Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2015, 09:32   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
then why s cross is being spared from such high tech steel which is powered by same engine and weighs 1200 kgs??
S Cross matches the international spec in weight similarly you should check for Baleno too- International Vs India ( considering engine options)
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 09:48   #572
Distinguished - BHPian

Unique tagline for the Baleno - "Drive Your Mettle".

RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 09:55   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Do you have anything substantial to say that the Baleno isn't safe except for your doubts after knowing its weight?

If not, please stop posting wrong views on a product you are simply not interested in. If and When you have some proof that the Baleno isn't good as the manufacturer claims it is, you can blow the safety horn loud and clear.

Until then, let's give safety concerns a back seat for the time being.
we just can't accept manufacturers claims eyes closed, specially when officials shrug shoulders after knowing the appalling crash results of maruti swift from global ncap. in India where government prescribed automotive safety rules are minimal, we have to make an informed decision through logical thinking rather following blindly the manufacturers claims. no fanboyism here, but safety should be paramount in our prime Indian automotive forum.
Dr.Abhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 10:06   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
then why s cross is being spared from such high tech steel which is powered by same engine and weighs 1200 kgs??
SCross was launched in Early 2014 in Europe whereas Baleno was showcased last month. May be the platform was not ready till then. Vitara Brezza may not have this chassis due to the same reasons. Also, Suzuki might use this technology in the future cars. Its all speculations and we may know the facts only after crash test is done.

Meanwhile all of us who are not comfortable with the weight have numerous other options of heavier cars.
Old 15th October 2015, 10:12   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I didn't speculate anything, I just requested to hold your horses till we have a crash test! The i20 exported from India scores high in crash test, what about the one sold here? I would be happy to see if the Baleno sold in India( not the one exported) comes out in flying colours in crash tests. I don't want to fight over something if people are hell bound to believe what they think is right. I don't believe anything without substantial evidence, maybe that's just me. All are free to hold onto their rigid views. Now I should wait for 9.30 and buy few shares of MSIL, because if our forum has such ideas, imagine the public! Last post on this from my side, spare me.
It was all over the news that India built and sold cars are of different different quality than the ones built elsewhere(Hungary? for swift) and lack of safety norms locally is the real cause. There is no taking sides anywhere here. Its the Indian safety system driving the lack of that quality. So, take it easy folks!!
Old 15th October 2015, 10:19   #576
BHPian

Remember how people used to say that the 1100 kg Ambassador was safer than a 620 kg Maruti 800? Remember how crashed Ambassadors were crumpled just as badly as 800s and passengers were hurt just as badly? A heavier car is no guarantee of a safer car.

As far as believing that cars made in India are as safe as those made in and for the first world, I'm a pessimist. The only incentive for a company to make a car safer is money. Since few in India are prepared to pay higher prices for safer cars, there is little incentive.

For those who think that it doesn't make sense for a company to make an first world and third world versions of the same car, I disagree. There's plenty of incentive to do just that. High strength steel is expensive to buy and process in to body panels. Using cheaper and weaker sheet metal but of the same thickness will save a good deal in cost and the car will look exactly the same as a safer version.

Crash tests of Indian made cars clearly show that weak sheet metal structures are the major contributor to poor crash safety.

For the Baleno, I would give it the benefit of doubt for safety. I feel that it might not do badly in a crash test but it might also not do great. But the proof is in the crashing and only a proper crash test will tell us if the benefits of a light-weight body is at the expense of crash safety.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 10:37   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Remember how people used to say that the 1100 kg Ambassador was safer than a 620 kg Maruti 800? Remember how crashed Ambassadors were crumpled just as badly as 800s and passengers were hurt just as badly? A heavier car is no guarantee of a safer car.

As far as believing that cars made in India are as safe as those made in and for the first world, I'm a pessimist. The only incentive for a company to make a car safer is money. Since few in India are prepared to pay higher prices for safer cars, there is little incentive.

For those who think that it doesn't make sense for a company to make an first world and third world versions of the same car, I disagree. There's plenty of incentive to do just that. High strength steel is expensive to buy and process in to body panels. Using cheaper and weaker sheet metal but of the same thickness will save a good deal in cost and the car will look exactly the same as a safer version.

Crash tests of Indian made cars clearly show that weak sheet metal structures are the major contributor to poor crash safety.

For the Baleno, I would give it the benefit of doubt for safety. I feel that it might not do badly in a crash test but it might also not do great. But the proof is in the crashing and only a proper crash test will tell us if the benefits of a light-weight body is at the expense of crash safety.
benefit of doubt is ok in other aspect of life, but not regarding me and my family's life.
what's necessary today is automotive crash test facility in India, and make things clear especially when the question is of ones life.
moreover we shouldn't compare the weights of Body On Frame ambassador and today's monocoque cars.
Dr.Abhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 10:47   #578
BHPian

Quote:
benefit of doubt is ok in other aspect of life, but not regarding me and my family's life.
what's necessary today is automotive crash test facility in India, and make things clear especially when the question is of ones life.
moreover we shouldn't compare the weights of Body On Frame ambassador and today's monocoque cars.
Looks like you answered your own questions
Just the weight alone is no indication of safety of the car and without a crash test nothing can be said.

Also, there is a fine line between safety concern and paranoia. You can control things in your control hopefully but not outside. Just imagine a bus plough through a 5 star safety rated hatch, is there an escape? As I indicated earlier its a best effort preparedness and never complete. Also, some of te safety tests and norms are more tuned to western style of driving conditions where things are methodical and ordered and mostly involving car to car crashes more than anything else.
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 10:52   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post

Quote:
That is just what I have said - only a crash test will prove the Baleno's safety.

You are misinformed about the the Ambassador - it had a monocoque body. This gave it the dual benefits of lightness (compared to rivals of its time) and spaciousness.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 11:18   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

Baleno joins S Cross in the Nexa website,

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-capture.jpg

7 Shades of Baleno

Fire Red
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-1.jpg

Autum Orange
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-ao.jpg

Ray Blue
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-rb.jpg

Urban Blue
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-ub.jpg

Premium Silver
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-ps.jpg

Pearl Artic White
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-paw.jpg

Granite Gray
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-gg.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th October 2015 at 11:35.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 11:24   #581
BHPian

Quote:
then why s cross is being spared from such high tech steel which is powered by same engine and weighs 1200 kgs?? now you will say that it's segment apart and s cross is 30 cm lengthier than baleno. but my argument is when compact sedans which are 20-30 cms lenghthier than their hatch counterpart weigh only 10-20 kgs more than why there is 300 kgs of weight difference between baleno and s cross? either s cross steel is low grade or balenos structure is weak??

The primary difference is the platform. The increase in length of old platform vs reduced length of new platform does play a major role in weight. And we should not forget other dimensions too!

Besides BIW, there are other, non structural parts which increase the difference in weight.

Then next is the thickness of panels and their tensile strength. Would not deny your point, since there has not been any crash tests with results open for public. But would not accept until something is available.

The major tradeoff in strength of panels is due to the cost. More the tensile strength, less is formability, higher the tool die cost for forming, and less is the number of local vendors for making such dies.

Also, The high tensile steel sheets are not much localised yet, leading to higher raw material cost. But the scenario is going to change completely by 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
SCross was launched in Early 2014 in Europe whereas Baleno was showcased last month. May be the platform was not ready till then. Vitara Brezza may not have this chassis due to the same reasons. Also, Suzuki might use this technology in the future cars. Its all speculations and we may know the facts only after crash test is done.
True, S Cross is on old platform.

Also, I guess the discussion is going offtopic. A separate thread is already there to discuss crash worthiness of vehicles

Last edited by Ashir : 15th October 2015 at 11:26.
Old 15th October 2015, 11:28   #582
BHPian

What? Baleno is coming with these hideous looking alloys ? but WHY? Why not the ones shown in motor show, DAMN Maruti
autohead115 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 11:33   #583
BHPian

A slight photoshop edit.
IMO, the car looks great with its European silhouette and rear.
Slight Chevrolet Cruze looking headlamps or the ones from the last generation Honda City S would have added to that much premium look at the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-baleo-1-modify.jpg  

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-0_468_700_http___172_17_115_180_82_extraimages_20151012083647_b3-copy.jpg  

Last edited by ciddharth : 15th October 2015 at 11:44.
ciddharth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 12:16   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
7 Shades of Baleno
Premium Silver
Pearl Artic White
I think Nexa/Maruti guys have blundered in naming colours on the website.

This should be Pearl Arctic White:
Name:  white.png
Views: 24480
Size:  137.6 KB
and this should be Premium Silver:
Name:  silver.png
Views: 10497
Size:  135.0 KB
If you hover over the link to "Premium Silver", it reads "White" and vice versa. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 15th October 2015, 12:24   #585
BHPian

Some one posted this on FB after a test drive.
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-12096490_10156112135720316_6590450490651909159_n.jpg

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-11147886_10156112135610316_625472700706615249_n.jpg

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-12074530_10156112135650316_4491131632702379976_n.jpg

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-12109118_10156112135860316_836171100582627688_n.jpg

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-12079511_10156112135980316_5604313381739164436_n.jpg
krsna777 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks