Report of the Kizashi CVT it is a pretty good CVT box with 6 Ratios. I assume it needs to be imported and hence that is driving the cost up.

In other news, the Baleno page on the Nexa Website is live with an option to sign up for updates.

http://www.nexaexperience.com/baleno.html

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-balenonexa.jpg
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 19:16   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Okay, just got off a call with Nexa Chennai. Yes it is confirmed that the CVT will be launched in the Delta variant only. Pre-bookings have begun in Chennai too, and the car can be pre-booked with an advance of Rs. 20,000/-. No other details are being provided by the sales person right now, and they are not even promising priority delivery for the pre-booked cars.

It will be other way around my friend, a common person makes a buying decision based on the size of car, a big car with boot is still a go to car. Common person will end up buying a ciaz and not baleno, he hardly cares about CVT or AmT or DCT
Old 5th October 2015, 19:31   #269
BHPian

Am I the only one to think that Maruti is trying to promote Aftermarket alloys on their cars by shodding their cars with sub-standard(wheel cap style) alloys. Here is the image that I crudely adjusted the levels from the Nexa website. Lets hope this car is an entry level one

Positive side to such a half-hearted work from Maruti, given that safety is standard across the board would be one can settle for a lesser variant and add what he/she wants. Hopefully save lots of money in the process.
(Hope the Experts in PS will pardon my Q&D work )

balenocarmodified.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-balenocarmodified.jpg  

Last edited by WRXXX : 5th October 2015 at 19:40.
Old 5th October 2015, 19:56   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Baleno bookings open; launch on October 26, 2015. In Bangalore bookings amount is 10K, while in others it is 20K

The Baleno sits on an all-new platform that will also underpin the new Maruti YBA compact SUV, as well as the next-generation Swift.

In India, the Baleno will initially be powered by the familiar 1.2-litre petrol and the 1.3-litre diesel in the 89bhp DDiS 200 guise, and the Boosterjet-equipped model will follow later. For the first time, the 1.2-litre petrol model will come with the option of a CVT gearbox.

Quote:
Like the recent Maruti offerings in India, the Baleno will come loaded with adequate creature comforts, depending on the variant. Higher-spec variants of the Baleno will get daytime running lamps and LED tail-lamps – a first from Maruti. The other good news is that Maruti will give the car 16-inch wheels, at least on the top spec.

On the inside, the Baleno’s dashboard gets a neat and uncluttered design. It features silver accents on the centre console. Higher trims will come with a 7.0-inch SmartPlay infotainment system that will be equipped with Apple CarPlay as well – a first for Maruti
Source:NDTV

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 2270
Size:  221.2 KB

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...15-397734.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th October 2015 at 20:16.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed