Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2015, 11:41   #946
Senior - BHPian

re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Great move by Maruti. With this car and its pricing Maruti has ensured that Nexa showrooms will be busy though out the year and will make good money. This will make sure that even tier II and tier III cities will also open Nexa showrooms and thus they can increase the sales in coming months or may be in year or two. I guess they will target to open more than 250 showrooms. This will also help S-cross sales IMHO. Consider this scenario - Person intending to buy top end diesel Baleno may get tempted to buy S-cross base model or second model with some more amount as S-cross is already having some good discounts (EMI say 2000 more per month only ). What he will get with that amount is bigger car with better powered engine and upper class car with more space and feel of true luxury car.

Lots of people are worried about Swift. Already Swift is getting some nice discounts, specially the diesel one. With discounts they will target cars like i10 Grand, Figo, Brio etc. Baleno will mainly compete with i20 Elite and Jazz.
Old 27th October 2015, 11:45   #947
BHPian

Maruti is setting the right example by providing safety features instead of LED lights and auto wipers. And exciting as the pricing and features sound, I'd hold on to my horses until the crash test reports are out trusting that the version used in the test and the one sold in India are no different.

The only thing that caused me discomfort is the rear. The hatch and the bumper seem to be almost in the same vertical line. So the bumper provides little or no protection to the hatch in case of rear impact. The previous gen Figo and i10 grand are example of this (deliberate?) design.

Reusing @singletons' image for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-baleno_rear.jpg  

isiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 11:50   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Correction, the Baleno too provides a GPS Navigation in the Topend version.
I compared only the Zeta variants, because, Alpha variant of S-Cross is priced above 10L and hence would come under a different Road tax bracket.
If some one is eyeing the Alpha variant, the difference would be around 3.5L between S-Cross & Baleno.
Yes you are right, the Alpha variant of Baleno gives the GPS navigation.
It is possible that the person looking for Baleno Alpha could be convinced to buy S-Cross Zeta (Price difference about 2.2L on road). In this case, he will lose out the touch screen, projector headlamps, auto headlamps, DRLs, leather wrappings, parking sensors.
For a buyer who wants a comfortable seating, and does not mind much about the gizmos, the additional 2L makes most sense. But for those who wants all latest features on his car, under a budget, and also does not want more than a hatchback - Baleno makes more sense.

Note: The above comparison is because, such comparison, and change of mind is possible in the showroom after seeing two products together, though both are from different segments.
A buyer will not strictly look into the segment he initially started checking out.
e.g -A person who initially wants an i20, might go to check out the Baleno and end up buying an S-Cross, if budget permits.
Old 27th October 2015, 12:01   #949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
I compared only the Zeta variants, because, Alpha variant of S-Cross is priced above 10L and hence would come under a different Road tax bracket.
Maruti Suzuki is likely to readjust the prices and make the Delta variant of S Cross as VFM.

So DDiS200 Zeta variant could go above the 10 L ex showroom price and Delta will be updated with some features keeping it well under the 10 L ex showroom price bracket.
Old 27th October 2015, 12:13   #950
BHPian

Why will anybody revise the price northwards of a product which is already struggling to sell.

Visited NEXA long back and now planning to visit it again this week as Baleno ticks most of the boxes I am interested in except wife's need for a (semi) sedan as I am moving from real Baleno. For her, its a demotion going from sedan to hatch :(
May be need to take a day or two off from the job to convince her.
girish

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki is likely to readjust the prices and make the Delta variant of S Cross as VFM.

So DDiS200 Zeta variant could go above the 10 L ex showroom price and Delta will be updated with some features keeping it well under the 10 L ex showroom price bracket.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 12:31   #951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Why will anybody revise the price northwards of a product which is already struggling to sell.
DDiS200 is doing reasonably well. Pricing is speculated to be adjusted to accommodate the 'Vitara Brezza' ant its variants- the Compact UV to be positioned just below S Cross.
Old 27th October 2015, 13:26   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
If some one is eyeing the Alpha variant, the difference would be around 3.5L between S-Cross & Baleno.
Yes you are right, the Alpha variant of Baleno gives the GPS navigation.
It is possible that the person looking for Baleno Alpha could be convinced to buy S-Cross Zeta (Price difference about 2.2L on road). In this case, he will lose out the touch screen, projector headlamps, auto headlamps, DRLs, leather wrappings, parking sensors.
For a buyer who wants a comfortable seating, and does not mind much about the gizmos, the additional 2L makes most sense. But for those who wants all latest features on his car, under a budget, and also does not want more than a hatchback - Baleno makes more sense.

Note: The above comparison is because, such comparison, and change of mind is possible in the showroom after seeing two products together, though both are from different segments.
A buyer will not strictly look into the segment he initially started checking out.
e.g -A person who initially wants an i20, might go to check out the Baleno and end up buying an S-Cross, if budget permits.
Correction here. The S-Cross 1.3 zeta has everything that Baleno alpha got except the below,

HID's + DRL
leather wrapped steering wheel
chrome door handle
auto wiper and head lamps.
Apple car play(Expect this to be carried to S-cross via software update)
Those jazzy animation (though I like it)
UV cut glass(very useful)
Auto dimming IRVM
Follow me home headlamps

On the other hand S-Cross has to offer,

VGT with 90PS.
Better space
All 4 disc brakes.
Driver and passenger sun visors with illumination(Not sure about Baleno)
Cruise control
Rear arm rest
Seat belt height adjuster(not sure if Baleno has it)
Fatter wheels
2 extra tweeters(need to check for Baleno)
Sliding front arm rest(need to check for Baleno)
Much better plastic and finish
Solidly built(Not that Baleno is bad but the weight says so)
Much better visibility
Better suspension(I expect Baleno to be equally good)

Correct me if I am wrong. Of course Baleno is a fantastic package at this price point and it's a sure winner. But, I think the petrol version is an evolution. If I am not wrong majority bookings are petrol alpha(not sure about the authenticity of this information).

But, if you are looking for the oil burner, S-Cross zeta makes more sense with a 2 lakh premium(if you are willing to spend). Just my thoughts.

Cross-shopping is bound to happen and s-cross is going to gain some numbers here if Maruti can throw some discounts on sigma and delta or even zeta of s-cross.
Old 27th October 2015, 13:28   #953
Senior - BHPian

Well, I m seriously impressed by the petrol pricing.
Have some questions for the members-
1. How exactly does brake assist works?
2. The petrol mileage claim is 21 something. So, in Delhi region and in realistic driving environment can I expect a FE of 14kmpl with AC on?
3. How fun to drive is this petrol engine? Will it drive effortlessly with 4 people on board and luggage in the boot?
4. What is the exact boot space? Can't find it mentioned anywhere.
5. How much should I expect to spend on yearly maintenance?
6. What is the service interval?
7. As reported the warranty is 1year/40000km. If that's true it's ridiculous. How much is extended warranty?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Can't believe that I am seriously considering a petrol car. But the package as in whole and the pricing is too good to be ignored. Kudos Suzuki
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 13:47   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
4. What is the exact boot space? Can't find it mentioned anywhere.
Is 340 liters for the one that will be retailed in the Indian market whereas, 355 for the overseas one. Since I got a dekko of the car today, I can confirm that it is quite a spacious boot.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 27th October 2015 at 13:54.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 13:50   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
Of course Baleno is a fantastic package at this price point and it's a sure winner. But, I think the petrol version is an evolution. If I am not wrong majority bookings are petrol alpha(not sure about the authenticity of this information).

But, if you are looking for the oil burner, S-Cross zeta makes more sense with a 2 lakh premium(if you are willing to spend). Just my thoughts.

Cross-shopping is bound to happen and s-cross is going to gain some numbers here if Maruti can throw some discounts on sigma and delta or even zeta of s-cross.
Thanks for the detailed summary of features.
Yes, those who come to take a look at Baleno Diesel will probably take a look at S-Cross as well. This will result in some cross shopping.
However, for petrol, Baleno is the only choice as of now in the showroom.
Baleno is not a slow starter like the S-Cross, it will have bookings for several months right from the beginning.
Does anyone have the slightest feeling that, on seeing Baleno side by side with i20, Baleno looks strikingly beautiful & fresh, compared to the i20? However, when compared Jazz with i20, though Jazz was a new release, the i20 looked more "elite". Of course, looks are subjective!
Old 27th October 2015, 13:56   #956
BHPian

Fantastic Pricing by Maruti.... They are serious about Nexa and hence didnt want to take nay chances with the 2nd launch after the S Cross received an "OK" response by Maruti standards.

Coming to the pricing strategy, I am pretty sure Maruti must have done a detailed demographic analysis of where the max. sales of Swift is happening. I presume that may be more than 50% Swift may be sold where there are no NEXA showrooms. Hence, this is a brilliant move and a win-win for them. They are mainly targeting the urban space where Swift is losing to Jazz and I20.
Old 27th October 2015, 13:59   #957
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys - Here is the Bangalore Pricing for Baleno! ( probably the highest in India)
These prices quoted will 'truly'be introductory, expect a price increase post festive season. Bookings cross 100+, Alpha Petrol variant gets the maximum bookings!

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-img20151027wa0000.jpg

Source: Nexa thru'RM

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th October 2015 at 14:04.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 14:05   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Guys - Here is the Bangalore Pricing for Baleno!

Attachment 1431574

The snapshot suggests that it is an introductory price.
Lets see how prices shape up in a couple of months down the line.

This awesome initial pricing might only be intended only for consumers to get acquainted towards Nexa outlets.
Old 27th October 2015, 14:08   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys - Here is the Bangalore Pricing for Baleno! ( probably the highest in India)

Strange because when I checked carwale yesterday for an on road estimate (used Mumbai since Pune was still not an option), it showed 5,91,xxx as ex showroom price of the Delta, which is exactly the same as that of Bangalore.

Though it is introductory price, I do not expect the price to increase more than 20-30k.
Old 27th October 2015, 14:14   #960
BANNED

This is the holy grail as far pricing is considered. Take a bow MSIL. While this will affect the sales of Swift, Maruti has to be appreciated for this gutsy move. In one master stroke they have taken the wind out of Elite i20, Jazz and the Figo Petrol variant ( there is no reason to buy the Petrol version other than Titanium +). Ford will be left wondering what have struck them, there is no where to run now! Hope now manufacturers bring out Automatic in all variants, the first one to do that can still hold the turf.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed