Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2015, 23:20   #1186
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

I went to the Nexa Andheri West showroom today for completing my booking formalities and also to check out the Baleno in flesh for the first time. They only had the Zeta variant (ray blue colour, diesel) on display and sadly still no test cars available. Here are my impressions:
1. The car looks really wide and has a significant bonnet area (very similar to the elite I20) unlike the new Jazz.
2. Driving position is really good, you have a very commanding view of the road side and with all switches and controls are easily accessible. The 4" display looks very very cool.
3. The OVRMs are big and adequate. The IRVM seemed a bit small, but given the back glass area of Baleno is not very big, I felt it is adequate.
4. The front seats offer very high cushioning and support.
5. The steering can be adjusted for reach and also tilt (only in Zeta and Alpha variant), and should be able to cater to a wide range of driving styles.
6. Having read quite a few comments in this thread on quality of plastics, I felt that if we compare with all other cars in this segment (Swift twins, Ritz, I20, Jazz, Xcent, Figo twins, Amaze, Liva twins), only I20 will score above Baleno and that also only given its 2 toned interiors, and certainly better than Jazz, figo twins, Amaze, Liva twins. Power window and door latches remind you of the existing Maruti, but otherwise, the entire dash area looks very fresh and very unlike Maruti to be frank. Yes the plastic quality may not be comparable to the likes of the City, Verna etc, but for the segment which it is competing in, it is certainly good
7. Rear seating is very adequate for 3 adults and I felt the only equivalent in the segment in this aspect is the Jazz. Knee room and shoulder room is good (much better than the segment leader I20 and leagues ahead of the Figo twins), for taller guys head room may be an issue. I am 5'10", and I was very comfortable. The under thigh support would be at par with all others in the segment and definitely better than than the Jazz and the Figo twins, although I did feel it was a bit firm.
8. I did notice that when the car has 3 rear passengers, the back end of the car does tend to sag a bit and this will need to be checked during test drive (which I believe won't happen for the next 6-7 days as the test cars have gone for registration)
9. The boot area is really big and given the contours most of the space is usable. The only hitch is the loading lip which is pretty high.
10. For the size of the car and the profile of tyres on offer (195/55 R16) although similar to the one in I20 (top variant), it somehow felt smaller and felt very similar when I saw the tyres on the Aspire. The diamond cut alloys of the I20 is no match to the alloys of the Baleno.
11. I have attached a pic of the car taken at a angle, the front part is distinctly swift and the second half looks very similar to the I20
12. Also taking a reference to the numerous comments on the metal build quality, I didn't feel it to the extent some have mentioned.

Overall, the car felt very very VFM as on date, given the pricing of the Delta, Zeta and Alpha trim. The price points and the features are such that right from a Swift/ figo/ Grand I10 buyer to the Aspire/ Dzire/ I20/ Jazz buyer, there is a variant on offer for each of them.

PS. When I had gone to pre-book the car, the showroom was almost empty (when on the s-cross was on display). Today, given the crowd, I felt I was very much in a Maruti showroom. I am not sure where the Nexa concept is headed. S-cross is certainly getting more enquiries than before (it remains to be seen how many of them convert to sales)
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-img20151101wa0012.jpg  

abhik897 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 01:14   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Maruti should have given the top left alloy as standard on the Baleno. Its looks much better for an OEM alloy. Current ones looks like wheel caps from a distance.

Also, lower and mid variant buyer should upgrade the stock MRFs to Yoko Earths. I think they wont have to pay anything considering Yokos are actually cheaper than MRFs (not sure just speculating).

Yoko price link reference : http://www.snapdeal.com/product/yoko...-88/1019166460
Attached Images

dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 08:33   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the Baleno over the weekend. It looks stellar on the outside. I loved the rear 3/4 with that rear windshield on an extremely acute angle. Also, the factory tint looks great. Hope we start to get that in more cars given how strong our sun is. The variant to pick is the Alpha, this car definitely need those projectors.

The Baleno is super spacious. Lots of room in the front, rear and boot. And the build quality is not that bad. Maybe I was expecting worse but it looked as good or bad as the Ciaz. I think the doors are better than the current generation Swift. And given the massive increase in footprint and the reduced weight, it comes across as great engineering by Suzuki if the structure is not compromised in crash tests. I certainly hope so. Let's wait and watch.

What I was not expecting was how the interior felt. The materials got better quality than Swift. The indicator stalks, the plastics on top etc are much better, but the overall design doesn't add to desirability. The weird ACC module, the texture of plastic on top of the doors and dash (Swift is much better), the lackluster upholstery, the very blue treatment of the instrument cluster etc spoils it for me. I much prefer the interior of the S-Cross between the two.

Anyways, the Baleno is stellar value for money if it drives like the Swift. The showroom was crowded and they already have 250 bookings across variants. And MSIL is on overdrive with marketing the car and there is genuine interest in the market. At least two friends have asked specifically about the Baleno in past few days and both are serious buyers. Waiting for the demo car to TD and the review that matters to form an opinion. I have a feeling the petrol Alpha will be the pick.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 08:50   #1189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
He said the Projector head lamps can be made available and would cost me around 35k.

I did mention to the RM that I had read about this not being possible due to different wiring harness on the Alpha variant. He said that wouldn't be a problem.

Nevertheless, this is just an FYI considering I didn't opt for the Projector headlamps (35k was a little steep for my liking). So maybe Volkman's right about it not being available.
You can take it for sure the Projector lights/HID will not be available as an accessory. For S Cross too they did say it will be available as an accessiry for the lower variants.

But when the Accessory has arrived ( INR 38k) there is an Instruction from Maruti to strictly be used for Alpha variants only.

Info:Nexa-Bimal

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd November 2015 at 09:00.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:12   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
But when the Accessory has arrived ( INR 38k) there is an Instruction from Maruti to strictly be used for Alpha variants only.

Info:Nexa-Bimal
Thanks for that bit, mate! What's the point in even advertising it an accessory if, its available only for the Alpha trims? Isn't it a given that in case one has the misfortune of breaking his/ her s-cross' headlight assembly, a replacement WILL be available with MSIL .

It's surprising they did not have these yet, with the car already 2-3 months into the sale period

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 2nd November 2015 at 09:13.
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:17   #1191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Thanks for that bit, mate! What's the point in even advertising it an accessory if, its available only for the Alpha trims?
Actually it is the over enthusiastic SA's who has advertised them as an accessory for the lower variants!

If you check the accessory list at Nexa, the Projector lamps are not listed
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 10:00   #1192
SRK
Senior - BHPian

I've booked the Baleno petrol in Alpha trim in the white shade at the Lower Parel NEXA

The showroom had the car in same spec and was ready to deliver it by this Thursday if payment was cleared. I didn't go for it and have asked for a 2016 manufactured model, which should be here by Jan end (there is a risk of price increase though).

The showroom was crowded. None of the sales guy were free to attend and no place to sit as well. Imagine having a cheque to book your new ride and standing for an hour for it. So as far as the NEXA experience is concerned I haven't experienced it till date even after close to 4 visits in different showrooms, it is same as any other Maruti outlet.

By the way within that 1 hour period saw three S-Cross being delivered back to back, one of them was a 1.6 model. Baleno has certainly affected the sales of the S-cross. I think people interested in the top end diesel of the Baleno will atleast have a look at the S-Cross and consider it as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik897 View Post
I went to the Nexa Andheri West showroom today for completing my booking formalities and also to check out the Baleno in flesh for the first time. They only had the Zeta variant (ray blue colour, diesel) on display and sadly still no test cars available.
When I had visited the Alpha variant was there . I think it was not available because they took the same to the Autocar Performance Show. For test drive you can try the outlet at Lower Parel, they had the cars since the launch it seems but go early else the crowd and the traffic will increase.

By the way I found a difference of close to Rs.1200/- between the dealers offering extended warranty for 3 & 4 th year. The Andheri outlet had a higher price. Isn't it supposed to be same across all dealerships?

Also wanted to know, the Smartplay has an inbuilt GPS. Can we use that to track the vehicle on our phone or computer?

Last edited by SRK : 2nd November 2015 at 10:03.
SRK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 10:45   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
I've booked the Baleno petrol in Alpha trim in the white shade at the Lower Parel NEXA
Congratulations, my friend!

Quote:
When I had visited the Alpha variant was there . I think it was not available because they took the same to the Autocar Performance Show.
There was just one Baleno Alpha VVT at the Autocar Performance show. So, possible! But, the RMs didn't seem to be from Andheri NEXA.

Quote:

Also wanted to know, the Smartplay has an inbuilt GPS. Can we use that to track the vehicle on our phone or computer?
You are right about the built-in GPS. but, I would assume it to be a receiver and not a transmitter. Moreso, a mobile data setup would be required for the system to broadcast location information. If such a feature did exist, it would have been marketed quite heavily by Maruti.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 2nd November 2015 at 11:06.
Old 2nd November 2015, 10:57   #1194
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, my friend!
Thanks, waiting for your update as well

Quote:
There was just one Baleno Alpha VVT at the Autocar Performance show. So, possible! but, the RMs didn't seem to be from Andheri NEXA.

You are right about the GPS. but, I would assume it's only a receiver and not a transmitter else, it would have been quite heavily marketed by Maruti

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
So it seems the only way would be to have an after market system to track the car.

I know this would be asking for more but the system could have been complete with ability to insert a SIM and track the car. Also connectivity to WiFi using the mobile hotspot or hotspot dongle would have been icing on the cake

The test drive cars did not have the Maps inserted hence could not use the Navigation. May be S-Cross and Ciaz owners can comment how good or bad the system is.
SRK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 11:05   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, waiting for your update as well
Will get there gradually

Quote:
Also connectivity to WiFi using the mobile hotspot or hotspot dongle would have been icing on the cake .. The test drive cars did not have the Maps inserted hence could not use the Navigation.
With an iPhone plugged in, shouldn't one be able to use the Apple Maps and other apps which use mobile data? With an Android phone, its a given that map data would be required to be stored somewhere on the system locally.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 2nd November 2015 at 11:08.
Old 2nd November 2015, 11:08   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
The showroom was crowded. None of the sales guy were free to attend and no place to sit as well. Imagine having a cheque to book your new ride and standing for an hour for it. So as far as the NEXA experience is concerned I haven't experienced it till date even after close to 4 visits in different showrooms, it is same as any other Maruti outlet.
When I went to Nexa, a few days after the launch of S-Cross, the showroom was literally free, and the showroom experience was quite good. The black and white theme is pleasing to the eyes, and the SAs were free to attend and show around the car.
However, at that point of time, the other aspects such as the most talked about the minimal use of paper, by means of ipads, displays were all not happening.
Now, with the launch of a new mass market vehicle, it is expected that the showroom gets crowded, and developing the idea of premium showroom experience further takes a back seat.
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 11:20   #1197
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
When I went to Nexa, a few days after the launch of S-Cross, the showroom was literally free, and the showroom experience was quite good. The black and white theme is pleasing to the eyes, and the SAs were free to attend and show around the car.
The look and feel of the showroom is premium for sure. Especially the delivery area.

Quote:
However, at that point of time, the other aspects such as the most talked about the minimal use of paper, by means of ipads, displays were all not happening.
They use the ipads to show images got from the web of the car and show the brochure, which they don't have in print. The price list is still a copy handed over when asked. They did say to most that we will send the brochure and pricelist by mail but I did not see any one taking note of the email id from the customer. Also every time I went no one had asked me to provide contact details so they could call back, which usually happens at most showrooms. Instead I had to ask for their numbers to get the info when required.

Quote:
Now, with the launch of a new mass market vehicle, it is expected that the showroom gets crowded, and developing the idea of premium showroom experience further takes a back seat.
Yes, the crowd was increasing as time went by. In comparison the Maruti showroom next door was literally empty.
SRK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 11:26   #1198
Senior - BHPian

My friend Sharad shared these pictures of a brand new Baleno from the Bangalore Nexa.

Name:  ForumRunner_20151102_112546.png
Views: 8604
Size:  479.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20151102_112559.png
Views: 7169
Size:  499.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20151102_111719.png
Views: 7068
Size:  218.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20151102_111727.png
Views: 6894
Size:  376.4 KB
schakravarthy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 11:59   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the crowd was increasing as time went by. In comparison the Maruti showroom next door was literally empty.
While talking about Maruti's showroom being empty, just near the Nexa, I have another example in Coimbatore.
Nexa's showroom was crowded, and there were too many visitor cars in front of the showroom. Some had double parked the cars on road side! The ambience was like these guys were giving something free of cost.
Travel a few meters ahead, we can see the poor Tata showroom, with empty parking space, with no one visible in the showroom. It makes one wonder, even the SAs went on long leave, leaving the showrooms empty. There are serial bulbs hanging, but nobody seem to take note of what is in. I guess they have displayed the Genx Nano, Zest & Bolt, with more focus seemingly to the Nano as it is seen better from the road.
Of course, these impressions are just opinions based on what I saw while travelling on the road. Post Baleno launch, I did not visit either showrooms in person.
Manufacturers now and then need some magical release to increase footfalls!
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 12:06   #1200
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
While talking about Maruti's showroom being empty, just near the Nexa, I have another example in Coimbatore.
Nexa's showroom was crowded, and there were too many visitor cars in front of the showroom. Some had double parked the cars on road side! The ambience was like these guys were giving something free of cost.
Travel a few meters ahead, we can see the poor Tata showroom, with empty parking space, with no one visible in the showroom. It makes one wonder, even the SAs went on long leave, leaving the showrooms empty. There are serial bulbs hanging, but nobody seem to take note of what is in. I guess they have displayed the Genx Nano, Zest & Bolt, with more focus seemingly to the Nano as it is seen better from the road.
Of course, these impressions are just opinions based on what I saw while travelling on the road. Post Baleno launch, I did not visit either showrooms in person.
Manufacturers now and then need some magical release to increase footfalls!
Same experience was seen yesterday by me. The NEXA Lower Parel is inside a mall. So customers came and parked their cars right outside the showroom. The mall management had to come and talk with the showroom guys to move the cars. I think they even deflated the wheel of one car as it wasn't moved.

I also heard a few people saying "Lagta hai aaj gaadi free mai mil raha hai" (it seems cars are being given for free today).

Another interesting thing was at the Andheri showroom I saw two guys with Hyundai printed in small letters on their shirt. They were checking the Baleno inside out and clicking many pics. Probably could be from the showroom that is close by. Their seniors must have sent them in to investigate how they can convince the customer to go for the Elite i20 over the Baleno. And by the way, I went to two Hyundai showroom and they don't have the i20 for display, when I inquired I was shown the Demo car parked outside, which was dirty and had damaged buttons and parts.
SRK is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks