Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2015, 19:12   #1231
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
We depend a lot based on the number of kilos the car weighs, isn't it?
If the Baleno had weighed more than Swift, say around 1300kgs, would any of us questioned the car's build quality?
In other words, when talking about build quality, more kilos = more peace of mind = more safe!
Regarding the rear seat - I believe, Baleno's rear seat is at par with most hatchbacks. Probably only inferior to roomy hatchbacks such as Jazz and Bolt.
Plastic quality - again at par with the segment. You cannot expect soft touch plastics seen in 12L S-Cross in Baleno, right?
Nowhere in my post have I mentioned anything about the Baleno's weight or it being lighter than the Swift. Build Quality is a much broader term than just talking about the car being heavier & hence perceived to be safer. AFAIK, Baleno's chassis is 10-15% stiffer than the Swift despite weighing a lot less and hence will prove to be more safer.

Also note, that nowhere I mentioned soft touch plastics or compared it to a car from higher segment. When I am in the market to buy an elder sibling to my current car, which MSIL calls Premium, I do expect a much better Plastic Quality, which the Baleno doesn't have.
ScorpMan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 08:47   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyDriver View Post
Continuation of my previous post and answers of some queries of fellow BHPians:

RM said the square button is the keyless button to unlock the tailgate.
Even S-Cross got a separate button for request sensor alongside the electromagnetic button to open the tailgate. Wonder why MSIL cannot merge the two! In the Fiesta, its a single button. As long as you have the smart key with you, pressing the electromagnetic button will pop the boot lid. It is much more user friendly when you carrying stuff to be loaded in the car.

Nice to see that Maruti has kept the font almost the same between the old and the new cars. But the cars themselves couldn't be any further apart be it body style, external appeal, engine capacity, kit, mass market attraction etc. Let's hope the Fun to Drive aspect remains.

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-picture_169300.jpg
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-img_20151028_113025.jpg
Old 4th November 2015, 08:54   #1233
Senior - BHPian

Did anybody notice that the prices of pre-owned Baleno sedans have gone up ever so slightly after all the positive buzz surrounding the new Baleno hatch?
Old 4th November 2015, 10:36   #1234
SRK
Senior - BHPian

It seems the Baleno gets different lights based on the variant.

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-balenolight.jpg

The difference can be seen in the Alpha and Delta models here (not sure if Zeta also has the same lights as the Alpha).

The brochure does not mention about it. All it says is that all models get Rear Combination Lamps with LED.

If it is only available in the Alpha model, then this is one more feature that the lower models will miss but isn't highlighted by Maruti.
SRK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 12:15   #1235
Distinguished - BHPian

Booster jet details trickle in for Baleno,

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-capture.jpg

http://websta.me/p/1110218022548744822_283579169
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 12:55   #1236
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
It seems the Baleno gets different lights based on the variant.

Attachment 1435271
The Baleno tail lamps reminds me the tail lamps of the original jellybean Zen because of its simplicity and elegance . Had the Baleno head lamps were also that simple and had it been named as Zen / SuperZen, it would have been a terrific comeback. For me, somehow, the name Baleno doesn't gel well with the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-images.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 4th November 2015 at 12:59.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 13:37   #1237
BHPian

I don't see the link for the Accessories - can someone share it?
Old 4th November 2015, 13:41   #1238
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
The Baleno tail lamps reminds me the tail lamps of the original jellybean Zen because of its simplicity and elegance . Had the Baleno head lamps were also that simple and had it been named as Zen / SuperZen, it would have been a terrific comeback. For me, somehow, the name Baleno doesn't gel well with the car.
Yes, while the Baleno would be a good successor to the Swift, it does remind of the jelly bean shaped Zen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I don't see the link for the Accessories - can someone share it?
Here you go ACCESSORISE AND STYLE

It takes some time to load.
Old 4th November 2015, 14:57   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Yes, while the Baleno would be a good successor to the Swift, it does remind of the jelly bean shaped Zen.

Here you go ACCESSORISE AND STYLE

It takes some time to load.
Yes, but that only shows the S-Cross - it doesn't show the Baleno.
Old 4th November 2015, 15:06   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Nowhere in my post have I mentioned anything about the Baleno's weight or it being lighter than the Swift. Build Quality is a much broader term than just talking about the car being heavier & hence perceived to be safer. AFAIK, Baleno's chassis is 10-15% stiffer than the Swift despite weighing a lot less and hence will prove to be more safer.
Whats your source that Baleno's chasis is stiffer than Swift?

They have reduced the weight by 10-15 % by increasing the rigidity of the steel used by 10-15%. It means that the overall rigidity is same. The only positive thing to come out is that weight has been decreased to aid fuel efficiency.

Baleno is as safe or unsafe as Swift.
ckranjan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 15:07   #1241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Booster jet details trickle in for Baleno,
Attachment 1435295
Turbocharged petrol with a 6-speed autobox. Very, very nice.

Lesson to Ford - they've had their 1.0 EcoBoost paired with their 6-speed PowerShift transmission, but have not offered it in India in any car - neither the EcoSport or Fiesta which would have been good candidates. A missed opportunity.

So, after VW sets the trend with their Polo TSI, the next one is... Maruti. My my my. Kudos to Maruti for this move.
Old 4th November 2015, 15:12   #1242
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Yes, but that only shows the S-Cross - it doesn't show the Baleno.
You have to choose the Baleno from the list. It will show both the S-cross and the Baleno.
Old 4th November 2015, 16:07   #1243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
Whats your source that Baleno's chasis is stiffer than Swift?

They have reduced the weight by 10-15 % by increasing the rigidity of the steel used by 10-15%. It means that the overall rigidity is same. The only positive thing to come out is that weight has been decreased to aid fuel efficiency.

Baleno is as safe or unsafe as Swift.
Please have a look:

The latest iteration of the Swift was engineered in 2010. This Baleno, has been engineered in 2015. Crash safety regulatory agencies make their scoring criteria stricter with each passing year so manufacturers need to comply to ensure that their new model preferably scores higher if not atleast the same (the latter charectistic only being exploited in countries like India) as the old model. The frustrated emoticons are overused here
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 16:16   #1244
Senior - BHPian

I just wanted to clarify something here.

The European Swift did very well in crash tests and I think it got a very respectable 4* rating in Euro NCAP. It's just that the Indian Swift crumbled like a tin can in crash tests which simply indicates that Maruti did compromise of some structural elements or strength of metal compared to the Euro version.

So, if the Baleno sold in India is as good as the European version of the Swift, I see no issues but if it is 10-15% safer than the Indian version of the Swift, then it's not saying much. Let's hope that Maruti has not compromised on the Indian Baleno as it did with the Swift.

Edit - Euro Swift 2010 got 5* safety rating from EuroNCAP. Just goes to show the terrible cost cutting measures employed by our market leader. shameful !

Link below
http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/suzuki/swift/11026

Last edited by adimicra : 4th November 2015 at 16:34.
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 16:22   #1245
Senior - BHPian

weighing less is simply bad news for safety. No two ways of looking at it. Baleno has no sci-fi materials such as titanium or carbon fibre. It is just thinner gauge steel which has been slightly curved at places to increase strength. Just like the rooftop panel in some economy models has ribs for increasing strength and by all accounts it may be a lighter panel than used for sides and front.

To give the benefit of doubt to Maruti, they may have designed and certified the YRA baleno while there was not such a big brouhaha over NCAP tests and safety. To the credit of Suzuki designers, the baleno is wide and long enough to incorporate some more safety structural members than say the Swift ZDI which doesn't have any place left in the hood to accomodate the frontal crash member.
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks