Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2015, 14:41   #646
BHPian

re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Maruti has released the official product video for the Baleno through Nexa. The video shows the features in a promotional demo. Note 3:23 to 3:30 for the engine power-torque curves.

spsam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 15:41   #647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Some nice pictures, courtesy-Gaadi.com

Regards
Real life pictures make the Baleno out to be a handsome yet slightly restrained design. I quite like what I see of the Baleno which does not have any area that looks particularly ugly. It's got a flat, hunkered down stance and to me slots somewhat in between the flash of the i20 and the restrained elegance of the Polo.

I particularly like the blue shade of the car.

The boot looks deep but narrow which may pose a problem trying to load medium to big sized suitcases in. The Swift era of cramped legroom(though as a Polo owner the Swift legroom looks particularly good.) seems to be over with the Baleno seeming to fare pretty good in this department.

Equipment as expected is pretty comprehensive which should be if Maruti expects the numbers on this model.

Let me save my biggest criticism for the end. The engine. I am sorely disappointed with Maruti's choice to used the 75bhp MJD. Okay, the 1.6 would have seen me in heaven but seriously at least the 90bhp version of the 1.3? Cmon Maruti. Yes the weight saving and all that means a decently performing car but the 90bhp would have been spectacular. However spectacular doesn't necessarily sell cars (The Polo GT and the Punto 90hp have not even tickled Maruti Swift sales) and who knows that better than Maruti?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Man, the alloys could have been better. Whoever designed these for the Baleno and the S Cross should be fired!
The Maruti Zen and later the Suzuki Swift single handedly turbocharged the aftermarket alloy industry in India. If you think about it Maruti with the lack lustre Baleno and the S-Cross alloys wants to keep doing it bit for this industry.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 17th October 2015 at 15:57. Reason: Merging two posts
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 15:41   #648
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The official Nexa homepage of the Baleno has been updated. It now features, among a host of other things, a complete 360° view of the car.
The 360 degree view shows the A-pillar in body colour! Is it so?

BTW, this stance and colour makes me very tempting.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-marutibalenofirered.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 17th October 2015 at 15:48.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 16:26   #649
BHPian

CarDekho have uploaded their video review of the Baleno. This probably is the most detailed video review of the Baleno that has been released till now. From 4:11 to 4:18, the power and torque display in the multi information display is shown varying based on throttle input.

spsam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 16:53   #650
Distinguished - BHPian

Official Baleno TVC released by Nexa:

RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 18:11   #651
Distinguished - BHPian

Walk around Video from IAB of the Baleno!

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th October 2015 at 18:16.
Old 17th October 2015, 23:30   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsam View Post
CarDekho have uploaded their video review of the Baleno. This probably is the most detailed video review of the Baleno that has been released till now. From 4:11 to 4:18, the power and torque display in the multi information display is shown varying based on throttle input.
Interestingly this video review also shows that Baleno suspension is tuned towards comfort. Its funny that it took a while to stabilize after the drift. That also tells us to drive the car ourselves to decide if it meets our own criteria than just rely on reviews. Nevertheless nobody is complaining about handling, which usually is very rare to hear for cars built for the masses now a days. A very good sign

Another video review below although starts off funnily covers most of the aspects in text bookish manner.
Still need to see in flesh how the Premium Urban Blue looks(due to my nostalgia with blue).

Last edited by WRXXX : 17th October 2015 at 23:40.
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 01:32   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
Another video review below although starts off funnily covers most of the aspects in text bookish manner.
Still need to see in flesh how the Premium Urban Blue looks(due to my nostalgia with blue).
Nowadays any Tom, Dick and Harry tend to review cars and post them on youtube.

The other day I was watching the new Figo 2015 review of these Motown folks on youtube, the reviewer claims the 1.5L Petrol DCT motor has a turbo lag

I corrected them through the comments section but it was deleted in a while.

All I'm trying to say is lets not judge/conclude a car by these bogus reviewers and end up being mislead.
Old 18th October 2015, 02:07   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
Nowadays any Tom, Dick and Harry tend to review cars and post them on Youtube.

The other day I was watching the new Figo 2015 review of these Motown folks on Youtube, the reviewer claims the 1.5L Petrol DCT motor has a turbo lag

I corrected them through the comments section but it was deleted in a while.

All I'm trying to say is lets not judge/conclude a car by these bogus reviewers and end up being mislead.
Technically it does, it's just that you have to wait indefinitely as the turbo never spools

Jokes aside, you are right, any idiot with some kind of camera can become a car reviewer these days, mind you it's not that the so-call 'professional' reviewers from big-name auto mags were much better or fair and unbiased in their reviews. That's why everybody eagerly waits for the TBHP review as it is the only quality, unbiased review around.

Last edited by chncar : 18th October 2015 at 02:10.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 03:27   #655
Senior - BHPian

When I saw the Baleno, I absolutely didn't like the highlighted area in the pics, which kinda looks blank.
Now the looks have grown up on me and I have actually started to like the looks but whenever I see it again after some time, it again looks blank. Rest all design is very very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I quite like what I see of the Baleno which does not have any area that looks particularly ugly.
I tried paintbrush and came up with this which I strongly felt when I saw the pics of Baleno for the first time, but it would make it look like just another Maruti like Ritz, Dzire or Swift.

Second is fake lights / Reflectors like we have seen on Toyota Qualis.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-bal.jpg  

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-tbh.jpg  

Attached Images

carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 04:38   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
When I saw the Baleno, I absolutely didn't like the highlighted area in the pics, which kinda looks blank.
Now the looks have grown up on me and I have actually started to like the looks but whenever I see it again after some time, it again looks blank. Rest all design is very very good.

I tried paintbrush and came up with this which I strongly felt when I saw the pics of Baleno for the first time, but it would make it look like just another Maruti like Ritz, Dzire or Swift.

Second is fake lights / Reflectors like we have seen on Toyota Qualis.
I think you have answered your own question. To me as well the front grill looked awkward at first but I liked it when I started seeing the production features. As you said going for the grill the way you have Photoshop-ed it would have made it look ordinary.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 09:01   #657
Senior - BHPian

If the made that 'V' a bit more sharper and slimmer, it could have passed off for an Alfa Romeo and resemble less of a buck tooth. But then they would also have been accused of plagiarizing.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 09:15   #658
BHPian

It would have been nice if the torque and power display could have been linked or hooked up to the display of the entertainment system.
INHO the car is bland in looks...nothing great. I think the Hyundai beats the Baleno in the looks department.
I like the instrument cluster and the nicely laid out speedometer and RPM gauge.
Old 18th October 2015, 09:57   #659
Senior - BHPian

It is wider than the Hyundai i20, which is a pretty wide car to start with. Probably the widest hatchback in India. So the baleno has a bigger footprint and is a different kettle of fish. To find a bigger footprint in Hyundai stable, one has to look at the Elantra. So the Hyundai doesn't have a direct competitor to Baleno YRA atleast in terms of footprint and resulting internal dimensions and comfort. So when you have a bigger footprint it will impact perceptions on looks as well in due course.

Handling is a weak area for the Hyundai across range, the Baleno YRA is supposed to have good handling by all those who were offered a test ride. So again when it comes to the meat and potatoes Baleno does better than Hyundai products in similar space.
Old 18th October 2015, 12:30   #660
Senior - BHPian

I also want to clarify which I couldn't in my previous post is that blank space near the grill could be filled up by reflectors like the Qualis but it would look al cheapo.
If I would buy that car, the first thing I would do is request the radium number plate guy to design yummy stickers for that space, something like Abarth logo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I think you have answered your own question.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks