Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2015, 14:43   #406
BHPian

re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here is the spec of engines for the Baleno at launch, from a RM at Nexa. Bossterjet and other engine variants could come later.
Any chance that the Zeta or even the Alpha could see CVT ? I know it's been mentioned already that CVT will be available in Delta, but just asking, in case Suzuki do plan for a surprise
Old 10th October 2015, 15:35   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

Baleno Variants,

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-img20151010wa0001.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 16:38   #408
BHPian

Carwale today reports that there will be another variant with VGT turbo producing 90bhp and 200Nm of torque in the offering, however i am a bit skeptical about this news now.
highwaypatrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 17:59   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the spec of engines for the Baleno at launch, from a RM at Nexa. Bossterjet and other engine variants could come later.

This car is lighter than Swift and engines are tuned differently , need to test drive and judge its performance.

Attachment 1425261
Totally bakwas. A car with a premium over the Swift having the same engine is a BAD marketing move. Yes, its lighter, but its broader, longer and demands a powerful engine for the go to match the show.

Off the list for buying this one, will wait till something more powerful comes along in this or will humbly just buy another Swift Diesel.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 20:35   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the initial news about getting the boosterjet at launch and the fact that it is a nexa product skewed the expectations from this car a great deal. I think we need to do a reality check. After all what is the baleno? A car that sits above the swift and expected to compete primarily with the i20 elite and the jazz ( and also the smaller players polo and figo). The petrol variants of all these are 1.2 and none of them are scorchers. The diesels are probably slightly better, but no significant difference.

So what does maruti need to do to ensure blockbuster sales? A bunch of fancy features , quality and lots of space ( which has been taken care of as per leaks) and an on par with segment price ( which I think they will manage). In addition they have safety features as standard which is huge from maruti based on past history.

From what I have read so far, it looks like baleno has the quality and features of the i20 elite and the space of the jazz. The petrol will drive as good ( or as bad depending on how you look at it) as everything else. The diesel may not have the drivability and performance of say the Figo or Polo, but these are not the main competition anyway. So it is pretty sure they have a winner.

Now, the enthusiast in me is wondering why they did not shake up the segment by bringing in the boosterjet at launch. Although we have the polo tsi and upcoming punto abarth, these are both niche players and it needs a maruti or Hyundai to really make something new mainstream.

One mistake I think they are doing is making it a nexa product. I believe this should have been sold from the regular outlets and the Ciaz should have been shifted to nexa.

Edit: On Maruti using the same engines as the swift, that should not be a surprise. After all, all the manufacturers use the same engine across segments. Especially that 1.2 petrol. (Hyundai on the grand i10, xcent, elite i20. Honda on the brio, amaze and jazz). Again just from a layman point of view.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 10th October 2015 at 20:45. Reason: Additional content
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 20:39   #411
BHPian

Quote:

This car is lighter than Swift and engines are tuned differently , need to test drive and judge its performance.

Attachment 1425261
If 75PS engine is true for Baleno then it could be the first reason for Swift owners to not to upgrade to this car except bigger exterior size & spacious interiors, styling is more or less similar though.
This car demands refinement & performance of 90PS DDiS200 engine. If not in all, atleast as an option in last two top end variants.
Old 10th October 2015, 21:00   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
After all what is the baleno? A car that sits above the swift and expected to compete primarily with the i20 elite and the jazz ( and also the smaller players polo and figo). The petrol variants of all these are 1.2 and none of them are scorchers.
From what I have read so far, it looks like baleno has the quality and features of the i20 elite and the space of the jazz. The petrol will drive as good ( or as bad depending on how you look at it) as everything else. The diesel may not have the drivability and performance of say the Figo or Polo, but these are not the main competition anyway. So it is pretty sure they have a winner.
I would beg to differ. The i20 Elite diesel forms a sizeable bulk of the sales figures and it is no slouch by any means.

Why pay more for a b2 segment hatch with a b1 segment engine?

Of course being lighter than the Swift it might still be zippy , but the point is , why do we want to be short changed?

Hyundai doesn't give the same engine for the i10 grand and i20 Elite (diesels ).

They at least respect the segment.
When one wants to step up to a premium segment one expects premium offerings.

This engine simply doesn't cut it.
Old 10th October 2015, 21:50   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post

Why pay more for a b2 segment hatch with a b1 segment engine?

Of course being lighter than the Swift it might still be zippy , but the point is , why do we want to be short changed?

Well in my view, if it is zippy and performs better than the swift (which as much as I know it's no slouch either) the actual reuse of the engine may not bother majority of the buyers.

Overall I believe all manufacturers are guilty of short changing us by virtue of their engine reuse across segments. I don't agree with that approach, but it also does not surprise me. It may be unacceptable for a small percent, but it also does not seem to bother majority of the buyers which is why the manufacturers continue to do it.

So my point is that maruti doing it with the baleno is not surprising. The sales are not going to be impacted just due to this factor.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th October 2015 at 07:06. Reason: Spacing
Old 11th October 2015, 18:31   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

From Facebook, via a TAI user:

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-newsuzukibaleno1.jpg

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-newsuzukibaleno2.jpg

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-newsuzukibaleno3.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 19:24   #415
BHPian

Does Maruti needs any losses to show for income tax purposes? Else I don't think they would try to launch a mass market car sub 4m, less power, same old engine, thereby making the premium brand pointless.
We need not be surprised if they tear off all nexa branding and convert into regular MS showrooms in a few months.
hybridpetrol is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 19:57   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

In the pic above the entire character of the car is lost without the headlamp assembly and alloys, since this is a premium offering all cars should have equipped with it and all should look the same from outside. The creature comforts can vary model to model.

The car in above avatar and look is a head Turner albeit to another showrooms.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 20:23   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Official bookings for the Baleno to be announced next week though many Nexa dealers have started the bookings!

Quote:
Bookings for Baleno are due to open next week, after we share the information about the car
http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...omers/49309763
Old 12th October 2015, 07:21   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Baleno starts TVC shoot at Bhiwandi, Nasik highway.

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-12019856_10203401784404477_5571157820004996079_n.jpg
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-12027498_10203401782364426_2711369643667976503_n.jpg
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-12046578_10203401782204422_2192106745624997636_n-1.jpg
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-12039218_10203401783244448_3425292371910272144_n.jpg

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...ing-up-13.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th October 2015 at 07:27.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 12:06   #419
BHPian

Not sure how much to trust this but, I just spoke to my Nexa contact in Mumbai and he mentioned that the Baleno will be priced below the i20(something that has been communicated to them by their seniors).

If this is true at all, being the cheapest in the lot will definitely serve as an advantage. Given the huge boot and the practical nature of this baby, the Jazz's premium will be hard to justify for someone who can look past the Baleno's ordinary looks. I think that a lot of safety-conscious-people-on-a-budget will pick this over the i20 or Jazz as the safety equipment is consistent across the range.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 12th October 2015 at 12:09.
MetalBuff is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 12:37   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
NI think that a lot of safety-conscious-people-on-a-budget will pick this over the i20 or Jazz as the safety equipment is consistent across the range.
Elite i20 is priced between 5.34L to 7.17L for 1.2L petrol and 6.46L to 8.28L for 1.4L Diesel Engine. If Baleno has to be priced below this, the petrol top variant should come around 7L and diesel top variant should come around 8L ex-showroom. It will be a good pricing.

I agree with your above statement that the safety conscious lot, with low budget would find an advantage in picking lower variants of Baleno. To give more perspective, if the Delta variant is priced less than i20 Magna variant (5.88L petrol), then in less than 7L OTR, they can get 2 airbags, ABS+EBD, Tilt multifunctional steering, retractable ORVMs with turn indicators, all power windows, 60:40 split seat, rear parking sensors, Keyless entry, automatic climatic control, audio system etc. i.e - Almost, all that is available on the Swift top variant, and some extra, at the same price of Swift.

Swift buyers also would be swayed towards Baleno in that case.
hybridpetrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed