Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2015, 01:11   #1216
BHPian

Does the zeta variant have drl and 16" rims too, as most sites are mentioning that only additional features in top end alpha are projector headlamps, Apple play, and reverse parking sensors?
I am quite sure that's not the case, as otherwise the zeta should be the favourite variant.
But could someone confirm?
Old 3rd November 2015, 06:30   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arit.mondal View Post
Does the zeta variant have drl and 16" rims too, as most sites are mentioning that only additional features in top end alpha are projector headlamps, Apple play, and reverse parking sensors?
I am quite sure that's not the case, as otherwise the zeta should be the favourite variant.
Zeta gets everything Alpha has other than touchscreen music system, projector headlights, and reverse parking camera(sensors are standard from delta onwards). So DRLs are for Alpha only.

Last edited by WRXXX : 3rd November 2015 at 06:32.
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 08:18   #1218
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arit.mondal View Post
The projectors with drl are a great incentive enough for anyone who wants to buy the car, it's solely that component of the car that makes it stand out and differentiates it with looking like swift from the front.
AtheK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 08:53   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
The projectors with drl are a great incentive enough for anyone who wants to buy the car, it's solely that component of the car that makes it stand out and differentiates it with looking like swift from the front.
I agree, provided someone doesn't like swift looks in swift like pricing.

I have a strong pull for the DRLs alone and how I wish the DRL was standard as well and clubbed as a Baleno safety feature

Last edited by WRXXX : 3rd November 2015 at 08:54.
WRXXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 13:30   #1220
BHPian

Just checked out the Oh-So Premium Baleno at a nearest Nexa. And IMO, there is nothing premium about it. Looks and feel more like a grown up Swift but with even lighter build quality. I fail to understand how this could fight the mighty Elite i20. I would say Elite is atleast a class above this when overall feel and quality is compared. Space though is very good and must trump all others in the Sub-4 meter cars. Looking for a hatch to run around the town, and I am not willing to spend any more than 6L for the quality it offers.
ScorpMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 13:43   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Just checked out the Oh-So Premium Baleno at a nearest Nexa. And IMO, there is nothing premium about it. Looks and feel more like a grown up Swift but with even lighter build quality. I fail to understand how this could fight the mighty Elite i20. I would say Elite is atleast a class above this when overall feel and quality is compared. Space though is very good and must trump all others in the Sub-4 meter cars. Looking for a hatch to run around the town, and I am not willing to spend any more than 6L for the quality it offers.
Hey,

I had the same opinion till a while ago but, I did check it out thrice after that. I must say, I stand corrected. When you shut the doors from outside, you do feel the light build and get a built-to-a-cost feel but, that's not so when you are inside the vehicle and attempt the same. I have to agree with what a lot of members had mentioned originally that the Baleno does feel decent for what the segment offers.

I TD'ed the i20 on Sunday and except for how beautiful it looks, found nothing exemplary about it. Only hard plastics all over but yes, they atleast "look" good! But, would I spend my money on stuff which only looks good, I am not sure! I'd rather invest that in the Baleno which our fellow members have described as quite enthusiastic to drive . To each his own

The price point the Delta and Zeta variants are offered at, it's difficult to ignore the Baleno. Factor this, a Baleno Zeta petrol is priced at 7.5L OTR whereas, the elite i20 Sportz (O) (with lesser equipment )is 8.15L. The math here is easy and it's not too difficult to figure out whose direction the market would sway in.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 3rd November 2015 at 14:03.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 14:11   #1222
BHPian

Checked out the Baleno over the weekend, apart from all that has been mentioned here, something that was not to my liking was the way the front headrest is shaped.

When we sit at the back i sort of felt that the view was blocked by these huge headrests.

Again, to clarify i have not taken a TD and this was my observation when i sat for no more than 5 mins at the back, as the crowd eyeing me to get out soon was increasing.

Anybody else feels the same or was it just me???

The Sadashivnagar Nexa was closed on Sunday and i could still see a crowd gathered near the road to catch a glimpse of the Baleno, reminded me of the times when people stand on the road to catch the crucial last overs of a cricket match in front of TV showrooms
ro3hit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 15:20   #1223
Senior - BHPian

+1 About that headrest. They are massive! Think Zen headrests but if you put the drivers seat on the highest setting they almost brush the roof.

I was a backseat passenger on the Baleno and Figo TDs, and i would say the Figo was more comfortable than the Baleno. Couple of points.

1. In the Baleno you sit more upright than the Figo. The Figo bench is a bit deeper and has much better under thigh support.

2. Once on the move, the Baleno rear seats are a nice place to be in. Its extremely spacious and airy and belies the fact that its hatchback. The Figo though was not far behind. Although it wasnt that spacious, it was a very comfortable place to sit it even when you are sitting behind a 6 footer. What helps is, the Figo seatbacks are heavily scooped in, so that it allows you to step in without twisting around your leg much and with ample knee room.

3.Baleno rear headrests were pretty big too!

4.At idle if everyone stops talking in the Baleno, you can hear the unmistakable diesel firing vibes and sounds from 1.3 even as a rear passenger. Not so in the Figo. Just an observation, not a flaw. Infact Baleno sound insulation was pretty good.

5. My Santro friend had this observation when he was driving the Baleno, which was, he was unimpressed with the visibility. He did not appreciate the thick A pillars, and the rather deep and sloping windshield. Also was unimpressed with the rear visibility.

6.He drove both the Baleno and the Figo back to back. And he was floored by the Figo engine post 2K. That thing pulls hard post 2.5K. He is seriously considering the Figo, but he intends to take a longer TD sometime in the middle of the week and also try out the petrol variants. For the Baleno he is stuck with the Alpha variant and will not consider going lower because without the projectors, it looks "just like a swift' according to him. But then he is in a dilemma because he really doesnt care about the apple car play and play such a premium for that variant.

On the other hand the Figo Titanium is very enticing, and i am right it was about a lakh cheaper. The only thing putting him off about the Figo is the small 14inchers and therefore would immediately have to upsize the tyres and the alloys and the its added cost. But like he said, that engine is worth. Will update when he gets back from a longer TD.

Last edited by avishar : 3rd November 2015 at 15:32.
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:34   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
The price point the Delta and Zeta variants are offered at, it's difficult to ignore the Baleno.
Completely agree to that. Certainly this will set the Sales charts on fire. I am looking at the Sigma & Delta Petrol as of now. The OTR for Sigma comes out to be just 5.45L, and IMO it is a lot of car for that money. The best part, it comes with all the basic necessities I need for a city runabout, plus comes with ABS & Dual Airbags.

Forgot to add earlier.
The UV Cut Glass on the Top-Most variant looks supercool. Wish it had been an option for the lower variants. Also IMO, the alloys are one of the worst OEM designs, as it is hard to differentiate them from regular plastic wheel covers. Should have been provided with a more aggressive design. Apart from this, the experience at Nexa was pathetic. Agreed they are coping up with the initial rush, but still expected a lot more.

Last edited by ScorpMan : 3rd November 2015 at 16:43.
ScorpMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:37   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
3.Baleno rear headrests were pretty big too!

5. My Santro friend had this observation when he was driving the Baleno, which was, he was unimpressed with the visibility. He did not appreciate the thick A pillars, and the rather deep and sloping windshield. Also was unimpressed with the rear visibility.
I think one definitely needs to carve out those headrests to slimmer ones

I agree with the above points, and found that I was actually sitting very close to the windshield. And windshield itself is low due to the low and hunkered design, so users who are opting for the Sub Zeta variants need to actually check out by sitting in the car, given that height adjustment is missing on those variants and telescopic steering is not available either.

I remember once driving the Nissan 350Z and I should say the visibility is quite hampered due to the stance of the car and sloping windshield too. In my view this requires some getting used to find a comfortable driving position. I had a similar feel when I switched from Ciaz to Ertiga the other day and both have different feel and visibility. So there is a lot of give and take in cars like these if you ask me!
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:51   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to add earlier.
The UV Cut Glass on the Top-Most variant looks supercool. Wish it had been an option for the lower variants.
Is available on the Zeta as well

Quote:
Also IMO, the alloys are one of the worst OEM designs, as it is hard to differentiate them from regular plastic wheel covers. Should have been provided with a more aggressive design.
That's something WRXXX and I have been on top of over PMs, since morning . A decent 16inch alloy design starts at 7500. Considering, the spare is a steel rim, we need just 4 alloys. Also, let's factor in 10000 buyback for the OEM alloys. Effective cost works out to 7500 *4 = 30000 - 10000 = 20000. With that amount, even a Zeta could look lethal if shod with some delicious alloys

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 3rd November 2015 at 16:52.
Old 3rd November 2015, 17:19   #1227
BHPian

Everyone is talking about the Baleno being a grown up Swift. So be it, what is important is that it looks good.
Also with this logic all cars from Volkswagen are grown up Polo's. All Audi cars also have the same family look.

I am also in the market for a new car and am inclined towards the Baleno. The dealership experience and behaviour is always better than that of Hyundai. I have already been given a test drive at my home from one of the dealer and the other one has also offered the same tomorrow. I remember calling the Hyundai dealer when the Elite i20 was launched and they had blatantly refused saying that you will have to come to the showroom for a TD.
nishant_242 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 17:39   #1228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_242 View Post
Everyone is talking about the Baleno being a grown up Swift. So be it, what is important is that it looks good.
Also with this logic all cars from Volkswagen are grown up Polo's. All Audi cars also have the same family look
LOLz nice one, talk about perception!

Also, its like saying 5 series is a grown up 3 series , which it is!
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 18:10   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_242 View Post
Also with this logic all cars from Volkswagen are grown up Polo's. All Audi cars also have the same family look.
I can't say this about everyone who has mentioned this, but I didn't mean the looks of it. IMO, most of the Bhp-ians understand what family looks are. So no problems at all with the grown up looks. All VW cars do look like grown up Polo's/Vento's, but with each grown up sibling, one can feel the upgrade in overall quality as well. This is where Baleno falls short.
I own a 2012 Swift Zdi, and expected a lot more from the Baleno. The major points in the wish list were better build quality, interior plastic quality & a useable rear seat. But sadly, except being more spacious & a bigger boot than the Swift, it fails on other counts, atleast for me.
Old 3rd November 2015, 18:43   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
The major points in the wish list were better build quality, interior plastic quality & a useable rear seat. But sadly, except being more spacious & a bigger boot than the Swift, it fails on other counts, atleast for me.
We depend a lot based on the number of kilos the car weighs, isn't it?
If the Baleno had weighed more than Swift, say around 1300kgs, would any of us questioned the car's build quality?
When the car is light, it raises questions, irrespective of whether it is proven safe or not. If the car has a lot of weight, even if it is not proven through crash tests, our minds will not question the strength. Ultimately, even a car with more kilos could fail in the tests.
Safety is just a perception, and having a car that is surviving standard crash tests just gives us some level of peace of mind, just like buying an insurance cover. At the time of untimely event, such insurance cover may not even work the way we expected to, due to unknown clauses, but still we get the peace of mind during normal times. Similarly if we have a car with more kilos, we need not worry about what the crash test results will be, irrespective of all the science behind crumple zones, etc.
In other words, when talking about build quality, more kilos = more peace of mind = more safe!
Regarding the rear seat - I believe, Baleno's rear seat is at par with most hatchbacks. Probably only inferior to roomy hatchbacks such as Jazz and Bolt.
Plastic quality - again at par with the segment. You cannot expect soft touch plastics seen in 12L S-Cross in Baleno, right?
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks